• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
At the end of the day, Microsoft backtracked. So we won.

But it is a reminder to stay vigilant. :)

I love that we have to stay vigilant. Look out guys around every content Microsoft might fuck us up real good. Lol

This gen is off to a great start.

Raonak

Banned
holy shit. so this was the amazing family sharing they were talking about...

xbone would've been such a perfect disaster

Heretic

So people really believed that Microsoft (lol, serious, MICROSOFT) would have pull off that full sharing with 10 peeps? I like how gullible many gamers are. When its too good, be wary. And especially when its from a business that wanted to treat your physical purchases as digital goods.

I think EVERYONE said it was to good to be true if you followed the threads.

badgenome

I have been laughing off and on about this for like an hour now. God, it's so funny.

Why?! Why'd they have to back down?! Why can't I live in a world where they actually went through with this?!

Phreaker

Yeah, when people were getting excited I said if it was that great it would have been in the press conference. Anyway, glad all this shit is gone. I can't wait to read the Making Of The Xbox One book to hear all the gory details.

aku:jiki

I don't quite understand why we're believing the Pastebin? I can see believing CBOAT, I guess, but the Pastebin is just some bullshit.

What he's describing is exactly how XBLA has worked since the 360 launched 8 years ago. You play for a level or two, or if it's a multiplayer game you get 60 minutes with the full version, the game keeps your progress saved during that session and when the session is over, you're offered a smooth transition into the full version since what you downloaded actually was the full version with restrictions on it. Why would an MS employee claim that this is an entirely new system he's super excited to work on? Shit's 8 years old!

Darknight

No it wouldn't. Let's definitely shit on Microsoft for their shitty policies, but at least let's do it accurately.

Im aware you could have resold through MS or other specific retailers but the person Im quoting was talking about keeping his physical copy just to collect it and his digital activated one to swap at any time. Makes no sense to do it as pointed out by Durante.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love that we have to stay vigilant. Look out guys around every content Microsoft might fuck us up real good. Lol

Did anyone really give a shit about this until after they rolled it back and people rushed to label it as a tragic casualty of "internet whining"?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So people really believed that Microsoft (lol, serious, MICROSOFT) would have pull off that full sharing with 10 peeps? I like how gullible many gamers are. When its too good, be wary. And especially when its from a business that wanted to treat your physical purchases as digital goods.

What does a guy like this......

No, I haven't "always been on the MS train".

I've just mostly played on the system that has things that are better for be personally.

I went from PS2, to Xbox 360 as my main consoles. I was going to get a PS4 first until I heard about the family share plan which would personally be better to me.

Outside of that, I don't get what your reply has anything to do with what I stated.

Have to say now?

I want to see the reasoning behind staying with a componay that is taking even their own fans for a hard ride. Now you can just say you love Xbox more than PS4 and I will take that as a good enough answer but if all this crap over the last 1-2 months has made you a bigger fan of MSFT then I feel sorry for that person.

Not to single you out Bg but I want to know the reasoning for even standing by a company that was not only deceiving you enough by tip toeing around the important facts but also charging you more for online and to get the privilege to enjoy such awesome DRM.

Told you it wasn't the magical family plan you guys wished for.

*cough* Power of the Cloud *cough*

So I think we can safely say no online required DRM is better than that plan.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really really wish this would have come out before they 180'd. However we did get some nice articles decrying the internet whiners.

Boss Man

I'll never look at Major Nelson the same way that's for sure.

I mean, there's PR and then there's just pure lying.

pvpness

It was funny to witness the total logic fail though.

I plan to stay vigilant by not giving them my money.

It really irritates me that I'll have to by a windows OS when I build my Gaming rig for the Oculus Rift next year.

Owzers

At the end of the day, Microsoft backtracked. So we won.

But it is a reminder to stay vigilant. :)

i can't help but feel like it's a hollow victory knowing that the evil lives on. It's like the end of a friday the 13th movie where Jason's corpse springs back to life, Microsoft has showed its hand now for what its future is, DRM and lies.

adelante

LMAO... and this entire time, the one detail we kept pressing microsoft on was whether a friend could qualify as a "family member", when we should've focused on the one-hour limit. Such a freakin mess this has been...

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

You don't think he was referring to the fact the guy said he was going to buy 2 copies (or more) of every game and not the fact that he thought sharing would still be useful?

Obviously having sharing only be 60mins means I'm no longer going to miss the feature but everything else I said still stands. My only option for not needing discs is to buy everything digitally where there is only 1 place to purchase and if I don't like the price then too bad. Previously I would be able to shop around for the best deals on physical games and then install them and never need the disc.

nbraun80

The source to this article is pastebin! Are you kidding me people? This is nothing more than some posters stupid story to get attention.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I'll never look at Major Nelson the same way that's for sure.

I mean, there's PR and then there's just pure lying.

Seriously man, I actually liked watching his vids talking about new games back in the day. I watched that Angry Joe interview and woah....straight lying....

pfft. we have 5 months to go. it's not over.

I agree. Even with the 180 on the DRM and this plan getting shelved, there is still bound to be a lot of other stuff we don't know about yet, policies formulated by the same minds that came up with this stuff. Be vigilant indeed.

That actually would have been a nice feature.

But the fact that they tried to sell it falsely is worrying.
MS has said all games for Xbox One will be available digitally. Isn't it a rule or something that if you sell your game digitally on Live, you have to have a demo?

Note: I don't have Live and may be remembering this incorrectly.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The source to this article is pastebin! Are you kidding me people? This is nothing more than some posters stupid story to get attention.

image.php

Don't doubt CBOAT

Satchel

Banned
I'm still sad that people let them get away with Xbox Live Gold. Why couldn't we have been vigilant back then?

I'd be blaming Sony and Nintendo for that one.

When a company offers a great service, people will pay. When the PS3 and Wii launched, Gold was still infinitely better.

By the time Sony caught up (sort of), it was too late.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone really give a shit about this until after they rolled it back and people rushed to label it as a tragic casualty of "internet whining"?

I want to agree with you but I fear I will soon be in a long list of quotes

youretearingmeapart.gif

nib95

Banned
Buying a day one Xbox One is a precarious proposition. Who knows what else they have planned for later down the line.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They were even kind enough to warn us about it.
"Hey, guys... We might bring back our DRM at any time. Hope you don't mind."

93xfan

Banned
Really scammy of them to hide this before, or in some cases (like Major Nelson interviews) imply it was the full game you could share.

Most of us here knew there's no way publishers would allow full sharing of a game with 10 others.

Yeah, it's pretty shady of them. There's a lot of consumer trust they need to earn back

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You being sarcastic?

Arthur Gies is an unreliable joke.

Actually Arthur Gies is an amazingly reliable source of credible information.

You just have to understand he speaks in code to deceive the Microsoft overlords - just reverse what he says, and that's the truth. "Xbone secret sauce" means "xbone weaker hardware", "Sim City requires online" means "Tacked on as DRM"... you just gotta learn to read between lines.

Top Bottom