• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone: Will Kinect 2 Use Visual DRM? (MCV: Yep, it will)

maltrain

Update:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-extent-of-kinect-2-s-visual-drm-is-beginning-to-emerge/0116138
To address the question of the age of the patent. Yes, the patent is old. But we have been told by UK industry sources within the last month that this system will be implemented on Xbox One.

--------------
Original Post

Xbone: Will Kinect 2 Use Visual DRM?

Source: IGN

ExtremeTech discovered the filing back in November, which is labelled as covering "content distribution regulation by viewing user." Theoretically, if the Kinect establishes there are more people in the room than is permitted according to the licence that users agree to when renting of purchasing content, the movie won't play.

"The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken," it reads.

According to unverified "industry sources" spoken to by MCV within the last month, this is a real thing Microsoft is planning to implement on Xbox One using Kinect 2.

This can't be serious... right?

Today, however, the company has responded to speculation with the following statement: "Microsoft regularly applies for and receives patents as part of its business practice; not all patents applied for or received will be incorporated into a Microsoft product."

Pretty vague... as always.

Lock if old... I didn't find it on search.

This won't happen.

People may like to paint MS as this cartoon villain, but I think something like this would be stretching it a bit.

This thread doesn't have the IGN article in the OP but has the same train of thought.

My view. Easy to get round. Just have most people sitting outside of Kinect field of view. Why not all? What if Kinect has a useful "feature" where it auto pauses when you walk away?

ASIS

There is no way, NO WAY in hell they are actually thinking of doing that.
This thread doesn't have the IGN article in the OP but has the same train of thought.

My view. Easy to get round. Just have most people sitting outside of Kinect field of view. Why not all? What if Kinect has a useful "feature" where it auto pauses when you walk away?

If Kinect can't see you then the movie won't play, it has to be positioned correctly to give you permission to watch the movie.

Again, this is not happening, not with Xbox One.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This won't happen.

People may like to paint MS as this cartoon villain, but I think something like this would be stretching it a bit.

exactly. it would be the actual point at which a lot of people would say 'FUCK THIS CONSOLE' as opposed to the current whining that will obviously result in most still buying it.

Guevara

This won't happen.

To be fair, it's more like the content holders are the cartoon villains (and I have no trouble believing that). MS is just their dimwitted accomplice.

maltrain

What if... I cover the fucking camera? It's still ON, right? XD

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
1ibs4na.jpg

Couch model coming soon.

maltrain

Three months ago: "Always on? It won't happen, they are not so dumb!".

Well...

Three months ago: "Always on? It won't happen, they are not so dumb!".

Well...

Three months ago: "Mandatory Kinect? It won't happen, they are not so dumb!".

Well...

NeoRausch

people need to realize that companies patent ALL KIND if shit. that Deurne mean they will use it.

remember the Wii horse bag riding... thing.

Cynar

hahaha I was joking about this the other day with my friends. The music industry does this by going to offices and charging people per listener, forcing the office to pay a special license as it's now a performance. I am so appalled that they would actually consider even doing this but it's hilarious at the same time.

Portugeezer

Seems unnecessary. They already made it activate games online, adding Kinect to that (i.e. not even allowing a friend to log onto your account) would be ridiculous.

Fistwell

MCV said:
To address the question of the age of the patent. Yes, the patent is old. But we have been told by UK industry sources within the last month that this system will be implemented on Xbox One.
ron-paul.gif

fates

people need to realize that companies patent ALL KIND if shit. that Deurne mean they will use it.

remember the Wii horse bag riding... thing.

Yeah this.

But still, like I noted in the other thread... the fact something like this was even conjured up is a pretty frightening thing on it's own.

I think that if this was in at launch then we would have heard about it along with the other stuff thats been leaked. Most of that was proved right in one way or another. This however was only a patent.

In the future though? Maybe...

Cynar

I think that if this was in at launch then we would have heard about it along with the other stuff thats been leaked. Most of that was proved right in one way or another. This however was only a patent.

In the future though? Maybe...

This would enable the possibility, once you allow this tech into your home you're giving up that privacy. Scary to think about.

Mr. Robot

*family sits down to watch a movie*

Kinect: "I detect more persons than your digital license allows, somone please leave the room"
Joe: "Xbox shut down camera"
Kinect: "I'm afraid i can't comply that action, Joe please leave the room or buy an extra license for only 600 microsoft points"

Top Bottom