• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Aaron Greenberg : “Japanese Content Is Important”

dirthead

Banned
Please tone down the verbal aggression when expressing your opinions. Your points can be made with less hostility.
Xbox's Dumb Talking Head: "Good is good. Bad is bad."

giphy.gif

For the love of god make it stop. I wouldn't mind Sony getting a complete gaming monopoly just to shut these dumb Microsoft motherfuckers up.

Ten_Fold

Xbox did good last gen as far as jrpg games goes, if they can do the same again next gen that would be great.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Phil going to Japan is my favorite meme.
It never fails to get a laugh out of me.
Thats the reason behind Xbox getting lots of Japanese 3rd party ports since 2016, even without a Japanese division. Series, that never would have touched Xbox during the 360 generation are now landing on Xbox One too. Although, Xbox needs an actual Japanese division(and we are getting that).

Woo-Fu

Banned
Greenberg historically has been the one they roll out to tell the biggest lies. I guess Microsoft hates Japan.

Hudo

I don't get why people are calling this PR talk. Ever since 2017 I am seeing many games on Xbox that shouldn't be here in Xbox even during the 360 days like Digimon Survive, Okami HD, Tales Vesperia, Shining Resonance Refrain, Valkyrie Revolution,VC 4, SAO FB,many anime based games and many more niche Japanese titles. It's clear Microsoft is putting a lot of effort into this. Although Xbox lacks the Japanese exclusives it originally had. The only one I know is this

Sorry to go a bit off-topic but is this a visual novel or a dungeon crawler? I recall Experience to be a dungeon crawler dev but the trailer gives me visual novel vibes.

I don't think Xbox ever going to get exclusive Japanese games. I still don't understand games like Left Alive is not coming on Xbox.

It's exceedingly hard to get exclusive Japanese games. I think Phil's big talk on Japan will be proven to be either real or hot air on Nov 2020. If NextBox doesn't launch with an exclusive Japanese title, you can know he was full of shit this whole time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's exceedingly hard to get exclusive Japanese games. I think Phil's big talk on Japan will be proven to be either real or hot air on Nov 2020. If NextBox doesn't launch with an exclusive Japanese title, you can know he was full of shit this whole time.
But the thing Xbox is not even getting Japanese games that are coming to PC for no good reason. Left Alive coming both on PS4 and PC and don't think the game is even big enough for Sony to get some kind of exclusive deal, so I want to know why.

As someone who doesn't care about either Sony or Microsoft's first-party content, the only thing that would matter is Microsoft spending the money to make future games along the lines of Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI multi-platform on their system. Sure, it's nice Soul Calibur VI is a bit improved on the upgraded XBox, but the performance increase isn't enough to get me hooking their console to my television.

Last edited:
Agreed that Microsoft needs a Persona 5 type exclusive to matter in Japan. There HAS to be a reason to compel a Japanese gamer to go out and buy an XBox.

dottme

I don't get why people are calling this PR talk. Ever since 2017 I am seeing many games on Xbox that shouldn't be here in Xbox even during the 360 days like Digimon Survive, Okami HD, Tales Vesperia, Shining Resonance Refrain, Valkyrie Revolution,VC 4, SAO FB,many anime based games and many more niche Japanese titles. It's clear Microsoft is putting a lot of effort into this. Although Xbox lacks the Japanese exclusives it originally had. The only one I know is this

They are clearly making progress. However, if you love Japanese game, there’s no reason to get an Xbox instead of a PlayStation.
You’ll at best get the same game on Xbox but you might miss a lot of game which aren’t ported to Xbox.

They really need two things:
-> consistently get Japanese developer to port their game on Xbox
-> get some exclusive on Xbox which are not on Switch/PlayStation/PC

Xbox's Dumb Talking Head: "Good is good. Bad is bad."

giphy.gif

For the love of god make it stop. I wouldn't mind Sony getting a complete gaming monopoly just to shut these dumb Microsoft motherfuckers up.

This is a post I will resurface come 2020. The crow eating is going to be wonderful. Dirthead I hope you're still around for the festivities.

dirthead

Banned
This is a post I will resurface come 2020. The crow eating is going to be wonderful. Dirthead I hope you're still around for the festivities.

In what sense? There was nothing predictive or time sensitive about my post. I really want these Microsoft motherfuckers to shut up regardless of what ends up actually happening. I'm sick of these stupid non-stories getting spammed everywhere. Yeah. We get it. Everyone knows Japanese developers are important. There isn't a fucking human on the planet that doesn't realize this. Only a clueless idiot would think that Japanese developers aren't important.

You could make a Microsoft shill quotation generator so easily. All you have to do is generate random truisms.

"Microsoft fucker says that gameplay is very important in video games."

"Microsoft dipshit says that improving graphics should be a high priority for video games."

"Microsoft assfuck says that European developers are a wonderful asset."

"Microsoft cock straddler says that embracing the latest technologies is a high priority."

It's fucking empty nonsense.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
In what sense? There was nothing predictive or time sensitive about my post. I really want these Microsoft motherfuckers to shut up regardless of what ends up actually happening. I'm sick of these stupid non-stories getting spammed everywhere. Yeah. We get it. Everyone knows Japanese developers are important. There isn't a fucking human on the planet that doesn't realize this. Only a clueless idiot would think that Japanese developers aren't important.

You could make a Microsoft shill quotation generator so easily. All you have to do is generate random truisms.

"Microsoft fucker says that gameplay is very important in video games."

"Microsoft dipshit says that improving graphics should be a high priority for video games."

"Microsoft assfuck says that European developers are a wonderful asset."

"Microsoft cock straddler says that embracing the latest technologies is a high priority."

It's fucking empty nonsense.

giphy.gif
Or you could take a break from neogaf. No one is forcing you to read anything.

Mr Hyde

Sony monopoly

PS5 - 899$

6 different jobs.

45 minutes of battery life in controller.

No BC.

Endless stream of Knack-sequels.

Mr Hyde

Ooh, do one for Microsoft now!

Microsoft monopoly

10 different consoles on the market.

45 studio acquisitions all making Kinect-games. For Windows.

Every feature hidden behind a 100$ pay wall.

Every time you boot up the console you´re greeted by Phil Spencer talking about how great the future is for Xbox.

All japanese content are canceled.

BC.

No exclusives.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Microsoft monopoly

10 different consoles on the market.

45 studio acquisitions all making Kinect-games. For Windows.

Every feature hidden behind a 100$ pay wall.

Every time you boot up the console you´re greeted by Phil Spencer talking about how great the future is for Xbox.

All japanese content are canceled.

BC.

No exclusives.

Now Nintendo, lol.

down 2 orth

That was a very nice way of saying "Come over to X-Box, we're not going to screw around with Japanese developers like Sony is doing right now."

All the power to them, but I judge by actions rather than words, and Microsoft practically invented the IT culture of turning the customer into a product at the expense of reliable software. Not my cup of tea.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
7VE.gif

So were are my japanese games?

The only one that i see it in xbox one that i wish for ps4 is Stranger of Sword City

71einUkMC0L._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. If Crackdown 3 after years of delays and developmental issues can finally be completed, I feel that there was no reason that something couldn’t of been worked out with Scalebound unless it was beyond repair.
Crackdown is going to disappoint even if it turns out to be the greatest game of all time....just be ready for it
  1. Its a MS Exclusive
  2. Its been Delayed multiple times
  3. Was made by 2 separate studios
  4. Was the game that MS coined the term..power of the cloud
Personally im looking forward to it and i am probably one of the few that didn't mind the second game but this game is going to be fanboy bait just like scalebound was
The decision to cancel Scalebound i agreed with as it looked pretty shit but on a system which people were looking for reasons to attack due to lack of exclusives it was the prime bait

You gotta watch the videos of it in more detail....it looked like a clusterfuck but i suspect the outrage has elements of fanboy attached to it rather than the game just simply being shit.

VertigoOA

Banned
Japanese developed games aren’t half as relevant as they used to.

Persona 5 for instance was niche in appeal. Just over a million worldwide.

Who gives a shit. Japan rarely develops industry shakers and movers unless its Capcom.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Japanese developed games aren’t half as relevant as they used to.

Persona 5 for instance was niche in appeal. Just over a million worldwide.

Who gives a shit. Japan rarely develops industry shakers and movers unless its Capcom.
Literally half of 2018's best sellers were from Japan (Nintendo, specifically).

I agree that some of the markets they cater to are niche. JRPGs will never have the sway they once did, but that trend started all the way back during the PS2 era, so I don't see why that's unique to this generation.

I'd rather have the variety than not. Lots of interesting games out there beyond the holiday blockbusters meant to push sales.

VertigoOA

Banned
Literally half of 2018's best sellers were from Japan (Nintendo, specifically).

I agree that some of the markets they cater to are niche. JRPGs will never have the sway they once did, but that trend started all the way back during the PS2 era, so I don't see why that's unique to this generation.

I'd rather have the variety than not. Lots of interesting games out there beyond the holiday blockbusters meant to push sales.

Nintendo doesn’t make games for other hardware makers. Their cookie cutter rehashes (which are those blockbusters we’d be shitting on western devs for always making but with less effort) always perform well. Despite how good or shitty their hardware is doing. Nintendo also has generalized appeal. Most other Japanese developers ooze horrible anime art direction and cultural tropes.

Microsoft chasing schmup game makers would be a complete waste of time. the strategy of swallowing up studios for exclusive western development is a better focus.

Only Capcom has been able to adjust to the needs of current gamers. The rest are still making waifu simulators for a niche group of 10k forum posters.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nintendo doesn’t make games for other hardware makers. Their cookie cutter rehashes always perform well. Despite how good or shitty their hardware is doing. Nintendo also has generalized appeal. Most other Japanese developers ooze horrible anime art direction and cultural tropes.

Microsoft chasing schmup game makers would be a complete waste of time. the strategy of swallowing up studios for exclusive western development is a better focus.
I guess you and I differ in that I do not believe a company should only focus on "movers and shakers". There are main-line Japanese fighting games that aren't out on X1. That's pretty dismal.

For shmups? I agree, it's a waste of time since generally those games are not financially viable anyway (and I say that as a huge shmup fanboy). Right now, that particular genre is finding a home on the Switch and PS4. But that's the thing: even if it's only 30 or 40,000 people who buy those games (which is a safe estimate, as tiny as that sounds), the console is still catering to a niche. The more niches you cater to, the more gamers you get. An individual game or genre might not have the popularity or pull of Fortnite or Madden, but it adds up over time.

I'm not advocating that Microsoft attempt another 360-era focus on Japan, but in a worldwide market where Japanese games do sell to a degree, the lack of that pool of games will be an objective minus on your system's reputation.

zenspider

This could be in the definition of lip service. After they did thier developer shopping spree 'unboxing' video at e3, it's abundantly clear Microsoft is still, at it's core, focusing on bringing the traditionally PC, Western designs on console.

They didn't secure SEGA before they lost thier talent, they had zero patience for 'breaking' Mistwalker on 360, and the Scalebound debacle has probably soured them to any Japanese development houses that can't afford a cancellation.

I still can't wrap my head around how you get the Panzer Dragoon talent, have them make a digital only Kinect game with MTX, and then scratch your head when you can't figure out what to do with the Phantom Dust IP.

That sums up my feelings on Microsoft and Japan: they know it's a really important piece of the puzzle, but have no idea where it ought to go.

/rant

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
"Japanese content is important. That's why we cancelled Scalebound."
How come is this guy not getting banned or warned? Every reply he makes in MS threads is something stupid like this.

This is a drive by post and adds nothing to the discussion.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
This could be in the definition of lip service. After they did thier developer shopping spree 'unboxing' video at e3, it's abundantly clear Microsoft is still, at it's core, focusing on bringing the traditionally PC, Western designs on console.

They didn't secure SEGA before they lost thier talent, they had zero patience for 'breaking' Mistwalker on 360, and the Scalebound debacle has probably soured them to any Japanese development houses that can't afford a cancellation.

I still can't wrap my head around how you get the Panzer Dragoon talent, have them make a digital only Kinect game with MTX, and then scratch your head when you can't figure out what to do with the Phantom Dust IP.

That sums up my feelings on Microsoft and Japan: they know it's a really important piece of the puzzle, but have no idea where it ought to go.

/rant
I don’t know if you are talking about Crimson Dragon but that was a low budget game d it can be played entirely with a controller. I would know, that’s How played the whole game, never used Kinect and never spent a dime on the game.

As for Phantom Dust, they could have done more than the remaster they released but I don’t think this franchise was gonna be big anyway, it never was on OG Xbox, it only had a small following.

I think it’ll be hard for anyone to buy Japanese companies as they are probably either very expensive or would most likely rather merge instead of being bought. But I doubt that cancelling Scalebound soured anyone. I wouldn’t even be surprised to see another partnership with Platinum Games in the future.

Mr Hyde

Now Nintendo, lol.

Nintendo monopoly

When you buy a digital game, Nintendo revokes the license after 30 days and you have to buy the game again. At double price.

Switch-successor is now Virtual Boy 2, which is a hybrid of VR/Console/handheld/mobiles/dual screens/trading cards/motion controls/labo/toasters/ovens and kitchens.

Nintendo tax now 250% increase.

No more new or minor IPs. Only Mario and Zelda.

Instead of upgrading hardware, Nintendo downgrades it so by 2045 we are all playing with 8-bit hardware again.

Third party support only includes Ubisoft who releases Rayman Legends again and again.

No BC.

Top Bottom