• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Phil Spencer says the metaverse is a ‘poorly built video game’

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s CEO of gaming, is the latest tech exec to take a shot at Meta’s vision of the metaverse. When asked his definition of the metaverse, Spencer described it as “a poorly built video game” at the WSJ Tech Live conference today, as seen at about the 1:12 mark of the video above

“Video game creators have an amazing ability to build compelling worlds that we want to go spend time in,” he said at the conference. “For me, building a metaverse that looks like a meeting room... I just find that’s not where I want to spend most of my time.”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Phil saying poorly built game is hilarious after what he allowed to happen to Halo. Keep running salt in the woods of Halo fans, Phil.

uvpejx.jpeg

GHG GHG This is your time to shine. You deserve your crown, since Phil is supporting you.

GHG:

thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
GHG GHG This is your time to shine. You deserve your crown, since Phil is supporting you.

You don't have to ask me twice.

This guy is hilarious. Just a few years ago he was talking about
"premiere VR experiences without sacrificing performance" :

And then after flip flopping for a bit:

Spencer told CNET on Tuesday that the Xbox One X fully supports virtual reality and that their commitment to it hasn't changed. While Spencer didn't mention VR on stage during Xbox's Sunday presentation, he said he stands by what he said a year ago at the same event. When Microsoft teased the console at E3 last year, then known as Project Scorpio, it gave the impression that it would support virtual reality.

And now because he's fully flopped and they have a decided to not support it he wants to shit on it?

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

And now because he's fully flopped and they have a decided to not support it he wants to shit on it?

??? VR and metaverse are not mutually exclusive terms.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I mean he does have a point. The Zucc is so blinded by his billionaire, tech CEO version of reality that he thought people would want to pay hundreds of dollars for a VR headset just to virtually meet with their coworkers or go shopping in shitty-looking fake stores. Even PlayStation Home was better realized and more entertaining and that was on a console from 2007.

Phil saying poorly built game is hilarious after what he allowed to happen to Halo. Keep rubbing salt in the wounds of Halo fans, Phil.
If Halo Infinite was a building, the building's foundation itself is strong(the core gameplay). It's everything else that's the problem.

Metaverse has a seemingly terrible foundation, so there's nothing for it to fall back on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless a company shows me metaverse is some great life changing way to work or play, everything I've seen looks idiotic.

One of these years when it's ready, someone at work will get hyped up by MS's corporate metaverse asking everyone to strap on demo goggles an MS rep handed out so we can pretend to walk around virtual hallways to sit in a virtual meeting staring at Bob's avatar as he presents his 2026 annual financials.

Somehow this will replace just doing Teams meetings with audio and video feeds.

Cant wait.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I still don’t understand what the ‘Metaverse’ is for, if it is indeed some big innovation I feel they’ve done a horrible job marketing it to people.

DaGwaphics

Need to add a third option about coming to unusual conclusions. Spencer doesn't even take any real shots at VR here, he just takes some shots at the "metaverse" and what they've done so far. I'm glad I'm not the only who doesn't know what this whole thing is supposed to accomplish, three quarters of the people in the clip don't either. At least I know I'm not alone. :messenger_beaming:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Thumbs up in this context means "kill" btw... it symbolizes a raised sword.
I always hate seeing this scene knowing how historically inaccurate it is and the role it played in popularizing this historical inaccuracy.
This isn't known as fact and is still up for debate, contrary to what many website headlines will tell you. While yes, many scholars draw the association that thumbs up means 'swords up" and vise versa, truth is we do not have any written description of the gestures meaning. It could very well mean the same as the contemporary gesture. Source: I'm a big history nerd.

Edit: as always with this kind of stuff, new information will always be found and if you know of any new sources, please share.

Last edited:
Unless a company shows me metaverse is some great life changing way to work or play, everything I've seen looks idiotic.

One of these years when it's ready, someone at work will get hyped up by MS's corporate metaverse asking everyone to strap on demo goggles an MS rep handed out so we can pretend to walk around virtual hallways to sit in a virtual meeting staring at Bob's avatar as he presents his 2026 annual financials.

Somehow this will replace just doing Teams meetings with audio and video feeds.

Cant wait.
Their AR glasses were set to do this and way more. They still aren't released yet.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Metaverse is just The Zucko wet dream/PR/Marketing shit.

The Zucko thinks he is creating something never before seen...When is just an MMO where there are representation of real stuff.

Metaverse is just The Zucko wet dream/PR/Marketing shit.

The Zucko thinks he is creating something never before seen...When is just an MMO where there are representation of real stuff.
yep. just like both musk & bezos invented going to mars. so much for our 'visionary' billionaires...

i mean, at least gates sticks with down to earth stuff, like dystopian social tracking software...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I totally understand what metaverse supporters are trying to get at. Doing stuff on social media clicking a mouse or swiping on their phone is old school. You cant always meet friends and fam or random Twitter followers in real life (assuming you even want to meet random people that closely), so the next best thing is everyone putting on VR goggles and you can pretend to chat and sit beside them in virtual worlds like it's Second Life but in a 3D VR kind of envirnoment. Or those vids I saw where instead of getting off your ass to shop at the mall or browse Amazon, you walk around a digital store buying things off a fake shelf. Add it all up, and FB, MS and tech companies can make shit loads of money on ads plastered everywhere and commercial leases where GAP pays FB a ton of money so people can buy khakis wearing goggles instead of at the mall.

Who knows. Maybe lots of people are itching to buy Oculus, lie on their couch and pretend to be sitting beside their buddy at a virtual bar drinking a digital beer.

I sure dont.

If I want to interact with people that badly, I'll meet them in real life. If I cant, I'll just text or email them what's going on.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

those who keep hyping metaverse also probably didnt play much video game especially mmo.

Most of the people who are talking about metaverse have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. And they've apparently never played an MMO. - Gabe Newell

Pelta88

GHG GHG Be like
200.gif

Phil calling anyone else's attempts in gaming "Poorly built" should be considered a slap in the face to his own audience. He stood by as his premier and marquee franchise turn into the butt of the joke of video games. First with Craig and then with the eventual release of Halo. A game which went from 20 Million players to their online match making looking like

ObviousBlandJoey-size_restricted.gif

In just a few short months.

GHG

Gold Member
??? VR and metaverse are not mutually exclusive terms.

They are used interchagerby in the corporate world, the metaverse is the overall wrapper for all VR experiences. In his full quote he even makes reference to videogames.

What I find particularly strange about this is the fact that Microsoft (and Xbox) themselves have just recently announced a partnership with Meta to provide them with things like xcloud and office applications for the metaverse:

Helghan

How is that flip-flopping? First one is about playing video games in VR, the metaverse is about living and doing everything in a digital world... Just because they use the same tool, VR goggles, doesn't mean he made a 180.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I mean he does have a point. The Zucc is so blinded by his billionaire, tech CEO version of reality that he thought people would want to pay hundreds of dollars for a VR headset just to virtually meet with their coworkers or go shopping in shitty-looking fake stores. Even PlayStation Home was better realized and more entertaining and that was on a console from 2007.
PlayStation Home actually sucked, too, and for many of the same reasons. People just have their rose-tinted spectacles on when thinking about it. It was boring, slow and clunky and mostly just full of male avatars trying to chat up female avatars because those horndogs thought they were actually women. It's only good quality was the couple of fun games you could play. Other wise it was shopping in shitty-looking fake stores for digital t-shirt's and standing around making speech bubbles.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Palmer Lucky somehow looks fit as hell from the neck down, while his chin looks like it’s never heard of a treadmill.

Topher

Gold Member
PlayStation Home actually sucked, too, and for many of the same reasons. People just have their rose-tinted spectacles on when thinking about it. It was boring, slow and clunky and mostly just full of male avatars trying to chat up female avatars because those horndogs thought they were actually women. It's only good quality was the couple of fun games you could play. Other wise it was shopping in shitty-looking fake stores for digital t-shirt's and standing around making speech bubbles.

It was horrible. I spent like 10 minutes in Home and realized it wasn't even a game. You were just......there.

They guy who came up with shit probably shouldn't be in the video game industry. I'm not going to name names though.....

Phil-Harrison.jpg

Top Bottom