• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 15th Anniversary Thread | Almost Old Enough to Play Halo

Cynn

Xbox changed my life in a lot of ways. From XBL beta tester to today I've really loved the brand. Here's to another 15!

c0Zm1c

It was released on PC 2 years later

whereas KotOR was released on both the same year

Not to mention that Xbox Halo CE is different from the PC version
It is? Other than official online play and some multiplayer extras (Banshee, flamethrower, plus some new maps) I don't recall the PC version being any different.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can't believe it's been 15 years. I was just starting high school, life was so much simpler, I'd stop by 711 every month on my way home and pick up a Slurpee and a copy of EGM.

Now it's work, stress, bills, and rent, Fuck I'm old. :(

neerg

Didn't get one straight away, finally bought my Crystal Xbox for Halo2. Its still going strong today.

Traded in a ton of ps2 games in Game downtown. So the xbox + halo2 cost me £10 on top of that.

Fantastic system and game.

I remember convincing my mother to get me one on launch day. I drew up a bunch of graphs and comparisons with the PS2 and Gamecube and how much better it was in terms of specs (125 million polygons, the processor, etc) and she was impressed with how dedicated I was to get one and basically got it for me out of sympathy lol.

Halo blew me away on that day. Still remember. Good times.

I joined the Xbox family for the strangest of reasons. In fact, I would challenge anyone here to describe a more peculiar reason for buying the console than the one that motivated me.

Did it I get for Halo:CE? No.
How about Project Gotham Racing? No.
Perhaps even Abe's Odyssee? Nope.
Okay, so maybe I just wanted the most powerful console on the market? Not even that.

The truth is that I purchased it for a B-tier baseball game (so forgettable that I can't even remember the name, but I think Jeter was on the cover).

I chose the Gamecube when these two consoles launched, largely because I had been completely won over by Rogue Squadron at the previous E3.

I was happy with that purchase for a while, but the lack of a hard drive and the GCN's small and relatively expensive memory cards were a hindrance from day one. It came to a head when I purchased this baseball game. I couldn't even play the damn thing without picking up a much larger memory card, so I said, fuck it, I'm going to buy that monstrosity of a console with a hard drive and never worry about this again.

I scrounged up barely enough money to pick up the console, the forgotten baseball game, and Halo:CE (I was in grad school at the time, so NONE of my income was disposable). I started with baseball, of course, (it's why I plunked down a few hundred bucks in the first place), and basked in the glory of seemingly unlimited storage space.

Later that night I finally decided to give this Halo game a shot. Needless to say, I don't remember playing the baseball game again . . .

I remember trying the Halo demo in EB in the UK with my younger brother - Silent Cartographer level.

We were floored - we went straight home, gathered up our PS1 and N64, (saying goodbye to Perfect Dark was hard) and traded it all in for a console, Halo and 2 pads.

within a year, we had two consoles, 8 pads and every weekend - 4 v 4 LAN.

Such good memories.

Ninja Gaiden Black. Godly game.

There's a reason I still game on Xbox, and it's cos of that big old brick and Xbox Live. I wish MS a) made OG XB back compat a thing and released them all online and b) pushed for some new Ninja Gaiden level uberness on X1.

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my favourite games of all times. Would kill for it again on Xbone BC.

Happy Birthday Xbox. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Happy anniversary to you as well Stinkles. You've been with Microsoft and Xbox nearly the whole time haven't you? Or have you been with Microsoft longer than Xbox?

Started on halo 2 but worked on official Xbox magazine before that. I've worked in gaming since I left school in Edinburgh in 92.

Also I invented sprites and sharers.

Glowsquid

When I was 9-years old, my dad took me to a local video game tourney and they had demo stations running Halo and Unreal Championship. I played through the first two levels of Halo and the game blew my fucking mind. I remember I didn't understand the concept of pushing the sticks in to make the character crouch until a nice intendant did it for me

My fondest gaming memory is finally picking up one at Costco (the Star Wars/Tetris World bundle) and playing through the opening level of star wars: Teh Clone Wars. I still love that game.

Borman

Started on halo 2 but worked on official Xbox magazine before that. I've worked in gaming since I left school in Edinburgh in 92.

Still waiting for the Halo 2 e3 demo to find its way to me :)

Fun fact, my avatar is one of the earliest known Xbox logos from internal documents.

I remember the days where you wrote 3 paragraphs of the weekly update just on the "water" of halo3. Ahh the good old days.

I wonder if they will have their own little video/announcement/stream today other than what 343i is doing for halo later today...

i'd like an announcement about preview members getting an update with dolby atmos :p LOL

Begaria

My one and only experience playing on the OG Xbox was when back in highschool, I had an all nighter gaming session with some friends on a weekend. One friend brought a Gamecube over, one friend brought a Xbox over, and I had a PS2. We played games on all of them, and one of those was Halo 1. It was a good night.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Amazing system playing Halo on my families old CRT from 1979 and having it go out when the flood showed up and then getting a huge modern Samsung was the end of an era for me.

Ninja Gaiden is crazy overrated tho...Shinobi (PS2) is a million times better

Sanjuro

p4ruwDt.jpg

:'(

Drayco21

KOTOR 2, Crimson Skies, and early Xbox Live- the first Xbox was such a fantastic experience. Shame no one seems to care about getting decent emulation for it to preserve some of its weirder exclusives.

I got my xbox exactly one year later for Splinter Cell. I had played allot of Halo up until that point and it was ultimately Splinter Cell that sold me on the system. Played the hell out of that game. Funny enough my system came with the redesigned S Controller and i actually didnt like it as i was used to the Duke at time. So i purchased a Duke alongside with my system and Splinter Cell. I eventually got Halo and then high speed internet, which introduced me to Xbox Live with the release of Rainbow Six 3. Which was my first big online addiction. Then Halo 2 came out in which i played around 6000 matches of. The rest is history.

Happy Birthday

Head.spawn

I used to "troll" people with the voice-changer.. looking back, i thought it was wayy funnier than it actually was.

So many good IPs left with dust on them.

Xbox Connect playing Halo 1 online. Mannn

This system was S-rank for me on the strength of FULLY-ONLINE STREET FIGHTER alone. When Street Fighter Anniversary Collection came out and you could finally have legit games of SSF2 Turbo or SF3: 3rd Strike online...man, it was fucking awesome. Halo 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi and other titles were great too.

Also, modding the machine made it a staple in my TV rack until a few years ago. It was a killer media center, and it's still a pretty damn good emulation box. Cheers to the OG Xbox!

wvnative

What are some good games gaf? Hated microsoft back in the day but I fell in love with dreamcast a few years ago which led me to get an xbox last year.

My game selection is tiny though. I got shenmue 2, Splinter Cell Chaos theory, and both halos.

Oh and battlestar galactica...

Help me build that collection.

Smokey

Halo MP defined my HS years. Will never forget system linking Xboxs, and then discovering XBconnect to play "online" 4v4.

Bumhead

Banned
Happy Birthday Xbox!

Apart from the latter years of the 360 and the early years of the One, I think the Xbox brand has been pretty consistently awesome, actually. It's certainly delivered some of my favourite games and gaming experiences of the last 15 years.

Bought my OG Xbox after playing Halo at a friends house. Simply had to run out and buy my own the very next day.

Qwark

Is there still an announcement coming from Phil Spencer? Or did he give all of his backwards compatibility announcements already? I would kill for Xbox b/c, but we already have gotten quite a few nice surprises this month.

The OG Xbox is top 3 consoles of all time for me. Nothing will ever beat system linking Halo 1 with your best high school friends until 3:30 in the morning. And being a huge Star Wars fan, the Xbox was where you had to be. Republic Commando, Kotor, Kotor 2, Battlefront, Battlefront 2, Jedi Starfighter, Lego Star Wars, Jedi Outcast, Revenge of the Sith all were at least pretty good and that was perfect for middle school/high school momshotdad.

Glowsquid

What are some good games gaf? Hated microsoft back in the day but I fell in love with dreamcast a few years ago which led me to get an xbox last year.

My game selection is tiny though. I got shenmue 2, Splinter Cell Chaos theory, and both halos.

Oh and battlestar galactica...

Help me build that collection.

Considering your mention of the dreamcast, panzer dragoon orta and jet set radio futures are obvious suggestions.

did you like the battlestar Galactica game? Personally I love it and I think it'sm ad underrated. Anyway, if you do, the Xbox has a respectabl lineup of good to great flight combat games

-Airforce Delta Storm
-Battle Engine Aquila
-Crimson Skies
-Defender
-Gun Metal
-Star Wars Starfighter
-Jedi Starfighter
-Yager

I miss my OG Xbox, one of the best systems to exist. Still has some of the best versions of game like Psi-Ops an great exclusives like Otogi

Happy Anniversary Xbox and Halo!
I've made so many memories and friends on the system.

Don't forget your brief stint in acting.

I will never forget a lot of experiences on this thing. I still have my Halo version of the console on me.

Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Splinter Cell online is still one of the best things I have experienced in gaming
Halo, of course.

Outstanding stuff.

YES. Pandora Tomorrow, 2v2. Oh my GOD it was so good. Still never been matched imo.

OMg yes.. . Splinter Cell and a game changing mechanic to actually be hidden in the shadows :p .. finally to realization, even if it was buggy LOL

Loved that game and watched every bonus bit included. haha...

wvnative

Considering your mention of the dreamcast, panzer dragoon orta and jet set radio futures are obvious suggestions.

did you like the battlestar Galactica game? Personally I love it and I think it'sm ad underrated. Anyway, if you do, the Xbox has a respectabl lineup of good to great flight combat games

-Airforce Delta Storm
-Battle Engine Aquila
-Crimson Skies
-Defender
-Gun Metal
-Star Wars Starfighter
-Jedi Starfighter
-Yager

Its not horrible but less good than the starfighter games.

I only played the first mission though, i'm gonna play it today and give it more of a chance.

FYI I have the starfighter games on PS2.

Deception

Oh man, I have so many great memories from the OG Xbox that have really changed my life is so many ways. From the first days of playing games like Jet Set Radio Future and falling in love with art and graffiti, to getting Halo 2 on launch day and playing online. From playing online and joining a clan on Halo 2, I was introduced to Graphic Design and started using the Adobe Suite at 12 years old and fell in love with design from thereon. Flash forward to now, after majoring in HCI and getting a full-time job designing, I think it's safe to say that Xbox has had one of the biggest impacts on my life outside of my friends and family.

Edit: But in sad news my Xbox One bricked on me last night after a software update, so Xbox you giveth and taketh.

Glowsquid

Its not horrible but less good than the starfighter games.

I only played the first mission though, i'm gonna play it today and give it more of a chance.

FYI I have the starfighter games on PS2.

Ah, very well then. The Xbox version of the first Starfighter does have a minor facelift and bonus single-player missions and multiplayer maps over the ps2 release, thought I doubt most people would care enough to "upgrade".

I'll also mention Gunvalkyrie.

I remember playing an xbox at my young cousins place and shortly after that buying one, it wasn't exactly just for halo but that game did tip the scales for me, it was more for PGR since I loved MSR on the dreamcast and the visual jump at the time was nice.

My xbox is in my bedroom cupboard so I might pull it out this evening for some fun in forza motorsport.

wvnative

Ah, very well then. The Xbox version of the first Starfighter does have a minor facelift and bonus single-player missions and multiplayer maps over the ps2 release, thought I doubt most people would care enough to "upgrade".

I'll also mention Gunvalkyrie.

I hear a lot of praise for Gunvalkyrie. Probably a sign I should check that one out for sure.

Top Bottom