• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 15th Anniversary Thread | Almost Old Enough to Play Halo

headerwcs2e.png

Back in 1999 a group of Microsoft employees comprised of Seamus Blackley, Ted Hase, Otto Berkes, and Kevin Bachus began work on a “Windows Entertainment platform” with the hope to see Microsoft release a gaming console to rival Sony’s Playstation 2 by leveraging the company's’ DirectX technology. These friends would label the project “DirectX Box” after said technology and a year after the idea had first started to come together it was officially unveiled as the Xbox, “the future of console gaming” which would eventually release on November 15th 2001.

gamesrealt6sho.png

*As voted by NeoGAF.

exclusivesv6s1c.png

*As of the 6th generation. Titles exclusive from 2001 - 2005
1zcsew.png
2xasdz.png

3vqsb3.png
4oysfl.png

512sqg.png
6lust9.png

77ssnw.png
8ilsfo.png

96bscd.png
10i1se7.png

multiplat2qsg0.png

1-half-life2wjsgd.png
2-halocombatevolved32s6l.png

3-silenthill2iesjr.png
4-starwarsknightsoftha2sy7.png

5-grandtheftautovicec14sw6.png
6-grandtheftautosananvfsnk.png

7-theelderscrollsiiimfjsoq.png
8-grandtheftautoiiihss6p.png

9-burnout3takedowndos7y.png
10-shenmueiiuisn6.png

videosvpsap.png

devmem8wsbz.png

I'll be adding to this as I see them.

Happy anniversary!

watdaeff4

Had no interest in the OG Xbox until KOTOR.

Bought the system (used at Gamestop - only time I've ever bought a used system) just for that one game.

Was worth it just for that one game. Playing Halo and Halo 2 (esp the MP) iced it as a quality console.

Why is Halo Multiplatform?

Wasn't the original also on PC?

Vanmunt

Banned
Bought one for Oblivion, then I got to Play Knights of the old Republic......... that reason alone was good enough to warrant the purchase of an xbox.

Great game... but OutRun 2006 was on PS2 also. That being said, I have many fond memories of the OG Xbox. In fact, some of my best gaming memories ever.

m23

Those years flew by quick. Great system with some truly great games.

I still have some original games lying around like phantom dust and Mechassault. Classics.

pitchfork

Yeah this is better than my thread, lol

Mods feel free to lock mine up : )

Happy 15 Birthday Xbox! feel like the team is in a great place right now and look forward to 15 more!

Spades

I loved the OG Xbox

links-2004-1307.jpg
Sega_GT_Online_Coverart.png

These bad boys took up most of my online gaming time initially, before I got into Rainbow Six and then Halo 2.

It was released on PC 2 years later

whereas KotOR was released on both the same year

Not to mention that Xbox Halo CE is different from the PC version

Just went off how it was done in that voting thread to keep things consistent in how things were broken up.

Great game... but OutRun 2006 was on PS2 also. That being said, I have many fond memories of the OG Xbox. In fact, some of my best gaming memories ever.

But it looks like it wasn't as correct as I thought. I'll give everything another pass when I have access to my machine again.

J-Roderton

Xbox blew my mind when I first got it. Had Halo and Project Gotham. It was also my family's first DVD player. It was some next level shit for me when I could rip a cd onto it and listen to my music while racing.

Montresor

Personally I was never interested in the original Xbox. I was all about Gamecube during that gen (one of my favourite systems ever).

But, the 360 is where Microsoft got its hooks into me. I don't care about original Xbox, but I love the 360.

m23

Xbox blew my mind when I first got it. Had Halo and Project Gotham. It was also my family's first DVD player. It was some next level shit for me when I could rip a cd onto it and listen to my music while racing.

Ripping CDs and playing games blew my mind back then. Used to play GTA with my own music.

SPCTRE

Probably my favorite console ever in terms of build quality and general look and feel.

Highly recommend Dean Takahashi's books on the origin stories of both the OG Xbox as well as the 360.

Isurus

Possibly my favorite console of all time. Day 1 purchase because of Halo. Beta tested Xbox Live and have been on it ever since. Just a great overall experience. Well done, MS. Now bring back some of those original IP's!

Ricker

Nice,I still have my OG XBox at the trailer park,hooked up to a 17 inch CRT(with a built in VHS player of course lol)...a bunch of songs on it,Temple of Doom and Halo,Ninja Gaiden,ARX FATALIS,Crimson Skies,Shenmue II,Psychonauts and PSO Episode 1&2...damn the memories ;)

Happy 15th XBox Live.

EDIT: Oh and Buffy Vampire Slayer,great melee combat feel in this one.

Azzawon

Those top 10 games for both exclusive and multiplat. My god. I wish I could go back to the days where they were fresh off the shelves.

I have always been an Xbox fan but never a Halo fan, a series I couldn't get into despite numerous attempts. Looking back it saddens me a bit seeing how diverse the OG library and the early years of the 360 were and I play Xbox One this gen.....it just isn't the same for me these days.

Happy Birthday though, thanks for some great memories

Neptonic

The OG xbox is one of the only consoles I've never actually seen or touched IRL. I've always wanted to hold The Duke of controllers.

Maybe emulation will get better one day, or Microsoft will add BC to the One.

Lazaro

OG Xbox is in the top 3 of my favourite consoles.

The library and the range of games the system had is fucking phenomenal.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Rallisport 1 and 2 are among my favorite games ever. Obviously halo too.

But let's get some amped love in here too

Falchion

Happy birthday Xbox! I remember going over to my friend's house to play Halo right after he got it for Christmas that year. That was what got me hooked on competitive FPS's and the franchise in general.

KevinG

Had a GameCube at launch, which was my first launch console. I was only 12, but I vehemently hated Xbox.

Less than a year after Xbox launched, my parents were buying a treadmill from a guy in southwest Florida who was about to move to Canada. He offered to throw in the Xbox (w/ Halo and Dead or Alive) if they bought it. They bought it, but he backed out of the Xbox deal at the last second.

So I called him up, with my parent's permission, and offered him all the money I had to buy the Xbox from him. I had $50 (reserved for Metroid Prime). He took the offer (probably out of pity), and that was that.

I didn't know much about Halo, but it was my first twin stick shooter, and that blew my mind when I figured out how to play it. Thought that The Silent Cartographer was the first level for the longest time because that's where the guy left off his playthrough.

Love Xbox, and despite the controversy of RROD and the blunder of the initial Xbox One marketing, they've been a staple on this hobby for (almost) 15 years for me.

m23

Rallisport 1 and 2 are among my favorite games ever. Obviously halo too.

But let's get some amped love in here too

Funny thing about Amped. I got Amped and Halo when I first got an Xbox. I didn't touch Halo for about the first two weeks because I played the crap out of amped. Then I finally got onto Halo, mind was blown after that.

Like I said in the other 15th anniversary thread, it's still got great exclusives. System is definitely still worth owning.

Ninja Gaiden Black
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future
Outrun 2

Top Bottom