• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 20/20: Join Us as We Look into the Future of Xbox

Sota4077

Xbox 20/20: Join Us as We Look into the Future of Xbox
by Jerret West, CVP, Gaming Marketing • May 5, 2020 @ 6:00am

What was already going to be a once-in-a-generation year for gaming – a new generation of consoles, a wave of new next-generation games, and the launch of new ways to play with game streaming – 2020 has become the year that challenged us all and tested every commitment we’ve made in the face of COVID-19. Difficult tests tend to reveal your true priorities, and for us they are the health and safety of our employees, our fans and partners. We also want to be transparent in letting our players know what we are doing and what we are thinking during such a crucial time.
Clearly, this year has challenged us to rethink the way we come together to celebrate the important milestones in gaming, and that means working with the knowledge that we may not be able to come together in the same place. Having seen firsthand the resolve of Xbox players, families and friends coming together, doing the right thing and staying home to help flatten the curve, we’ve all felt energized to rethink our approach. How can we share that feeling of excitement and anticipation we all get in gaming’s biggest moments? How could we capture and distribute that feeling I got when I joined Team Xbox – that moment when I got to see what happens next.
So, what is in store for 2020?
This is a momentous year for Xbox, with our next-gen console paving the way for all our games and services to come together in even better ways. Here’s what 2020 looks like, just to start:
  • Our goal remains to launch Xbox Series X and Halo Infinite this Holiday
  • All 15 Xbox Game Studios teams are hard at work on next-generation games for Xbox Series X and Xbox Game Pass
  • The best development teams around the world are working hard to have their games ready to play on Xbox Series X this holiday
  • For PC players, we plan to support the community by making all our major releases at launch available with Xbox Game Pass for PC, including Halo Infinite, Wasteland 3, Minecraft Dungeons and of course, Microsoft Flight Simulator.
  • We have new updates and titles lined up for Xbox Game Pass for console and PC
  • We’re expanding Project xCloud into new countries and on new devices—and later this year Project xCloud and Xbox Game Pass will come together, enabling you and your friends to play together in more ways.
It’s a lot – and that’s saying something in 2020, a year which could be summed up as “a lot.” With all this in mind, we set out to create new touchpoints to celebrate gaming and share what’s next with our global community.
Xbox 20/20
Starting with the May 7 episode of Inside Xbox, we will be showcasing what happens next in the world of Xbox, every month, which is why we’re calling it “Xbox 20/20.” These monthly moments will take place throughout the rest of the year and will be a way for us to engage, connect and celebrate with you about what’s in store for the next generation of gaming, including what’s next for Xbox Series X, Xbox Game Studios, Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud. Every month will bring something different. Stay tuned to Xbox Wire for more details.

For the Xbox 20/20 May update, we will focus on giving you a first look at next-gen gameplay, trailers and sneak peeks from a wide variety of publishing partners and independent developers across the globe and industry, including Ubisoft’s recently announced “Assassin’s Creed Valhalla,” and hear from game creators about what they’re doing with their games on Xbox Series X.
We’ll be confirming games that utilize our new Smart Delivery feature, which ensures that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. And all the games you’ll see will be Xbox Series X Optimized, meaning they are built to take advantage of the powerful Xbox Series X features that make games look and feel incredible, including 4K resolution at up to 120 frames per second, DirectStorage, hardware-accelerated DirectX raytracing, super-fast load times and much more.
In July, we will dedicate time to focus on the incredible games coming from Xbox Game Studios. A number of our studio teams are looking forward to sharing first looks at new gameplay, insights from development teams being optimized for Xbox Series X, and brand-new game announcements. We cannot wait to share this initial look at what some of those teams are working on.
How to join Xbox 20/20 on May 7
I hope you’ll join me at 8 a.m. PDT on May 7 for the next episode of Inside Xbox and the first moment of Xbox 20/20. You can tune-in on:
  • Mixer.com/Xbox
  • Twitch.tv/Xbox
  • Facebook.com/Xbox
  • Twitter.com/Xbox
  • YouTube.com/Xbox for the 4K stream.
Live language support for the episode will be in English, LATAM Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German and Italian, and the episode will include live Audio Descriptions at /MixerAD.
As we’ve seen in recent weeks, gaming is being used for entertainment, for inspiration, and for strengthening social connections between you and your friends through shared adventures. As you continue to connect with your friends around the world through gaming, we look forward to sharing more of our plans on Xbox Wire so you can all join us as we look into the future of Xbox.
You’ll get more news and updates on Xbox Series X, reveals of new Xbox Game Studios and development partner titles, details on the future of Xbox Game Pass, and much more.
I’ve always believed in the future Team Xbox has been building with its community around the world. To join that vision and make it part of my own responsibilities is something I just couldn’t pass up when I joined the Xbox Marketing team last December and, today, I feel more reassured than ever that we’ll be able to bring it to pass with the help of our community.
Stay safe and be good to one another.

Tamy

Banned
giphy.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I was hoping to see more 1st party games before July but it's still nice to see next gen 3rd party games

Compsiox

Banned
They say monthly updates from here on out but go on to skip June.

Also, I guess we might not get brand new games announced on Thursday since they didn't even bother teasing that like they did for July. Oh well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Love the transparency :messenger_ok: Was wondering what they'll do in June. May is 3rd party games, July is 1st party games, what do they have in store for June? Xbox Series S reveal maybe? :pie_thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I hope they plan to support Steam as well. I'm really not a fan of buying games on Windows Store or Gamepass.

dolabla

I'm more excited about the Series X than I've been about any other MS console. Switch + Series X is the way this holiday!

It feels like a brand new start to me, especially after the Xbox One debacle. Microsoft has done everything right up to this point.

I'm ready to see this next gen footage. Glad they are doing this.

LETS GOOOOO! Can't wait for Next Gen! I do applaud MS for how they've handled the messaging of what they're doing. I wish Sony would follow suit and actually tell us stuff. And I appreciate Phil Spencer and what he's done with Xbox. He's so likeable and seems like he genuinely cares about what gamers want.

I just want MS and Sony to lay all their cards on the table and start the countdown to November.

Show us the box with teardown (Sony...), price, console packaging, all features, launch date, all launch titles with gameplay, first and second year tentpole title announcements, and open preorders already!

Last edited:
I know Sony doesn't really need to market the PS5 much, but if I were a Playstation main, I think I'd pull my hair out.

Sony is a company these days that live in their own bubble. I've worked with them in the past and trying to get anything out of them is like pulling a 5 year olds teeth.

And I don't mean that in a mean or dick way, but rather being able to find the right people to get in touch with or build a good business relationship was/is a lot harder for me than it ever was with MS.

I'll give you 1 example, I requested an invitation to E3 2018 via a month before in advance. The guy took a week to respond and gave a shitty response of "we got your inquiry, but no promises" fast forward to the week before E3 I still had no answer. my flight was on Saturday to get to LA and the confernece was on Monday the following week. So at this point I thought oh well, guess not gonna go attend their confernece physically.

Then by some miracle on Friday the day before my flight I get the email with the invitation so go figure lol. Obviously I was happy, but the way it was handled is not how I liked.

Call me an entitled asshole, but sending out invites at the last second without any other communication in between is just strange to me.

Meanwhile, with Microsoft it's like text messeging when it comes to emails with them and there has never been any issues or declined requests.

Either way, next gen is hype and I am excited for both tech giants to produce great quality stuff and doing my best too work with them and see how the future of the industry shapes.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
MS has been doing an excellent job promoting next gen. Hmm wonder what they will talk about in June? The price of the Series X?

Yeah, they've been on point. Sometimes I feel like we're back n May-bot territory with the buzzwords being hit like transaprent, authentic etc. but they took a lot of shit last gen so I don't really have a problem with them crowing at the moment. I'm just excited to see some games. I also like the mixer platform bizarrely enough so don't know why it's not in 4K

I was hoping that rumour of the PS5 teardown would be true on 6th May, but the same source also said they'd be something today.....so guessing it was fake. The more interesting one will be June and the1st party stuff, but hoping to see Valhalla, Legion, Cyberpunk, MC Dungeons at least

Kacho

Gold Member
Hmmm, my experience:

Twitch: Shitty quality, medium lag, reliable
Mixer: Best quality, lowest lag, often unreliable
Youtube: Medium quality, medium lag, very reliable

Only for those livestreams of events.
Nailed it

Mixer is outstanding when it works.

YouTube continues to be my go-to simply because there are barely any issues.

I'm hoping for some new announcements but they didnt seem to tease that at all for the event this week?
There will be new third party announcements at this event but if you're looking for Xbox-related announcements that will be covered in a future event. Likely June or July.

Also, just now

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sony is a company these days that live in their own bubble. I've worked with them in the past and trying to get anything out of them is like pulling a 5 year olds teeth.

And I don't mean that in a mean or dick way, but rather being able to find the right people to get in touch with or build a good business relationship was/is a lot harder for me than it ever was with MS.

I'll give you 1 example, I requested an invitation to E3 2018 via a month before in advance. The guy took a week to respond and gave a shitty response of "we got your inquiry, but no promises" fast forward to the week before E3 I still had no answer. my flight was on Saturday to get to LA and the confernece was on Monday the following week. So at this point I thought oh well, guess not gonna go attend their confernece physically.

Then by some miracle on Friday the day before my flight I get the email with the invitation so go figure lol. Obviously I was happy, but the way it was handled is not how I liked.

Call me an entitled asshole, but sending out invites at the last second without any other communication in between is just strange to me.

Meanwhile, with Microsoft it's like text messeging when it comes to emails with them and there has never been any issues or declined requests.

Either way, next gen is hype and I am excited for both tech giants to produce great quality stuff and doing my best too work with them and see how the future of the industry shapes.

When the Xbox One was about to be released at E3 2013, Microsoft was prompt with their replies. I requested a sign language interpreter and they said yes... But when I got there, the interpreter never came. Even though I was pretty close to the show stage, I couldn't read lips of anyone there... Not that it would have mattered because I'm not great at it anyway. LOL! Those black and green badges were 2 of my most prized possessions that E3. I miss being in that world.

Sony never responded to my email.

When the Xbox One was about to be released at E3 2013, Microsoft was prompt with their replies. I requested a sign language interpreter and they said yes... But when I got there, the interpreter never came. Even though I was pretty close to the show stage, I couldn't read lips of anyone there... Not that it would have mattered because I'm not great at it anyway. LOL! Those black and green badges were 2 of my most prized possessions that E3. I miss being in that world.

Sony never responded to my email.

You have to consider yourself lucky if Sony ever responds to anyone's email period. Honestly, I think what it is the person working behind the desk that's answering emails/call - some people are just absoluitely amazing, meanwhile others are either too lazy, irresponsible or just plain have horrible social skills, but then you wonder how they got the job in the first place. As dumb as this sounds, I normally send am email once every week if the first email does not get a response, sometimes you just gotta do that, and that may seem like spam, but it is not if you word it the right way and speak politely.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You have to consider yourself lucky if Sony ever responds to anyone's email period. Honestly, I think what it is the person working behind the desk that's answering emails/call - some people are just absoluitely amazing, meanwhile others are either too lazy, irresponsible or just plain have horrible social skills, but then you wonder how they got the job in the first place. As dumb as this sounds, I normally send am email once every week if the first email does not get a response, sometimes you just gotta do that, and that may seem like spam, but it is not if you word it the right way and speak politely.

Yeah... Most companies that I requested an invite from were pretty prompt and put my name on the lists. CD Projekt Red and Nintendo ALWAYS were amazing to me. I actually developed a good relationship with Nintendo back then.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Less than two days to go!!! I'm super hyped!!!

Great to know that the games shown on May 7th will be fully optimized for Xbox Series X and will showcase some of the console's features. Third party titles are huge and make up around 90% of every console's gaming library when all is said and done. To be able to see what Valhalla and others will look like on Series X is going to be great as im all in day one for Series X and since I could have 5-8 third party titles for it later this year and early 2021, I definitely want to see what those games look like running on Series X and what features they're using.

The monthly update is great. I love the idea. As long as it's not horrible episodes of what Inside Xbox was, im 100% all in. Keep the name, change the format which I believe they have and just show us games.

Already knew this but having First Party titles in July is fine because that's when I expect the price and release date to be announced as well as when pre-orders go live. Makes sense as you can't do any of this stuff without knowing that stores are back to being open and conducting normal business operations.

I do wonder what June will be centered around. My guess would be Indies via their ID@Xbox program.

Either way, im super fucking hyped!!!

Vawn

Banned
I wonder if we will see any exclusive games during the show on Thursday.

I need a reason to give my wife why I need a PS5 AND an Xbox SeX (to go along with our four Switches).

Last edited:
Top Bottom