• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Dev Kits Pictures

Again sorry if old...

xenon1.jpg

xenon2.jpg

xenon3.jpg

xenon4.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
What, so the dev kits are called Xenon, while the console itself is called Xbox 360?? Or did they just recently change to 360?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kiriku said:
What, so the dev kits are called Xenon, while the console itself is called Xbox 360?? Or did they just recently change to 360?

Xenon's the codename, like Dolphin was for Gamecube, like Revolution is for..whatever they're going to call it. I don't think Xenon was ever a candidate for the final name.

Yeah i guess it's a codename, like GameCube was called Dolphin and Ds was called Nitro.
Altough i really like Xenon much better then 360...
I can already see people say 360 in my language in the shops.
That will sound retarded.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
.:RaZieL:. said:
ATi X800 videoprocessor - DirectX 10 support

There's no such thing as a X800 chip that supports DX10, or DX10 as we knew it previously. The API specifications have changed. We now have:

WGF 1.0 - basically DX9 - the X800 likely is compliant with this, so yes, it's compliant with "the next DX"

WGF 2.0 - expected to map more closely to what was DX10 before, but it's possible MS may cut it back to match the X360 hardware...which would make WGF 3.0 the full spec we were expecting from DX10 previously (e.g. with SM4.0, which btw, isn't even actually specified yet as far as we know).

The X360 should fall between the DX9 and "DX10" - closer to DX9 in shader spec (SM3.0+), though, and closer to DX10 in terms of implementation probably (the move to unified shaders) - though there could be some other "DX10" features borrowed aswell, we'll have to wait and see.

Hajaz

the x800 doesnt have all the features x360 gpu will have, thats for sure. Witch makes you wonder about how well first gen games will take advatage of the gpu, or for that matter, how much the madden stuff were currently seeing does...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hajaz said:
how much the madden stuff were currently seeing does...

The madden stuff we're currently seeing is, according to EA, how they expect it to look on the next-gen systems - finished next gen systems - not necessarily something running on a specific dev kit now (it's their "visual target"). At least that's what they're saying for the moment.

But yes, the later the final GPU arrives (it's expected in the summer, btw, which could be anytime from next month), the less likely it is most first gen titles will take fuller advantage of it. However, they can target the final silicon's performance and features without actually having it in the kit, via emulation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hajaz said:
hrm... so you mean nv's g70 tapped out before x360's gpu?

No? I'm just saying that officially, you've seen nothing running off of any devkits. The Madden pics are concept pics, if you believe EA.

The G70 only taped out in the last couple of weeks, according to reports. The X360 GPU reportedly taped out between Jan and March. And the G70 in all likelihood has nothing to do with any of the consoles..

Pug

Xbox 360 GPU is reportdliy going to arrive for developers mid to late summer, It won't be next month! As for tapping out, who knows the exact dates when they were finalised. All I know is that MS is hoping that ATI'S GPU will give very simialr specs to that, thats going into PS3 I think this is the risk MS is taking releasing first.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pug said:
Xbox 360 GPU is reportdliy going to arrive for developers mid to late summer, It won't be next month! As for tapping out, who knows the exact dates when they were finalised. All I know is that MS is hoping that ATI'S GPU will give very simialr specs to that, thats going into PS3 I think this is the risk MS is taking releasing first.

We only have reports about the taping out issues, for sure, but all agreed on Q1 for the R500 (don't know if they were all just copying each other, though!). The only word we've heard on PS3's is that it'll be done by the end of the year, which could mean anything, and doesn't necessarily reflect on when it'll tape out (presumably that'll come earlier).

I hadn't heard that the R500's arrival in dev kits was being qualified as "late" summer, just "summer". It could be different developers will get them at different times, but all will have them by the end of the summer (first parties might get them sooner, big third parties, then others?) I certainly think MS will have runs of the final chip done in early summer, though perhaps not in enough quanitities to start upgrading everyone's dev kits at the same time. Presumably developers will get the chip before, or at roughly the same time as when mass manufacturing begins, which I would think ill have to start happening soon (especially if they want 2-3m of them out there by the end of the year) - my guess would be around June.

Hajaz

gofreak said:
No? I'm just saying that officially, you've seen nothing running off of any devkits. The Madden pics are concept pics, if you believe EA.

The G70 only taped out in the last couple of weeks, according to reports. The X360 GPU reportedly taped out between Jan and March. And the G70 in all likelihood has nothing to do with any of the consoles..

uh.
But you said you expected it to be done this summer
If it tapped out between jan and march, doesnt that mean it IS done?

StRaNgE

Banned
Wow, i figured all you Gaffers would have known that G5 Apple computers were the next Xbox dev kits. that was cracked a long time ago. :)

i personally find in very humorous that not only does bill gates use a Mac for his persoanal computer he now uses them for his gaming section as well.

Always got a laugh that PC magazine used Macs for thier Art department as well. :lol

Pug

Gofreak, apparently manufacturing is planned for mid August. And mid summer to late summer is info from a developer who I would assume would pretty high up on MS developers list.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That looks more like someone made up some fake Microsoft stickers and pasted them on a G5.

That's exactly what they look like right now. And the G5 case is still a freaking cool case.

Thats the same case that was used on the OLD Xbox (original) devkits before the large , clear plastic model came into existance.

I haven't seen the xbox 360 cases but I have a feeling that isn't the new 360 (final) devkit. I would expect to see a devstation that is modelled after the console itself, just like every other game console that has ever been developed on. :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
artful_dodger said:
Thats the same case that was used on the OLD Xbox (original) devkits before the large , clear plastic model came into existance.

I haven't seen the xbox 360 cases but I have a feeling that isn't the new 360 (final) devkit. I would expect to see a devstation that is modelled after the console itself, just like every other game console that has ever been developed on. :)

no it's not.
xdk.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hajaz said:
uh.
But you said you expected it to be done this summer
If it tapped out between jan and march, doesnt that mean it IS done?

Taping out and starting mass manufacturing are two different things. Taping out signals the end of the design process, I believe, but not the volume availability of silicon. I expect them to have sufficient volumes by the end of the summer to put them in dev kits, not for it to tape out then. A chip usually tapes out long before it's on the market or available in large quanitities.

The process is probably more complicated than I'm describing anyway...you could have multiple tape-outs, theoretically, if your first taped out design was faulty etc.

fugimax

Have some of you been under rocks? o_O

1. Xenon Alpha Kits are Power Macintosh G5's straight from Apple
2. *Alpha* kits. Final kits will be using actual custom hardware / case
3. These are the first pictures of the kit I've seen (nothing exciting, it's just a PM G5)
4. Plenty of games exist for Mac. It isn't comparable to the plethora of games for PC...but there are plenty of games for Mac.

*apple-tab back to World of Warcraft on PowerBook*

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The funny part is, whoever posted the pictures included the kit's SERIAL NUMBER, which means Microsoft knows exactly where the pictures were taken :)

dorio

Banned
SteveMeister said:
The funny part is, whoever posted the pictures included the kit's SERIAL NUMBER, which means Microsoft knows exactly where the pictures were taken :)
I think it's an our colony pic.

Top Bottom