• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Fall Update - First details...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/default.aspx

Official press release:
Expand Your Xbox LIVE Network of Pals by browsing the Friends lists of other Xbox LIVE members

New Experience to be made available on December 4th with the Xbox 360 Fall Dashboard Update

Microsoft is making it even easier to expand your Friends network on Xbox LIVE, starting with the Fall Dashboard Update on December 4th. Members will now be able to check out the friends lists of fellow Xbox LIVE members right from the Dashboard. With this new feature, members can find old friends or connect with new ones within the community of more than 8 million people on Xbox LIVE around the globe and send messages and game invites, as well as compare games and Achievements.

With the prevalence of social media websites such as MySpace and FaceBook, this type of capability has largely come to be expected from consumers as a means to relate in an online community. Xbox LIVE continually seeks new ways to better serve the expectations of its members, which often result in enhancements made available for free through the bi-annual Dashboard updates.

When the Fall Dashboard update is distributed on December 4th, the new default setting on Xbox LIVE will be active enabling members to see the Friends lists of other Xbox LIVE members. Members who would like to keep their friends list private can take the following steps to change their settings beginning today:

Log in to www.xbox.com/fof and select one of the three options available for your Gamertag:

* Everyone (only available to members 18 and older)
* Friends only (available to members 13 and older)
* Blocked (available to all members, and automatic for anyone under the age of 13)

Stay tuned for more information about the Xbox 360 Dashboard Update later this month.
I just got a press release that outlines a cool new feature in the upcoming Fall dashboard update that is due out on December 4th. The new feature allows you to see who is on someone's friends list. This is particularly useful for looking up old friends, or for doing clan management. And even though the service isn't live yet, you can manage your privacy settings before the update at www.xbox.com/fof.

For all of the details, check out the full media alert.

Not sure I like the idea of this.

painey

what kind of shit is this?! if this shitty feature makes it in but still no resolution support for 16:10 monitors...

teepo

bungie.net used to allow you to see your friend's friends list. not a big deal if you can adjust your privacy settings. stop your bitching.

besiktas1

I just got a press release that outlines a cool new feature in the upcoming Fall dashboard update that is due out on December 4th. The new feature allows you to see who is on someone's friends list. This is particularly useful for looking up old friends, or for doing clan management. And even though the service isn't live yet, you can manage your privacy settings before the update at www.xbox.com/fof.

For all of the details, check out the full media alert.
Clans confirmed?! or me reading to much into it?

edit: also if we look into Major Nelson's friends list can we finally find out Bill Gate's Gamertag?

Cookie for the first one to find it out. :D

Tieno

After the software update to Xbox in early December, you will be able to meet new friends by browsing the Friends lists of other Xbox LIVE members. You can determine who can see your Friends list now on this page – Everyone, Friends Only, or Blocked. You will be able to check your status and change your Friends list setting anytime after the software update in the Account Management section of Marketplace on your Xbox 360 or My Xbox on Xbox.com.

The default setting for who will be able to see your Friends lists depends on your age:

Adults – Everyone

Teenagers (13-17 years old) – Friends Only

Children (under 13 years old) – Blocked

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/fragments/FriendsOfFriendsExplanation.htm

Just give me clan support and I'm happy.

Manager

They mentioned Facebook in the press release:
With the prevalence of social media websites such as MySpace and FaceBook, this type of capability has largely come to be expected from consumers as a means to relate in an online community. Xbox LIVE continually seeks new ways to better serve the expectations of its members, which often result in enhancements made available for free through the bi-annual Dashboard updates.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
besiktas1 said:
Clans confirmed?! or me reading to much into it?

edit: also if we look into Major Nelson's friends list can we finally find out Bill Gate's Gamertag?

Cookie for the first one to find it out. :D
If anything it sounds like clans aren't going to be included.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Tieno said:
After the software update to Xbox in early December, you will be able to meet new friends by browsing the Friends lists of other Xbox LIVE members. You can determine who can see your Friends list now on this page – Everyone, Friends Only, or Blocked. You will be able to check your status and change your Friends list setting anytime after the software update in the Account Management section of Marketplace on your Xbox 360 or My Xbox on Xbox.com.

The default setting for who will be able to see your Friends lists depends on your age:

Adults – Everyone

Teenagers (13-17 years old) – Friends Only

Children (under 13 years old) – Blocked

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/fragments/FriendsOfFriendsExplanation.htm

Just give me clan support and I'm happy.
I might just put the "friends only" setting on...

Tieno

Did we have the date yet? Seems like they just said it's december 4th

Microsoft is making it even easier to expand your Friends network on Xbox LIVE, starting with the Fall Dashboard Update on December 4th.

You know what I'd like instead of this? The ability to create shortcut names for my growing list of people on my friends list. In other words:

crushkiller09 = Bob
monstaz03667 = Rick

etc. etc.

I have a hard time keeping up with who is actually who sometimes. I sure as hell don't need to see MORE people I don't know on other people's lists.

Drakken

Superblatt said:
You know what I'd like instead of this? The ability to create shortcut names for my growing list of people on my friends list. In other words:

crushkiller09 = Bob
monstaz03667 = Rick

etc. etc.

I have a hard time keeping up with who is actually who sometimes. I sure as hell don't need to see MORE people I don't know on other people's lists.

Yes, that would be very handy.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this isn't the ONLY feature of the update, you do realize? so those of you needlessly bitching about 16:10 still have plenty of time to get your hopes higher.

Median

If I'm not mistaken, this is something you can do in recent versions of Windows Live Messenger. Maybe the this means they're adding more functionality to the Xbox 360 messenger? Still, this isn't much of an update. I don't think too many people were exactly clamoring for it.

Manager

If they won't announce the 16:10-support and include it in the update, they should at least explain why they won't do it - like, how this friends thing is more important, or if it's not even technically possible. I'm tired of never being able to see a round circle. The whole idea of the VGA cable doesn't make any sense.

jooey said:
this isn't the ONLY feature of the update, you do realize? so those of you needlessly bitching about 16:10 still have plenty of time to get your hopes higher.

The console has been out for two years now. It's not like we suddenly realized that the console lack 16:10 support.

GhaleonEB

This is actually the third feature to be announced. The other two are:

1) Parental timer
2) Xbox Originals

The features I see asked for the most often are new display resolutions, FF/RW for music, clan support, notes section for Friends (a text field to add a description) and multiparty chat.

If MS does not included most of those, this Dashboard update is filled with fail. I'm still hopeful - but they keep announcing stuff no one asked for. :\

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Brandon F said:
Group Private chat...?
People have been asking for that since day one, and didn't the Xbox support that? Seems odd we haven't seen it.

I honestly do not think we'll ever see 16:10 support, so people should stop asking for it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Manager said:
The console has been out for two years now. It's not like we suddenly realized that the console lack 16:10 support.
could've fooled me.

Mamesj

Banned
I can see the focus group, culled from a selection of 13-17 year olds:

Which direction would you like Xbox Live to go?
A)Add more features specific to gaming
B)Be more liek teh myspace and facebook

Gowans

i like this move

i even had it down on the list of stuff I'd like (not in top 5 tho).

MS really needs to work on its community aspect & this is a step in the right direction however it should really have a few more ties into it and not just a list.

Time to clear out my friends list again.

GhaleonEB said:
This is actually the third feature to be announced. The other two are:

1) Parental timer
2) Xbox Originals

The features I see asked for the most often are new display resolutions, FF/RW for music, clan support, notes section for Friends (a text field to add a description) and multiparty chat.

If MS does not included most of those, this Dashboard update is filled with fail. I'm still hopeful - but they keep announcing stuff casual consumers might care about. :\

Fixed. The casual consumer still doesn't even know what the difference between 4:3 and 16:9, little less 16:10.

Crisis

Banned
If you can't stop other people from seeing your friends list then this update is automatically stupid. I refuse to believe that they would be so stupid as to allow that.

*edit: Let me clarify*

If the DEFAULT is set to "Everyone" this update automatically fails.

Crisis said:
If you can't stop other people from seeing your friends list then this update is automatically stupid. I refuse to believe that they would be so stupid as to allow that.

The link above allows you to do it.

11.jpg

shuri

Banned
Median said:
If I'm not mistaken, this is something you can do in recent versions of Windows Live Messenger. Maybe the this means they're adding more functionality to the Xbox 360 messenger? Still, this isn't much of an update. I don't think too many people were exactly clamoring for it.
wait, what? You cant do that in msn

Crisis said:

Nice fix.

Crisis said:

I disagree. The feature is not something that I'm likely to use ever, but there are probably a lot of people who think it'll be great to browse their friends list of friends. Having it turned on by default is fine, and it gives those of us the option to want to turn it off, easy access to doing so.

While I doubt I'll ever use it, as I've said, I don't care if anyone looks at my list. What is the harm in that?

All that said, I hope there is some really good stuff to the update that they haven't mentioned yet. A full list is long over due.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Whining about one update that can be blocked...

Blocked right now before the update is even live...

Don't ever change GAF...

Top Bottom