• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 friendslist to not carry other to next gen? - Party's unlikely to be 360/X1

Storm360

From Xbox Support on Twitter

I asked if the 360 would get the friends limit increase (My original tweet:https://twitter.com/Storm360/status/361851342735679489)

They replied to this saying that it basically stands the same (https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/status/361852154325110786)

Next thing I asked was what if I recovered my profile on a Xbox One, and then went over the 100 limit (https://twitter.com/Storm360/status/361852273573380096)

to which I recieved
@Storm360 Your Xbox One friend's list will be your Xbox One friend's list. Your Xbox 360 friend list will be your Xbox 360 friend list. ^PS
(https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/status/361853723502313472)

Am I just interpreting this reply wrong, or will our friends list not carry other to next gen? Also confirmed, party chat will most likely not work between 360 and Xbox One
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/361846350406623233

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wouldn't take that leap. Cross system chat may not work, but your friends list will almost certainly follow your profile.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
My guess is it will import your current friends list, but any changes made on the Xbox One will not be reflected on the Xbox 360.

Takuya

Banned
Xbone PR can't catch a break, nobody knows whether they're saying anything truthful or if it's all just speculation/lies.

Lirrik

I think they will allow to "import" friends from Xbox 360 to Xbox One. But then those lists would be separate to avoid friends limit on Xbox 360.

Symthic

Banned
I can understand why they wouldn't carry over, as the X1 operating system is different from the 360 operating system, and there can't be cross-platform parties and the like. However, I can also view my friends list from my computer and phone, so I don't know why separate friends lists would be required.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I can understand why they wouldn't carry over, as the X1 operating system is different from the 360 operating system, and there can't be cross-platform parties and the like. However, I can also view my friends list from my computer and phone, so I don't know why separate friends lists would be required.

Same reason they probably won't be the same between PS3 and PS4... bigger friends list caps.

Gamerloid

You have a separate friend list for each system. If there's no cross play planned, then I can see why they thought separating the two list would be fine. However, not everyone can just jump shift to the Xbox One and not being able to chat with them is a let down. With 300,000 severs, I though this would've been done.

Maybe so, hopefully they're wrong on this

They really are hit or miss. I'd ask someone like major Nelson for a more accurate response.

I applaud @XboxSupport for their work (they're really out there and ready to help) but they're not the best point of info when it comes to answering these high level, policy-affecting questions. Remember, it's just a regular employee (students maybe?) at the other end and even though they're willing to help, my bet is they don't have the proper info on these things.

Which kinda makes me wonder, with the PR/Communication Disaster of Epic Proportions(TM) that is the Xbox One reveal, why is it so hard to put some detailed FAQ either on Xbox.com or majornelson.com that would be regularly updated with Q&A such as these? *sigh*

Bgamer90

Banned
Don't trust them when it comes to any Xbox one information. They've been wrong with so many things involving the system in the past.

bronzeP

Banned
Xbox Support Twitter is a unreliable source.

Didn't they already confirmed that your friendlist is going to carry over?

cross gen partys would be great but i dont think its going to happen (only if skype comes to 360 too)

Vormund

GFWL and 360 have the same friend list....it has a icon showing which system you are on.

I don't see why this would change. Also, wasn't one of the reasons that the OG Xbox live support was dropped was because it caused the friends list to be capped to 100 on PC and 360?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Sounds so retarded that it can't be true. There are too many benefits to having the support e.g. advertising Xbone games to your 360 friends, so no, support doesn't have a clue most likely.

Syringe

Might be a mistake, but it sort of makes sense. If one friends list can be many times bigger than the other one, it might be problematic to solve in a really cheap way.

Dany

Banned
Also why are people using xbox support to ask for support questions for something not released?

I see the twitter account as an extension of their customer support.

This is what I'm talking about. People get upset that Sony does not chose to speak about things or rush out and confirm things so that makes it bad.

Now you look at this situation and what will this cause down the line? Confusion. It's situations like this why I'm glad Sony decides to make official announcements and statement than to let their support speak and confuse the hell out of everyone.

I doubt that the X1 won't allow your 360 friends but obviously, if Xbox Support could just refer you to wait for an official statement, this wouldn't be an issue.

Sadly @XboxSupport are as helpful as you'd think. Xbox friend list is on Windows Phone and Windows 8, there's an ecosystem between them all.

It will carry over, I bet you can even link your Skype friends with the X1 list.

xbox support? we still listening to them?

anyway i could have sworn phil or one of the XBL leads said they would transfer as well as gamer points

pixlexic

Banned
Why are we using support as a source ?

all windows and some none windows devices support xbl friends list. Do you really think they will change all that infrastructure for a new console?

Cartman86

Banned
They already covered this very clearly months ago. Your 360 friends list moves over to the One and becomes separate from there. When you add to the One list it won't be reflected on the 360. On phone or I would find link.

Bsigg12

They already covered this very clearly months ago. Your 360 friends list moves over to the One and becomes separate from there. When you add to the One list it won't be reflected on the 360. On phone or I would find link.

Winner! This is how it works, no cross system chat which shouldn't be expected regardless.

Domino792

My guess is it will import your current friends list, but any changes made on the Xbox One will not be reflected on the Xbox 360.

This seems like what it will be, but man Microsoft needs to fix their twitter support they constantly give out wrong information.

AzerPhire

Winner! This is how it works, no cross system chat which shouldn't be expected regardless.

Exactly. Such a common thing on the board lately is people misinterpreting obvious things that are being said. The Witness thread is another example of this. I honestly have no idea how some of these conclusions are reached, it is mind boggling.

Xbox support is amazing for support on known issues. When it comes to talking about the xbox one their track record is nearly universal in being wrong.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
i dont think anyone from MS should speak on xbox 180 anymore. just let the console release already and let gamers find out things on their own.

Tonguer

Right, thanks. Came in here to share that I recall some podcast where this was very clearly explained, but I don't recall which podcast, who explained it, or the details (my friends list... Is not in jeopardy of exceeding 100... Lol). This is much better stated than I could have done.

I do recall them touching on the reasoning - the same issue that has prevented expanding from 100 on 360 will still be present there, and is impractical to fix, so they were copying / splintering and moving forward.

Cartman86 nailed it.

Just like the original Xbox to Xbox 360, your friends list carries over to Xbox One.

You will be able to see Xbox 360 friends' presence, and you’ll be able to text chat.

I'm following up with the team, but I'm *pretty sure* you can add friends across the systems. Don't hold me to that, I will confirm when I can.

Top Bottom