• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 packaging rebrand incoming?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Figured this deserved its own thread.

http://xboxevolved.e-mpire.com/article/Xbox_360+/6296.html
For a quick run down there was one very unique comment made form our leak: “X360+ as MS said already will be re-launch. Re-launch not because they added motion support but to cut from famous RRODs, E74 etc. They are planning to do it like sony did with PSP - you know PSP-3000 AND PSPgo - similar possibilities yet 2 different SKUs.”

Now it seems that may become a reality as two box arts for upcoming games, Kane and Lunch 2: Dog Days and Deus Ex: Human Revolution have been spotted sporting a new header design. Take a look below:

Kane%20and%20Lynch%20New%20Box%20Art.jpg
Deus%20Ex%20New%20Box%20Art.jpg

With Microsoft already on record for saying they plan to launch Natal like the launch of a new Xbox, like the launch of the Xbox 360 only bigger, this makes perfect sense for Microsoft to do. Also seeing how successful Sony’s ‘re-launch’ of the PS3 went for them with the slim, Kevin Butler ads, and their “It Only Does Everything” slogan, one shouldn’t be too surprised from this. They even completely did the box art to support the new PS3 logo and look. Also with the leaked motherboard that appeared on the net a few months ago, this is beginning to seem very likely.

More evidence:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77969
200813b1.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77697
200600brp.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I never cared much about the original 360 branding so... whatever.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MS should ditch the white and go for black again. Keep the shapes, though.

BocoDragon

gofreak said:
Looks awfully fake. No way would they have the 'platform branding' take up that much space.
So gamestop and amazon have posted their own identical mockups from several different companies' games all of a sudden? :p

Someone should explain to Microsoft that the good thing about the PS3 rebranding was that it looked a) different and b) better

BocoDragon

charlequin said:
Someone should explain to Microsoft that the good thing about the PS3 rebranding was that it looked a) different and b) better
It's easy to look "better" when the old one was universally considered flawed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BocoDragon said:
So gamestop and amazon have posted their own identical mockups from several different companies' games all of a sudden? :p

:/

It looks so much more dominant than before. Even if as per Wario's comparison the footprint is the same.

If they ain't changing the logo, do they really need this? It seems like they're just changing for the sake of it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's funny that they slightly revised the Kane and Lynch box art too...not that it makes any difference

Darklord

Banned
Wait, whats so bad about the change? All they did was remove a small green stripe and add a green swirly thing where the Xbox Live logo use to be. Hardly a massive change.

cjelly said:
Some of these games are out in August. Interesting.

Looks like the re-launch could be before Natal.

Mafia and Kane & Lynch hits on the same date, august 27th, so thats the earliest we can pin the re-brand/re-launch of the 360. (which is now presumably the 360+)

Also, the wave'ish design fits with the E3 invite:

microsoftE3_1269543598.jpg

Microsoft Wave confirmed then?

BocoDragon

gofreak said:
If they ain't changing the logo, do they really need this? It seems like they're just changing for the sake of it.
If they're launching Natal and a slim 360, I can see why they're doing it.

BocoDragon

Darklord said:
Wait, whats so bad about the change? All they did was remove a small green stripe and add a green swirly thing where the Xbox Live logo use to be. Hardly a massive change.
I agree. Honestly I'm interested in silly things like package design... but I barely notice a difference.

It's still the same theme: white with some green shit.

charlequin said:

It's certainly different. but I much prefer the old PS3 covers. Really I think all this rebranding needs to stop, my PS3 and PSP games with the new covers look out of place when they're on the shelf next to the old ones. I like uniformity.

BocoDragon

rainking187 said:
It's certainly different. but I much prefer the old PS3 covers. Really I think all this rebranding needs to stop, my PS3 and PSP games with the new covers look out of place when they're on the shelf next to the old ones. I like uniformity.
I'm sure they could give a shit about your collection.... Re-branding is done to refresh a product in the public's mind, and thus increase sales.

Lunchbox

Banned
so they removed the "Blades" from the old dashboard with green "Waves" makes sense i guess

but why would a slim 360 be called 360+ :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BocoDragon said:
If they're launching Natal and a slim 360, I can see why they're doing it.

Yeah, but if the name and logo's the same, the current format would still do... I get what you're saying and I probably wouldn't mind so much if it was a change for the better, but oh well.

spons said:
Looks like we have a winner.

Whatever the name turns out to be you can be sure it won't have 'Microsoft' in it.

Just noticed the Xbox 'sphere' is a good bit brighter as well, across this new identity, trying to make it look more approachable I suppose.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lunchbox said:
this should be the new branding (without the extra stickers of course). the grey/silver looks pretty cool

greatnessisearned580px.jpg

The silver border looks pretty damn bad ass.

Lunchbox said:
so they removed the "Blades" from the old dashboard with green "Waves" makes sense i guess

but why would a slim 360 be called 360+ :lol

It's a shitty name, but everything is pointing towards that. Garnet also hinted at it during this weeks Weekend Confirmed, where he talked about it being matte-black, slide-in harddrive and thin.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
At least they have the decency of keeping the same layout instead of doing a combo breaker on your game shelf like the new PS3 layout.

Destructoid said:
If this change comes to pass, it's not a huge deal, but it may signal a bigger effort on Microsoft's part to change consumer perception of its console.

512px-BP_Logo_svg.png

it's what comes to mind...

BocoDragon

gofreak said:
Yeah, but if the name and logo's the same, the current format would still do... I get what you're saying and I probably wouldn't mind so much if it was a change for the better, but oh well.
It's just to increase sales. It doesn't really matter if it makes sense with a kind of branding logic. It's just so people go "oh that's new somehow, I notice it again".

Same reason soft drink branding changes every five years.

Wario64 said:
At least they have the decency of keeping the same layout instead of doing a combo breaker on your game shelf like the new PS3 layout.
Wait until we see....... the spines. :lol :lol

Top Bottom