• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Sales May Exceed Microsoft's 10M Forecast

Peter Moore said in an interview with Bloomberg that sales of the Xbox 360 video game system may exceed the company's forecast to sell 10 million units by the end of the year. When asked if Microsoft is likely to beat its forecast, Moore replied: "Yes. All indications are that we came off a very strong Thanksgiving holiday.''

"They key is we're in stock, we're available, we're delivering well to retail,'' Moore explained. "Certainly the consumer is recognizing the fact that we have a great price point as well as 160 games available and that flies in the face of our competition."

Moore declined to provide a new forecast.

--

Source

sorry if old

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm...so the day Blue Dragon comes out in Japan they announce this.....I think I see a connection!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/tc_nm/microsoft_xbox360_dc_1

Microsoft to ship over 10 million Xbox 360 units

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) on Wednesday said expects to have shipped more than 10 million units of its new Xbox 360 video game console to retailers by the end of this holiday season.

"This holiday, we expect to have sold in excess of 10 million units worldwide and an expected catalog of 160 high-definition games," a Microsoft spokeswoman said.

That "sold" number refers to units "sold into retail" and refers to units in transit, units sitting in store inventories and machines sold to consumers, the spokeswoman said.

Microsoft has previously forecast global shipments of 10 million by the end of the calendar year, as well as shipments of 13 million by 15 million by the end of its 2007 fiscal year that ends June 30.

The world's biggest software maker offered no further updates.

PhatSaqs

Banned
megatonace.jpg

NinSoX

Banned
superNoid said:
Last I checked it was nearing 8 million before the first holiday sales were even posted.

You're using nexgenwars.com I presume...:lol

"supposedly" it's 2.9 Million world wide by end of October according to gamefront (correct me if i'm wrong).

I don't think any of these numbers released are right at all.

Tieno

Wouldn't it be cool if Bill Gates would buy a shitload of 360s just so Petah won't look bad!?

Vangellis

This argument is silly. Every damn post someone makes a different number up. People need to stop posting shit without references.

Fjolle

Karma Kramer said:
"This holiday, we expect to have sold in excess of 10 million units worldwide and an expected catalog of 160 high-definition games," a Microsoft spokeswoman said.
Whoa... Thats an attach rate of... 1:62500

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Shipped or Sold? Is the Megaton that they shipped 10Mil consoles? Or is the Megaton that they sold through 10Mil? I don't keep up on Hardware sales so I don't know whats up.

Well reading OPs post cleared my question up lawl. It would be crazy if they really sold through 10 Million consoles o_o

GhaleonEB

NinSoX said:

"supposedly" it's 2.9 Million world wide by end of October according to gamefront (correct me if i'm wrong).

2.9m in the US according to NPD as of the end of October. MS had shipped 6m as of the end of September.

With some simple assumptions it's easy to see sold through between 8-9m by the end of the year, world-wide. This certainly is a pretty confident sounding Moore, especially now that he's probably looking at solid November data by now.

This was posted in the NPD prediction thread, but it may deserve it's own thread.

LJ11

"Certainly the consumer is recognizing the fact that we have a great price point as well as 160 games available and that flies in the face of our competition."

But are they buying the system Peter? Are they recognizing with $$$?

I wish he was more assertive than this "recognize" crap.

JMPovoa

That "sold" number refers to units "sold into retail"

That's the key part of the statement. Nevertheless, if retail stores are letting so many in their warehouses it's because they feel confident about the product selling.

NinSoX said:

I hav 4.4m by Oct:
313180999_44f2d9c7dd_o.png

NA - 3.18m
JP - 0.15m
EU - 1.10m

FYI, another recent article mentioned 200k X360s were sold over Thangsiving week.

Karma Kramer said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/tc_nm/microsoft_xbox360_dc_1

Microsoft to ship over 10 million Xbox 360 units

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) on Wednesday said expects to have shipped more than 10 million units of its new Xbox 360 video game console to retailers by the end of this holiday season.

That "sold" number refers to units "sold into retail" and refers to units in transit, units sitting in store inventories and machines sold to consumers, the spokeswoman said.

Microsoft has previously forecast global shipments of 10 million by the end of the calendar year, as well as shipments of 13 million by 15 million by the end of its 2007 fiscal year that ends June 30.

The world's biggest software maker offered no further updates.
Given that qualifier, why do people find this unreasonable?

doicare

Got to love the PR. Who knows i could be completely wrong but how the heck can the xbox360 ship 10 million, when as of the end of september they had only shipped 6 million. Since then they sold 218,000 in october and by the latest reports roughly 500,000 in november for north america. Even if they sell a million in december that means they've got to sell 2.25 million for the rest of the world.........not going to happen.

GhaleonEB

cartoon_soldier said:
Do NPD numbers include sales from all retailers?
They collect data from a majority of the market (IIRC) and extrapolate for the rest, just like other tracking companies (such as Media Create).

Karma Kramer said:
When will we get NPD numbers?
They're released tomorrow at 1:30 PDT, we usually have hardware an hour after that.

NinSoX

Banned
Square2005 said:
I hav 4.4m by Oct:

NA - 3.18m
JP - 0.15m
EU - 1.10m

FYI, another recent article mentioned 200k X360s were sold over Thangsiving week.

Yea I knew the numbers that Elios83 directed to me were off. 4.4 m is more reasonable by Oct end.

methane47

LOL they are trying to pull a fast one here. Note MS "sold" refers to MS "shipped"
atleast sony has the balls to tell the truth on that one.

Karma Kramer said:

pr0cs

this announcement and tomorrows NPD numbers will make the forums start on fire tomorrow, no question.

If MS were talking sold to actual homes i'd say hell no, but i see no problem with them reaching the numbers shipped. And judging by anecdotal reports, dec is looking crazy for 360 sells. And it's key to remember this is worldwide shipped, not just north america and Europe:)

Tieno

Can they meassure how much of a system pusher Gears has been? Certainly MS has a way, right?

SuperPac

I don't doubt that they're gonna ship that many. Who knows if they'll sell them all. I was at Best Buy last night and they had two MOUNTAINS of 360s and there were loads more up on a shelf in the stock area by the washers/refrigerators/vacuums. Way more 360s than any other system, it seemed. And only a few Core packs.

This is all a game of PR semantics.

GhaleonEB

Chris Remo said:
Given that qualifier, why do people find this unreasonable?
I do wish this interview had gotten more attention.

Bach: Our goal is to get to 10 million and we think we’re going to be able to do that.

Q: It’s 10 million shipped, right?

Bach: Yeah. In our case, it’s reasonably close to sold through. To make sure we’re clear, Sony does shipped from factory. We don’t. Our shipped means it has left a distribution warehouse in Memphis to a retailer. There is a big lag of six week to eight-week lag between what we called shipped and what Sony calls shipped. That’s the way we do the accounting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131028&highlight=Bach

NinSoX

Banned
methane47 said:
LOL they are trying to pull a fast one here. Note MS "sold" refers to MS "shipped"

AFAIK MS, Sony and Nintendo do the same. shipped = sold.

methane47 said:

Sony just says it "sold out".

Sony also says that PSP is outselling DS.

Sony also said it will have 400k units at launch.

What balls? Sony has balls to BS.

Edit: And almost all numbers you read regarding "sales" from companies, refer to "shipped"

Arsenal

bill0527 said:
I read this article earlier today...

But I didn't have the balls to post it.

I figured it had already been posted and locked a hundred times here.

This is after all, the same thing we have been hearing from MS for the past 6 months, they are just getting more emphatic about it now that they are close to meeting their goal.

The 360 is in a lot of markets - from the major ones to India to South Africa to South America... thats a lot of channels to ship to. Its also a lot of sales that are not publicly tracked in any meaningful way. I'm sure none of those markets are very significant (and probably not very profitable either), but they do start adding up when you look at the big picture.

Shiggy

Square2005 said:
I hav 4.4m by Oct:
313180999_44f2d9c7dd_o.png

NA - 3.18m
JP - 0.15m
EU - 1.10m

It's more around 5 million at the end of October, as they shipped 700.000 units to "other regions" .

As of the end of September shipped numbers were like this:
NA: 3.6m
EU: 1.7m
Others: 700.000

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
methane47 said:

:lol

please tell me you're joking. Man, the SDF members who have loudly proclaimed their complete lack of interest in xbox 360 sales in the past sure showed up to this thread quick.

Top Bottom