• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Sales May Exceed Microsoft's 10M Forecast

methane47

Nerevar said:
:lol

please tell me you're joking. Man, the SDF members who have loudly proclaimed their complete lack of interest in xbox 360 sales in the past sure showed up to this thread quick.

Well i'm pretty new here and haven't seen many XBOX SALES Threads :D...
Sony spouts alot of bull i know.... But they DO use "shipped" and they get alot of flack for it from sony haters...

Altaïr

Banned
It's overstocking if they dont sell them during the first half of 2007 (it happened to the Gamecube one year, as a result they didn't ship anything during one quarter), but since there's (probably) a price drop planned for the beginning of 2007, I doubt it could happen.

GhaleonEB

methane47 said:
Well i'm pretty new here and haven't seen many XBOX SALES Threads :D...
Sony spouts alot of bull i know.... But they DO use "shipped" and they get alot of flack for it from sony haters...
Well, Microsoft has always been consistant on that point; they use shipped figures in their financial reports, which makes sense. And so does Sony. They count what constitutes a shipped system VERY differently, though.

GhaleonEB

AdamChrisH said:
Didn't they lower their forecasts earlier this year?
Some MS execs said in interviews early last year that they would have 10m shipped by the time the PS3 went on sale. MS's financial reporting always said 10m by the end of the calendar year, though, so the message got mixed.

Anyone remember the pissing match Peter Moore and Phil Harrison got into over sales targets, with Phill saying MS would not hit the 10m target by the end of the year, and Peter firing back that Sony wouldn't hit their target of 6m by the end of March? I might have to dig that thread up at the end of the year. :lol

rastex

Banned
Isn't it obvious why the forecast is going up? PS3 shipments are MUCH smaller than anticipated, even after being substantially revised, and they've already got their Wii sections planned out, Nintendo is already at its limit, so they're compensating with more 360s. This is also why you'll see, and are seeing a bigger retailer push for 360s as well, it's something they can actually make money on.

GhaleonEB said:

Well considering they've sold appr. 4 and a half million till the end of October and it's a bit unlikely to sell more than 6-6.5m till the end of year I'd say overstocking is the right word.

methane47 said:
LOL they are trying to pull a fast one here. Note MS "sold" refers to MS "shipped"
atleast sony has the balls to tell the truth on that one.

Actually Sony is worse in that matter.

Tieno said:
Hi fortified_concept! This isn't a 1up thread!

Hi Tieno, this isn't a negative PS3 news thread!

GhaleonEB

fortified_concept said:
Well considering they've sold appr. 4 and a half million till the end of October and it's a bit unlikely to sell more than 6-6.5m till the end of year I'd say overstocking is the right word.

:lol

Bet a ban on that. A long one, please.

lix2k3

I thought NPD was always the 2nd Thursday, not the first. The numbers shoud be coming next week, shouldn't they?

fortified_concept said:
Overstocking much?

uh... 360 isn't really looking overstocked anywhere. Seems like a good deal of places have been selling out in the last few weeks.

Edit: maybe outside US?

LJ11

PhatSaqs said:
Of course not. Stores just like to take up warehouse and shelf space with 360s.

Again, I wish he was more assertive. Consumers, that have been paying attention, should have "recognized" that the 360 is a better buy a couple of months ago. November NPD, we'll see how well they "recognized."

Square2005 said:
I hav 4.4m by Oct:
313180999_44f2d9c7dd_o.png

NA - 3.18m
JP - 0.15m
EU - 1.10m

FYI, another recent article mentioned 200k X360s were sold over Thangsiving week.

If this Graph is accurate, 10 millions is impossible by the end of the year. Period.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I saw a stack of X360's at Best Buy yesterday that could choke the largest of whales. I mean it was so wide and huge, it quite possibly could tickle Paris Hilton's gag reflex. :lol To be fair, people were buying them.

NinSoX

Banned
Galeon, i think he meant from end of Oct to end of the year, it's unlikely to sell 6-6.5 Million. are you still in on that bet? :lol

Could MS manipulate these numbers by considering the replacements?

The November NPD is going to be hilarious. People will be overhyped, disappointed and suprised on so many levels simply due to their wild expectations.

GhaleonEB

lix2k3 said:
I thought NPD was always the 2nd Thursday, not the first. The numbers shoud be coming next week, shouldn't they?
Remember, though, they use a 4-4-5 week retail calendar, not the fiscal calendar. November NPD only covers through the 25th of November.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132165

wedbush said:
We expect November U.S. retail video game console software sales data to be released after market close on Thursday, December 7.

NinSoX said:
Galeon, i think he meant from end of Oct to end of the year, it's unlikely to sell 6-6.5 Million. are you still in on that bet? :lol

Could MS manipulate these numbers by considering the replacements?
Hmm, I'll wait for his clarification! (and I'm not betting anything. Just making a friendly suggestion. :)

As for the replacements, I don't think that would do too much. MS said about 2% of units made before January had issues. So that's <20k total, even if they were counted.

Tieno

DenogginizerOS said:
I saw a stack of X360's at Best Buy yesterday that could choke the largest of whales. I mean it was so wide and huge, it quite possibly could tickle Paris Hilton's gag reflex. :lol To be fair, people were buying them.
:lol :lol

DenogginizerOS

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The November NPD is going to be hilarious. People will be overhyped, disappointed and suprised on so many levels simply due to their wild expectations.

No clear winner will be determined by November or December. The March 2007 NPD is the new November NPD. Right, Che? :lol

Bebpo

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
Sony just says it "sold out".

Sony also says that PSP is outselling DS.

Sony also said it will have 400k units at launch.

What balls? Sony has balls to BS.

Edit: And almost all numbers you read regarding "sales" from companies, refer to "shipped"

And Nintendo said 1 million units at launch in NA...

The rule of thumb is not to believe ANY company. If a company president, VP, rep, PR guy is saying something it's always going to be full of lies and twisting to make them look good.

pr0cs

Morbid Angel said:
Stores love buying products they can't sell!

hey, never underestimate Microsoft moneyhats. they're now paying each and every bestbuy/circuitcity to warehouse all this stock that no one is buying.

methane47

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

What ever the results... Its just going to be ammo for the ongoing war... sadly ..

Mutually assured Armagaffedon

Bebpo said:
And Nintendo said 1 million units at launch in NA...

The rule of thumb is not to believe ANY company. If a company president, VP, rep, PR guy is saying something it's always going to be full of lies and twisting to make them look good.

Well to be fair Nintendo is the only one who has used real sales numbers many times.

Neomoto

Halfway there MS! But maybe you should get moving before Nintendo actually beats you by the punch :lol
As in sold units, not shipped

rs7k

The bottom line is, MSFT will have a 10m installed base sometime soon, and this is GREAT news for third parties. It's no surprise that stores are ordering a lot of them, since it's pretty much the only thing they can push apart from the Wii. Someone who wants a PS3 and not a Wii (and believe me, there's a lot of those people) might get a 360.

It does look like there might be a price drop, especially if there's a lot of unsold units after Christmas. I'm sure MS is aware of that possibility. They can drop the price and further cripple the PS3, which may or may not have supply problems by that time (if they do a Spring price drop).

If MS drops the price before Sony sorts out their supply issues, Sony faces two dilemmas.

1. They can keep the system at $500/600 and lose more mindshare.
2. They can drop the price in return and be unable to meet supply, causing Sony to lose mindshare anyway.

^
This of course assumes Sony will continue to have supply problems.

All IMO, don't flame me.

rs7k said:
The bottom line is, MSFT will have a 10m installed base sometime soon, and this is GREAT news for third parties. It's no surprise that stores are ordering a lot of them, since it's pretty much the only thing they can push apart from the Wii. Someone who wants a PS3 and not a Wii (and believe me, there's a lot of those people) might get a 360.

It does look like there might be a price drop, especially if there's a lot of unsold units after Christmas. I'm sure MS is aware of that possibility. They can drop the price and further cripple the PS3, which may or may not have supply problems by that time (if they do a Spring price drop).

If MS drops the price before Sony sorts out their supply issues, Sony faces two dilemmas.

1. They can keep the system at $500/600 and lose more mindshare.
2. They can drop the price in return and be unable to meet supply, causing Sony to lose mindshare anyway.

^
This of course assumes Sony will continue to have supply problems.

All IMO, don't flame me.

No, your being quite reasonable. If anything MS should drop the price to combat the Wii, not the PS3. Make sure that third place is established very quickly, and fight for first with second place as the worst possible outcome - similar to what they did last gen versus the Gamecube.

rs7k said:
T

as subjective as quantifying "mindshare" is, i think we can definitively say that this is not a scenario in which they would lose ground. their real concern there is going waaay to deep in the red. (which they pretty much would be)

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
No, your being quite reasonable. If anything MS should drop the price to combat the Wii, not the PS3. Make sure that third place is established very quickly, and fight for first with second place as the worst possible outcome - similar to what they did last gen versus the Gamecube.

So the Wii60 honeymoon is over?

D O W N

KeithFranklin said:
Yup, you know those retailers love to order stuff that they dont plan to sell for awhile.

Exactly. Especially if it means they can have millions of dollars of inventory sitting around not moving at the end of Q4. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Yeah. They're already selling the X360 for the same price as the Wii in Japan, so they should just drop the $50 on the core and do the same in the US. Then low-budget consumers will have to choose between the do and that should be very beneficial for MS.

C'mon . . . this is Peter Moore bravado. Don't take it so seriously.

Karl Rove said the GOP would hold the House and Senate too. :lol

DenogginizerOS

speculawyer said:
C'mon . . . this is Peter Moore bravado. Don't take it so seriously.

Karl Rove said the GOP would hold the House and Senate too. :lol

Let me guess. You expect Xbox fans to "cut and run" from the next gen war? :lol

rs7k

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
No, your being quite reasonable. If anything MS should drop the price to combat the Wii, not the PS3.

I think the Wii is still a wild card. Both the 360 and Wii target different audiences. The Wii is successful and will continue to be because it's an extremely different system: something that's never been attempted before. Not only that, since Nintendo is still an extremely strong brand in the US. I was surprised that nobody else in the real world is complaining about the price (not enough value IMO, but I'm somewhat of a graphics whore), so that's a spot where Nintendo did great by hyping their new controller technology. Some of the criticism stemming from the graphics can be greatly offset by the mainstream perception that its motion sensing technology is extremely state-of-the-art.

As for the 360, it truly is more of the same. Same games, better graphics. Sure, there's games that truly push the envelope like Gears of War, but for most third-party games that the mainstream public usually buys, there won't be much of a difference. And the public that bought into PS2/Xbox and really enjoyed the systems and want more of the same experiences they enjoyed (like me), the Wii may not fit that bill. That's why I think the 360 and the PS3 will see some fierce competition between each other, and Nintendo won't have to do much since from all signs, it looks like it's just going to "print money".

If 360/PS3 sales start lagging compared to PS2/XB at the same price points, there will be cause for concern, but I doubt it will happen.

MS will probably phase out the 360 Core next year, and drop the current Premium to $299.99. They could release a new "Super Premium" pack for $399.99 (100GB HDD for their movie d/l service), black casing, pack-in game included.

That would probably be a good fit.

Nintendo will probably react by going to $199.99 next spring as well.

I think Sony is in trouble looking at that .... can they afford to give the PS3 like a $100 price cut so soon? I don't think $50 cut will do as much for them because their price is still too high.

soundwave05 said:
MS will probably phase out the 360 Core next year, and drop the current Premium to $299.99. They could release a new "Super Premium" pack for $399.99 (100GB HDD for their movie d/l service), black casing, pack-in game included.

Wrong. The whole point of the Core is to get a system down to $150-200 range. That is the quickest way to do it. That is when the console will be flying off the shelves to the non "hardcore" gamers.

Top Bottom