• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 VGA help.

aznpxdd

Hey all, I recently picked up a 360 and VGA cable to hook up to my 24" PC monitor. I set the resolution to 1680x1050, the highest 16:10 360 offers and the for some reason the text is real blurry, it looks as if its "ghosting". Now, I understand not running native resolution on a LCD usually will give off blurrier images, but this is something else. Here's a picture I took off my monitor.

s2tfk1.jpg

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

jabipun

What's you response rate. Sometimes that's the reason for ghosting on moving images on LCD's.

Also, change your resolution to good ol' fashioned 1280 by 720p

Try it out, shit why not right?

Also, play with your LCD's settings. Contrast/brightness/ or whatever options you can toggle on and off to improve the picture. Sharpness etc. (I don't know what kind of lcd settings it has)

jabipun

Kandrick said:
What kind of vga cable ?

Isn't VGA a digital signal. So the quality of the cable isn't an issue. It's either a working signal or a not working signal. Unlike, component (which is analog) for example.

Not sure...

jabipun said:
Isn't VGA a digital signal. So the quality of the cable isn't an issue. It's either a working signal or a not working signal. Unlike, component (which is analog) for example.

Not sure...
VGA is analog

Monoprice?

got the same ones and have the same problem but its rarely noticeable during gameplay(usually shows up when you pause or when your in the menus)

aznpxdd

Aw really? Can people with the official cable confirm that is in fact the case?

Monoprice has never failed me before!!

Willectro

Banned
Double check you have it set at the monitor's native rez.
Also try hitting the auto adjust (if there is one) on the monitor.
I might be a chump, but I bought the real xbox cable. May or may not make a difference.

Took a bit of tweaking, but I finally got everything set.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
aznpxdd said:

Check if the monitor is properly setup. You can also try using another vga cable if you can ( friend etc ) see if its any different.

Manp

get the first party VGA cable from Microsoft.

that's a sign of a cheap cable, it's just getting worse as you increase resolution.

:)

soco

aznpxdd said:

the only way you can really verify that, is to try it no your setup. maybe find someone to let you borrow their cable for a few minutes.

Cdammen

soco said:
that type of ghosting is usually a sign of a cheap cable...
Yes, it's probably this. I don't have this problem with my official MS cable for my Xbox 360 but when I use a cheap VGA cable to hook up my PC to my HDTV I get this ghosting effect.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
aznpxdd said:

I use the official VGA cable on my HDTV and monitor, it looks soo freaking good.

JRW

Bad cables or lose connections usually cause those symptoms but check if the LCD has an Auto adjustment for VGA signals, it can make a big differance..or if not try manually messing with the monitors VGA settings (Phase etc.)

Ive never had a problem with monoprice cables but Ive only bought HDMI/Optical/Coax cable from them.

Firestorm

aznpxdd said:
Alright, I went to pick up the official cables and now everything clear. Damn monoprice!
Their digital cables are awesome but yeah, I don't like their analog cables much at all.

kazuo

Probably a cheap cable... I've used two generic eBay cables.

The first I got worked fine and looked great, then I accidentally destroyed the VGA connector (long story). I replaced it with another generic one, and now I get this blurry ghosting bullshit.

Gonna bite the bullet and get the official cable.

Firestorm said:
Their digital cables are awesome but yeah, I don't like their analog cables much at all.
Because with digital it either works or it doesn't (and they won't sell one that doesn't). With analog, it will work even if the build quality sucks but the PQ will suffer.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
aznpxdd said:
Alright, I went to pick up the official cables and now everything clear. Damn monoprice!
I think there's a moral to this:

1: Digital cables can be cheap, as long as they work, it doesn't matter the price.
2: Analog cables must be shielded, and cheap ones generally are a false economy, avoid cheap crap.

Glad to see your issue is solved, though.

Bebpo

Banned
fuuuuuuuuuuuu, I got a monoprice cable because the cheapest I found the official one was $33 and Monoprice was $13. Plus Monoprice HDMI cables are great.

gli.jpg

I wonder if I can return this? $13 is a lot for a broken cable :( And I still don't want to pay $33 for a VGA cable :(

MoFuzz

SuperEnemyCrab said:
When it comes to the 360 and VGA just bite the bullet and get the official cable.

Bleh, $50 bullets don't taste very good. Good thing I picked mine up on clearance. Good ol' MS and their overpriced, propietary poo poo accessories.

Chrange

Banned
MoFuzz said:
Bleh, $50 bullets don't taste very good. Good thing I picked mine up on clearance. Good ol' MS and their overpriced, propietary poo poo accessories.

lol, you can call them overprice and proprietary if you want, but after seeing the quality of the cheap ones I don't think you can really call them shit :p

MCD

MoFuzz said:
it's $32.49 on amazon and less from the sellers.

bigswords

Nope my official VGA cable produces sharp and non ghosting images.

It could be the VGA port of the monitor that might have problems, clean it up / etc first or try it on your PC first.

If the image has no issues with your pc and such , then it's definitely the cable.

Ardorx

Banned
MoFuzz said:

Buy a used one then!

I don't use an official MS VGA cable and I don't have that issue.

I bought some cheapo cable off of Play-Asia for probably less than the Monoprice one (had to bring my order up to use a coupon) and it works just fine. Or maybe I'm not noticing the text. I'll look at it later.

Is it in game as well or just at the dashboard? Also try different resolutions like someone else suggested and let us know about your results.

baultista

Banned
Recent poster w/ problem:

Try disabling some of the "features" on your LCD monitor and see if that solves the problem first. My LCD monitor has something called AMA (their name for overdrive) that caused a lot of inverse ghosting with anything text-based on my Xbox360.

Wow, I was wrong. I've got the issue as well, I just hadn't noticed it before.

Click for high res:

I'd be curious to see how the official cable holds up. Would some people with it take some high res pics?

Wow. Was about to create a thread about this. I'm using off brand cables and getting the exact same blurring issue.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
grap3fruitman said:
I'd be curious to see how the official cable holds up. Would some people with it take some high res pics?

Take your pics and remove the ghosting and you have it.

Kandrick said:
Take your pics and remove the ghosting and you have it.
Hurr hurr hurr. Can someone useful help? Like I said, I was using an off brand cable and didn't notice it and I've been using the thing for a few years now. Maybe a lot of people with the official one have the same issue but just haven't noticed it. Which is why I asked for pics, not useless replies.

Noogy

As I had mentioned earlier, going from third party to first party VGA solved the ghosting problems for me. They were as bad as in those pics. Now they are perfectly clear.

However...

I have a new issue between my 360 and 24" Dell monitor. I originally went in via VGA, and all was well. I recently upgraded the 360 and am now going in through HDMI (just as beautiful).

However, whenever I switch inputs with the monitors controls, when I return to HDMI, the 360 reboots itself. It's as if the monitor is sending out some weird trigger to tell the 360 that the video needs to be reset. As you can imagine, this is incredibly annoying, since I tend to switch inputs to check email during long gaming runs. This only happens using HDMI.

Anyone else have this problem, and a possible solution?

Borman

Thats a result of how the Xbox handles video signals. Its the same as unplugging the cable from your console really.

spons said:
I'd just go digital instead of using VGA for this kind of display resolutions

Depending on the TV, this could lead into much worse problems.

I have a 1360x768p Bravia and if you connect it via HDMI, you get awful discoloration, "dirty text", and wierd artifacting. Not to mention sound "pops" and god knows what else.

lockload

aznpxdd said:

I used the official vga cable for years it gave a great picture no ghosting

So I'm under the impression that everyone with the official cable has the same problem and doesn't want to admit it and post pics because they feel stupid now after making a big deal out of how we supposedly have an inferior product and theirs is superior. Am I correct in that assumption? I see no evidence suggesting otherwise.

With official cables things look fantastic on my 46" samsung. I'm a little surprised at how much better this looks than the official component cables I was using previously.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Noogy said:
However, whenever I switch inputs with the monitors controls, when I return to HDMI, the 360 reboots itself. It's as if the monitor is sending out some weird trigger to tell the 360 that the video needs to be reset. As you can imagine, this is incredibly annoying, since I tend to switch inputs to check email during long gaming runs. This only happens using HDMI.
The 360 restarts/powers off if it loses the HDMI signal (since it's digital, it can tell). Nothing to do about it, other than bitch at Microsoft with money and greed remarks.

grap3fruitman said:
So I'm under the impression that everyone with the official cable has the same problem and doesn't want to admit it and post pics because they feel stupid now after making a big deal out of how we supposedly have an inferior product and theirs is superior. Am I correct in that assumption? I see no evidence suggesting otherwise.
Yes, it's all a big plot by Microsoft employees to make you purchase the more expensive cable so they (or probably we) can have better xmas bonuses.

On the other hand, i'd take pictures for you, but my TV doesn't accept signals higher than 720p through VGA and my BenQ 241WV has shitty firmware that will warp and distort 1080p through VGA, so you'll probably say that it's the cable's fault. Also, my 360 is half dead and only stays on the dashboard and playing videos. Any video game will freeze it in 10 seconds.

So yeah, buy the real deal cables and stop with the cheap crap.

Edit: Also, i have a couple cheap VGA extension cables (for when i'm fixing computers and don't want to move monitors around). They create the exact same ghosting, the higher the resolution I go, more ghosting I get. It's obviously cheap cables not properly isolated creating/receiving electrical interference and, thus, ghosting.

Leonsito

I have an official cable and it fixed all the problems that I had with a cheap cable (same ones showed in this thread).

Edit: I will make a couple of pics for grap3fruitman, wait a minute.

Edit 2: Here they are, not the best camera and photographer in the world, but you can see there is 0 ghostling with the official cable, my monitor is a cheap Samsung SyncMaster 940MW.

Top Bottom