• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 720 scams outed as Major Nelson calls for caution

Reiko

Banned
Xbox 720 scammers have been asking gamers to hand over their personal details in a string of fake mailing list cons. Microsoft’s Major Nelson has asked everyone to remain vigilant in spotting the scam.

14-03-2013-10-13-47.jpg

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/311887474802716672

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/14/xbox-720-scams-outed-as-major-nelson-calls-for-caution/

Example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49878168&postcount=3417

Someone is trolling hard on Facebook.

Over 2,000 likes and over 9,000 (Not kidding) shares...

601498_42637758078532qeucv.jpg

Microsoft needs testers for the upcoming Xbox Infinity. You will get to keep the Xbox Infinity after you've tested it.....

If you want to be a tester for the upcoming Xbox Infinity just share this photo and like our page.

People will be chosen completely at random!

Ridiculous how the trolling has reached critical levels.

BibiMaghoo

The Xbox Live page on Facebook was doing this. So many people 'liked it' as they believe it is the official page.

Some random dude is laughing his ass off.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If you see any of these on Facebook, be sure to report them. Go to the page that posted the image, then up by the "Message" button in the top right, there's a little arrow. Click that, then click "Report Page", then select "Spam/Scam".

Reiko

Banned
If you see any of these on Facebook, be sure to report them. Go to the page that posted the image, then up by the "Message" button in the top right, there's a little arrow. Click that, then click "Report Page", then select "Spam/Scam".

I think someone already toasted that page I referenced to.

Omega

Banned
these are hilarious. i've seen even gamer friends like/share and when i tell them its fake they ignore me

the consoles haven't even been shown. why would their grand reveal be from a facebook page..

lol just noticed the pic. Xbox 720 with an infinity logo..

Lol. You would have to be pretty naive to fall for that fake box... "Become a legend"? Seriously? And what's with that horrible font? Terrible fake...

Bgamer90

Banned
Maybe it's just due to how much I'm into ad/product design but I'm really surprised at how some people can't tell that those are fake.

pestul

Anyone dumb enough to fall for this shit is dumb as fuck.
People do all the time. I have co-workers that are constantly asking me about all these free ipad/free shit signups on Facebook. People click on offending emails without thinking it through.. I'm glad I don't work in the IT departments fuck.

Maybe it's just due to how much I'm into ad/product design but I'm really surprised at how some people can't tell that those are fake.

Never, EVER underestimate the ignorance of the general population.

I'm personally interested that Major Nelson even brought up the TOPIC of a "next Xbox." I wonder if this points to an upcoming announcement.

Mononoke

Banned
People actually fall for this shit?

Realistically speaking, GAF is such a small % of the consumer base for games. I'm willing to bet the majority of people that buy games, are pretty uninformed.

Still, kind of crazy people still haven't learned when obvious scams are obvious.

Taker666

I think i've heard about this before..

...something called Xbox Live Gold where they try and scam users out of $60 a year?

Surprisingly lots of people have fallen for it.

I hate like-and-share marketing on Facebook, fake or not.
It's lazy on the part of companies, and I think less of users who sell themselves and all their friends out just for a chance to get something for nothing.

These things are popping up all over my Facebook - whether it's Apple suddenly deciding to give away hundreds of iPads because they're unsellable, from a page that was set up yesterday, or a PS4 testers.

apesh1t

Banned
The PS4 ones were so dumb. I had so many of my redneck friends on facebook, give it a thumbs up. Dumb dumb people

Manp

who's so dumb to actually fall for this shit?

now, i have to go help out some Nigerian prince and see if i can make a couple thousand of bucks out of it. brb.

:)

statham

checking twitter for leaks the last few days, ALOT of people fell for this and the PS4 one, alot of' I just signed up to be a beta-tester here-link'.

Demon Ice

Banned
Oh god, I've been seeing these things all over my FB news feed the last few days.

Apparently a good number of my friends are a lot dumber than I thought.

PSYGN

Wouldn't be bad if Microsoft did this, you know, given their track record this gen.

Edit: I know what I said sounds dumb, don't mind me.

I've seen both te Xbox Infinity ones and PlayStation 4 ones on my Facebook news feed. It's unfortunate. The PlayStation 4 ones just have a render of the controller and a fan render of the console. They didn't even choose the best controller render (it's the one merely showing the light bar). My friends are actually smart but are just ignorant of the current news.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've seen both te Xbox Infinity ones and PlayStation 4 ones on my Facebook news feed. It's unfortunate. The PlayStation 4 ones just have a render of the controller and a fan render of the console. They didn't even choose the best controller render (it's the one merely showing the light bar). My friends are actually smart but are just ignorant of the current news.

I don't mean to directly insult your friends (seriously), but anyone who believes that a multi-billion dollar company would choose their beta testers through Facebook, especially if they're allegedly just giving the systems out to anyone who likes and shares an image, probably isn't all that smart.

I don't mean to directly insult your friends (seriously), but anyone who believes that a multi-billion dollar company would choose their beta testers through Facebook, especially if they're allegedly just giving the systems out to anyone who likes and shares an image, probably isn't all that smart.
Haha, I mean they do well academically, but they seem quite gullible. I understand your sentiment.

Had some of my dumbass friends share this shit. Didn't even make time to correct them.
Last week my friend called me up: "DUUUUDE!!! Dude they're giving away PS4s for beta testers on Facebook OMG!!! Sign ups end this friday!! Jump on it, man!!"

I told him it was probably a scam. Googled it saturday and sure enough it was confirmed a scam.

Meelow

Banned
I would never even believe this, None of the big 3 would let random people sign up for beta testing consoles that aren't even out yet and a console that hasn't even been announced yet.

Top Bottom