• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox as a console brand seems to be really dying lately can Scarlett change that or will it be a short lived project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I'd be worried about is if Xbox does have a rocky gen again, how long do they leave Xbox Live running for? I hope it's safe for at least another 15 years.
I am pretty sure Xbox Live would survive.
The issue is that without a console, all the third party games would jump ship as they have no incentive to go through a middleman to publish. Another is that the current discounts are not going to last.

So Xbox Live would become more expensive, AND its offerings would become Xbox exclusives ONLY. At that point, the value proposition would become very different.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony is not going to fuck up again.
Dear xbots, drop the towel. The war is lost.

It is just delusional at this point, to still hope that scarlet might come out on top next gen, when you can play its games everywhere else.

Spencer, please call back all your generals. The war is lost no need to more blood shed. Enough people has lost their lives for this war.

Going to give OP the benefit of the doubt here and engage in the discussion

No OP i dont think Xbox are in trouble, They're not selling as much as PlayStation and not doing terribly either. They're bound to release new IP next gen so i'm keen to see what they have. Exciting times ahead for both PS and XBox

Shaqazooloo

Basing the potential success of the next system off of the current one that's heading out the door? I don't think that is smart move. The success of a platform is not dictated by the success or failure of the prior platform. We don't even know that much about the next Xbox yet anyway.

When they reveal the Scarlett to the masses and both the casual and hardcore audiences just shrug it off with a meh, then it'd be time to worry about Xbox but as for now, it's too early to say.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Xbox Live will survive for a long time yet, its the fate of the hardware side that's questionable.

The reality is that the logical endpoint for where MS is heading is closer to a Stadia type offering than anything else. the console part is looking increasingly vestigial as its way down at the bottom of the profitability table.

With a Stadia-type model, they get the same income from software and services, its just that the former accessory business becomes the totality of the hardware side.

However, what I feel to be most likely is a two-tier approach. The next gen of Xbox console is happening evidently, and that will slide into a similar spot as One X. i.e. tailored to the hardcore/enthusiast market with a relatively high entry point. Product built for that will gradually trickle down onto the platform agnostic services, bolstering the current (legacy) line-up. This will allow them to scale up the back-end gradually leading to a situation where somewhere down the line the console hardware is such a minority demand item that few will notice its obsoletion.

Either way, I suspect the future is going to be pay for an expensive console/have a good gaming PC, or get used to streaming everything.

Vawn

Banned
But the claim is you don't need to buy an Xbox to play those games, and with PS Now you don't have to buy a PS4.

With a couple huge caveats. First, it's only streaming, which is always a last resort.

Second, its only a select few games and only for a very limited time. Three months from now, God of War will be off PS Now and only available on PS4 or PS5 with BC.

Xbox Done...

Not hyperbole. Blood n blood out and these motherfuckers ain't ever been all in. Pack it up.
This is some ignorant shit. Xbox just got some massive funding and purchased a shit ton of studios. Theyre also about to launch Cloud streaming, a new console and launched Gamepass. They’re far from done.

Last edited:
I think judging a brands position based on brick and mortar retail space in 2019 is a bad idea.

I watched a great little doc on HDdvd vs Bluray and that made a point that really resonated with me. He said Sony was so focused on winning the physical format war they completely failed to see Netflix, Itunes etc taking the market.

Xbox Live will survive for a long time yet, its the fate of the hardware side that's questionable.

The reality is that the logical endpoint for where MS is heading is closer to a Stadia type offering than anything else. the console part is looking increasingly vestigial as its way down at the bottom of the profitability table.

With a Stadia-type model, they get the same income from software and services, its just that the former accessory business becomes the totality of the hardware side.

However, what I feel to be most likely is a two-tier approach. The next gen of Xbox console is happening evidently, and that will slide into a similar spot as One X. i.e. tailored to the hardcore/enthusiast market with a relatively high entry point. Product built for that will gradually trickle down onto the platform agnostic services, bolstering the current (legacy) line-up. This will allow them to scale up the back-end gradually leading to a situation where somewhere down the line the console hardware is such a minority demand item that few will notice its obsoletion.

Either way, I suspect the future is going to be pay for an expensive console/have a good gaming PC, or get used to streaming everything.
That seems a little idealistic.
The main issue is that designing, building, and marketting a game console is not profitable unless you invest a bare minimum. And that if you spend less than that, it would be a waste of money entirely. XBox can't slowly phase out hardware, because once they reach a critical point of decreasing install base, there would no longer be any incentive to pay for the design of the next console. You might still HAVE customers who are willing to buy consoles from you, but they would not be enough to justify the expense of research and development of next gen. At which point the console dies. You can't phase it out slowly.

This thread is exactly the kind of low effort flame bait I don't care for. The mods had a really interesting explanation for why TheLastWord is banned right now but man, imagine if his threads were this low effort and trolly? I think heads would explode.

Reactions: GHG

Dane

Flawed logic.

What sells Nintendos are great (1st party) exclusives.
What sells Playstations are great (1st party) exclusives.
What sells Xboxes are great (1st party) exclusives.

Only one of the three above is severely lacking in the "great exclusives"-department.
Only one is struggling right now.

There's a pattern.

Your logic is flawed too.

The reason why Nintendo became what it is, was because they were basically alone in the gaming market after the crash, they held a monopoly with the NES, but Sega dwindled that with the Genesis and a better third party relationship.

Playstation sells because Sony is friendly to third party developers, the PS1 was a easy to develop hardware and used the CD format. Saying that it sells just because of 1st party is basically the mentality from the PS1 and 2 where they had near monopoly due to their large lead over the rivals, thus like 5-7/10 games were exclusive, then the previous generation came and no one decided to make exclusives unless they had received cash since development costs rose.

Xbox sold because it followed the same steps of Sega and Sony, by having a great relationship with the third parties, alongside a powerful x86 hardware, not to mention its Live MP service. Third party games sold better on it than the Gamecube, it even received M rated multiplatform games that didn't appear on Nintendo's console, and they represented a significant share of sales by proportion.

This thread is exactly the kind of low effort flame bait I don't care for. The mods had a really interesting explanation for why TheLastWord is banned right now but man, imagine if his threads were this low effort and trolly? I think heads would explode.
Yeah, I think threads like these aren't really productive.

It is true that Xbox has a massive disadvantage come next gen, and that they marketing had been spotty as of late. But the fact is MS had already placed their bets on Scarlet, and one way or another there is going to BE a next gen Xbox console no matter what.

MS is going to have a go with the next gen. Win or lose, they are going to participate. Talking doom and gloom is rather pointless, because the die had been cast. The only thing left is to see where the pieces fall.

Sure, we can go on all day speculating about MS going third party, but we know right they they are not. Not yet, anyway.

Psykodad

Banned
Your logic is flawed too.

The reason why Nintendo became what it is, was because they were basically alone in the gaming market after the crash, they held a monopoly with the NES, but Sega dwindled that with the Genesis and a better third party relationship.

Playstation sells because Sony is friendly to third party developers, the PS1 was a easy to develop hardware and used the CD format. Saying that it sells just because of 1st party is basically the mentality from the PS1 and 2 where they had near monopoly due to their large lead over the rivals, thus like 5-7/10 games were exclusive, then the previous generation came and no one decided to make exclusives unless they had received cash since development costs rose.

Xbox sold because it followed the same steps of Sega and Sony, by having a great relationship with the third parties, alongside a powerful x86 hardware, not to mention its Live MP service. Third party games sold better on it than the Gamecube, it even received M rated multiplatform games that didn't appear on Nintendo's console, and they represented a significant share of sales by proportion.

Nintendo had a long history, but it's mostly their games library that pushes their sales nowadays.
And their quality is strong enough to keep them going at their own pace, despite having released the Wii U.

Playstation and MS are a different story however.
Yes, there is the history that you mentioned, which is the main reason why Playstation has such a strong brand recognition worldwide.

But Playstation and Xbox are too similar to truly be different from eachother in the way that Nintendo is.
So it basically boils down to two key-differences:
- Games library
- Features

This gen has clearly proven what the consumer actually wants: games.
And again, this is where Xbox is severely lacking.
Their biggest problem is that 90% of their games library is also available on Playstation, where vice versa it's more like 75-80%.
Then there is the gap in quality of the games and Sony has 1st party output on lock. That's not even up for debate.

Throw in the fact that MS decided to release their 1st part exclusives on PC too and moving towards streaming, what else is left for Xbox?

Btw, I put 1st party between brackets, because there are more exclusives than just 1st party.

Last edited:
Nintendo had a long history, but it's mostly their games library that pushes their sales nowadays.
And their quality is strong enough to keep them going at their own pace, despite having released the Wii U.

Yes, there is the history that you mentioned, which is the main reason why Playstation has such a strong brand recognition worldwide.

But Playstation and Xbox are too similar to truly be different from eachother in the way that Nintendo is.
- Games library
- Features

Their biggest problem is that 90% of their games library is also available on Playstation, where vice versa it's more like 75-80%.
Then there is the gap in quality of the games and Sony has 1st party output on lock. That's not even up for debate.

Throw in the fact that MS decided to release their 1st part exclusives on PC too and moving towards streaming, what else is left for Xbox?

Btw, I put 1st party between brackets, because there are more exclusives than just 1st party.
I always believed that MS bet on the wrong horse when it comes to 1st party games. Is it just me, or most of their 1st party offerings directly compete with third party juggernauts? I don't think MS make bad games, they just made games that aren't better than 3rd party games on the same system.
Ant it's not like HALO didn't serve them well, and Gears wasn't bad either. But the gaming market is just too crowded with shooters now.
MS did try to create new IP, but notabily they bet on Kinect at the start of this gen and that really screwed them over. Consider how long it takes to make AAA games these days, pivoting and changing the types of games you make just couldn't be done quickly.

Bryank75

Banned
Everybody pretty much knows where I am coming from, I am a PlayStation fan and I don't claim to be unbiased but Xbox sales are really very low and for me that is concerning.
It is concerning because it seems like they are using a 'scorched earth' mentality when it comes to the market now.... just make it ultra cheap for content and devalue everything they can so their competitors seem so expensive that people just buy Gamepass to save a few bucks.
That effects gaming as a market, it effect every developer and publisher and has forced PlayStation to do something similar with PSNow, I think PlayStation are very foolish to blindly follow XBox...... they were really fooled into devaluing their own games and platform.
It is worse than any move they've made all generation and quite self destructive.

Consoles have always been built on exclusive games and experiences, that is exactly what restarted the industry after the collapse... Nintendo offered high quality exclusive games and excellent 3rd party games that you couldn't play elsewhere.
Sega emulated that and created their own catalog of excellent exclusives too and that is why mega drive was great.

You do not see Nintendo devaluing their exclusives, if anything they try to keep their games almost at launch price for as long as possible and PlayStation should be trying to emulate this and keep these games exclusive to their hardware forever.

What they have done is undermined their market position in a blind chase of the losing competitor. In this sense I believe Xbox has pulled off a strategic masterstroke. The management at PlayStation currently have their head up their ass.

Honestly with game streaming taking off, and console controllers being compatible with iPad and iPhone. I’m not seeing PS or XB doing as well next gen. As in maybe 30M Xbox, and 90M ps5? Unless we see a generational leap from the pro and x models, like 8k. 60 FPS at 4K, and graphics that look better than life. To compete with the exploding mobile game market that is going to kill it once we get ps now and Xbox cloud to start working on iOS and Android.

Mobile gaming has imploded aside from a few heavy hitters and most devs are scurrying back to PC and console. What you're talking about was always a bad prediction but now it's been demonstrably proven wrong. Stadia is DOA.

ManaByte

Mobile gaming has imploded aside from a few heavy hitters and most devs are scurrying back to PC and console. What you're talking about was always a bad prediction but now it's been demonstrably proven wrong. Stadia is DOA.

Stadia may be DOA but everyone I know who's tried Apple Arcade loves it.

scalman

its so sad story MS must be crying right now..
27c485.jpg

Phase

Stadia may be DOA but everyone I know who's tried Apple Arcade loves it.
Even though most of us are hardcore gamers, we have to acknowledge that these types of services are going to be a thing going forward. The concept won't die. If anything there will just be new iterations with improvements as time goes on. More casual gamers, or really anyone that finds a few games they like in the service, will probably use it. Most people do not have high demands or standards, they're just looking for fun for a bit. So while I won't find this service worthwhile, it's obvious many will.

Romulus

If only we had some exciting new IP's to get excited about.

But the last eight E3s has been talk about them coming. I remember in 2011 people we're already getting tired of the halo, forza, gears and yet we're still here.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Even though most of us are hardcore gamers, we have to acknowledge that these types of services are going to be a thing going forward. The concept won't die. If anything there will just be new iterations with improvements as time goes on. More casual gamers, or really anyone that finds a few games they like in the service, will probably use it. Most people do not have high demands or standards, they're just looking for fun for a bit. So while I won't find this service worthwhile, it's obvious many will.
And while i think Stadia pricing is all wrong to have a affect yet, it could in the future as all the casual gamer's that normally pick up a console in the last 1-3 years of its life opt for streaming services instead (if the price is wright). That could mount up to quite a few million consoles less sold.

Last edited:
Everybody pretty much knows where I am coming from, I am a PlayStation fan and I don't claim to be unbiased but Xbox sales are really very low and for me that is concerning.
It is concerning because it seems like they are using a 'scorched earth' mentality when it comes to the market now.... just make it ultra cheap for content and devalue everything they can so their competitors seem so expensive that people just buy Gamepass to save a few bucks.
That effects gaming as a market, it effect every developer and publisher and has forced PlayStation to do something similar with PSNow, I think PlayStation are very foolish to blindly follow XBox...... they were really fooled into devaluing their own games and platform.
It is worse than any move they've made all generation and quite self destructive.

Consoles have always been built on exclusive games and experiences, that is exactly what restarted the industry after the collapse... Nintendo offered high quality exclusive games and excellent 3rd party games that you couldn't play elsewhere.
Sega emulated that and created their own catalog of excellent exclusives too and that is why mega drive was great.

You do not see Nintendo devaluing their exclusives, if anything they try to keep their games almost at launch price for as long as possible and PlayStation should be trying to emulate this and keep these games exclusive to their hardware forever.

What they have done is undermined their market position in a blind chase of the losing competitor. In this sense I believe Xbox has pulled off a strategic masterstroke. The management at PlayStation currently have their head up their ass.
I don't see it this way. There are a shit-ton of great games coming to both platforms and it appears that a lot of the indie and some of the AAA 3rd party are embracing Gamepass style services. It has nothing to do with devaluing anything but instead it's creating a community of people paying out money per month that may not typically spend a lot of money on games. But this service is guaranteeing that they make money monthly and the games on the service are driving people to subscribe and also creating sales through word of mouth marketing.

As it is I would have never played Hellblade, Dead Cells, Void Bastards, or Gears 5 had I not been subscribed. From there I've told plenty of people that these games are awesome and those people purchased 1 or 2 games that I told them about and are enjoying them as well. So whatever they are doing works and does not devalue a thing. When I someday decide to unsubscribe from the service, you can bet your ass I'll most likely buy some of the games that I enjoy playing the most so I can keep playing them.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't see it this way. There are a shit-ton of great games coming to both platforms and it appears that a lot of the indie and some of the AAA 3rd party are embracing Gamepass style services. It has nothing to do with devaluing anything but instead it's creating a community of people paying out money per month that may not typically spend a lot of money on games. But this service is guaranteeing that they make money monthly and the games on the service are driving people to subscribe and also creating sales through word of mouth marketing.

As it is I would have never played Hellblade, Dead Cells, Void Bastards, or Gears 5 had I not been subscribed. From there I've told plenty of people that these games are awesome and those people purchased 1 or 2 games that I told them about and are enjoying them as well. So whatever they are doing works and does not devalue a thing. When I someday decide to unsubscribe from the service, you can bet your ass I'll most likely buy some of the games that I enjoy playing the most so I can keep playing them.
I would say, look at Gears sales.... completely collapsed. It's very dangerous for the industry and risks destroying games that depend on narrative and story with well crafted game design....
It also perpetuates the lootbox and mtx trend, which I am very much against.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would say, look at Gears sales.... completely collapsed. It's very dangerous for the industry and risks destroying games that depend on narrative and story with well crafted game design....
How does that damage gaming when it's MS subsidizing it's own games for Game Pass?

And for any devs doing it on Game Pass (Metro Exodus) MS paid them.

The rest of the games are like Netflix movies...... older games that come to GP 6-12 months later after they've had their big sales rush.

It makes me laugh you quote it as “War” that’s the biggest fanboy post ever. At the end of the day it’s fine to enjoy what you enjoy without being a war.

I was simply quoting that people didn’t stick with Xbox so no guarantee of anything.

it's just hyperbole.
Also there's really no war anymore. xbox as a console is pretty much done. They're giving you all sorts of reasons not to buy their next console, so whatever.

I get it, however, I will say that Gears is not really an amazing franchise. Gears 5 is a fun game and I enjoyed it more than Gears 4. But it's very shallow and quite honestly, if it died, I doubt many people would care. Gears of War was a great trilogy, anything past that feels forced. I have been playing it from time to time regardless.

But at the same time while it's sales weren't all that great, it's in the top 15 most played games on Xbox Live right now.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
it's just hyperbole.
Also there's really no war anymore. xbox as a console is pretty much done. They're giving you all sorts of reasons not to buy their next console, so whatever.

pretty much done? Your talking as if Xbox has only shifted one of two consoles. They have sold millions! As I have said previously they ain’t doing as good as the competition but that does not mean they done. They may have changed their business model to. Most company’s would love to shift between 40 mill plus of a product. Do you see third party’s dropping games to it? All the big franchises are still strong on there

Dane

- Games library
- Features

Because it has... games?

The point is that, most people on gaming forums i've seen boils down to 8 or 80, they don't get that brands with lots of similarities, even when one is better than the other, as long the second place still offers decent quality overall, it can still sell significantly. Otherwise the PS3 for example would have sold waaaay less and Xbox and GC would be non existent.

Its competition, people will also buy goody stuff for cheap if they can , PSNow is actually older than the gamepass, but it was streaming only until they brought in the option to download the PS4 games months ago.

Last edited:
Because it's doing so well for them, right? :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_ok:

Outside of the UK and US, the Xbox brand is as dead as fucking Dillinger.

No matter how powerful this next console is. To Europe and Asia, it's just another Xbox. A brand that nobody there gives a hoot about.

The Xbox brand is just fine. They're making money. What isn't fine is your "analysis" and prescription which prove only you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. Re-branding is something a company only does if their name has become purely toxic, which, outside of console warrior fever dreams certainly isn't true of Xbox. A recent example I can think of is Comcast re-branding their sports channel NBC Sports Northwest because the Comcast name is toxic. MS can course correct without dropping one of the only "friendly" consumer facing brands they have. They just need to keep making consumer friendly moves. Your idea would only possibly make sense if they were to repeat the same mistake that Mattricks crew made when launching the Xbox in 2013 which did in fact harm the brand. But not nearly enough by itself to warrant what you're talking about.

Aidah

I don't know about dying, but personally I have no interest in it at all at the moment. I would've sold the Xboxs I have long ago if they weren't gifts. It's just so dull.

Not clear what's going on at Sony lately, if there are internal problems it could provide an opening for Xbox to gain some popularity back, probably mostly in the US market though.

njean777

Considering they are progressing the market (service wise) with game pass and maybe streaming in the future I feel they are positioned at a good place. They may not be selling loads of xbox one's but if Scarlett can take off and be decently priced along with game pass and streaming (if wanted) then I feel they can be in a good place. I like that they give you the option to download a game instead of streaming and hope they continue this model in the future. I don't see game streaming at 4k/1080p being viable for a couple of years yet unless somebody can solve the data caps and internet speed in the majority of the US (if you don't live in a city). So just continue with game pass the way it is and let streaming be an option for maybe 5$ more a month or something.

Also for "Xbox" being dead, I still hear plenty of moms and dads (I work with kids) say that the kids are playing Xbox or Nintendo (rarely hear playstation). So the name has merit, so I wouldn't get rid of it.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
This is some ignorant shit. Xbox just got some massive funding and purchased a shit ton of studios. Theyre also about to launch Cloud streaming, a new console and launched Gamepass. They’re far from done.

That haven't produced SHIT....Too little too late. How long you gotta be strung along with just wait it's coming???? Seriously if Sony didn't own "Greatness awaits" that shit belongs to Phil and Xbox. Bcs fuck if you all aren't always waiting for it to be great. How long does Phil need? How many studios you gotta buy to get out of the Gears/Forza/Halo shadow? At what point is it "ignorant shit" on my part and not ignorance and blind following of a failed brand on your part? Let's have THAT discussion.....Excuses are cheap things that cost nothing. Phil has been coasting off of them for years. So how long before we see results of the god kings labors? I await your excuses and bullshit reasoning because at the end of the day if you're serious about this discussion it's the only defense you really have on the matter. More waiting. More promises. Give us money we'll get it right next time blah blah blah. If I'm paying to get fucked I at least expect to enjoy it. At this point the fool is anyone continuing to support MS after being led astray on promises and failed endeavors.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Because it has... games?

The point is that, most people on gaming forums i've seen boils down to 8 or 80, they don't get that brands with lots of similarities, even when one is better than the other, as long the second place still offers decent quality overall, it can still sell significantly. Otherwise the PS3 for example would have sold waaaay less and Xbox and GC would be non existent.

Ultimately games sell consoles, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Nintendo keeps selling underpowered (compared to Xbox/PS) hardware, because of their games.

PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well because of their games library.
Xbox 360 sold well because for a year, they were the only next-gen console with shiny graphics for the newest games.
Then Sony got their shit together and PS3 managed to outsell the 360, because why?
Games.

And we all know how this gen went.

The average consumer doesn"t give a damn about power or tech, at the end of the day they want to play games.
And Nintendo and Sony offer far more diverse and high quality games than Microsoft.
It's just a fact.

I'm honestly baffled that this needs to be pointed out in a gaming forum...

Last edited:

joe_zazen

How does that damage gaming when it's MS subsidizing it's own games for Game Pass?

generally, a market becomes distorted when some giant rich org comes in and starts doing things without having to make money. Distorted market wrecks things for all the other players who have to make money to stay in busines, whether we are talking grocery stores, gas stations, automobiles, or videogame distribution.

if MS is smart (and i think they are) they will make it impossible for for-profit companies to compete effectively; and in in 5-10 years, enjoy the fruits of their games distribution monopoly.

Last edited:
generally, a market becomes distorted when some giant rich org comes in and starts doing things without having to make money. Distorted market wrecks things for all the other players who have to make money to stay in busines, whether we are talking grocery stores, gas stations, automobiles, or videogame distribution.

if MS is smart (and i think they are) they will make it impossible for for-profit companies to compete effectively; and in in 5-10 years, enjoy the fruits of their games distribution monopoly.
Arguablely they did that already with the original gen1 Xbox. As in I believe overall the 1st gen was not making a profit.
At this point though, it had been 3 gens already. MS investors no longer want to wait. Scarlet need to make money or the backers would not stand for it.

Smasher89

Cant see myself buying a microsoft console condidering they alone made my nintendo and sony console infinitely more expensive indirecly, thats the opposite of what competition should do.

DavidGzz

Gamepass ensures MS will do just fine for a long time. If they add Xcloud for free to Ultimate GP users, they are even more set for next-gen against Stadia and Sony. All of the studios they bought will have their games ready for early next-gen so the prospect of being able to purchase Scarlet and having 100+ games to play including brand new releases from their new studios makes it pretty tempting for gamers. If people want to skip Xbox and go with PC Gamepass, that is still money for the Xbox division so still a win. Xbox will be just fine.

Gamepass ensures MS will do just fine for a long time. If they add Xcloud for free to Ultimate GP users, they are even more set for next-gen against Stadia and Sony. All of the studios they bought will have their games ready for early next-gen so the prospect of being able to purchase Scarlet and having 100+ games to play including brand new releases from their new studios makes it pretty tempting for gamers. If people want to skip Xbox and go with PC Gamepass, that is still money for the Xbox division so still a win. Xbox will be just fine.
The issue is that right now Gamepass is being handed out for nearly free.
We will see if Gamepass can survive while being profitable.

Because it's doing so well for them, right? :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_ok:

Outside of the UK and US, the Xbox brand is as dead as fucking Dillinger.

No matter how powerful this next console is. To Europe and Asia, it's just another Xbox. A brand that nobody there gives a hoot about.

Asia isn't a loss anymore given the state of the Japanese market. I'm sure M&S would like to do better in Germany and France, but the rest of Europe isn't that much of a loss . And yes the Xbox is doing well if one drops the fanboy drivel . The Xbox division brought in over 2billion dollars last quarter alone , this gen been the most profitable for the group.

DavidGzz

The issue is that right now Gamepass is being handed out for nearly free.
We will see if Gamepass can survive while being profitable.

Yes, we will see. MS was smart to do this though. I don't imagine the droves of people who upgraded their Gold To Gamepass Ultimate until late 2022 skipping out on the next console or at least using it on their PC. By the time the deal is up and they have to pay $10-15 a month, many may see it as worth it as all the studios are in their game release stride.

pretty much done? Your talking as if Xbox has only shifted one of two consoles. They have sold millions! As I have said previously they ain’t doing as good as the competition but that does not mean they done. They may have changed their business model to. Most company’s would love to shift between 40 mill plus of a product. Do you see third party’s dropping games to it? All the big franchises are still strong on there

It is not good when almost all those consoles have been sold in one market.
You'd be hardpressed to find someone with an xbox one in asia or europe.

GymWolf

I hope they can bring interesting games from the new studios they bought.

But from a console stand point, they are already dead for everyone that has a beefy pc like me.

HeresJohnny

It's been a horrible generation for them. They can recover from it, but it will take time and the realization that splitting their audience up with streaming is a death knell. Need to go conventional, reasonably priced and powerful to get back to the 360 days. Going off on experimental bullshit with the cloud and streaming is a loser for them.

That haven't produced SHIT....Too little too late. How long you gotta be strung along with just wait it's coming???? Seriously if Sony didn't own "Greatness awaits" that shit belongs to Phil and Xbox. Bcs fuck if you all aren't always waiting for it to be great. How long does Phil need? How many studios you gotta buy to get out of the Gears/Forza/Halo shadow? At what point is it "ignorant shit" on my part and not ignorance and blind following of a failed brand on your part? Let's have THAT discussion.....Excuses are cheap things that cost nothing. Phil has been coasting off of them for years. So how long before we see results of the god kings labors? I await your excuses and bullshit reasoning because at the end of the day if you're serious about this discussion it's the only defense you really have on the matter. More waiting. More promises. Give us money we'll get it right next time blah blah blah. If I'm paying to get fucked I at least expect to enjoy it. At this point the fool is anyone continuing to support MS after being led astray on promises and failed endeavors.
They haven’t produced anything, correct. But that may be due to next-gen being a year away. They clearly are writing off this gen because it’s not worth the investment.

To be fair a lot of these studios were purchased approximately 2 to 3 years ago. Which is the perfect time for development cycle to begin. So it is very clear as to what their plan is.

Lastly, why are you so angry? LMAO We’re just talking about video games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom