• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox as a console brand seems to be really dying lately can Scarlett change that or will it be a short lived project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t have to care, you have your bases covered unless Scarlet can do something your PC can’t. as do I. That won’t hurt you or me, and it sure as hell don’t hurt Microsoft if you happen to still like their games, or even Gamepass. No matter which path you choose and you buy or subscribe to one of their products, they win. Not only that, but you win too. Why should we even care about console sales if we’re happy with our selection and choices? I still don’t see why people get so bent out of shape about all this.

i also has an Xbox One this , but it died, so I went PS4 Pro, PC, and soon I’ll be getting a Switch. I also subscribe to Gamepass on PC. I got games man.

Part of why it concerns me is because there's a belief that seems to be getting hammered home by both Sony and Nintendo that making games exclusive to your console to sell consoles often results in stronger quality of first party titles. To me this has been a lacking gen for Microsoft especially compared to last and them letting all their games reach PC is a sign they aren't interested in making the sorts of games that are killer apps any more.

Psykodad

Banned
I’m not sure why a console exclusive matter when both Sony and Microsoft are in the business to sell games, no one makes money on the console, they make it on the services, games, media and add-ons for those games. A console is just a portal EXCLUSIVELY to those things and nothing else.
So, basically what you're saying is that it's all about games and exclusivity?

Part of why it concerns me is because there's a belief that seems to be getting hammered home by both Sony and Nintendo that making games exclusive to your console to sell consoles often results in stronger quality of first party titles. To me this has been a lacking gen for Microsoft especially compared to last and them letting all their games reach PC is a sign they aren't interested in making the sorts of games that are killer apps any more.
I don’t get this vibe with their recent statements and acquisitions very obviously made for next-gen.

I know. That's what I was talking about all this time.
I’m on my phone so maybe I’m a little mixed up somewhere. Lots of replies it seems.

Last edited:
I don’t get this vibe with their recent statements and acquisitions very obviously made for next-gen.

The acquisitions definitely shows they want a diversity of games, I'm just not expecting the level of effort behind first party Nintendo and Sony are giving us. Maybe Halo Infinite will prove me wrong, though, as a long time Halo fan I'd prefer it did.

Dane

You make it sound like Console and PC gamers are the same thing. You also make it sound like console gamers care that they’re favorite games are on PC. However, the only way the scarlet would look meaningless to anyone would be if they’ve already made up their mind as to who they prefer and holds no water to someone that likes the Xbox platform. I have a PS4 Pro and a PC and I’m happy, but depending on what platform exclusives come out, I may want to play them in my living room rather than my computer room. That’s how I base my opinions.

I'm a vidya collector, but also have a gaming PC and yet play stuff too on consoles. My main is an Xbox One X, also owns a PS4 who's playing some exclusives to take it off the dust, but if I had chosen from a monetary side, I would have remained on PC, buying a console for just a very few exclusive games isn't for me.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Would the Ps5 be as powerful as its going to be though ? Competition is needed.

I'd say so. I mean playstation still has to innovate and improve their consoles regardless because they need to create new systems every so often to allow for newer games that are more advanced. Gamers would demand it and developers would demand it.

I'd dare they if it was just Sony, Nintendo, and some streaming services Sony would have to work a bit harder at having such a large audience to satisfy. They would be less likely to sit and rest on their laurels because in that scenario stagnation means dissention in the ranks of the consumer and someone else could easily come up and challenge them. It would be all about being st the beck and call of the customer.

That's how sony got to be where they are essentially. Sega and Nintendo started to stagnate, sonys deal with nintendo didnt work out so sony said fuck it and came out with the playstation and sank everyone else's battleship for quite a while.

I'm sure majority would disagree but I just think the xbox brand is stagnating and Microsoft is more than unlikely to be able to do much with it. They want to sell hardware in order to sell games, sony and nintendo want to sell games to sell hardware. There is a huge difference and to me the xbox brand is dead to me for that reason.

I'd say so. I mean playstation still has to innovate and improve their consoles regardless because they need to create new systems every so often to allow for newer games that are more advanced. Gamers would demand it and developers would demand it.

I'd dare they if it was just Sony, Nintendo, and some streaming services Sony would have to work a bit harder at having such a large audience to satisfy. They would be less likely to sit and rest on their laurels because in that scenario stagnation means dissention in the ranks of the consumer and someone else could easily come up and challenge them. It would be all about being st the beck and call of the customer.

That's how sony got to be where they are essentially. Sega and Nintendo started to stagnate, sonys deal with nintendo didnt work out so sony said fuck it and came out with the playstation and sank everyone else's battleship for quite a while.

I'm sure majority would disagree but I just think the xbox brand is stagnating and Microsoft is more than unlikely to be able to do much with it. They want to sell hardware in order to sell games, sony and nintendo want to sell games to sell hardware. There is a huge difference and to me the xbox brand is dead to me for that reason.
I’m fairly certain the PS4 was going to have 4GB or RAM until they caught wind of Xbox’s 8GB. Sure the RAM was slower but numbers matter.

Microsofts only strategy at this point is to exclaim that they will have awesome hardware because they killed nearly all of their 1st party studios near the beginning of the gen to make way for Kinect and have TV Studios and so one, it’s been a disaster. But at this time They also can’t announce their games before they announce their next gen hardware. Sony is in the same boat considering the most recent WIRED article.

Gargus

Banned
I’m fairly certain the PS4 was going to have 4GB or RAM until they caught wind of Xbox’s 8GB. Sure the RAM was slower but numbers matter.

Microsofts only strategy at this point is to exclaim that they will have awesome hardware because they killed nearly all of their 1st party studios near the beginning of the gen to make way for Kinect and have TV Studios and so one, it’s been a disaster. But at this time They also can’t announce their games before they announce their next gen hardware. Sony is in the same boat considering the most recent WIRED article.

Not even the same boat. Sony have a lot of timed exclusive stuff and a lot owned developers that knock out big selling and highly regarded games all the time. So software wise they aren't even in the same league.

And yeah it's all Microsoft has had for a decade now. 3 ips and hardware that's it. Xbox one all they did was tout how powerful it was with few games to back it up. Then they did xbox1x all they did was tout how powerful it was but the games didnt get better. Now they are touting again how powerful scarlett will be and haven't shown anything to back it up that shows they have good games. As I said all they get by on is mindlessly pumping people about hardware. They sell hardware to sell games.

And the sony thing I mentioned was a hypothetical if xbox was gone. But as I also said they did exactly what I said by innovating with the ps1 and pushing forward to beat all others for quite a while. It can be done again.

But this is all sidetracking the point of this thread, xbox as a brand is useless at this point. They still are trying to sell things by 90s standards with loud noises and flashing lights shouting "mountain dew and ray tracing " and thinking people will flock to that like a moth to the flame.

Not even the same boat. Sony have a lot of timed exclusive stuff and a lot owned developers that knock out big selling and highly regarded games all the time. So software wise they aren't even in the same league.

And yeah it's all Microsoft has had for a decade now. 3 ips and hardware that's it. Xbox one all they did was tout how powerful it was with few games to back it up. Then they did xbox1x all they did was tout how powerful it was but the games didnt get better. Now they are touting again how powerful scarlett will be and haven't shown anything to back it up that shows they have good games. As I said all they get by on is mindlessly pumping people about hardware. They sell hardware to sell games.

And the sony thing I mentioned was a hypothetical if xbox was gone. But as I also said they did exactly what I said by innovating with the ps1 and pushing forward to beat all others for quite a while. It can be done again.

But this is all sidetracking the point of this thread, xbox as a brand is useless at this point. They still are trying to sell things by 90s standards with loud noises and flashing lights shouting "mountain dew and ray tracing " and thinking people will flock to that like a moth to the flame.
Your history is a bit flawed. Xbox 360 had a lot of new IPs and so did the beginning of the Xbox One. But some were killed off due to Kinect which was most likely influenced by the success of the Nintendo Wii. There was also a lot of bad management at the end of the Xbox 360 and the beginning of the Xbox One. I think that’s been turned around and we’ve yet to see the fruits of that completely. The Xbox One X was a step in the right direction, but the 2 vastly different console approach was the best.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No surprise this is coming from Onq, the person who was touting fp16 to be some secret sauce for the pro to beat the 1x.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No surprise this is coming from Onq, the person who was touting fp16 to be some secret sauce for the pro to beat the 1x.

He never said that.

He just gave info on FP16 and what it could theoretically do. People laughed, ran off with their own fanatical back and forth, and he ended being right on what FP16 can do when utilized.

You know what else he was right about, machine learning in the PS5, and guess what? They announced it’s there today.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

He never said that.

He just gave info on FP16 and what it could theoretically do. People laughed, ran off with their own fanatical back and forth, and he ended being right on what FP16 can do when utilized.

You know what else he was right about, machine learning in the PS5, and guess what? They announced it’s there today.

No he was a major fp16 troll he might not of said it directly but it is what he was implying.
He was also saying that the xbox one x was going to be 6tflops of fp16, the guy is major Sony fanboy or xbox hater, and it does not look like he's changed.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No he was a major fp16 troll he might not of said it directly but it is what he was implying.
He was also saying that the xbox one x was going to be 6tflops of fp16, the guy is major Sony fanboy or xbox hater, and it does not look like he's changed.

As opposed to?

He is the most non offensive “fanboy” I seen. Never once seen him get hostile, no matter the hostility flung at him. Saw him deal with strictly numbers and always hold his composure.

He knows his shit about tech, has some good foresight, does not get everything right (who does that is not directly in the know?), but gets way more right than the feces flung his way.

You can be a fan of something and still talk about the technical side of things in a pretty non-inflammatory way, in which he does.

Yet people lose their shit and pretend to be so benign in the vidya wars themselves.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

As opposed to?

He is the most non offensive “fanboy” I seen. Never once seen him get hostile, no matter the hostility flung at him. Saw him deal with strictly numbers and always hold his composure.

He knows his shit about tech, has some good foresight, does not get everything right (who does that is not directly in the know?), but gets way more right than the feces flung his way.

You can be a fan of something and still talk about the technical side of things in a pretty non-inflammatory way, in which he does.

Yet people lose their shit and pretend to be so benign in the vidya wars themselves.

I just remember him bringing up fb16 a lot and the majority of it turned out to be Bs, and then there's this thread.

What set off the alarm bells for me is learning that MS has decided to not report XBL MAU anymore. Yes, less XB1's are sold as it's late into this gen. However, even then, XB1's are still being sold (not a whole lot, but they're still selling a bit). XBL is on PC, too, and there is also crossplay where MS took advantage of Sony's PR flub. Before, MS would frequently iterate that MAU is an important metric. Now, the company has practically backtracked on that notion. That does not particularly inspire much confidence on the Xbox brand (in general).

As for the console brand, it really comes down to if MS can actually output good games for the Scarlett. Not just mediocre to 'good enough' games, but good to fantastic games of wide variety. The XB1 userbase (which will eventually become the Scarlett userbase by courtesy of B/C) isn't going to grow significantly until holiday 2020, so MS needs to come out with a killer launch lineup.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

I'm not so sure. Do you think all console gamer's would rush out an buy PC's ? Sony would hold all the cards developers would have no choice but to release their games on a less powerful Ps5 or just switch to mobile games only.

Last edited:
PC gamers are a tougher market than console. You are going to make less money.

I don't know. MS and quite a few others do well of the PC gamer and also the PC API tool chain. Gone or the days where id would just focus on the PC gamer when making Quake 3 or Doom3 or Dice with Battlefield and not worry at all about the consoles. Now its consoles that lead and where dice and id do the console versions themself's side by side to the PC versions

And no I'm not saying for MS to do a SEGA, you see unlike SEGA MS makes money off the PC not just from games sales, but from the gfx cards that need Direct X, Windows never mind its various PC toolchain and if people are buying MS Studio games on the PC it makes money.
How many Saturns owners said back in the day I don't need a PS I can play all its best games on the PC with better graphics on my PC?

Also, t may have escaped your notice that LIVE subscriptions are growing (I doubt from the PC gamer side) and help to make MS over a billion dollars in profit last year. Nothing to SONY but still rather good and as long as you're making that sort of money, investors will stick with the XBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom