• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox avatars to get improved graphics, new features.

mocoworm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-05-xbox-avatars-to-get-improved-graphics-new-features

Microsoft plans to update its ageing Xbox avatars with "gorgeous" new graphics and a number of new features.

The company is hiring two software engineers dedicated to avatar development.

From the job postings, it appears Microsoft is taking a renewed interest in its avatar characters as its moves forward with plans for an unified operating system across all devices.

Windows 10 - due later in 2015 - will be compatible with desktop PCs, netbooks, tablets, phones and to some extent even Xbox One.

"As we cross the threshold to a unified operating system and product experience across Microsoft, it is time to for Xbox avatars to also advance to the next level," the job advertisement reads.

"Come with us, as we take Xbox avatars on their biggest adventure yet with higher fidelity and a bigger stage in new Xbox experiences. You will be part of the broader Xbox Experiences team, which owns the Xbox One Shell, and the Xbox experiences across console, desktop, slate, mobile, iOS, and Android.

"At Xbox we're looking for a senior graphics engineer that will work with us to grow the avatar platform across all of our platforms, leveraging the power of Xbox One, the far reach of Windows, and the intimacy of touch on mobile devices."

The new engineers will "ensure Avatars are not only gorgeous, but highly performant [sic] across a wide scale of devices" and "work with designers, animators, artists, and other content creators on the implementation of new features".

Sir TapTap

Almost forgot about these things. I want to go back to not remembering them.

What's up with "performant[sic]"? It's a perfectly cromulent word. Editor must not know many programmers.

Microsoft plans to update its ageing Xbox avatars with "gorgeous" new graphics
Microsoft planning avatars' "biggest adventure yet".

Rare's new game and it's amazing graphics confirmed

Krejlooc

Banned
I hate the sterile look the original Avatars had. They looked like they were designed primarily to not be offensive, which is commendable, but they looked so... bland.

Designed by committee is how I'd describe the original Avatars.

jelly

Thought we escaped them.

If they use them in avatar based games only, that would be okay I suppose but stay the hell away from the OS and profiles. A picture thumbnail is all I want to see from a user.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Cool. I like the Xbox avatars. Hopefully they let you scan in your face like in Kinect Sports Rivals. That was a really cool and overlooked feature.

L~A

Never forget.

megaman-1356112457.jpg

Alx

I hope they'll use Rare's tech for avatar generation using 3D scan. I like the smug face of my KSR avatar. :)

Bgamer90

Banned
People still use them so I guess it's not pointless. Not really interested in avatars.

I wonder how the new ones will look though.

Raide

Either work on some PSO style game with avatars running around, or the equivalent of Nintendoland but do it bigger.

Mista

Banned
Not a big fan of Avatars as mine is wearing the Master Chief gear since forever

Better Profile pictures would be better

I once bought a Garrus eyepiece for my avatar because I thought it looked a bit like a scouter from Dragon Ball Z. I've never played Mass Effect.

I am everything that's wrong with video games.

JP

New features? Surely that suggests that they believe there are already features.

VinFTW

Either work on some PSO style game with avatars running around, or the equivalent of Nintendoland but do it bigger.
This.

1v100 style game
Fusion frenzy
Carting/party games
Online games with rpg elements/customization
Etc

Give us fat avatars Microsoft! I know some of my friends aren't as attractive as their avatars make them appear, it's unrealistic. Let them balloon themselves up. Then all of those people cosplaying like Storm Troopers will actually look people cosplaying as Storm Troopers in real life; Paul Blart: Space Mall Cop.

I laughed, not sure why others took you seriously
Yeah, seriously lol

Raide

This.

1v100 style game
Fusion frenzy
Carting/party games
Online games with rpg elements/customization
Etc

Yup! Do Microsoftland, have all that stuff built in and actually expand the world by getting Developers to make their own attractions.

Urgh so bad, this and Playstation Home are just so badly imitated clones of the Miis it's not even funny.
And Microsofts felt like the worst imo.

Does anyone have the Final Bosman Episode where he rants about the Xbox Avatar's being awful? :D

Alx

The 360 avatars were ok. It's not a bad idea to bring them back.

Yup, out of the 3 types of avatars of last gen, I liked the 360 ones best. The Miis were highly customizable but too simple to fit in most contexts, and not really pretty. The semi-realistic avatars of PSHome looked bland and almost creepy. The cartoony 360 avatars found a good balance, they only lacked in diversity for face and body features.

EGM1966

Didn't they learn anything when we all turned off the paper clip in office? This sounds horribly like having an avatar across platforms and call me a Luddite but that does not appeal at all, certainly not on PC and mobile devices.

Guess the new team can work with the new Kinect team.

Top Bottom