• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer says console supply issues will continue into 2022

ZywyPL

Banned
I think at this point it's safe to say it'll take much longer - not so long ago H2 2021 was suppose to get better, then it moved to H1 2022, now entire 2022... I personally won't be surprised if the situation doesn't normalize until somewhere in 2024.

Ceadeus

I often think about the fact that maybe parts are getting harder to get .Not only because of Covid but also because we salvaged too much and the world has less and less to offer?

I mean, it feels like we're bleeding dry the world out of its source material. I may be wrong and don't want too seem to panicky but soon enough it's going to be an issue right?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Would we still be having supply issues if consoles were shipped to brick and mortar stores for the last few months?

You could walk in and buy a PS4 a month or two after release. Now we're over 11 million PS5 sold and still have supply issues?

CeeJay

Let reality hit you. MS has been making nothing but crossgen games bar a single PC game which they wanted to make crossgen but struggled with. The reason they haven't announced a crossgen game since Dec 2021 (what?) is because they are showing games that won't be out for years.
Back in January 2020 Matt Booty stated that cross-gen games would be around for the next couple of years (taking it to January 2022). They have not announced anything cross-gen after the games coming this year. That is factual.

Once they announce more cross-gen games then fair enough but with the information we have there are no more cross-gen games announced. I am fairly sure there will be some more cross-gen games as there will have been plenty in the oven already being developed by the studios they have been acquiring for the last few years. I would however be fairly confident in betting that any of their long term first party studios will have nothing else coming to last gen consoles.

CeeJay

I often think about the fact that maybe parts are getting harder to get .Not only because of Covid but also because we salvaged too much and the world has less and less to offer?

I mean, it feels like we're bleeding dry the world out of its source material. I may be wrong and don't want too seem to panicky but soon enough it's going to be an issue right?
There is a reason why there are plans in place to mine asteroids and other satellites in our solar system, shit's running out!

major issue when bots have been taking all the stock. Didn't PS5 make 1 mil unit sales in Japan but only 500k software sales. That's pretty fucked.

MS & Sony need to get their shit together with selling to folks with existing established xbox or PSN account beyond XYZ date and let folks actually have a chance to put an order in rather than having to piss around with notification apps that don't really help.

I just find it funny that Xbox have known I've had an XBL account for better part of 6 years and have had the Series X on wishlist on the xbox/MS store for half a year. You'd think with all this tracking they do on their users they would have a system that would prompt customers who actually show interest rather than selling to a store that ends up getting scalped to shit and products ending up on eBay.

Just an idea.....

Three

Back in January 2020 Matt Booty stated that cross-gen games would be around for the next couple of years (taking it to January 2022). They have not announced anything cross-gen after the games coming this year. That is factual.

Once they announce more cross-gen games then fair enough but with the information we have there are no more cross-gen games announced. I am fairly sure there will be some more cross-gen games as there will have been plenty in the oven already being developed by the studios they have been acquiring for the last few years. I would however be fairly confident in betting that any of their long term first party studios will have nothing else coming to last gen consoles.
So tell me what's the counter argument to "Cross gen until 2023 I guess" minus the delusional consolewar sidetrack theory that MS are somehow less crossgen having only released 1 next gen only game through incompetence trying to port an old PC only game. The reality is that they aren't. The have far fewer next gen only games even if they release what, 2 next gen only titles next year? Even that's a maybe.

Last edited:

CeeJay

So tell me what's the counter argument to "Cross gen until 2023 I guess" minus the delusional consolewar sidetrack theory that MS are somehow less crossgen having only released 1 next gen only game through incompetence trying to port an old PC only game. The reality is that they aren't. The have far fewer next gen only games even if they release what, 2 next gen only titles next year? Even that's a maybe.
What the hell are you going on about?

Sony have released more PS5 only games than Xbox have released Series only games, that is not in dispute. Xbox have not announced any cross-gen games coming after the end of this year whereas Sony have several, that is also not in dispute. I'm not going to get involved with your console warring, I am just stating the facts as we currently have them.

Three

What the hell are you going on about?

Sony have released more PS5 only games than Xbox have released Series only games, that is not in dispute. Xbox have not announced any cross-gen games coming after the end of this year whereas Sony have several, that is also not in dispute. I'm not going to get involved with your console warring, I am just stating the facts as we currently have them.

I didn't start console warring, I replied to somebody who was steering it there. I'm just saying this is the reality of it: The announcements from MS were for games coming out years from now.
Sony announced games for 2021 delayed into 2022. They failed in delivering them in 2021 and now they have 2022 crossgen games. 2022 is baron for next gen only games so "crossgen until 2023" is accurate. We have what Forespoken for PS5 and Redfall + Starfield for Series X. I'm sure some of those would be delayed too.

If only MS was smart enough to provide some way for last gen console owners to play current gen games... Pity you were the only one thinking about this.
Yeah make the current gen games on Game Pass only playable through the Cloud on Xbones. That's going to keep everyone paying the same GP money just as happy as the ones getting to download the games. Like that shit is going to work for the majority of 40 million Xbones out there. That's not how a subscription userbase grows, segmenting it in the crib. If that's their plan, well...

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Last edited:

CeeJay

I didn't start console warring, I replied to somebody who was steering it there. I'm just saying this is the reality of it: The announcements from MS were for games coming out years from now.
Sony announced games for 2021 delayed into 2022. They failed in delivering them in 2021 and now they have 2022 crossgen games. 2022 is baron for next gen only games so "crossgen until 2023" is accurate. We have what Forespoken for PS5 and Redfall + Starfield for Series X. I'm sure some of those would be delayed too.
There's loads of stuff announced for Series consoles, Fable, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed, State Of Decay 3 to name just a few that i'm personally excited about. No idea when any of these are coming but some are bound to be getting quite far along by now. I am also confident that there are unannounced titles coming next year including a brand new Forza Motorsport, it's easily been the longest duration without a new title in the series since it began. I can't see any of these being cross-gen. Sure Xbox may have been slow out of the blocks with next gen only titles but once they start coming they will easily outpace Sony for the rest of the generation. Just the simple fact that a lot of Sony's biggest studios are still working on those announced cross-gen games that won't release until 2023 means that they won't be fully moving on to concentrate on their next-gen only titles until then. When are you expecting a next-gen only GT, GoW or Horizon? The generation will getting a bit long in the tooth by the time they see the light of day. Pretty much all of Xbox's original first party studios moved on to work exclusively on their next gen only games a year or two before the end of the last generation so it stands to reason that Xbox Studios are going to be upto speed and pumping out the next gen games sooner. I am not saying that one company or the other are doing anything better or worse than the other. Sony decided to carry on supporting the PS4 generation for longer than Xbox with the Xbox One generation, it's a pity that their official press releases and interview statements suggested the opposite.

There's loads of stuff announced for Series consoles, Fable, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed, State Of Decay 3 to name just a few that i'm personally excited about. No idea when any of these are coming but some are bound to be getting quite far along by now. I am also confident that there are unannounced titles coming next year including a brand new Forza Motorsport, it's easily been the longest duration without a new title in the series since it began. I can't see any of these being cross-gen. Sure Xbox may have been slow out of the blocks with next gen only titles but once they start coming they will easily outpace Sony for the rest of the generation. Just the simple fact that a lot of Sony's biggest studios are still working on those announced cross-gen games that won't release until 2023 means that they won't be fully moving on to concentrate on their next-gen only titles until then. When are you expecting a next-gen only GT, GoW or Horizon? The generation will getting a bit long in the tooth by the time they see the light of day. Pretty much all of Xbox's original first party studios moved on to work exclusively on their next gen only games a year or two before the end of the last generation so it stands to reason that Xbox Studios are going to be upto speed and pumping out the next gen games sooner. I am not saying that one company or the other are doing anything better or worse than the other. Sony decided to carry on supporting the PS4 generation for longer than Xbox with the Xbox One generation, it's a pity that their official press releases and interview statements suggested the opposite.
Oh shit! People look, we have an insider here!

CeeJay

Oh shit! People look, we have an insider here!
no insider, just basic, good old common sense. Or are you suggesting that a new un-announced Gears game is coming to Xbox One? Gears 5 released 2019 so apart from some DLC they are working on their next game since then.

How about a cross-gen Forza Motorsport? If there was one it would have been a launch title as they traditionally released a year before the Horizon game that was using the same engine. FM 7 released 2017 and got good support up until last year but the majority of their resources will have been going into building a next gen only ForzaTech engine along with a next gen only FM.

How about Rare? Sea of Thieves released 2018. Again has had good support but Rare have already announced their next game Everwild

343 have Halo Infinite coming then they move onto next gen only.

Undead released State of Decay 2 in 2018 and announced SOD 3 ages ago, again next gen only.

Other studios such as Compulsion and InXile acquired in 2018 have nothing new announced. We Happy Few released way back in 2016 although InXile did release Wasteland 3 just last year. Compulsion I suppose could have a cross gen title in the works...

As for the new acquisitions, it's highly likely that any games more than a year or two out won't be targeting old tech. Indeed the ones that have been announced have been announced as next gen only.

Tell me why I need to be an insider to see that all these studios moved onto working on next gen only games? Do you really think that Xbox are going to announce brand new previously unannounced cross-gen games when all their most recently announced games are next gen only? Anyone with a bit of common sense can see that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've seen plenty of warnings out there now that if there is an item you plan to buy as a gift for people to purchase them when you see them and don't assume they will be there later.

Seems like shortages in almost all categories are expected this holiday.
Yep, the elite mouthpieces dropped the warnings a month ago.

Three

There's loads of stuff announced for Series consoles, Fable, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed, State Of Decay 3 to name just a few that i'm personally excited about. No idea when any of these are coming
So again. If you have no idea when these are coming why do you think they would refute "so crossgen until 2023" and "most of MS announcements are years away".

CeeJay

So again. If you have no idea when these are coming why do you think they would refute "so crossgen until 2023" and "most of MS announcements are years away".
No idea, at this rate at least some of whats announced is going to be at least 2023. Some teams will have dealt with the covid situation better than others. A lot of small indie teams work purely remotely and it won't have affected them at all but it seems that the bigger the teams get the more reliance they have on being in the office.

Top Bottom