• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Praises PS5’s DualSense, Says Companies Should Learn From Each Other (Hendrick's, GET ITT!!!™)

Probably thinking that's how long it will be until new hardware releases. But we know it will be half that time before new console hardware drops.

They can release a new controller without releasing a new console, no problem at all. They should wait and see if it takes off first though.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They can release a new controller without releasing a new console, no problem at all. They should wait and see if it takes off first though.
I'll be surprised if third party developers make creative use of it. I think the adaptive triggers will get the most use. Trigger resistance when shooting or braking resistance while driving will probably be the main ways. Multiplat developers tend to focus less on specialized hardware functions in my observation. If they use the functions they tend to be gimmicky.

I think where it will shine most is Sony first party and games made specifically around the controller.

IDappa

That's just console war concern troll. Since when did people feel the need to announce to the world their turning off a controller option.
From what I have seen they were answering peoples question. I don't see how it's concern trolling when they usually state it's an awesome feature and they enable it while playing SP but in multi it's a double edged sword. I can see why you would turn it off in multi if it gives you a slight disadvantage over someone with it disabled.

I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet as I'm waiting for them to come in but from what I have seen in cod anyway the tension on the shooting trigger may stop you from pulling it back as fast depending on what firearm you are using.

Shakka43

What's with the PSV gamepad microphone being On by default? There's an actual button to press which turns it On or Off. That's fine and all but shouldn't the orange light be ON if the microphone is On and not the other way around? Very sneaky of SONY. Could imagine all the colorful language SONY has collected so far from Demon Souls players 🤬
The PS5 records a little clip whenever you get a trophy and if the mic is on it will also record your voice, I think it's a nice feature so you can go back and hear your reactions to getting a trophy that might have given you some trouble. I can see people not liking it but I find it kind of cool.

Blood Borne

There is nothing to do do with the position of your thumbs but where it stays when resting. The natural position is what is used in the Xbox controller left stick (most used).
So when playing FPS where both thumbs are on the stick most of the time, does your right thumb hurt or what?

It’s a genuine question, because I’ve never understood the love for asymmetrical or the difficulty to adapt from one controller to another. It just seems like fanboyism masquerading as objective fact. Xbox owners should be pushing for a Wii U pro stick set up, if really and truly their thumbs are more comfortable in that position

Nintendo-Wii-U-Pro-Controller-Black.jpg

cireza

Banned
It's great if people like the new controller.

Personally, I would deactivate all the stuff, just like I deactivate rumbling. I am not really into these kind of features.

IDappa

So when playing FPS where both thumbs are on the stick most of the time, does your right thumb hurt or what?

It’s a genuine question, because I’ve never understood the love for asymmetrical or the difficulty to adapt from one controller to another. It just seems like fanboyism masquerading as objective fact. Xbox owners should be pushing for a Wii U pro stick set up, if really and truly their thumbs are more comfortable in that position

I was having this discussion with someone on here a couple weeks ago, I believe you have to take the form factor of the controller into account also as that dictates where your thumbs naturally rest in the gamepad. On xbox mine rest pretty much exactly where the sticks are with a comfortable grip on the controller however on PS4 I've always had to grip the controller in a awkward way as my thumbs rest way past the sticks.

sephiroth7x

Its a great pad (from the small amount of time I have used it) and fair play to Xbox for admitting it.

Of course they will take inspiration from the pad for future revisions because why would they not? (Unless they were a bit stuck up). Innovation drives the industry forward and these items then become standard. It is not a surprise that most controllers nowadays pretty much have the same shape and feel because they are perfecting them. Haptic will become standard. As have Analogue Sticks and pressure sensitive triggers etc.

I didnt really believe the hype of dualsense, but damn that controller is NICE.

When I booted up the astrobot, it were like god damn disco in my hands.

Easily my top 1-2 next gen feature

martino

so far :
it's great in astro
nothing special to say about in demon soul's
and worst than standard vibration in bc when not supported.Vibration becomes mobile buzzing.
(i have put my hand on MM ultimate and sackboy for correct price condition so we'll see with them)
in the end i bought lot of launch games because i had opportunity and cash.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Same song as always.

Sony praising Microsoft, Microsoft praising Sony as they see them selves as comrades and shares the same passion.

Meanwhile their gamer soldiers are fighting over pixels and which platform is the best.

Will be interesting if it takes off and gets developer support.

The haptics and triggers are very good in Astro's (though more 'huh that's really cool' than game changing imo) but crap in Spiderman MM to the point I disabled both.

Will be interesting if it takes off and gets developer support.

The haptics and triggers are very good in Astro's (though more 'huh that's really cool' than game changing imo) but crap in Spiderman MM to the point I disabled both.
It seems it is not that big deal in Demons Souls as well. How is it implemented in Spider-Man MM?

Greeno

Please make gyro function a standard for the next controller first.
I'm just surprised that Microsoft didn't implement gyro sensors in their controllers yet. They usually develop RTS games like Halo Wars and AoE. These games would be a lot easier to implement on console with gyro sensors in the Xbox controllers.

It seems it is not that big deal in Demons Souls as well. How is it implemented in Spider-Man MM?
You get resistance on the trigger when swinging but it always seems to be the same level of resistance so it adds nothing other than making it feel like your trigger is broken. The rumble just feels like normal rumble none of the cool stuff from Astro's. The one nice thing I guess is powering up that jump from the ground and the rumble builds up to let you know it's ready which is useful but other than that nothing that I could see as being noticeably better than on PS4.

Caio

OK, I got it, Next Gen will have a PlayBox by Sony and Microsoft, 100TF GPU running at 3,5 Ghz, ultra DualSense, supersonic SSD and I/O, more advanced Tempest Engine and Geometry engine, and not any more Console War and 18 pages of crap every time DigitalBiasFoundry release a Tech comparison !

Caio

You get resistance on the trigger when swinging but it always seems to be the same level of resistance so it adds nothing other than making it feel like your trigger is broken. The rumble just feels like normal rumble none of the cool stuff from Astro's. The one nice thing I guess is powering up that jump from the ground and the rumble builds up to let you know it's ready which is useful but other than that nothing that I could see as being noticeably better than on PS4.

So you didn't get what DualSense is yet, very good.

Go and check some reviews of the controller. I found one really explanatory and well dome, but it's in italian, if you wish I can translate for you.

Go and check some reviews of the controller. I found one really explanatory and well dome, but it's in italian, if you wish I can translate for you.
Why a review would make his opinion bad or that he didn't get what DualSense is? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This design is probably the most comfortable for FPSs. But again, in general, you spend most of the time pressing the face buttons. The only genres I can think that would benefit of this design are FPSs and dual stick shooters.

I mean I've been using it myself for the past week so not sure how an Italian review will help me?

As I said the potential is there but if even first party games aren't using it well (albeit a release game) what's the chances of third party's doing so?

I could also see it getting old very fast if it's just thrown in without proper care. Shooting the bow in Astro's, for example, was great and it was used sparingly so it was very cool each time you did it but not sure I would want it in a 20hr Tomb Raider game or something unless they really nailed it.

Last edited:

Caio

Why a review would make his opinion bad or that he didn't get what DualSense is? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

some of you guys are so sad and silly that sometimes I think to leave NeoGAF. It's not a matter to make his opinion bad; actually, if you say something stupid or incorrect, or incomplete, it's basicly for one of these two reasons : 1) you are a fanboy 2) you have no idea what you are talking about. The fact you laugh makes me think you are number 1)
It's not a matter of opinions, if you say a bullshit you simply said a bullshit, don't talk about opinions.

edited: don't even bother about what I said. Disregard. Sorry

Last edited:

Caio

I mean I've been using it myself for the past week so not sure how an Italian review will help me?

As I said the potential is there but if even first party games aren't using it well (albeit a release game) what's the chances of third party's doing so?

I could also see it getting old very fast if it's just thrown in without proper care. Shooting the bow in Astro's, for example, was great and it was used sparingly so it was very cool each time you did it but not sure I would want it in a 20hr Tomb Raider game or something unless they really nailed it.

You also get the feeling of walking on different surfaces, which I find very cool. Anyway, sorry for my brutal comment, I had a very bad week. Sorry.

Javthusiast

Banned
Everybody should hold their horses. Yes the DualSense is cool from what people said and wrote and Xbox could very well implement the tech into a revision of their controller in a couple of years.

But, it could also go the way of the touchpad and in a couple years do fuck all with most games outside of sony exclusives.

You also get the feeling of walking on different surfaces, which I find very cool. Anyway, sorry for my brutal comment, I had a very bad week. Sorry.
No problem mate, hope things are better next week.

It is cool in Astro's and way above what the Series X pad can do & anyone telling you otherwise is being very disingenuous I'd say but it's for developers to make good use of it going forward.

Blood Borne

This design is probably the most comfortable for FPSs. But again, in general, you spend most of the time pressing the face buttons. The only genres I can think that would benefit of this design are FPSs and dual stick shooters.
Not just FPS though, third person shooters such as Gears requires both thumbs on the stick most of the time.

Still didn’t answer the question though, does your right thumb hurt or are they uncomfortable when you play FPS or third person shooters like Gears using the Xbox controller?

Because I still don’t understand the issue. The distance between the face buttons and right stick are like centimetres apart, I just don’t understand how that makes a world of difference.

Pre-launch: "X gonna give it to ya!", "The most powerful console in the world", "All these multiplatform games will look and play best on Xbox Series X, the most powerful console."

Post-launch: "Console tribalism is one of the worst things in the gaming industry". "Enjoy the games. That's what matters the most."

I also noticed that most of the pre-launch cringy stuff came from Aaron lol.
Pre Launch:
X Gon Give It To Ya !!!!!!!
images

Post Launch:
Did you guys manage to find the tools? I swear its around here somewhere...
images

Caio

No problem mate, hope things are better next week.

It is cool in Astro's and way above what the Series X pad can do & anyone telling you otherwise is being very disingenuous I'd say but it's for developers to make good use of it going forward.

Thanks!

Yep, it's up to the developers. In GT7, Adaptive Triggers should simulate ABS braking and Haptic Feedback is integrated with the sound design, just to say something. I think the best 1st party and also 3rd party devs can make a very good use of the new controller.

Last edited:
Not just FPS though, third person shooters such as Gears requires both thumbs on the stick most of the time.

Still didn’t answer the question though, does your right thumb hurt or are they uncomfortable when you play FPS or third person shooters like Gears using the Xbox controller?

Because I still don’t understand the issue. The distance between the face buttons and right stick are like centimetres apart, I just don’t understand how that makes a world of difference.
For me both PS and Xbox design feel OK. But I guess it is unquestionable that the way your thums rest is kinda pointing "upwards" and not slightly to the sides, as it is required when using the PS design. So I can think of people that have issues with that, specially during long gaming sessions.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

They will give it a new name like Xbox Real Play Technology and take a random metric and boast about it and threads will pick it up and say that is why DS was shit but Real Play is the real deal, it was worth the wait, etc...
I'm not entirely sure the DualSense is the part of the solution that really matters for why this technology is so impressive - in Astro's Playroom, jungle level particularly with the wind and grass, etc.

I'm now speculating that the Tempest Engine does part of the initial Audio Ray Tracing BVH work for the game environment, too - which provides coarse pre-optimised tracing for the GPU doing graphics - and then the Tempest engine uses a pre-simulated dualsense structure knowing its speakers/shape/acoustics/haptics and (like the car engine and cab audio simulation in GT5 they did with the SPUs) maps the dynamic game world sound field to the DualSense haptics/speakers for the immersive fx.

If my speculation is correct, then even just bringing out a new Xbox pad won't be enough. They'd either need to take system performance from elsewhere to do the Tempest engine work- cpu + GPU is likely to take a hit - or provide a breakout box like the PSVR box to offload that work to additional silicon.

Top Bottom