• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss talks about Bethesda acquirement

12Dannu123

I have zero doubt that Sony will now accelerate their acquisition plans and it’s going to hurt gamers in the long run.

I have been wondering for a long time now, why Nintendo hasn’t used their cash reserves to start purchasing developers. It seems as if they’re going to be hurt the most by this, unless they partner with Microsoft and Sony for Gamepass/PSNOW.

Sony doesn't have a lot of options nowadays. Publishers these days publish on all platforms. Selling themselves to Sony will limit the growth of the publisher, especially as it means locking to PS Consoles. Publishers business model is against the Sony business model.

Last edited:

Megatron

I have zero doubt that Sony will now accelerate their acquisition plans and it’s going to hurt gamers in the long run.

I have been wondering for a long time now, why Nintendo hasn’t used their cash reserves to start purchasing developers. It seems as if they’re going to be hurt the most by this, unless they partner with Microsoft and Sony for Gamepass/PSNOW.

Sure. Sony: ‘What can we get for 5 bucks?’

JCK75

Its all right big guy. Let it out. They’re just tears.

If I ever get emotional over a piece of hardware I'll end myself. I used to be an insane Nintendo fanboy but once I realized how toxic it was I let that shit go.. I'll own every console and play every exclusive but it's not hard to see the Sony guys on here just shitting all over every move MS makes.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Everyone has been after this deal Microsoft just finally was desperate enough to give the asking price after halo showing. Sony was there to trying to get them also just not desperate to over pay. Let's say Craig was the driver of this.

With money hats costing a billion for Microsoft it made sense to buy the whole cow.
This deal has been in the works since 2018, around the same time they picked up their other studios.
You really think they drop $7.5 billion because of a meme?

Ryu Kaiba

Selling themselves to Sony will limit the growth of the publisher, especially as it means locking to PS Consoles. Publishers business model is against the Sony business model.

If a publisher is sold to a bigger publisher they don't have to give a shit about publishing anymore.

MrFunSocks

Banned
A while back they said they would ideally release an AAA title every quarter on game pass. With 23 studios and say 2-3 years between releases per studio, that seems very doable.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This deal has been in the works since 2018, around the same time they picked up their other studios.
You really think they drop $7.5 billion because of a meme?
No launch title and no momentum at launch. This news is their launch title. The news is the good will to get xbox gamers to buy the box. This new saved the launch period.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It cannot just be me...

jymbMBB.png

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't know about you but I'm not buying an Xbox based on the games that Bethesda may or may not create that haven't even been teased let alone shown properly.
And? That does not mean it was not big for others lol. That is always my favorite I don't like something so no else does to lol. Give me fall out and elder scrolls. I was getting a xbox for game pass regardless this was good news to keep Sony from money hatting more zenimax games. Starfield must be good if Sony is begging to money hat it.

Smoke6

This is kinda awesome. Finally some exclusive competition. Starfield on Xbox will be a reason to buy one.

I don’t get it, I guess the excitement is needing to wear off when people realize the games you seen announced as coming in a few years while everything else would be cross platform for the gen!

I still feel a mass exodus coming from this and the majority of the talent from these studios will form other studios and their true visions and games will still be on playstation!

Yeah MS may have the studios by name but will they keep the talent?

And for game pass to be profitable, they’d have to do Netflix number and some and I do t see that happening!

If you’re excited about all this acquisitions and game pass stuff then I feel y’all should be the first to lead the way in paying full price for whatever their subscription service charges as it will have to increase!

But as I see it only the ones running through the streets naked yelling this from the rooftops are the people who made out like bandits on the $1-3 sub deals!

Keep that same energy when they stop that shit!

Azurro

Banned
Yes because Sony did not try to content starve Microsoft by going to every major third party to money hat exclusives. This is a response don't bring a knife to a tank fight. Sony started this period.

These kind of moves don't happen overnight, they have been in discussions for many months.

Probably the fact that Sony went so hard for console exclusives was their way of counteracting this acquisition.

ZehDon

Gold Member
No launch title and no momentum at launch. This news is their launch title. The news is the good will to get xbox gamers to buy the box. This new saved the launch period.
... what? What has anything you've said got to do with my post?

SoraNoKuni

Paying for timed exclusives ain't nowhere near to buying whole studios, this move was really anti consumer.
If the past is a good indicator about what's to come, I expect upcoming bethesda games to be even worse than their recent mess.

I feel pity for anyone who actually is happy about this, this is not a result of competition, this is Microsoft's same old tactics as they did when bill was in trial decades ago, potentially devastating for gamers.

Enjoy it for as long it lasts, we'll all lose at the end.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Paying for timed exclusives ain't nowhere near to buying whole studios, this move was really anti consumer.
If the past is a good indicator about what's to come, I expect upcoming bethesda games to be even worse than their recent mess.

I feel pity for anyone who actually is happy about this, this is not a result of competition, this is Microsoft's same old tactics as they did when bill was in trial decades ago, potentially devastating for gamers.

Enjoy it for as long it lasts, we'll all lose at the end.
Yes it is just because it your side who has all the leverage to do money hats. Money hatting every single zenimax game is more destructive to the market than this. The dominant player using leverage to content starve the competition. Sony went for the throat to end Microsoft with thier money hat trips. They wanted a monopoly and would get it content starving Microsoft out of the market.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes it is just because it your side who has all the leverage to do money hats. Money hatting every single zenimax game is more destructive to the market than this. The dominant player using leverage to content starve the competition. Sony went for the throat to end Microsoft with thier money hat trips. They wanted a monopoly and would get it content starving Microsoft out of the market.

No it is not. I am not happy necessarily about what MS is doing, but Sony muscled out SEGA thanks to money they could let the Electronics division swallow... it is the job of regulators to keep monopolies at bay and it is not what we are discussing here... yet.

Buying a time exclusive or buying the studio and making it fully exclusive is the same thing except that the IP is still owned by the studio in the former case (almost always) and the title should eventually reach other platforms.

SoraNoKuni

You can't drive microsoft out of the market, the opposite can happen though.

They have money to waste even though their profits And results the past decade were mediocre at best, if sony was 3rd place for 10 years they would probably be closing down the division right now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You can't drive microsoft out of the market, the opposite can happen though.

They have money to waste even though their profits And results the past decade were mediocre at best, if sony was 3rd place for 10 years they would probably be closing down the division right now.
Actually you can they were ready to get rid of the division after Dons failure but no one wanted it. If gamepass fails turn the lights out on the division as it is parted out.

No it is not. I am not happy necessarily about what MS is doing, but Sony muscled out SEGA thanks to money they could let the Electronics division swallow... it is the job of regulators to keep monopolies at bay and it is not what we are discussing here... yet.

Buying a time exclusive or buying the studio and making it fully exclusive is the same thing except that the IP is still owned by the studio in the former case (almost always) and the title should eventually reach other platforms.

I don't think anyone outside the fringes really wanted to get to this point. I think we all prefer the time line Andrew house is still in charge and no money hat trip around the world to lock out Microsoft. That 343 actually did a good job on halo and it was ready for launch window. That Microsoft would stay on course buying small financially troubled studios to grow.

Regulators won't do anything we know that. I don't trust Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo with a monopoly of the home console game. It is bad for consumers and people who work in the industry. There is no company who is going to jump in to really compete. Last thing I think we all want is the return of the seal of approval for example.

thelastword

Banned
Microsoft doesn't have any worthwhile Exclusives, Sony is better.
Microsoft buys some of the best Exclusives on the planet.
Microsoft is desperate and couldn't beat Sony without doing this.
I don't think Bethesda has the best exclusives.....These exclusives will help, but the exclusive card is not on the table yet for years, and nothing to change console adoption to MS to any degree in the here and now.....The Studios MS bought since 2018 are still not ready, their main studios who have been there prior to 2018 are still not ready for this launch. When do you expect these Zenimax studios to ship exclusives that will impact XBOX sales and mindshare for the better...?

pasterpl

I don't think Bethesda has the best exclusives.....These exclusives will help, but the exclusive card is not on the table yet for years, and nothing to change console adoption to MS to any degree in the here and now.....The Studios MS bought since 2018 are still not ready, their main studios who have been there prior to 2018 are still not ready for this launch. When do you expect these Zenimax studios to ship exclusives that will impact XBOX sales and mindshare for the better...?

starfield and tes6 were announced in 2018 so we can assume that these are 2-3 in the making already (at least) we could (hopefully) expect at least one to release on late 2021

JCK75

Between all of the studios there are sure to be some games in the next year, I doubt they will be made exclusive but for now.. having every game from them on gamepass is huge.. but I know I'm not alone in considering Doom games and another elder scrolls to be some of the biggest releases that will come, I'll take them over spider-man dlc at least.

thelastword

Banned
starfield and tes6 were announced in 2018 so we can assume that these are 2-3 in the making already (at least) we could (hopefully) expect at least one to release on late 2021
You expect an Elder Scrolls game (a big openworld RPG) to take less time to release than a Halo which has been in development for over 5 years, which still needed more time. Cyberpunk was delayed several times as an example. To expect a new Elder Scrolls game next year is certainly very optimistic....And I'm not sure that such a game would be exclusive, because the costs of production won't be able to be remade on XBOX and PC alone......MS will create a very tough position for themselves in bleeding more money from this investment if they go the "only xbox and pc" too soon...
Between all of the studios there are sure to be some games in the next year, I doubt they will be made exclusive but for now.. having every game from them on gamepass is huge.. but I know I'm not alone in considering Doom games and another elder scrolls to be some of the biggest releases that will come, I'll take them over spider-man dlc at least.
Well to each their own. I enjoyed Doom 2016, never really played the Wolfenstein games.....I prefer the games like Prey and Dishonored and Evil within, but these are not console sellers on their own, so we shall see what happens....Spiderman DLC is a console seller though.....

Top Bottom