• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox chief: 'We discussed whether we should even do another console'

molasar

Banned
You must assume coming up second every generation a success.
What does it have to do with my question?
Let me reiterate. What do you mean by your following comment "I don't think consoles ever worked"?
Are consoles generally a failed product?

BTW, I do not assume anything here, yet. I do not make any money based on sales of consoles.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It would be through XCloud if they do it, which I highly doubt Sony would agree to it. They aren’t planning to put anymore actual games on other consoles. XCloud on the other hand will be usable on androids and I’m assuming iOS devices, Switch is a possibility.

"I highly doubt Sony would agree to it." You sure?

Yet...this.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/02/sony-ps4-cross-play-open-developers/

and more importantly and to the point this.

So you highly doubt they'd agree to it when historically they've agreed to things they've disagreed with initially? How do you know this won't be like EA access and your "doubt Sony would agree to it" only to have Sony....agree to it?

"They aren’t planning to put anymore actual games on other consoles" My friend, you have zero evidence of that. You could have said that THIS GENERATION and yet here you are saying "Switch is a possibility".... You could have said they are not putting anything else on PC and you have been wrong about that too, so I'm sorry folks, please stop with this.

"They aren't planning to put anymore" Just stop.

You guys didn't know that about MS with PC
You guys didn't know that about MS with STEAM
You guys didn't know that about MS putting titles on Switch
You guys didn't know that about MS putting titles on PS4...

soooooo we can legit relax on this "oh but this is it, no more after this, they won't continue it, that was the last one" etc

No evidence supports that, for god sakes more evidence supports that they have NO DESIRE TO STOP. Their own words. "That is our goal: to bring high-quality games to every device possible on the planet.”

Evidence supports MS wants this as their own words make it pretty damn clear.
Evidence supports Sony might be ok with such a thing as their support of cross play and EA access shows that isn't really a 100% no, it in fact directly contradicts that "doubt"

And to close this tree out, MS own actions show they have no issue putting their games on other CONSOLES as they have titles on Switch and PS4. I've heard them state nothing to suggest that will stop, not continue, lessen etc.

demigod

Microsoft's issues? Lol

At the end of it all they still have more money than Sony. They can do whatever the fuck they want with the xbox division and it won't hurt them. Kinda like Google with Stadia.

Oh boy, not the "money card" again. They have the most money yet they are losing badly to the competition that doesn't have as much as them. Sit down son.

I see MS spending them dollars for astroturfers.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I believe that was indeed the case, in terms in pure TF numbers, but once MS announced RT support Sony decided to also sacrifice some of the die space for RT cores. That would go perfectly in line with that job listing on initially "world's fastest console". I won't be surprised at all if once the consoles are shipped, the PS5 will actually be the "weaker" console, but with much more emphasis on RT, because ND, SMS, GG, PD etc. will convince Sony that that's actually what they want, and will be indeed able to do marvelous things with it.

Lol wow what a conspiracy theory. Bro you do know it was rumored way before the Scarlet rumor tht ps5 would have ray tracing right? Those theories of Sony being stronger were inclusive of it having RT implemented so idk where you get this theory from.

Ima bookmark this comment bcus everything is pointing to ps5 being stronger and as much as Microsoft wants tht title so does Sony. Microsoft has no magical advantage in producing a more powerful console like fans with narratives try to push.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Oh boy, not the "money card" again. They have the most money yet they are losing badly to the competition that doesn't have as much as them. Sit down son.

I see MS spending them dollars for astroturfers.

Oh boy another fanboy who jumped into the discussion without knowing what we're talking about lol. Run along child

If phil thinks that SJW indie games featuring transmen are headliners and represent the future of the industry, i have deep fears for Scarlett because it makes me wonder if they are going to use checklist development for its game library and influence 3rd parties to do the same.

All they need to do is make sure they start out strong and keep going. Give us games we want to buy and that's it, is that too much to ask?

Even Sony is doing something similar, I may have to just collect and play old games next gen.

Pallas

"I highly doubt Sony would agree to it." You sure?

Yet...this.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/02/sony-ps4-cross-play-open-developers/

and more importantly and to the point this.

So you highly doubt they'd agree to it when historically they've agreed to things they've disagreed with initially? How do you know this won't be like EA access and your "doubt Sony would agree to it" only to have Sony....agree to it?

"They aren’t planning to put anymore actual games on other consoles" My friend, you have zero evidence of that. You could have said that THIS GENERATION and yet here you are saying "Switch is a possibility".... You could have said they are not putting anything else on PC and you have been wrong about that too, so I'm sorry folks, please stop with this.

"They aren't planning to put anymore" Just stop.

You guys didn't know that about MS with PC
You guys didn't know that about MS with STEAM
You guys didn't know that about MS putting titles on Switch
You guys didn't know that about MS putting titles on PS4...

soooooo we can legit relax on this "oh but this is it, no more after this, they won't continue it, that was the last one" etc

No evidence supports that, for god sakes more evidence supports that they have NO DESIRE TO STOP. Their own words. "That is our goal: to bring high-quality games to every device possible on the planet.”

Evidence supports MS wants this as their own words make it pretty damn clear.
Evidence supports Sony might be ok with such a thing as their support of cross play and EA access shows that isn't really a 100% no, it in fact directly contradicts that "doubt"

And to close this tree out, MS own actions show they have no issue putting their games on other CONSOLES as they have titles on Switch and PS4. I've heard them state nothing to suggest that will stop, not continue, lessen etc.

It took how many years for them to accept EA access? And they aren’t even a direct rival. I posted a recent article saying Microsoft has no more current plans to offer their exclusives on other platforms. That of course probably doesn’t count XCloud, which once again I’ll point to HOW long it took Sony to accept a non rival to have their subscription service on their platform and you think it’s set in stone with Microsoft?

You can keep telling yourself that Xbox first party and third party exclusives games are coming to the PS4/PS5 though, maybe Sony will embrace XCloud and Gamepass too, but history says they won’t. EA access is one thing but XCloud which would more than likely include Gamepass, They wouldn’t want that to cannibalize their own sales with PSNow, and market space, even with their share of profits.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
If phil thinks that SJW indie games featuring transmen are headliners and represent the future of the industry, i have deep fears for Scarlett because it makes me wonder if they are going to use checklist development for its game library and influence 3rd parties to do the same.

All they need to do is make sure they start out strong and keep going. Give us games we want to buy and that's it, is that too much to ask?

Even Sony is doing something similar, I may have to just collect and play old games next gen.

I thought the same thing. I noticed at Microsofts E3 that all the Indy games were SJW check lists. I do think MS is leaning into the SJW audiance to see which shit sticks to the wall, it wont of course. Sony, especially under layden were trending that way and im sure theyll have some SJW stuff but I think they know what sells and what doesnt. Bleeding edge looks like an amalgamation of SJW freaks duking it out in arena. Microsoft is trying to score points with the Kotaku's and and waypoints of the world, theyll do and say anything for a morsel for positive coverage because none of it is organic.

As for third parties and AAA publishers i do think they may dial back the SJW stuff. Games are already very expensive to make and will be even more expensive next gen. They dont want to take that kind of risk. EA got burned especially bad this generation with Mass effect Andromeda being designed by sjw freaks and we all remember Battlefield 5: Waymens of WW2. Activison never leaned into the SJW stuff and they already have problems now with China and whatnot. Come to think of it with china being such a major player in gaming i do think we will see a dial back in sjw propaganda, the chinese simply dont want it either, blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
Microsoft's issues? Lol

At the end of it all they still have more money than Sony. They can do whatever the fuck they want with the xbox division and it won't hurt them. Kinda like Google with Stadia.
Did you just made an admission of Xbox being inferior?

I mean, you litterally are saying Xbox doesn't need to make smart business decisions. That doesn't sound like praise, that sounds like you are admitting Microsoft is doing a bad job.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Did you just made an admission of Xbox being inferior?

I mean, you litterally are saying Xbox doesn't need to make smart business decisions. That doesn't sound like praise, that sounds like you are admitting Microsoft is doing a bad job.

Way to completely spin my post. But given your post history, its expected lol.

Plenty idiots jump into a Sony thread to bash just like idiots in xbox threads. Keep reaching tho, its a great look for you .

Gamernyc78

Banned
Way to completely spin my post. But given your post history, its expected lol.

Plenty idiots jump into a Sony thread to bash just like idiots in xbox threads. Keep reaching tho, its a great look for you .

I agree about the idiots and fanboys but your comment about doing whatever thy want with the gaming division because as a company thy have more money is ridiculous. That's not how business works. A company has different departments/divisions within itself with different annual budgets and not a limitless pot like ppl try to paint. Because Microsoft is worth trillions means shit in the grand scheme of things (primarily due to pc and cloud applications non gaming related BTW) if investors are not happy. Finanially Sony gaming division is doing way better than Microsofts as per yearly reports of profits and more than likely have more to spend in gaming related aspects due to all the profit thy have made off Playstation. Shit it bodes well for consumers tht now Playstation is basically the face of Sony bcus thy are all in.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I agree about the idiots and fanboys but your comment about doing whatever thy want with the gaming division because as a company thy have more money is ridiculous. That's not how business works. A company has different departments/divisions within itself with different annual budgets and not a limitless pot like ppl try to paint. Because Microsoft is worth trillions means shit in the grand scheme of things (primarily due to pc and cloud applications non gaming related BTW) if investors are not happy. Finanially Sony gaming division is doing way better than Microsofts as per yearly reports of profits and more than likely have more to spend in gaming related aspects due to all the profit thy have made off Playstation. Shit it bodes well for consumers tht now Playstation is basically the face of Sony bcus thy are all in.

Misunderstanding my point. Not saying its right but they obviously have the funds available to experiment and see what works for them. Whether it be xcloud and gamepass, going third party or sticking out the console thing.

The forum would be a lot less toxic if people who aren't verified as owning said console aren't allowed to bash it.

I don't own a switch and have no interest in it. I don't feel the need to run in every Nintendo thread to bash it. There's a difference between valid criticisms and just bashing something you've never even owned. Its pathetic to be blunt about it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
really? lmfao

not everyone is gonna use streaming or PC which are the extremes of the low + high end. consoles have their place.

i don't own an Xbox but it would be a sad world without them. Sony would be allowed to do whatever they want. We need Microsoft to keep things fair and exciting.

SleepDoctor

Banned
really? lmfao

not everyone is gonna use streaming or PC which are the extremes of the low + high end. consoles have their place.

i don't own an Xbox but it would be a sad world without them. Sony would be allowed to do whatever they want. We need Microsoft to keep things fair and exciting.

They all benefit from the competition.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Misunderstanding my point. Not saying its right but they obviously have the funds available to experiment and see what works for them. Whether it be xcloud and gamepass, going third party or sticking out the console thing.

The forum would be a lot less toxic if people who aren't verified as owning said console aren't allowed to bash it.

I don't own a switch and have no interest in it. I don't feel the need to run in every Nintendo thread to bash it. There's a difference between valid criticisms and just bashing something you've never even owned. Its pathetic to be blunt about it.

Yeah I agree about the ppl commenting tht don't own said console, have no interest and just go in warring. But some ppl honestly own or have owned those consoles thy are criticizing and feel burnt for whatever reason whether it be a Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft one.

But I feel you bro 100%

onQ123

Microsoft has the longest losing streak in console history and they're trapped in the console business.

Microsoft has done a lot better than Sega & Atari , Xbox 360 actually done better than every Nintendo console besides the Wii. Xbox One isn't far behind the norm for home consoles PlayStation consoles just broke through the glass ceiling & reach 100 million.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Microsoft has done a lot better than Sega & Atari , Xbox 360 actually done better than every Nintendo console besides the Wii. Xbox One isn't far behind the norm for home consoles PlayStation consoles just broke through the glass ceiling & reach 100 million.

It comes down to preference really. I don't feel like Nintendo has been targeting the customers as Sony and Microsoft.

Bkdk

Gaming is indeed the most powerful form of entertainment but playing as a trans character isn’t gonna move this medium forward at all. Not sure about consoles, but PC will definitely be here to stay for another decade or 2 due to the modding community and highly customizable options. Also PC is needed for developing games. When game engines are even more advanced many basic tools will be very accessible for all so the masses can create their own visual novel with little effort.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What does it have to do with my question?
Let me reiterate. What do you mean by your following comment "I don't think consoles ever worked"?
Are consoles generally a failed product?

BTW, I do not assume anything here, yet. I do not make any money based on sales of consoles.
SONY crushes Microsoft every generation, and this generation convincingly.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Contributing decent posts like #95/#122 does not excuse posts like #114/#132. Just keep it calm and come back in a day please. We don't want you escalating it and getting out of hand.

Prime example of the kind of idiots i was referring to. And a wrestling fan too lol must be 12.

First on my ignore list. Useless making a more toxic forum.

molasar

Banned
No wonder with their corporatism, dictatorship (read: we know better than you) and quantification approach. However they will keep this part of business as long as they make money on it or predict to make it, or just to have and keep some control in it.

Pallas

I thought the same thing. I noticed at Microsofts E3 that all the Indy games were SJW check lists. I do think MS is leaning into the SJW audiance to see which shit sticks to the wall, it wont of course. Sony, especially under layden were trending that way and im sure theyll have some SJW stuff but I think they know what sells and what doesnt. Bleeding edge looks like an amalgamation of SJW freaks duking it out in arena. Microsoft is trying to score points with the Kotaku's and and waypoints of the world, theyll do and say anything for a morsel for positive coverage because none of it is organic.

As for third parties and AAA publishers i do think they may dial back the SJW stuff. Games are already very expensive to make and will be even more expensive next gen. They dont want to take that kind of risk. EA got burned especially bad this generation with Mass effect Andromeda being designed by sjw freaks and we all remember Battlefield 5: Waymens of WW2. Activison never leaned into the SJW stuff and they already have problems now with China and whatnot. Come to think of it with china being such a major player in gaming i do think we will see a dial back in sjw propaganda, the chinese simply dont want it either, blessing in disguise.

Is it a checklist though? If the developers at DontNod wanted to make a game with a transgendered main character than they are allowed to do that. That’s their prerogative. I’ll play it if it turns out to be a good game. That goes to any of the other games that were displayed. Not sure why you pick out Bleeding Edge though.

Also speaking of SJW culture, who was it that moved their HQ across the ocean to the arguably most SJW centric place in the world? Let’s not even start on their lousy censorship policies.

Last edited:
No wonder with their corporatism, dictatorship (read: we know better than you) and quantification approach. However they will keep this part of business as long as they make money on it or predict to make it, or just to have and keep some control in it.
MS isn't a dictatorship though, they have real shareholders. Profitability still matters. Just as Sony is making lots of money on Playstation but they still closed their less profitable divisions. All the things XBOX talks about all year are really all meant for investors, to try and convince the shareholders that Xbox has a future.
Valve is actually more like a dictatorship in that they really only do things because their singular human boss wanted it so. Note that I never said dictatorships had to be bad.

molasar

Banned
MS isn't a dictatorship though, they have real shareholders. Profitability still matters. Just as Sony is making lots of money on Playstation but they still closed their less profitable divisions. All the things XBOX talks about all year are really all meant for investors, to try and convince the shareholders that Xbox has a future.
Valve is actually more like a dictatorship in that they really only do things because their singular human boss wanted it so. Note that I never said dictatorships had to be bad.
Exactly, profitability still matters the most. Everything else is theatricals. I still remember when they got on their high horse in 2013 with their dictatorship approach (not only towards potential customers generally). Though it did not work so well for them. So they know now that they can't be so open about it. All corporations do this if you get closer look at them and study. I always find it funny when their representatives say that they care about customers first.
The bottom line is: Their mission is not to provide electronic entertainment products and services, but it is to make a profit by providing them in this sector.

Pallas

Ofcourse they discussed that.
Xbox as a console is obsolete.

Everybody could've seen it coming after the Xbox One reveal.
How is it obsolete? It has an audience and market share, you really are laying it on heavy with the anti-Xbox rhetoric.

Yup, I knew it. I always interpreted their move away from exclusives and towards PC as a retreat from the living room space and console gaming.

You knew what exactly? I don’t understand this need to portray this image of Microsoft evacuating the console scene and I find it amusing to those who seem to get giddy with enthusiasm while thinking about it.

They give you more choices where to play their games, that isn't moving away from consoles, that’s evolving. Plus let’s be seriously frank here, they aren’t going to charge gold on PC and Xbox is still raking in millions upon billions with XboX gold subs. That’s something they aren’t going to abandon either.

Just live with the fact that there are people who enjoy Xbox.

Yup, I knew it. I always interpreted their move away from exclusives and towards PC as a retreat from the living room space and console gaming.
I said it before, but I feel the purchase of Minecraft was the tipping point. Minecraft is literally one of the biggest games that Microsoft owns, bar none. And yet it is basically impossible to make Minecraft 2 an Xbox exclusive. It would lose too much money that way, GaaS basically benefit from being multiplatform, and get harmed as an exclusive.

If you ask Microsoft, which is more important; Xbox, or Minecraft, I am not sure Xbox could really be considered a higher priority. There is basically no synergy between the Xbox ecosystem and Minecraft, success of one does not help the other.

Mass Shift

Me too. It's not for me. Never will be.

Then you're not going to like the future because streaming IS most definitely going to be a major part of gaming.

And let's clear about something. Neither Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo will survive the future if they don't embrace streaming. The console demographic is not growing. ALL of the growth in gaming is happening in the mobile space.

This is what concerns me the most about the future of consoles. I mean it's such a cheap, mean and obstinate demographic that doesn't want anything to change. Who is going to bet their financial future on us? Especially when our numbers aren't going anywhere?

Consoles is a decades old business model that's being passed by everybody. We're the only ones still using discs while all other entertainment mediums have moved on.

As long as I have the option to download at home, and stream on the go I'll be satisfied.

Fake

As long as I have the option to download at home, and stream on the go I'll be satisfied.
Ow the irony. We need to accept the 'future', but as long you have 'options'...
Just a little reminder. Me saying 'it's not for me' doesn't mean that 'can't be for others'.
You already counter argument yourself. Options will always be better for everyone.

Last edited:
Then you're not going to like the future because streaming IS most definitely going to be a major part of gaming.

And let's clear about something. Neither Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo will survive the future if they don't embrace streaming. The console demographic is not growing. ALL of the growth in gaming is happening in the mobile space.

This is what concerns me the most about the future of consoles. I mean it's such a cheap, mean and obstinate demographic that doesn't want anything to change. Who is going to bet their financial future on us? Especially when our numbers aren't going anywhere?

Consoles is a decades old business model that's being passed by everybody. We're the only ones still using discs while all other entertainment mediums have moved on.

On the contrary, with the launch of Half Life Alyx, Virtual reality will grow even faster. And Game Streaming falls flat on its face when it tries to run Virtual reality games. Game Streaming doesn't have a future because it can't break the speed of light.

You are not going to like your game streaming odds when Virtual Reality become a major part of gaming.

Mass Shift

Ow the irony. We need to accept the 'future', but as long you have 'options'...
Just a little reminder. Me saying 'it's not for me' doesn't mean that 'can't be for others'.
You already counter argument yourself. Options will always be better for everyone.

Well of course options are always better, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. But no, you don't have to accept anything. Clearly you are passionate about gaming. Could you really walk away from it?

Well of course options are always better, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. But no, you don't have to accept anything. Clearly you are passionate about gaming. Could you really walk away from it?
If gaming stops offering what you want, you walk away. That's what happens with something that isn't essential to life. Gaming is for pleasure, if you take the fun out of it then we are not going to stick around just to pay game companies money.

Mass Shift

On the contrary, with the launch of Half Life Alyx, Virtual reality will grow even faster. And Game Streaming falls flat on its face when it tries to run Virtual reality games. Game Streaming doesn't have a future because it can't break the speed of light.

You are not going to like your game streaming odds when Virtual Reality become a major part of gaming.

So VR is the lynchpin against the future of streaming? Well, that's an argument I haven't heard before.

Look I'm pulling VR too, but I wouldn't see it as contributing to the downfall of streaming.

Mass Shift

If gaming stops offering what you want, you walk away. That's what happens with something that isn't essential to life. Gaming is for pleasure, if you take the fun out of it then we are not going to stick around just to pay game companies money.

Interesting. I once heard audiophiles grumble that they wouldn't download mp3s or stream music from a service as well. And they take their audio listening seriously. They certainly didn't give up the pleasure of listening to music just because cds and vinyl were no longer in wide release. I

But to each his own.

So VR is the lynchpin against the future of streaming? Well, that's an argument I haven't heard before.

Look I'm pulling VR too, but I wouldn't see it as contributing to the downfall of streaming.
I am not saying VR would defeat streaming, I am saying Streaming Virtual Reality games is physically impossible. If you want to have game streaming being the niche then it is fine, but you will never be able to replacing all gaming for as long as Virtual Reality lives.

VR is the most obvious way to show the weakness of streaming. And also to knock back on all the technologically illiterate people who insist that game streaming can defeat laws of physics. You can spend a million times more money building a nitrogen cooled quantum super computer in a server, you would still not be able to stream virtual reality.

Sounds to me like MS will throw in the towel after the 9th generation. Scarlett will probably be their last traditional console.

Top Bottom