• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox - comparing 2013 to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGzz

lol what a meltdown,are you fine? who is talking about you? dude you feel so insecure ,take your time out of gaming forums my man

Haha, you didn't name me this time since last time you got banned. Nice.

Anyway, on topic, I can't blame you for being concerned about your precious Playstation so you have to keep entering Xbox threads to troll. It bumps them to the top, so thanks.

Redlancet

Banned
Haha, you didn't name me this time since last time you got banned. Nice.

Anyway, on topic, I can't blame you for being concerned about your precious Playstation so you have to keep entering Xbox threads to troll. It bumps them to the top, so thanks.
go and see medical help somewhere dude,this a console forum not tik tok

Last edited:
I would say they are in a worse position now than 2013. I bought the XB1 at launch, there's no titles coming out at launch for the Series X to make me want to rush to get one.

Kokoloko85

Before the Xbox 1 reveal Xbox was in a way better place coming off the 360, than it is Going into Series S and X

Yes the staleness had been there for a couple of years but the mindshare with Xbox was pretty big With 360.
Then the Xbox 1 announcement dropped and got it worse and worse after the reveal.

They improved 2013 onwards with there fans, but sales and games showed it was nowhere close to what it use to be and the momentum and popularity never picked up again.

Xbox series S and X consoles are way better consoles than 2013 consoles but they are coming In With much less mindshare then going into the Xbox 1 generation And having released another console just in 2017. And Launching with none of their big games is not a great start.

Redlancet

Banned
Before the Xbox 1 reveal Xbox was in a way better place coming off the 360, than it is Going into Series S and X

Yes the staleness had been there for a couple of years but the mindshare with Xbox was pretty big With 360.
Then the Xbox 1 announcement dropped and got it worse and worse after the reveal.

They improved 2013 onwards with there fans, but sales and games showed it was nowhere close to what it use to be and the momentum and popularity never picked up again.

Xbox series S and X consoles are way better consoles than 2013 consoles but they are coming In With much less mindshare then going into the Xbox 1 generation And having released another console just in 2017. And Launching with none of their big games is not a great start.
thats a good resume,also xbox brand was in a decline since the kinect got all the money and attention,but at least people have some excitement for the xbox one with games like dead rising 3 or ryse,but now? micosoft have become a joke,no matter how people and american media tried to spin any bad news and sell you gamepass and series s so blatantly that they look like commercials for the firm,you can see on any forum when there is a poll xbox is losing way worse than in 2013,they are dead on europe and asia,its writen on the wall,and even their rabid fanboys know in the inside things are gonna that way

Aggelos

In many ways, 2013 was a more exciting period compared to now. Phil has given us a powerful box with no compelling reason to buy it for many years, if at all.

But why? Isn't that the case with Xbox One X and Xbox Series X? It's all about selling the dream, selling the idea.
Sitting quietly at your home (or wherever), and musing on the very notion/idea that you have all that raw powah at your fingertips.
It's all about that dream, it's all about selling that dream, that "the powah is yours for the taking". Phil wants people to ruminate over the experience, to fantasize about the experience, to indulge in fantasies, to mull over the wild-eyed dream of having the bestial powah at their disposal.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It's nice being a gamer that has the funds for all games. I bought the Xbox One X simply for a visual upgrade. I will buy the next iteration because of the same thing. The next gen games are coming. The only thing I want a PS5 for is Demon's Souls at the moment. On Xbox The Ascent looks great. Also interested in The Medium, Scorn, Crossfire X, etc. To me the launch looks much better than the One's launch which I also bought. Ryse was a 7 at best. Dead Rising 3 was fun, but another 7-7.5. I still had fun with them but I'm also pretty laid back and don't need Ghost of Tshushima experiences to be happy.

Lighten up, warriors.

Edit: To be honest, the improved load times alone on both consoles is enough to buy both consoles. I hate loading.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Forget 2013, let's look at 2005 - Xbox 360 reveal baby.

Just for comparison let's look at what they showed back at the Xbox 360 reveal (E3 2005) in order:
Dead or Alive 4
<- looked absolutely fuuucking glorious

J Allard: "There's been a lot of discussion about when the next generation of video games begins. It begins right now. It begins this year, and you just saw it with your very own eyes. We'll have 25-40 titles ready this calendar for Xbox 360" <- not 'coming soon', not 'coming for the Xbox family of devices', coming for that console.

Lost Odyssey <- looked super cool
Project Gotham Racing 3 <- didn't actually show any in-game assets at this point in the show, but still cool for the time
Ghost Recon 3 <- looked amazing (was a bit bullshot to some extent, but hey Killzone 2 ;) so I'll forgive it)
NBA 2K6 <- graphics were gorgeous
Kameo <- not my cuppa tea but demonstrated some interesting graphical techniques!
Call of Duty 2 <- another 'meh' but still good they had the marketing for it
Elder Scrolls Oblivion <- again, not exclusive but a great way to show off the power of next-gen, gorgeous
Gears of Mother Fucking War <- I was honestly blown away, I had to watch it again, I thought it was fake but it wasn't!
EA Sizzle Reel (FIFA 06, NBA LIVE 06, PGA Live 10, Need for Speed Most Wanted) Impressive but NFS was the best of the bunch
Final Fantasy XI Online <- had been out for a while already, but still a nod of approval from Square Enix
Square Enix Tech Demo <- again big boost for Xbox to have them not showing it first on PS3

Ending Sizzle Reel of yet more games

Project Gotham Racing 3, The Darkness, Test Drive Unlimited, Frame City Killer, Top Spin 2, Full Auto, The Outfit, Saint's Row, Perfect Dark Zero

I mean.... come on it was a fuuuuuucking blowout and it was fantastic. They literally had so many games to show they just had them as extra (oh by the way, these ones too!). To this day, I still remember watching that Gears of War reveal with the big hunking monster thinking 'how the hell can that be running on that machine?'. It was a crystal clear message of "If you want to have the best next-gen experience, you need an Xbox 360". Not all the games were exclusives but it didn't matter. Xbox 360 had the first showing. It tacitly means something that a publisher would rather show their games on your system than the competition.

I concede that in this day and age, a lot of the big companies have decided to have their own individual press events so some games are kinda off the table perhaps, but still look at all those heavy hitters.
I don't see it from Microsoft at all with this upcoming generation. I also don't see anything Xbox-360-beating in the PS5 launch ramp up but it comes off better than Xbox has.

Feel free to poke holes in what I've said but you all agree deep down.

n3JROlt.gif

deep down.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Besides CrossFire X - what confirmed exclusives are coming before the end of the year?
That is not the measure. Besides, everyone using this as an excuse will have to change their tune when their first party is consistently releasing games from 2022 onwards. What will the next reason be?

They let their new studios complete their ongoing projects, and 343 are a joke.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Microsoft was more arrogant with Xbox One. They were putting up a mask to hide their digital / subscription plans which they still mostly pursued during this generation.

Microsoft is working much harder this time to put up a mask and seem contrite, but I still think it's a mask. These are corporations, after all, and it's cheaper to hire astroturfers and run a social media campaign than to actually match your competitors' first-party capacity.

Leyasu

Banned
Gamepass, xcloud. We shall see how open traditional retail channels are to embracing a product that is hell bent on their demise. Relevancy of traditional channels may not be all that important in the near future anyway.

See how it plays out. But if retail is reserving shelf space and promotions for Sony, things could get worse for Xbox.
Lol yep, those retailers are probably clearing shelves as we speak for that PS5 digital edition. Perhaps they are looking to make bank on those second hand digital licenses.....

supernova8

Banned
Microsoft was more arrogant with Xbox One. They were putting up a mask to hide their digital / subscription plans which they still mostly pursued during this generation.

Microsoft is working much harder this time to put up a mask and seem contrite, but I still think it's a mask. These are corporations, after all, and it's cheaper to hire astroturfers and run a social media campaign than to actually match your competitors' first-party capacity.

Not really surprising since Microsoft is a software and services company that has dipped into hardware with Xbox. Before Xbox they didn't really have much in the way of hardware except maybe... Zune?

Sony is the complete opposite - a consumer electronics company that ended up dipping into software and online services. Neither are a games company at heart but one has more incentive to keep us on hardware, the other has an incentive to move us into the cloud. Remember Sony has to pay Microsoft for Azure servers, Microsoft owns the servers.

You might be right in that they were always going for this but they managed to mask it well in the past. Now they're sort of getting towards end-game (not needing users to have devices).

Njocky

Banned
Gamepass, xcloud. We shall see how open traditional retail channels are to embracing a product that is hell bent on their demise. Relevancy of traditional channels may not be all that important in the near future anyway.

See how it plays out. But if retail is reserving shelf space and promotions for Sony, things could get worse for Xbox.
Who even goes to a store these days? We're in the era of quick resume, cloud gaming and ultra fast SSDs across the board. I don't think it's up to the stores whether they embrace the digital economy. There are those that will and those that will die.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not really surprising since Microsoft is a software and services company that has dipped into hardware with Xbox. Before Xbox they didn't really have much in the way of hardware except maybe... Zune?

Sony is the complete opposite - a consumer electronics company that ended up dipping into software and online services. Neither are a games company at heart but one has more incentive to keep us on hardware, the other has an incentive to move us into the cloud. Remember Sony has to pay Microsoft for Azure servers, Microsoft owns the servers.

You might be right in that they were always going for this but they managed to mask it well in the past. Now they're sort of getting towards end-game (not needing users to have devices).
I tend to think of Microsoft as a marketing / userdata / IP acquisition company that dips into hardware and software.

BigLee74

Anybody that says the 2013 launch was better for Xbox than 2020 will be is straight up trolling.

But that's to be expected these days on this forum I guess.

I remember buying the Xbox One, and after playing Ryse and Power star golf, looking at the empty store for weeks and weeks with nothing but feeble Kinect shit and Loco-cycle.

Third party games like Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts kept me sane in that first year, but their 720p resolution just hit home how poor the actual hardware was too.

Buyers of the Series X will not only have the most powerful console out there, but will also have instant access to a huge catalogue of games spanning 4 generations, many of which will be upgraded to take advantage of the new power. And it won't be £100 more expensive than the PS5.

The exclusives will come soon enough, and with all the acquired studios, lots of them too.

This Xbox generation is set to be the best yet for its customers, no doubt about it.

CeeJay

So much FUD!

I think Xbox are in a great position going into next gen. Look at it this way, Sony have all their eggs in one basket, the console 3rd person cinematic basket! With Xbox Studios there is a huge variety of games recently released and coming in different genres. Xbox have cutting edge industry leading services and you can have a consistent experience that spans console, PC and now mobile. IMO Xbox are looking to the future and paving the way while Sony are looking backwards and planning to do what they have always done. Now that is great if you want to play the same kind of games in the same kind of way for the next 7 to 10 years, nothing wrong with that. But, to say that Xbox are in as bad a position now as they were in 2013 is just pure FUD.

Ellery

Too early to tell for me what position Microsoft is in. I hope it works out for them, but I also don't want them to be too successful with what they are doing. And I can be honest in saying it is mostly for selfish reasons, because I am more of a gaming romantic and prefer 60$ AAA full priced single player story driven games over a subscription buffet.
Though the position they were in in 2013 was absolutely terrible. It doesn't look great for Xbox right now, but much better than in 2013. As we are getting further into the generation we will see what kind of games we are getting.

In terms of games there are some that I would like to try out. 12 Minutes, The Medium, Hellblade 2 and The Gunk, but those games don't make me emotional. I will give them a fair shot though.

mejin

Xbox on 2013 made a lot of mistakes, but the brand was still in good shape and they had the games for the initial push.

Xbox today continues to make lots of mistakes. the brand is damaged and they don't have the games to justify the purchase. Everything is made to support gamepass, a service that don't have all the games you want and never will have them at launch.

Both gens there is only thing in common: Sony PlayStation seems to be once again and by far the best option for the market.

xbox still hasn't given up the live service nonsense. They continue to make the same mistake of not focusing on the games. Their exclusives are weak. Instead of "sports, sports, tv, tv, tv", it's "gamepass and muh teraflops". Sure, gamepass can be a good value but its library is limited and lacks new games. You are bonuded by their library so they can also remove games from the library (which has happened). The confusing naming schemes also doesn't help (general public, which represents a vast majority, aren't gonna figure it out).

CeeJay

xbox still hasn't given up the live service nonsense. They continue to make the same mistake of not focusing on the games. Their exclusives are weak. Instead of "sports, sports, tv, tv, tv", it's "gamepass and muh teraflops". Sure, gamepass can be a good value but its library is limited and lacks new games. You are bonuded by their library so they can also remove games from the library (which has happened). The confusing naming schemes also doesn't help (general public, which represents a vast majority, aren't gonna figure it out).
Being a Gamepass subscriber doesn't prevent you from buying games as well so why limit yourself to one or the other? There are plenty of big AAA games out there that get a lot of marketing and can easily get onto my "want it" list. What I have found with Gamepass though is that there are games that i've really enjoyed playing that weren't even on my radar and would have otherwise completely passed me by, the depth in quality is surprisingly good.

You do get some brand new third party games on there, most recently Crusader Kings 3. I wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise as I tried to get into CK2 and struggled to figure out how to play it. In CK3 it has a really good tutorial that gets you over that steep hump and i've been hooked (pun intended). When it does eventually go off Gamepass I will probably buy it.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I really think this should be it's own thread, but...

The physical stores like Gamestop are going to need to change to a much more digital friendly storefront or incorporate it. This is exactly what happened with Blockbuster Video as Netflix and other services popped up offering similar or better pricing and more convenience. Since gaming is an entertainment medium, it's pretty damn necessary.

I think there are few factors keeping these stores alive:
• A mostly convenient way to trade-in physical copies of games
• A way to visit a physical location to buy certain items like consoles and deal with warranty related things
• A way to pick up a game last minute without pre order
• For those that want to buy a used game, possibly with discount, without a wait, this is convenient

Topfuel

2013 wasn't a fatal mistake

But Phil Spencer is not a good leader for Xbox, and he hasn't made the right changes soon enough. He panders to numbers and metrics and gives no thought into the medium as art.

In many ways, 2013 was a more exciting period compared to now. Phil has given us a powerful box with no compelling reason to buy it for many years, if at all.

Spiderman DLC and 30 fps Ratchet is the pinnacle of next gen?

IMO xboxs biggest problem is being america focused.

They should have 2 leaders, one for USA, one for rest of the world.

There is just too big of a cap between what works in patriotic USA vs. what works in eu/asia/rest of the world.

If anything, xbox attitude makes me dislike them, it is kind of like watching some US car reality shows where some dudes repeat "imports are shit! look at our 12tf.. err. 12.0 L motor! tiny efficent imports cant beat RAW power of american muscle!" aka lot of feeling-based-talk

And then they jump in their ridiculous cars and extinct 10 species by burning more gasoline than 10 imports would

Last edited:

Jerm411

That is not the measure. Besides, everyone using this as an excuse will have to change their tune when their first party is consistently releasing games from 2022 onwards. What will the next reason be?

They let their new studios complete their ongoing projects, and 343 are a joke.

MS/XBox....the proverbial JUST YOU WAIT~!!!! brand....

Now we’re waiting until 2022 huh? What will we be waiting for next when it rolls around?

quest

Not Banned from OT
IMO xboxs biggest problem is being america focused.

They should have 2 leaders, one for USA, one for rest of the world.

There is just too big of a cap between what works in patriotic USA vs. what works in eu/asia/rest of the world.

If anything, xbox attitude makes me dislike them, it is kind of like watching some US car reality shows where some dudes repeat "imports are shit! look at our 12tf.. err. 12.0 L motor! tiny efficent imports cant beat RAW power of american muscle!" aka lot of feeling-based-talk

And then they jump in their ridiculous cars and extinct 10 species by burning more gasoline than 10 imports would
Lmao the excuses the main land EU gives just say your blind fan boys. When Sony told you get a second job you guys lapped it up and kept Sony going. America and the UK forced Sony to change in the ps3 days. There is nothing Microsoft could do to sell in the mainland EU. So I hope they concentrate on the Americas and other areas willing to give them a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom