• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox confirmed to be at E3 2020

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Nice timing Spencer..

But we shall wait and see what 2020 will turn out to be , E3 is all urs Phil but that doesn't mean Sony is giving you the throne ! .. so I hope you surprise me at E3

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Sony not attending E3: Let's avoid an official announcement. We'll tell game sites this and they can tell gamers. This will prevent gamers bombing our Twitter

MS attending E3: Let's make an official announcement we'll be there. We'll do it on Twitter.
It's so reactionary haha

Chromata

They wasted no time on that one lol. It's interesting how MS and Sony are taking such different directions.

MS is focusing on a shared ecosystem with exclusives distributed across systems of varying power and sticking with E3.

Sony is doubling down on PS5 with launch exclusives (traditional route) and ditching E3 for more direct newsfeed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hey Phil Spencer..... (if you are reading this post).

Don't forget at E3 to remind gamers Sony's MLB is coming to Xbox. You probably won't have video to show yet as I think the deal opens up for 2021, but throw in a reminder to gamers it's coming.

Kagey K

Banned
I wonder how stuff like this affects publishing deals and stuff. Especially for indies. E3 presser is the big stage every indie game wants to be on and one isn’t even holding a presser do they go to the other guy for the exposure?

Especially during a generational shift where you don’t know where the chips will land, and MS can sweeten the pot with some Gamepass money.

pr0cs

Excellent, I suppose I won't have to make excuses at work since there will be one less conference to book time for.
Shortsighted but then Sony has the crown and doesn't need to keep the masses informed about their new products

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Man Sony better do that event in February so they can get the news cycle for a bit because once xbox show's the superior console with amazing looking games plus a cheaper console it's over for sony
Dreams: Feb
Final Fantasy 7: March
Nioh 2: March
TLOU Part 2: May
Ghost of Tsushima: June - September

I have a feeling Sony will have an amazing 2020 that will be hard to top

Varteras

Gold Member
I wonder how stuff like this affects publishing deals and stuff. Especially for indies. E3 presser is the big stage every indie game wants to be on and one isn’t even holding a presser do they go to the other guy for the exposure?

Especially during a generational shift where you don’t know where the chips will land, and MS can sweeten the pot with some Gamepass money.

I think that really depends on what Sony has planned. Right now we don't know what major events they have planned, if any, to essentially replace their E3 presence. If, for example, Sony plans some big event of their own during the Summer then that would easily be a place for indies and major third-parties to show off their games with them. I've felt that if Sony continued to walk away from E3 then they should do PlayStation Experience again but during Summer instead of Winter. Now if they're not doing anything major, which I feel would be a bad call, then they might find themselves in an uphill battle with outside studios and publishers who want big exposure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Having the chance to show respect and talk to their fans is important to Xbox - to Sony, not so much...

More important for small studios and indies who get lucky getting some on stage promotion too. Even if it's one of those cookie cutter indie montages with 30 games in 3 minutes.

It just goes to show you Sony is 100% BS when it comes to gamers and helping indies. Remember years back it was all about montages and Resogun and all these random games? They cut the cord with that about 3 years ago. The second the critical mass gets big enough it's all about big names games (first and third party) and when it gets even bigger (first party only). And then when it gets huge, they gas E3 entirely.

Kagey K

Banned
I think that really depends on what Sony has planned. Right now we don't know what major events they have planned, if any, to essentially replace their E3 presence. If, for example, Sony plans some big event of their own during the Summer then that would easily be a place for indies and major third-parties to show off their games with them. I've felt that if Sony continued to walk away from E3 then they should do PlayStation Experience again but during Summer instead of Winter. Now if they're not doing anything major, which I feel would be a bad call, then they might find themselves in an uphill battle with outside studios and publishers who want big exposure.
Ehhhhh, if I was an indie game I don’t think I’d be happy with half a second of my game being shown in a sizzle reel of other indie games sandwiched in between some other stuff.

At E3 I could sit down and demo my game for 15 mins at a time to every press outlet over a 2 day period and have it streamed live.

There is a very big difference between E3 and a Sony presser during the summer.

That’s like saying the Super Bowl and the Rose Bowl are the same thing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol tables have turned. last gen it was Sony taking advantage of every MS muck up. I dont particularly like the games hes put out this gen, but Phil's been super quick to engage and be open about his approach. good communication and quick thinking is not going to give us a great console and great games, but its better than treating us like children and keeping us in the dark about fucking video games as if they are some top secret classified battle plans.

Bkdk

If they go, they better have lots of games to announce, here’s what I want: obsidian open world rpg, AAA inexile Crpg, fable 4, halo infinite gameplay, AOE4 new civ 1v1 gameplay + release date, MS flight gameplay + release date, new forza plus 1 big JRPG studio acquisition plus teaser trailer. Also hoping for enhanced hololens and New new physics Engine demonstration. Last year was very disappointing but Microsoft do have the most potential to deliver the best e3 ever with all the possibilities.

CyberPanda

Banned
KHvkbyD.jpg

lBD8A1U.jpg

Varteras

Gold Member
Ehhhhh, if I was an indie game I don’t think I’d be happy with half a second of my game being shown in a sizzle reel of other indie games sandwiched in between some other stuff.

At E3 I could sit down and demo my game for 15 mins at a time to every press outlet over a 2 day period and have it streamed live.

There is a very big difference between E3 and a Sony presser during the summer.

That’s like saying the Super Bowl and the Rose Bowl are the same thing.

Who says it would be that way? I'm pretty sure PlayStation Experience was a multi-day event with press and public. They even had panels over the course of the event. Game stations were setup for people to play. A lot of people felt like it was Sony's own E3 event in the Winter. It just depends on how big Sony wants to go with it but nothing says it's a simple "here's some game videos... thanks for your time!"

Who says it would be that way? I'm pretty sure PlayStation Experience was a multi-day event with press and public. They even had panels over the course of the event. Game stations were setup for people to play. A lot of people felt like it was Sony's own E3 event in the Winter. It just depends on how big Sony wants to go with it but nothing says it's a simple "here's some game videos... thanks for your time!"
Pssst. This is pretty clearly a fanboy circle jerk thread at this point. Don't try to reason with them rn.

Kagey K

Banned
That doesn’t sound like a company doing it to save money, as has been the narrative from some people. I’d like to see viewer numbers for the live streams from previous ones compared to E3.

If we want to act like they are the same.

Varteras

Gold Member
That doesn’t sound like a company doing it to save money, as has been the narrative from some people. I’d like to see viewer numbers for the live streams from previous ones compared to E3.

If we want to act like they are the same.

I'm not interested in the narrative people have in their heads. If you want to spend your time looking for view counts and whatnot be my guest. I'm saying if Sony does a major event to replace their lack of presence at E3 then there is no reason to assume that it wouldn't be something good enough for indies and major publishers to get behind. IF they do something major. There is the possibility they won't, which in that case there is a problem.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not interested in the narrative people have in their heads. If you want to spend your time looking for view counts and whatnot be my guest. I'm saying if Sony does a major event to replace their lack of presence at E3 then there is no reason to assume that it wouldn't be something good enough for indies and major publishers to get behind. IF they do something major. There is the possibility they won't, which in that case there is a problem.
Oh so you are assuming?

Sorry I thought you were taking examples from the past. There’s nothing to talk about here.

Kagey K

Banned
I was making conversation. Talking about possibilities. Sorry, I thought that's what we do here.
The other Playstation experiences have been one night deals where they do the presser, they play the games under supervised settings the next day and go home and write about them. They haven’t even come close to what E3 is.

This time it’s going to change though?

By the way this is way off topic and should be in the Sony not going to E3 thread instead.

I got banned for derailing my own thread previously so I’m going to end it here,

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
If they go, they better have lots of games to announce, here’s what I want: obsidian open world rpg, AAA inexile Crpg, fable 4, halo infinite gameplay, AOE4 new civ 1v1 gameplay + release date, MS flight gameplay + release date, new forza plus 1 big JRPG studio acquisition plus teaser trailer. Also hoping for enhanced hololens and New new physics Engine demonstration. Last year was very disappointing but Microsoft do have the most potential to deliver the best e3 ever with all the possibilities.

Hololens??? For what? Cool concept, but like the Kinect, the non gaming applications are way better.

What would they show? Didn't I see some threads saying MS won't have any exclusives/first party titles for the xbsx for at least two years?

I'm genuinely curious and hope they have a good showing, I just don't know how hyped anyone would be other than seeing more of the new plastic. Maybe they can show off the power brick and talk up the controller for xbsx?

Psykodad

Banned
Dreams: Feb
Final Fantasy 7: March
Nioh 2: March
TLOU Part 2: May
Ghost of Tsushima: June - September

I have a feeling Sony will have an amazing 2020 that will be hard to top

This.

There is no point in going to E3 if Sony does their own reveal event for PS5.
It's a shame, but the only major PS4 title left by then will be Ghost of Tsushima and they will just have shown PS5 already.

No doubt if they would just show one or two trailers for PS5 exclusives, they'll generate more hype than MS' E3 presser anyway. Lol

Last edited:

Outrunner

Xbots so desperate to have Phil go on stage present them a new car and lie to them about how many "exclusives" their 20 studio acquisitions will release 20 years from now that they don't even try to figure it out.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The other Playstation experiences have been one night deals where they do the presser, they play the games under supervised settings the next day and go home and write about them. They haven’t even come close to what E3 is.

This time it’s going to change though?

By the way this is way off topic and should be in the Sony not going to E3 thread instead.

I got banned for derailing my own thread previously so I’m going to end it here,

They were actually two-day events and plenty of major publishers got on board with it as well as some indies. The extent to what they got to show and talk about, I'm not sure. But if Sony wants to hold a similar major event and "improve"" it, I don't see why they couldn't. It's not really off topic since you decided to point out them not being at E3 as to how that could effect marketing deals on Microsoft's behalf. It's part of the conversation. Sorry you don't like it and want to keep resorting to being passive-aggressive. I'm not surprised given your history.

Kagey K

Banned
They were actually two-day events and plenty of major publishers got on board with it as well as some indies. The extent to what they got to show and talk about, I'm not sure. But if Sony wants to hold a similar major event and "improve"" it, I don't see why they couldn't. It's not really off topic since you decided to point out them not being at E3 as to how that could effect marketing deals on Microsoft's behalf. It's part of the conversation. Sorry you don't like it and want to keep resorting to being passive-aggressive. I'm not surprised given your history.

Whatever. Sorry I wasted my time.

Shambala

Ah yes the expected commenters are in here lol. Let’s hope they have a great show like last year e3 again am I right guys 😂😂

Top Bottom