• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox confirmed to be at E3 2020

Maybe this time show some gameplay, microsoft.
I mean that's kind of a given, clearly Microsoft and Sony have been very guarded and calculated around their release of information and showing things, this also includes third party publishers.

Do you see any release dates or announcements of games from anyone going beyond the release of these consoles? No, the whole industry is holding back to blow their load after or during the announcement of these systems.

Everyone is waiting.

GymWolf

I mean that's kind of a given, clearly Microsoft and Sony have been very guarded and calculated around their release of information and showing things, this also includes third party publishers.

Do you see any release dates or announcements of games from anyone going beyond the release of these consoles? No, the whole industry is holding back to blow their load after or during the announcement of these systems.

Everyone is waiting.
I was talking more about last year microsoft e3 where they presented only cg stuff.

Maybe this time it will be better.

Sony always had long gameplay videos in their conference, even the mediocre one of 2018.

Nobody gives a fuck about cg trailers and they have to push next gen games like halo or next gen multiplats game in some way.

Last edited:

Xenon

Not all E3s are equal. New gen E3 is the show at its best. Seeing the new systems, the first wave of software and a peak at what's down the pike. It doesn't get much better than that for this hobby.

I understand that both companies made missteps the beginning of the current gen. MS canceling or changing games and Sony showing things too early and delaying. But MS needs to open up and show new titles, even stuff a few years out to give people a reason to switch over to Xbox. 2020 only titles are not enough this time.

NeoGiffer

MyHcOFW.gif

Whitecrow

Banned
Press 'F' to get pretty words:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Phil is nothing more than a machine at this point

SleepDoctor

Banned
Xbots so desperate to have Phil go on stage present them a new car and lie to them about how many "exclusives" their 20 studio acquisitions will release 20 years from now that they don't even try to figure it out.

They say "better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Holy shit you done fucked up lmao.

OT: Good pr move but still the question is what are they going to show us besides 3rd party games, Halo, and maybe some way off exclusives? I hope im wrong. Competition is what's need most in this industry.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I hope we at least get a look at the XSX software that's coming out in 2021 and beyond. It'll be nice to get a look at Halo Infinite, too. Outside of that, I expect a lot of Assassin's Creed and Forza segments and CG trailers from 3rd parties like last year when they had the entire venue to themselves.

Ryu Kaiba

“E3 is an outstanding opportunity for us to share new games and experiences with fans and business partners from across the globe. Every year, we discuss what will be the best way for us to take advantage of the next E3 show in order to bring smiles to people’s faces.” -Reggie 2019

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That's what I've been saying. They can definitely poach some of their former customers back from PlayStation with a strong E3 showing. Phil this is the moment to get millions of gamers excited about the brand again. Don't fuck it up.
I hope it isn't like their previous shows where they show too many multiplatform games. People need to see something that separates you from the competition

Grinchy

Banned
It would be sweet if they showed what kind of enhancements we can expect for Gears Tactics on XSX. Hopefully they are spit-shining that one as heavily as they will be Halo Infinite.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I see a lot of comments that they are glad MS is giving us a show.

That's the problem: MS has given decent (I won't say outstanding) shows, but the games haven't delivered. can't say a single exclusive this gen has blown me away. Gears 5 was outstanding though.

As such, I really couldn't care less about their shows, because I am conditioned to believe it will be a lot of noise with considerably less substance.

Having said that, I appreciate Sony taking the "silence is golden" approach, but at some point it won't hurt to do a little engagement with the fans.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If i knew my direct competitor had way more T-flops.

And that is how i suddenly won last gen.
I wouldn't want to show up either 🤔
Create my own event. My own little safety bubble 👍

Ofc this could be wrong, but it makes one think at night.. 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I see a lot of comments that they are glad MS is giving us a show.

That's the problem: MS has given decent (I won't say outstanding) shows, but the games haven't delivered. can't say a single exclusive this gen has blown me away. Gears 5 was outstanding though.

As such, I really couldn't care less about their shows, because I am conditioned to believe it will be a lot of noise with considerably less substance.

Having said that, I appreciate Sony taking the "silence is golden" approach, but at some point it won't hurt to do a little engagement with the fans.
Except it's not just Sony who loses or gains it's the little guy who is going to suffer the most. Sony will sell their 100 million consoles regardless. The little guy just lost their biggest showcase to get there game out there to the non hardcore gamer who watches E3 coverage. With no Sony that showcase is dead for them all to increase the bonuses of the management of Sony by cutting costs increasing profits. You can try to defend this as silence is golden but it shits on the little guy. Sony has an obligation not to harm the the industry as they are the dominant force.

Hobbygaming

Sure, keep on telling yourself that and maybe it will become true.
Fair point.
But if Sony shows new stuff in a video direct, they still can create buzz along with being talked about because of their absence.

Iirc last year people were discussing Sony more than MS during E3. Without being there.
This. That pre-E3 Death Stranding release date trailer, overshadowed the Xbox E3 showing

Last edited:

Klayzer

I hope it isn't like their previous shows where they show too many multiplatform games. People need to see something that separates you from the competition
In my opinion, multiplats will not move the needle much at all. What people want from Xbox is something unique and dynamic. The studios I'm expecting big things from are: Playground, The Initiative, and Obsidian. Do not overlook what Obsidian can do with the type of financial backing they have now. Totally excited about the possibilities.

Hobbygaming

In my opinion, multiplats will not move the needle much at all. What people want from Xbox is something unique and dynamic. The studios I'm expecting big things from are: Playground, The Initiative, and Obsidian. Do not overlook what Obsidian can do with the type of financial backing they have now. Totally excited about the possibilities.
Agreed. Hopefully they show the 1st party stuff

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Except it's not just Sony who loses or gains it's the little guy who is going to suffer the most. Sony will sell their 100 million consoles regardless. The little guy just lost their biggest showcase to get there game out there to the non hardcore gamer who watches E3 coverage. With no Sony that showcase is dead for them all to increase the bonuses of the management of Sony by cutting costs increasing profits. You can try to defend this as silence is golden but it shits on the little guy. Sony has an obligation not to harm the the industry as they are the dominant force.
You’re acting like this is still 2009. E3 matters so little right now. Sony can have their own show at any time and it will get a ton of press and attention.
Given how poor E3 has been in recent years, it has less relevance now than it ever has had.
Either way, when Sony does speak people will pay attention.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You’re acting like this is still 2009. E3 matters so little right now. Sony can have their own show at any time and it will get a ton of press and attention.
Given how poor E3 has been in recent years, it has less relevance now than it ever has had.
Either way, when Sony does speak people will pay attention.
You think CNN or cbs is going to cover a state of play lol? It's also the sit down interviews and demonstrations during E3 week when the whole gaming world is watching. This is bad for them period. A few seconds on a shitty state of play won't do anything who watches that crap.

Flintty

This will be make or break for Xbox.

They need full spec reveal of XSX (just a few minutes mind, not a full length movie) with a good price point, big game reveals including Fable 4 and gameplay footage of Infinite, followed up with some new IP and XSX third party games. And more games. Make it all about the games.

And then more games.

Fuck this up and it’s another poor gen compared to PS5.

I think Microsoft needs 2 things to turn around the lead between them and Sony:

1.) Their established ips need epic, kickass sequels. Halo Infinite campaign needs to be more than just good, it needs to blow minds. I'm not Halo-nerd enough to come up with the perfect idea, but maybe turn Halo into an MMO-FPS (no rpg elements) with an (fun) open world and an ongoing story. Playable offline, too, much like Monster Hunter.

Gears of War 6 needs to go back to being the ultimate Dudebro-game. Honestly, keep the core gameplay the same, but maybe go big in on branching story, basically like Starfox 64, creating dozens of unique routes that all change the story and dfficulty. Also bombast graphics!

Fable 4 ... I dunno. I think the 'funny', ironic presentation just doesn't work for a vast rpg that wants you to immerse yourself. If they can make it more serious, but keep the highly reactive environment, they could steal some of BotW's thunder.

And a new Forza needs to be there, ofc.

2.) 2-3 AMAZING new ips. Something that shows 'omg wow, Microsoft is capable of creating such games, too!'. Hellblade, Quantum Break and such are nice games but ... they're so stressful. Look at Sony's cinematic games: Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc, they feature LIKEABLE characters. That's what Microsoft needs. Not just super stressfull psycho-horror trips, but also something where a bunch of heroes go on a journey and experience the whole range of emotions. Something like 'The Goonies' or Stranger Things as a video game. Something with heart.

If Microsoft can offer such games, they can achieve big things. However, if they just keep making 'haha, look how I killed that guy, isn't killing funny?' type of games, they'll lose to Sony, at the latest when the next Nier Automata is PlayStation exclusive again.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I think Microsoft needs 2 things to turn around the lead between them and Sony:

1.) Their established ips need epic, kickass sequels. Halo Infinite campaign needs to be more than just good, it needs to blow minds. I'm not Halo-nerd enough to come up with the perfect idea, but maybe turn Halo into an MMO-FPS (no rpg elements) with an (fun) open world and an ongoing story. Playable offline, too, much like Monster Hunter.

Gears of War 6 needs to go back to being the ultimate Dudebro-game. Honestly, keep the core gameplay the same, but maybe go big in on branching story, basically like Starfox 64, creating dozens of unique routes that all change the story and dfficulty. Also bombast graphics!

Fable 4 ... I dunno. I think the 'funny', ironic presentation just doesn't work for a vast rpg that wants you to immerse yourself. If they can make it more serious, but keep the highly reactive environment, they could steal some of BotW's thunder.

And a new Forza needs to be there, ofc.

2.) 2-3 AMAZING new ips. Something that shows 'omg wow, Microsoft is capable of creating such games, too!'. Hellblade, Quantum Break and such are nice games but ... they're so stressful. Look at Sony's cinematic games: Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc, they feature LIKEABLE characters. That's what Microsoft needs. Not just super stressfull psycho-horror trips, but also something where a bunch of heroes go on a journey and experience the whole range of emotions. Something like 'The Goonies' or Stranger Things as a video game. Something with heart.

If Microsoft can offer such games, they can achieve big things. However, if they just keep making 'haha, look how I killed that guy, isn't killing funny?' type of games, they'll lose to Sony, at the latest when the next Nier Automata is PlayStation exclusive again.
Interesting write up. Your points in paragraph two has a lot of merit, and I'm of like mind with most of it. I do agree also that a new ip with a likeable character would do well outside of the base.

Ten_Fold

Microsoft is in a good position for next gen, I think they usually do an event in like April which they will probably talk about the new xbox and at E3 they will really show off what they got, and they can one up Sony. I wanna see Microsoft close the gap, keeps Sony humble.

Elenchus

Banned
Lol who cares?

Whether they hold a press conference at E3or do their own press conference, there's still gonna be a press conference.

At E3 they can do something like a State of Play.
Nobody misses out on anything, it's just that they're gonna hold a press conference at a different date.

When did Sony confirm they would be holding a press conference? All I heard is that they would be attending lots of events.

I don't know why some of you are making this a big deal..... Sure E3 maybe failing but at least there's something to look forward too! Xbox may not be your console of choice but it won't hurt to see what they might have in store, could drop a megaton or two

fallingdove

I think it's their little revenge for the Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video.
That was revenge? If so, that is the equivalent of throwing a wet sock over your neighbors fence.

Glad to see Microsoft is still attending. I haven’t been impressed with a Microsoft presser in a few years but e3 is something I always look forward to.

DonF

Well played, Microsoft. I enjoy e3, is a great week. I doubt Sony is going to do absolutely nothing, even a direct style video would be enough.

Psykodad

Banned
When did Sony confirm they would be holding a press conference? All I heard is that they would be attending lots of events.
Apart from it being safe to assume that they will have their own event, especially since they start a celebration event in 2 days til feb 16th iirc, they have press conferences at other events.

E3 isn't the only place for a press conference.

FlyyGOD

Can we get a Perfect Dark reboot in 3d person , how about Crimson Skies? Cmon Micosoft bring some of your old IP back for the fans.

I really think MS has ruined their excitement for E3 with the ‘no exclusives’ talk of late.

Why not just go the whole hog and get Fable 4 up and running on the 360 at Sub-HD resolution just to be ‘extra’ inclusive.

It’s so dumb...

Simple fact is - MS and their studios are not ready for next gen yet so I don’t know what people are expecting at E3.

*And, yes - I know that Halo will be 4K 60fps with raytracing but it’s AI and maps will be anchored to the original Xbone 😂

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Apart from it being safe to assume that they will have their own event, especially since they start a celebration event in 2 days til feb 16th iirc, they have press conferences at other events.

E3 isn't the only place for a press conference.

Can you list the events Sony attended in 2019 where a press conference was held?

There wasn’t one at TGS right? So where was one held last year?

Psykodad

Banned
Can you list the events Sony attended in 2019 where a press conference was held?

There wasn’t one at TGS right? So where was one held last year?

Last year they barely did anything, but they also barely had anything to show.

They could potentially do a press conference at GDC though.
As well as their own reveal event, like they did with PS4.

No idea why people suddenly act like a non-E3 press conference is out of the realm of possibility

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Technically yes but being there alone without mind blowing material won't do anything

Like last year? :pie_thinking:

I still think they will improve this year, they kinda have to with a new gen and "wait till next year" for the past few years.

Top Bottom