• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox consoles are getting xCloud this holiday so you can stream before you download

pasterpl

Microsoft its bringing its Xbox Cloud Gaming (xCloud) service to Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X consoles this holiday. The integration of xCloud will let Xbox owners simply click play on an Xbox Game Pass game and stream it immediately, allowing players to try games before they commit to the often hourslong process of downloading big titles.

More than 100 Xbox Game Pass titles will be available as part of this initial xCloud integration, and Xbox players will be able to try games as they wait for them to download fully. This xCloud integration also lets Xbox players jump into multiplayer games as soon as friends send an invite, avoiding having to wait for the install to complete.

Play___Minecraft_Dungeons.png

xcloud integration in the Xbox dashboard. Image: Microsoft
Xbox_Game_Pass___Minecraft_Dungeons.png

A cloud logo will appear on games that can be streamed. Image: Microsoft

Microsoft will update its Xbox dashboard on Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X consoles to include a cloud icon, to show which games can be instantly streamed. Much like the rest of Xbox Cloud Gaming, the streams will support up to 1080p and 60fps so it won’t be a replacement for those with 4K TVs just yet. Microsoft is very much marketing this as a try before you download service.

As this is also arriving on Xbox One, it does mean that Xbox Series S / X exclusive games like Microsoft Flight Simulator and The Medium will also be available on older Xbox One consoles soon. Microsoft isn’t committing to a date for Microsoft Flight Simulator on xCloud just yet, saying it’s “coming in the future.”

This new xCloud integration will be available for Xbox Insiders this fall ahead of the broader release, and Microsoft plans to announce testing details soon.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Microsoft its bringing its Xbox Cloud Gaming (xCloud) service to Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X consoles this holiday. The integration of xCloud will let Xbox owners simply click play on an Xbox Game Pass game and stream it immediately, allowing players to try games before they commit to the often hourslong process of downloading big titles.

More than 100 Xbox Game Pass titles will be available as part of this initial xCloud integration, and Xbox players will be able to try games as they wait for them to download fully. This xCloud integration also lets Xbox players jump into multiplayer games as soon as friends send an invite, avoiding having to wait for the install to complete.

Play___Minecraft_Dungeons.png

xcloud integration in the Xbox dashboard. Image: Microsoft
Xbox_Game_Pass___Minecraft_Dungeons.png

A cloud logo will appear on games that can be streamed. Image: Microsoft

Microsoft will update its Xbox dashboard on Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X consoles to include a cloud icon, to show which games can be instantly streamed. Much like the rest of Xbox Cloud Gaming, the streams will support up to 1080p and 60fps so it won’t be a replacement for those with 4K TVs just yet. Microsoft is very much marketing this as a try before you download service.

As this is also arriving on Xbox One, it does mean that Xbox Series S / X exclusive games like Microsoft Flight Simulator and The Medium will also be available on older Xbox One consoles soon. Microsoft isn’t committing to a date for Microsoft Flight Simulator on xCloud just yet, saying it’s “coming in the future.”

This new xCloud integration will be available for Xbox Insiders this fall ahead of the broader release, and Microsoft plans to announce testing details soon.

I may be a moron but this ALMOST sounds to me like I HAVE to have game pass to be able to have all the features of the Series X... And for someone who is dead set opposed to sub services, I guess I miss out on this feature.

Allandor

Also tried it (on my series X). Played a game while I installed it.
The experience was, well ok. It really depends on the game.
From time to time I play some gamepass titles on the PC via cloud gaming while watching Videos. It is also ok if the lag does not influence the game to much. Now that they integrated inhouse-streaming for the series X I more often use that, because quality is most times better. But on the other hand, it is somehow surprising how bad the connection is, even though I have a cabled gigabit network here. The signal only passes 2 switches but still, the connection can be really bad. I really don't know why. Sometimes I think the signal first goes to a server and than back to my pc. Even cloud streaming can be better at times.

Quasicat

I may be a moron but this ALMOST sounds to me like I HAVE to have game pass to be able to have all the features of the Series X... And for someone who is dead set opposed to sub services, I guess I miss out on this feature.
The Series X works fine without GamePass. I was staunchly against monthly subscriptions when I first got the X last year. Then I got the Gold upgrade giving me 3 years of Ultimate for like $100 (since I had some reward points I used). I’m not sure if I will keep it around after it lapses, but if I did stop using it, I can still play certain free to play games, have cloud storage, use remote play, and keep my 360 games I downloaded through the Gold service.
The Series X still has tons of features if you don’t use Game Pass.

sainraja

This is going to be a great feature and depending on how its implemented could be a game changer. They shouldn't tie it to Game Pass though. You should be able to try any game being sold on Xbox via the cloud to give it a quick try (if it has to be tied to Game Pass, they could limit the time for those not subscribed.)

Why are you concerned about a feature that lets you sample a GamePass game before installing it if you're not interested in GamePass?
Why does his opinion on it bother you?
The feature can be even better by letting you try out games outside of Game Pass.

Last edited:
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize game pass games were ONLY on game pass...

No, but Cloud Gaming is a Game Pass only feature. You couldn't access it any other way without Game Pass Ultimate, and now this change extends cloud gaming to all Game Pass subscribers on Xbox consoles. I suspect cloud gaming on Windows PCs, Smartphones and Tablets is still restricted to Game Pass Ultimate.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think you are wrong at all. Much of the appeal for Xbox hinges on Game Pass. Personally, I probably would not own XSX if it were not for Game Pass and the features it brings, some of which are on PC but not as tightly integrated with other features such as Microsoft Rewards. So if a sub isn't worth it for you then I can definitely see how that could adjust your perception of Xbox overall. Nothing wrong with that.

Topher

Gold Member
This is going to be a great feature and depending on how its implemented could be a game changer. They shouldn't tie it to Game Pass though. You should be able to try any game being sold on Xbox via the cloud to give it a quick try (if it has to be tied to Game Pass, they could limit the time for those not subscribed.)

The feature can be even better by letting you try out games outside of Game Pass.

That's a good point. Would serve as a trial for the game and for xCloud at the same time. Might bring in some more GPU subscriptions with that.

It's really nice for doing the Game Pass Quests

Are you talking about the Rewards quests? I didn't think about that. Yeah, this will be a cool way of getting those points without having to install the games.

Pantz

Gold Member
Are you talking about the Rewards quests? I didn't think about that. Yeah, this will be a cool way of getting those points without having to install the games.
Yeah, especially the ones where you just need to "play game"/ launch game to complete quest. Could already do it on phone but I don't have quite good enough of a wifi setup, so it's much easier for me on console with wired internet.

DaGwaphics

Might be expensive to setup for every game. But it might be a good idea to allow certain games on X1 to be purchased and played on the cloud without GP, like The Medium and FS. Then when you got a series console you could download or continue with the cloud. Similar to what Nintendo is doing with some titles.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I’m planning on using this to test out X/S native titles, as I had to find ~100 gb to play Forza Horizon 5…and I’m not planning to get rid of that anytime soon.

A.Romero

I'm still having a difficult time thinking about a downside to cloud gaming. It's an additional option that generates extra income therefore making game development a better business and incentivizing investment in making more games. Reaching a wider audience is best for everyone. People that truly like this hobby should be happy.

It's optional and it won't replace traditional gaming or at least not until it is an actual good replacement and not enough people are willing to pay for gaming but seriously, there is people playing for vinyl records still despite the majority of us moving to music streaming and other delivery methods. There are still blurays (which are superior) for people that care for that stuff (like myself).

It's an option. If you don't like it, don't jump in.

I've had a good experience with XCloud and it has allowed me to play some games while my PC is out of service on account of a blown GPU and unreasonable prices. While I love my PS4, I'm not willing to pay full price for newer releases knowing that remasters are around the corner for PS5 (luckily I'm getting a PS5 this Friday).

Win for everybody.

reksveks

That's a good point. Would serve as a trial for the game and for xCloud at the same time. Might bring in some more GPU subscriptions with that.

As well as the ability to stream games that you own, I do want the demo streaming as well. Whether the first should be behind the subscription, I don't know but given geforce now, I can see them keeping it behind GPU. The latter shouldnt be.

MacReady13

No, but Cloud Gaming is a Game Pass only feature. You couldn't access it any other way without Game Pass Ultimate, and now this change extends cloud gaming to all Game Pass subscribers on Xbox consoles. I suspect cloud gaming on Windows PCs, Smartphones and Tablets is still restricted to Game Pass Ultimate.
Bingo! Cloud is ONLY for game pass so, in order to access this feature, one needs to be a subscriber to this subscription service or else one cannot use cloud gaming. Fine by me, I just purchase my games like I used to with every other console I’ve owned.

Rykan

While that would be nice, I dont think that will happen.

It basically becomes a Demo at that point and Publishers seem to be very much against the concept of demos nowadays. I think its more likely that it will be expanded to games that youve already purchased so you can start playing while it downloads or perhaps download it after you stop playing.

ANIMAL1975

Bingo! Cloud is ONLY for game pass so, in order to access this feature, one needs to be a subscriber to this subscription service or else one cannot use cloud gaming. Fine by me, I just purchase my games like I used to with every other console I’ve owned.
Like in every other platform, if you want to play in cloud streaming you have to have a cloud subscription. I understand that you are talking about the demo feature only (the ability to play the game before downloading it), but ultimately you are trying the all game not just a limited demo _ that would have to be a all different thing. Xcloud is only starting to roll, maybe that's something that can be done later, streaming features in ps4 was also PSNow only back in 2014, it took some time to things like share play come out (and even that is in the pay wall lol, it's tide up to ps plus).

MonarchJT

Banned
honestly talking can you imagine if all the subscribers and not would be allowed to try for lets say 5 mins everygame ? probably azure would start to suffer ..imagine PC downloading the Xbox app and start running games one after the other ... and so would all console users. An unsustainable and uncontrollable situation. This is a Premium (paid) sub-service for users who are already placed in gamepass growth projections and who are not supposed to cause unexpected swings in azure activity.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Is this out to non insiders yet?
No, still insiders only.

I hooked up my launch Xbox One to give it a go since it’s the only one of my Xbox’s in the insider program, and goddamn is it amazing. I don’t have MCC installed on my Series X but I wanted to get some season points to get some cool customisation options in the game, so I just played online MP on MCC via xcloud and it’s just unbelievable. There’s a hint of input lag but it’s 100% playable and you aren’t a sitting duck. I didn’t feel like I was at a disadvantage at all. Sometimes the graphics dropped down and had a few weird moments with glitches but the gameplay just kept playing throughout without hitch. Just amazing.

If they can get a $50 streaming box with a nice refreshed UI that is just Cloud Streaming games with the ability to pin individual ones etc Xbox could go into the stratosphere.

MrFunSocks

Banned
As well as the ability to stream games that you own, I do want the demo streaming as well. Whether the first should be behind the subscription, I don't know but given geforce now, I can see them keeping it behind GPU. The latter shouldnt be.
Publishers and developers don’t like demos. Studies have shown that they harm sales more than they help them. They’re not coming back, especially through something as expensive to run as xcloud.

ANIMAL1975

Talking about

Which is a different feature to the one that I think you are referring to with Share Play,
Ah ok, though that you were talking about share play that is also advertised as a game help feature by Sony, i don't have a PS5 yet and didn't remember about that one. But yes, most of the features related to cloud streaming are behind the psplus pay wall unfortunately.

reksveks

Publishers and developers don’t like demos. Studies have shown that they harm sales more than they help them. They’re not coming back, especially through something as expensive to run as xcloud.
For major publishers and devs, I can see that but wondering about the indies that appear during in the E3 demo library like Tunic.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I wonder if the Xbone and the xsx will have a difference in lag.
Haven't noticed a difference in lag while playing on my phone, tablet, or launch XB1 so I don't think it will. It's just streaming video.

It is, it's part of the GamePass app.
On PC it's just part of the Xbox App, there's no Game Pass app. Not that that changes anything.

For major publishers and devs, I can see that but wondering about the indies that appear during in the E3 demo library like Tunic.
Works the same way with indies. People that were going to buy the game are more likely to not buy it after playing a demo than people that weren't going to buy it change their minds and do buy it.

Last edited:

MacReady13

honestly talking can you imagine if all the subscribers and not would be allowed to try for lets say 5 mins everygame ? probably azure would start to suffer ..imagine PC downloading the Xbox app and start running games one after the other ... and so would all console users. An unsustainable and uncontrollable situation. This is a Premium (paid) sub-service for users who are already placed in gamepass growth projections and who are not supposed to cause unexpected swings in azure activity.
So basically what you are saying is, even though I paid $750 for their console and purchased MANY games to be a part of the Xbox family I'm not REALLY a part of their family if I don't have Game Pass? I don't get all of their special features if I don't subscribe to their subscription service... Nice job Microsoft.

DaGwaphics

So basically what you are saying is, even though I paid $750 for their console and purchased MANY games to be a part of the Xbox family I'm not REALLY a part of their family if I don't have Game Pass? I don't get all of their special features if I don't subscribe to their subscription service... Nice job Microsoft.

What features is it that you don't get? Access to GP on Xcloud (or cloud gaming or whatever the name is now)?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If xcloud works well all the better for gamers. Gives options.

I wonder how bad/laggy playing a streamed game is for competitive shooters.

MacReady13

What features is it that you don't get? Access to GP on Xcloud (or cloud gaming or whatever the name is now)?
I don't know much more clearer I can make this- this thread is about CLOUD GAMING on Xbox. You can ONLY get cloud gaming on Xbox IF you are subscribed to Game Pass. Why do you NEED to be subscribed to a sub service to get a feature that ALL Xbox owners (especially loyal owners like me who have been on board since the OG Xbox) should be entitled to? I don't want to be in a sub service in gaming to get a feature like cloud gaming. Why can't we all get it WITHOUT the need to be in a sub service? Clearly Microsoft only want to push their game pass service ahead of the people who own their consoles but DON'T have game pass...

DaGwaphics

I don't know much more clearer I can make this- this thread is about CLOUD GAMING on Xbox. You can ONLY get cloud gaming on Xbox IF you are subscribed to Game Pass. Why do you NEED to be subscribed to a sub service to get a feature that ALL Xbox owners (especially loyal owners like me who have been on board since the OG Xbox) should be entitled to? I don't want to be in a sub service in gaming to get a feature like cloud gaming. Why can't we all get it WITHOUT the need to be in a sub service? Clearly Microsoft only want to push their game pass service ahead of the people who own their consoles but DON'T have game pass...
The only games available on cloud gaming at this point are a selection of GP games. Cloud gaming is just a side perk of GPU at this point. 🤷‍♂️

If they ever move to allow adding your own purchases to Xcloud, which could really make a streaming box a real part of the ecosystem, I can see them making an Xcloud only plan that gives you access to games you own within your account. But that time is not now and may never come.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
if i buy the PS5 i dont expect to get free games that you get by paying ps + and I definitely don't think I will be able to use psnow streaming. I don't know why you're thinking that Ms have to give you additional services just because you bought the console. Almost everyone complains about how "cheap" gamepass is... you are the first one who wants it practically for free hahaha

Last edited:
Top Bottom