• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox consoles are getting xCloud this holiday so you can stream before you download

Lognor

Banned
I typically am one to either preload a game or download it and come back once it's installed, but doesn't the XSX allow you to play most games once a certain amount of the data has been downloaded? So realistically with the cloud gaming you might be saving 10 minutes versus waiting for the game to download enough of the game to start. Is that an accurate statement?

Hugare

Sorry for bumping a thread from days ago, but I had to say: Xcloud made me a believer

I was skeptical 'cause I'm an old guy who remembers Onlive and how it used to be.

Signed GP Ultimate because I was going insane wanting to play Forza, and wow. Its pretty darmn good.

It requires a really good connection, of course, but graphics are impressive, and the latency is really great. Doesnt match the console experience, but comes really close.

Video bitrate could be better tho. Its noticeable especially in a racing game.

But if you dont have a capable PC, this is a revelation. Unfortunately, there arent many Cloud games yet, but its very promissing.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I may be a moron but this ALMOST sounds to me like I HAVE to have game pass to be able to have all the features of the Series X... And for someone who is dead set opposed to sub services, I guess I miss out on this feature.

You really need to be told that paying $499 for the console hardware doesn’t give you unlimited access to spin up Series X cloud blades? 😂

MacReady13

You really need to be told that paying $499 for the console hardware doesn’t give you unlimited access to spin up Series X cloud blades? 😂
No, I don't. What I don't like is a feature locked away from MOST of us who paid big money for a console, all because Microsoft want us ALL to subscribe to their fucking subscription service. I am happy just playing and purchasing the games I want, when I want without the need for a constant subscription. The fact I NEED this service for this extra feature is bullshit so I won't be using it! Simple!

Banjo64

cumsessed
I typically am one to either preload a game or download it and come back once it's installed, but doesn't the XSX allow you to play most games once a certain amount of the data has been downloaded? So realistically with the cloud gaming you might be saving 10 minutes versus waiting for the game to download enough of the game to start. Is that an accurate statement?
Correct, if you have good enough broadband to stream you can probably download the actual game relatively quickly.

Where this will be useful for me will be when someone wants to play a game with me that I wouldn’t usually play (Aragami 2 etc), I can just stream for half an hour instead of worrying about system memory.

Also for weekly Rewards challenges where you need to do something in a game or for games with daily log in bonuses that you aren’t currently playing.

Lognor

Banned
Correct, if you have good enough broadband to stream you can probably download the actual game relatively quickly.

Where this will be useful for me will be when someone wants to play a game with me that I wouldn’t usually play (Aragami 2 etc), I can just stream for half an hour instead of worrying about system memory.

Also for weekly Rewards challenges where you need to do something in a game or for games with daily log in bonuses that you aren’t currently playing.
Good points, especially the second one. I'm sure I'll be making use of this

I don't know much more clearer I can make this- this thread is about CLOUD GAMING on Xbox. You can ONLY get cloud gaming on Xbox IF you are subscribed to Game Pass. Why do you NEED to be subscribed to a sub service to get a feature that ALL Xbox owners (especially loyal owners like me who have been on board since the OG Xbox) should be entitled to? I don't want to be in a sub service in gaming to get a feature like cloud gaming. Why can't we all get it WITHOUT the need to be in a sub service? Clearly Microsoft only want to push their game pass service ahead of the people who own their consoles but DON'T have game pass...
Dont worry, xcloud will probably be its own subscription service also, so you can safetly ignore it for ever.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
No, I don't. What I don't like is a feature locked away from MOST of us who paid big money for a console, all because Microsoft want us ALL to subscribe to their fucking subscription service. I am happy just playing and purchasing the games I want, when I want without the need for a constant subscription. The fact I NEED this service for this extra feature is bullshit so I won't be using it! Simple!
Then what is the issue? You can continue to keep on doing that.

Ozriel

M$FT

It’s not a Series X feature. It’s an xbox ecosystem service. A service you haven’t paid for isn’t ‘Locked away’. It’s not magic. You’re spinning up series x blades in the cloud. The $499 you paid only covers your home console.

Please don’t use it. hope this helps 😂

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I like so many of the technical things MS is getting done. This one makes a lot of sense to me.

And to people complaining you need to sub to GP to get GP features ... get out of here with that baloney! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean come on.

Schmick

First of all xCloud is still in beta.

Second of all Phil has said that there are plans to introduce xCloud to purchased games.

And thirdly why do you think that purchasing the console entitles you to a subscription service? Crazy. You really ought to read the small print before making purchases otherwise you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. You are not entitled to use xCloud right now because you are not a subscriber. xCloud is not a service that provides demos instead you are given access to a library of complete games. That is not going to be free.

Billbofet

I played Infinite on my Xbox one with cloud gaming. It was 60 fps and smooth as butter. Like magic with the series s/x enhancements. This would be a use case to buy the sub and not the hardware I guess.

Another factor is that for every sale of a Series console, likely an old X1 just found its way into the hands of someone who now has a compelling reason to pick up a sub. I gave my X1X to my uncle when I got my Series X, he's over the moon with the fact that he doesn't have to drop $500 on a new console for my cousins.

Shtef

It showed up on my xbox but when i click to play i am greeted with message saying my region is not supported. That sucks.

wolffy71

Banned
I just tried this out with a few games on my xbox. Wow what a great feature. I have a good wired connection and damn it is smooth. i cant even really tell its streaming.

And about needing game pass to stream games available on gamepass... like what? You want to stream games from gp without buying the game or paying for gamepass? I must have misunderstood.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Tried it out today and it works great, i could quite easily play and enjoy a game this way. I did not notice any latency.

This is going to be a viable option for kids, hotels and the bedroom.

Its going to be crazy being able to play gen9 games on a gen 8 console.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I don't know much more clearer I can make this- this thread is about CLOUD GAMING on Xbox. You can ONLY get cloud gaming on Xbox IF you are subscribed to Game Pass. Why do you NEED to be subscribed to a sub service to get a feature that ALL Xbox owners (especially loyal owners like me who have been on board since the OG Xbox) should be entitled to? I don't want to be in a sub service in gaming to get a feature like cloud gaming. Why can't we all get it WITHOUT the need to be in a sub service? Clearly Microsoft only want to push their game pass service ahead of the people who own their consoles but DON'T have game pass...

Because running server farms is expensive and you only make them large enough to support the projected number of users. Opening this service up to everyone with a console would cause a large spike in usage without any corresponding increase in revenue. I'm not a great fan of subscription services personally, but what you seem to be asking for here reeks of extreme entitlement.

Top Bottom