• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox consoles will soon be "carbon aware"

Quasicat

“Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you”

“Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans”

“Although there are people suffering in poverty
Huge donations are made to protect endangered species”

“The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems”

👀

This reminds me…MGS 2 is playable on the Xbox through Backwards Compatibility. I need to get on this!

Dis

This has literally nothing to do with my Xbox using less power now.

Ya'll get triggered over everything nowadays. No, your Xbox being more efficient isn't "PC" or "woke". I promise you'll be okay.
lmao i cant imagine being this sensative thats fucking wild

it doesnt affect you other than saving you some coin on your power bill by running updates and what not when energy costs are their cheapest

The phrashing “Carbon Aware” tells me everything i need to know

On one hand,
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

On the other hand, I don't care when my Xbox downloads an update when I'm at work.

yurinka

When will my Xbox become "good exclusive" aware?
To reduce the amount of "good exclusives" reduces the carbon footprint of the game and update downloads. Thanks Phil for being that consumer friendly and carbon aware! :messenger_beaming:

Joking and PR bullshit aside, it's a cool update.
Yeah i’m done.

Carbon aware banking
Carbon aware console!?
Carbon credits incoming!

You cant eat hamburger cause you played too many video games! Video games restricted to only weekends for you!

The western PC social credit score
Fuck this

541px-NFS_Carbon.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What would be your priority at Xbox right now? Cookies and power savings or getting games out
Are the same teams working on all those things?

Or is it different people in different departments (or even whole other conpanies) looking after those?

Like if Nabisco wasn't making Oreos, Starfield would come out sooner?

Does the factory know how to code or something?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Cool.

We have Playstations battling cancer....
Xbox's planting trees....
Nintendo, where u at?

well, remember when Iwata would mention how little power the Wii used in interviews, something about less than a lightbulb a day and something along the lines of it would make mum happy. It was almost getting tiresome how often he repeated this.

I distinctly remember people here on Neogaf laughing at him saying why in the flying fuck would anyone give a shit about power consumption....which is true, I mean whether it uses one light bulb's worth or 7, it only makes a few dollars difference*

*in 2006 terms.

wipeout364

What does carbon aware even mean? Just call it adding a feature to energy saver mode instead of trying to get headlines with a stupid meaningless phrase.

FeralEcho

Yes.... your xbox using less power while you are not using it is "out of control" 😒

Edit: wait, I misread your comment. "increase the mods around here"? What are you even talking about?
Xbox using less power while you're not using it? Have You tried...unplugging it while you aint using it? It's even better at saving energy
DoL0E6t.gif

Maybe they should focus on the lousy 1st party released schedule instead.

That MGS2 codec scene rings truer TODAY than it's ever did. Humanity still focusing on small things that sound good on paper so corporations can look like the good guys while the whole world burns around them.Here's a hint,If you trully wanted to save the planet you'd unplug all your crap when you left the house instead of waiting for "features" like these and praise corporations for enabling your own laziness and you would have done it years ago.

Last edited:

Thabass

“Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you”

“Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans”

“Although there are people suffering in poverty
Huge donations are made to protect endangered species”

“The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems”

👀

MGS2 will be forever relevant.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Didn’t people laughed at ps5 boxes being all paper like the one you keep eggs in?
Is Xbox box still full of plastic foam?

Anyway. They got our brains washed with This idiotic personal footprint. There is no such thing. It’s something that rich people and huge fuel corporations came up with to blame others and not themselves.
Me. Sitting in my tiny flat, playing 200watt console - death to the planet. We segregate trash, pay way more for it and I can’t even drink a fucking shake from McDonald with normal straw

Kagey K

Banned
Me. Sitting in my tiny flat, playing 200watt console - death to the planet. We segregate trash, pay way more for it and I can’t even drink a fucking shake from McDonald with normal straw
This is the crux of it, no matter what you or I do, we can't do shit.

When Kanye and Kalid are flying planes to meet each other to exchange shoes, how can we offset this?

We are expected to sacrifice the most, when we pollute as small percentage overall.

It's obviously plastic straws and bags that are the problem Meanwhile if I buy a salad from the store there's 20 layers of plastic to open before its all mixed and I can eat it.

Fucking clown world.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Nah, playing the game makes the console less carbon aware so less games = less playtime = less carbon created

Pretty ingienious
Except that it has to always be on to get those meaty updates for the games they already released and keep adding on to.

If they truly cared about the environment they would just release them and let them die after a month or two.

Probably best if they shut down the muliplayer servers less than a year after release, just for the carbon.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Nah, playing the game makes the console less carbon aware so less games = less playtime = less carbon created

Pretty ingienious
You even aware how much pollution there is to print those disc's and ship them to all the stores?

The paper, and plastic alone for one game is stupid high. Never mind moving disc's around the planet.

But people ppl me complain about server loads instead.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Didn’t people laughed at ps5 boxes being all paper like the one you keep eggs in?
Is Xbox box still full of plastic foam?

Anyway. They got our brains washed with This idiotic personal footprint. There is no such thing. It’s something that rich people and huge fuel corporations came up with to blame others and not themselves.
A valid point but one was clearly Sony being cheapo miserly cunts rather than caring about the environment, otherwise the machine itself and its packaging wouldn’t be the size of a shed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Carbon aware, 2023 year of xbox getting back to releasing great exclusive first party games.....

...why not both...

Goat year for xbox coming up. I feel it in my plums.

Three

This has literally nothing to do with my Xbox using less power now.

Ya'll get triggered over everything nowadays. No, your Xbox being more efficient isn't "PC" or "woke". I promise you'll be okay.
Your xbox doesn't use less power now. It changes default settings and turns on when it thinks more power is coming from renewable energy. It uses the same power.

reksveks

Your xbox doesn't use less power now. It changes default settings and turns on when it thinks more power is coming from renewable energy. It uses the same power.
There is a couple of features here, one that would argue that it could be argued that means it uses less power in most scenarios
- carbon aware downloads: same power but just using grid data to limit it to when there is an 'abundance' of green energy. I think it's a lot more speculative of an improvement and not that interesting.
- active hours: smarter controlling of the energy modes which doesn't impact the power usage at a single point of time but over a day, it should be driving power usage down. At this point, we are probably just defining the time period that we are looking at.

Three

There is a couple of features here, one that would argue that it could be argued that means it uses less power in most scenarios
- carbon aware downloads: same power but just using grid data to limit it to when there is an 'abundance' of green energy. I think it's a lot more speculative of an improvement and not that interesting.
- active hours: smarter controlling of the energy modes which doesn't impact the power usage at a single point of time but over a day, it should be driving power usage down. At this point, we are probably just defining the time period that we are looking at.
That's true, fair enough. Both of them rely on the same thing. Disabling sleep features and going into shutdown and enabling them only at specific times with the RTC. On one you choose the active hours, on the other it chooses when.

It's a way of getting around the xbox's inefficient sleep mode which ultimately still uses the same amount of power. You're right though, this will lower usage for those who kept it on sleep throughout the day and didn't use the scheduled update check already.

Corndog

Banned
The people working on improving Xbox console firmware/system software are not the same people making games.
Yes. We know. But it seems strange to do a pr thing for your consoles power usage. More power is being saved by not getting your first party games out then this update.

Edit: it’s kind of like the military bragging about how fuel efficient its new tank is while at the same time having no tracks on to even move it.

Last edited:

@gkTH

This basically means that the Xbox doesn't aware of the Game.
That's OK, we should love the environment more than the fun. <3

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Xbox using less power while you're not using it? Have You tried...unplugging it while you aint using it? It's even better at saving energy
DoL0E6t.gif

Maybe they should focus on the lousy 1st party released schedule instead.

That MGS2 codec scene rings truer TODAY than it's ever did. Humanity still focusing on small things that sound good on paper so corporations can look like the good guys while the whole world burns around them.Here's a hint,If you trully wanted to save the planet you'd unplug all your crap when you left the house instead of waiting for "features" like these and praise corporations for enabling your own laziness and you would have done it years ago.
Sure, but if you plan on leaving it on standby mode for remote play like I do, this will lower energy usage. How can this be a negative?

You seem really bothered by this small quality of life improvement. Maybe you should " unplug all your crap" and take a break from the internet.

Top Bottom