• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox controllers are still using AA batteries ‘because of long-term Duracell deal’, spokesperson claims

longdi

Banned
No surprises here.
MS have had to fight against FUD. Probably the worst hit among other consumer facing corps.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I used to think Xbox controllers felt cheap because of the battery compartment and AA batteries.

After getting the Elite Series 2 controller and PS5 for that matter, I noticed that they are virtually sealed. There's no easy way to access the battery at all now. So in 10 years, I guess I just have to toss my $200 controller since there's basically no easy way to open the controller?

Now, I think the battery compartment is a great idea and the controller should just come with a removable lithium battery. I ultimately went with the Xbox Series X controller and a Play N Charge Kit battery. You basically get the best of both worlds and once the lithium battery starts wearing down, you simply swap it out for another.

Kagey K

Banned
So its gonna be like this for a while yet

Ah well, if ya domt like the AA solution just get the rechargeable pack
That’s seems to hard for some, internal 24 hour battery pack or bust, seems to be the highlight of the day.

It’s apparently much too hard to change your batteries on your controller.

thelastword

Banned
Whatever it is, having to flip AA batteries in a controller is way past it's time. Controllers are not remotes which can go for a year + on the same battery. The convenience of charging your controller quickly via USB or not constantly opening a battery compartment is miles better...

I never saw the logic behind AA's in a controller past the year 2005, but if MS is tailored in a deal to push AA batteries for a company, then they need to think about convenience for their customers and give options at least, and let those who prefer go that way. It would be interesting all those saying changing AA's is a godsend and it would be interesting if they would continue down that path if MS gives an option for internal batteried controllers...

anothertech

I used to think Xbox controllers felt cheap because of the battery compartment and AA batteries.

After getting the Elite Series 2 controller and PS5 for that matter, I noticed that they are virtually sealed. There's no easy way to access the battery at all now. So in 10 years, I guess I just have to toss my $200 controller since there's basically no easy way to open the controller?

Now, I think the battery compartment is a great idea and the controller should just come with a removable lithium battery. I ultimately went with the Xbox Series X controller and a Play N Charge Kit battery. You basically get the best of both worlds and once the lithium battery starts wearing down, you simply swap it out for another.
In 10 years you already bought the next greatest elite4 controller, or you watch a youtube video for 5 minutes and learn how to swap it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Whatever it is, having to flip AA batteries in a controller is way past it's time. Controllers are not remotes which can go for a year + on the same battery. The convenience of charging your controller quickly via USB or not constantly opening a battery compartment is miles better...

I never saw the logic behind AA's in a controller past the year 2005, but if MS is tailored in a deal to push AA batteries for a company, then they need to think about convenience for their customers and give options at least, and let those who prefer go that way. It would be interesting all those saying changing AA's is a godsend and it would be interesting if they would continue down that path if MS gives an option for internal batteried controllers...
I would still get the controller with options, yeah the plug and play charge pack costs extra but battery’s do degrade over time. Better than having to buy another controller

devilNprada

I have to buy two battery packs and a controller everytime.

I had no idea there were "gamers" out in the real world that did not have two controllers per console, to be honest.

I think this argument really boils down to being a cheapass

Topher

Gold Member
Why doesn't Microsoft offer another Xbox controller model that has a built-in battery? Seems to me a more cost-effective option than having to buy battery packs or rechargeables. They could match DualSense's price tag with that option. They have two different variety of consoles on the market. Why not two different controllers? More options.

Top Bottom