• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox cross platform play coming to Fortnite.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hey Fortnite Community,

We’re happy to announce today that in partnership with our friends at Microsoft, Fortnite will feature cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-purchase, between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS and (in the next few months) Android.
Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles. We’ve been working together with them over the last several months to make this possible, and will bring this functionality to Fortnite players on Xbox right along with other platforms.

With each new platform we support and every update we ship, we strive to bring Fortnite to more people, and make it easier to play together with friends. And, as always, cross-play is opt in.
As we shared a few days ago, starting Monday you can sign-up for the Fortnite Invite Event on iOS. On phones and tablets, Fortnite is the same 100-player game you know from Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac. Same gameplay, same map, same content, same weekly updates.
See you on the Battle Bus,
Fortnite Team

Taken From:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/xbox-cross-platform-fortnite

Last edited:
I’m not interested in playing on mobile. But even if I did, having to play against console or PC players would kill that interest for me.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
"Contrary to what may have been implied"

They should have stated it correctly in the first place.

I may be totally wrong on this and someone please correct me if I am.

I seem to remember Xbox blocking Sonys request for cross plat play between the PS3 and 360, you know back when the 360 was killing the PS3.

Codes 208

I may be totally wrong on this and someone please correct me if I am.

I seem to remember Xbox blocking Sonys request for cross plat play between the PS3 and 360, you know back when the 360 was killing the PS3.
Back then MS wanted the 360 to be a walled garden. From steam and ps3 despite being second best themselves (when ff14 came out the wii was still in first i believe) and looks like it became clear that in the end game this was a stupid decision. Since this gen theyve opened up to cross-plat, removed the paywall for online apps like netflix and added cross-buy between xbox and w10.

Now sony is doing it more or less out of spite. Whether its fortnite, minecraft, or allowing EA access on ps4.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
So crossplay is coming to the X1 version. Still don't know why they didn't say it in the first place. Weird.

Grinchy

Banned
So I guess they're doing the Rocket League thing - everyone can play together but there's an arbitrary boundary not allowing playstation and xbox users from ever being paired up.

JaffeLion

Banned
So I guess they're doing the Rocket League thing - everyone can play together but there's an arbitrary boundary not allowing playstation and xbox users from ever being paired up.

wait, can PS4 players play with Switch users? Or with fortnite can PS4 players play with mobile users?

On Xbox its XBOX+PC+Mobile. For Rocket League and Minecraft its XBOX+PC+SWITCH.

Isnt it for PS4 only PS4+PC and thats it?

Grinchy

Banned
wait, can PS4 players play with Switch users? Or with fortnite can PS4 players play with mobile users?

On Xbox its XBOX+PC+Mobile. For Rocket League and Minecraft its XBOX+PC+SWITCH.

Isnt it for PS4 only PS4+PC and thats it?
Yeah, maybe on Rocket League Sony put the wall up against the Switch. I wasn't sure.

But with Fortnite, the first announcement was about PS4/PC/Mac/Mobile cross-platform and cross-progress. So yeah that one at least is that way. There is a thread about that one here.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I don’t get why I would want to play against PC players in a shooter. Cool to have options though.

Leonidas

Wonder what that "arbitrary boundary" is...

Epic and Microsoft both want XB1/PS4 cross-play for Fortnite.
vnigZF2.png

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

As much as I hate to say it but it may very well Sony feeling they don't need cross play with the user base they have.

Here is the article where Sony wanted cross play with PS3/360 days and Microsoft said no.

https://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont
To be fair back then PSN was a hot mess and free. they all charge now and PSN is much more safe/reliable now. I think they have a we are first F U view now. IMO

A mass optional player base would be cool.

JaffeLion

Banned

NickFire

I don’t get why I would want to play against PC players in a shooter. Cool to have options though.
I don't either. Although I cant stand playing with mouse and keyboard, my understanding is its more precise and faster to aim. Seems a really unfair advantage.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As much as I hate to say it but it may very well Sony feeling they don't need cross play with the user base they have.

Here is the article where Sony wanted cross play with PS3/360 days and Microsoft said no.

https://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

So because Microsoft was like this in the past, we should hold it against them forever in perpetuity and also give Sony a pass for the same thing?

That's not how it works.

Once cross play is out there, it's a genie that can't go back in the bottle. Even if Microsoft became the market leader, they can't just suddenly up and decide they don't want cross play anymore. Companies change. Sony once championed Backwards compatibility...now look at them. Yet now it's Microsoft who are the leaders in that space. You can only go on now and push for what's best for PLAYERS in the future.

NickFire

Even if Microsoft became the market leader, they can't just suddenly up and decide they don't want cross play anymore.

If MS successfully cannibalizes Steam's sales in the manner they are hoping for, I would bet they find all sorts of security issues right before the launch of their next console line that required them to disable it "temporarily" to protect their consumers and eco-system from PSN security holes.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If MS successfully cannibalizes Steam's sales in the manner they are hoping for, I would bet they find all sorts of security issues right before the launch of their next console line that required them to disable it "temporarily" to protect their consumers and eco-system from PSN security holes.

Gonna disagree with you here.

JaffeLion

Banned

dont be so paranoid. this is bullshit.

JCK75

Since it came out on Switch I gave it another go, gunplay has improved drastically and I don't find it as awful as I once did.. the building aspects still bother me and I feel like the solution to this is more realistic physics, building walls should take more time than it does, and if someone is camped on top of a tall tower I should be able to destroy the base of the structure to bring them tumbling to their death.

FranXico

Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles.

So, since 2015 is now "long"? "Get The Facts", kids!

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Back then MS wanted the 360 to be a walled garden. From steam and ps3 despite being second best themselves (when ff14 came out the wii was still in first i believe) and looks like it became clear that in the end game this was a stupid decision. Since this gen theyve opened up to cross-plat, removed the paywall for online apps like netflix and added cross-buy between xbox and w10.

Now sony is doing it more or less out of spite. Whether its fortnite, minecraft, or allowing EA access on ps4.

Personifying corporations is silly and pernicious. Corporations dont love, hate, spite, or feel; that is what makes them amoral. Look at it for what these things are: business decsions that seek to maximize profit and increase market. When you start having warm fuzizies (or cold fuzzies), you arent thinking clearly. None of these entities is your friend or cares about ‘the artform of gaming.’

If MS offers the most value for your dollar, choose them. Just dont start getting emotionally attached to a giant corporation if you want to maintain a rational perspective.

Last edited:

Three

So because Microsoft was like this in the past, we should hold it against them forever in perpetuity and also give Sony a pass for the same thing?

That's not how it works.

Once cross play is out there, it's a genie that can't go back in the bottle. Even if Microsoft became the market leader, they can't just suddenly up and decide they don't want cross play anymore. Companies change. Sony once championed Backwards compatibility...now look at them. Yet now it's Microsoft who are the leaders in that space. You can only go on now and push for what's best for PLAYERS in the future.

Why do you think that is? Because when your previous generation has a large install base you want people to migrate to your new console instead of a competitor. When you're leading in install base you want people to buy your console to play with their friends. It's simple really, it's not some altruistic act. Vendor lock in is a thing and it's sad how people pretend it's to protect xbox live or to protect children,

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Why do you think that is? Because when your previous generation has a large install base you want people to migrate to your new console instead of a competitor. When your leading in install base you want people to buy your console to play with their friends. It's simple really, it's not some altruistic act. Vendor lock in is a thing and it's sad how people pretend it's to protect xbox live or to protect children,

Vendor lock-in/walled garden combined with market domination is the holy grail. It gives the company rent(profit without effort or risk) and prevents competitors from emerginng. No one has it in console gaming right now.

Im super curious to see if the new management at Sony thinks thier position is secure enough to put the screws to their customers with the ps5 more than they are doing now. I think they are given those projections they were showing and the confidence the ps4 homerun has given them.

FranXico

Oh man oh jeez

this really changes my opinion on the state of crossplay in 2018 I’ll tell you what
I suspect nothing would change your opinion, based on your ill-informed reaction. But for your information, crossplay of console with PC has indeed existed for a long time.

Top Bottom