• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox downtime leaves some users unable to boot games (if they hadn't set their console to home/primary)

I Master l

Banned
I couldn't purchase games but online multiplayer was working fine even when there are a massage in the
settings saynig there are network problem

I Master l

Banned
Gamepass and xCloud games not working kind of make sense, but why did physical games stop working during the outage?
You get 30 days of offline play before having to connect again with Gamepass games
and forever for purchased games but Xbox must be set as the primary system ''which
means you cannot share games'' .. its the same for Playstaion if want to share the games

Last edited:
No downtime here in the u.s. on the east coast either. I think this sort of stuff only affects people sharing their xbox live/psn accounts. If you are the "home" console you can still play your digital games. Maybe that xbox family plan thing would solve this issue in the future.
Same here. Watched Disney+ last night and watching Netflix now. But it sucks for those it’s happening to

I also gameshare on my series x too 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
I've known about the home console setting ever since the days of the Xbox One.
It's a shame the Xbox One was such a dud system overall or else more people would know to do this.
I don't understand why it's not enabled by default. It's only an issue if you have multiple consoles. Guess Microsoft is thinking 'positive' that every household will have more than one xbox. (Even though Gamepass family sharing is still not a thing yet)

nikolino840

I play SP from time to time. I dont need an internet to play those games, when I am at home.

I had 3 days no xbox, simply because my xbox was not home console, and I had internet outage during those 3 days. Imagine, if people have no internet for 1 week, and not set as home console. You will end up with useless console.
So no steam also

spons

Gold Member
Nice for this to happen on a Saturday. Shit pays better for the support engineers fixing this.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
rocket league wouldn't work but Fortnite would and leg Star Wars. kinda bizarre

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
IMO, the whole internet connection required now has more to do with enticing gamers to buy mtx as opposed to preventing gamers playing pirated games or ensuring home sharing is legit between two users.

If companies cared that much about online connections they would had forced it on everyone during the 360/PS3 era where all systems have online functionality.

this has forced me to play my PS5 more. Which im now noticing my library on Playstation kinda sucks. No wonder i never play it. But this is because xbox is so much better in terms of BC, controller and enhancing games that I rarely buy anything on a Playstation console. So im mostly playing PS+ games

Last edited:
It works fine if you set the console as your home console, it's not hard to understand. And of iirc the console asks you about this at your first sign in. This is just people sharing there games with others. Which is fine, but accept the issues which can occur during an outage.

Cool story except that mine was set to home and had the same problems last night. So I guess the issue was harder to understand than you think.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
My console wasn't set to "Home Console" so I was down for hours yesterday. I didn't even know the option existed.

I think every quick set-up guide that comes with the Series X/S should have a section that’s specifically tells you to set it as your new Home Xbox; it would probably save some people a headache or two. Or maybe that’s already a thing and I’m forgetting.

Beechos

And yet there's plenty of people on this very forum who constantly champion the all digital future...
I still prefer an all digital future in the grand scheme of things. I prob spend more time looking for a disc or waiting for someone to return a borrowed game than ive spent waiting for a outage to clear.

Yup can confirmed

IqR3YCt.png

It’s disappointing. I don’t care about the DRM aspect but ffs just tie the licenses to your gamertag. If I own a game and I’m logged in that should be good enough.

kingfey

Banned
Xcloud Fortnite brought down xbox to its knees.
Too many people seemed to have crushed the network infrastructure.

I wonder, how many people played Fortnite, using xcloud?

Lognor

Banned
I always find the reaction of people when something that works for 99.9999% stops for a few hours amusing. I work in the cell phone industry and the blowback we receive when one out of 3 million text messages fails to send is very peculiar.
Yep. I wasn't able to play Xbox for a few hours yesterday. Was annoying but not a big deal. I went and finished disco elysium instead.

Bridges

Bruh AWS has a lot more frequent and worse outages than this lol.
AWS is absolutely atrocious

I currently am without access to my games but my account is not the primary. I am fine accepting the consequences for game sharing when this happens but it is a bummer. In times like this I can catch up on Switch games.

Last edited:
Console gaming at this point, are no different than cloud gaming.

Why should a console, which primary objective is to play games offline, need consistent internet to play your games?
Its 2022. this is unacceptable. No consoles should force us to treat our devices, like cloud gaming.
It's messed up, what happened to all of the people back in 2013 that railed against xbone and always online? Did they stop gaming? (wasn't me as wasn't going to buy on, but understood the feeling). I play games that are decades old. I'm 43, I still play nes and old dos games. Always online and servers for single player games, nah. Also no games as a service.

kingfey

Banned
It's messed up, what happened to all of the people back in 2013 that railed against xbone and always online? Did they stop gaming? (wasn't me as wasn't going to buy on, but understood the feeling). I play games that are decades old. I'm 43, I still play nes and old dos games. Always online and servers for single player games, nah. Also no games as a service.
These are big corporation.
People who complain about these, are in the minority. The rest, just dont care as long as they play their games.

We have people who spend alot of money on mtx games. They do it, because they dont care about others, or what mtx does to them. And these corporations knows that, which is why they dont take us gamers seriously.

They can drop free games, and we would forget this thing ever happened in the 1st place. That is how much our anger is worth it.

Mark my word. Once that xbox showcase gets dropped with cool gamepass games, people will forget about this fiasco.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Why should a console, which primary objective is to play games offline, need consistent internet to play your games?
Its 2022. this is unacceptable. No consoles should force us to treat our devices, like cloud gaming.

It doesn't as long as you aren't downloading games to a second machine (or a machine you don't have set as your home console), or if you buy disk based games.

It's basic digital DRM to stop people from just endlessly sharing games.

bender

What time is it?
Mine is and I was still locked out of the gamepass stuff I have installed. No big deal as it didn't last long but yeah.

The only reason I was bothered was I thought I was going to miss out on the AMEM reward. Don't rob me of my $0.05 Microsoft! lol

FUBARx89

I mean, this isn't new information really is it? PS has the same problem if ya console isn't set to the primary account.

I believe it also affected the Appoclyp3 back when the ps3 thought it was a leap year.

But I do agree, it's shite when it happens, but both platform holders won't do anything as they want to avoid a netflix sharing type of system.

MrMephistoX

Down for everyone and not just me Still apparently. As far as I know this is my home console unless one One X kept the title after I bought my SX?

Last edited:
The only reason I was bothered was I thought I was going to miss out on the AMEM reward. Don't rob me of my $0.05 Microsoft! lol
I'm new to all this not having had an xbox since the 360 and have no idea how rewards work. I see the popups saying I should claim shit and just ignore them.

bender

What time is it?
I'm new to all this not having had an xbox since the 360 and have no idea how rewards work. I see the popups saying I should claim shit and just ignore them.

Get the Rewards App on the console. There are daily/weekly/monthly rewards. Between it, Game Pass Quests and Bing searches/quizzes/activities, if you spend a few minutes a day you can earn enough points to easily pay for your Game Pass subscription.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I mean, this isn't new information really is it? PS has the same problem if ya console isn't set to the primary account.

I believe it also affected the Appoclyp3 back when the ps3 thought it was a leap year.

But I do agree, it's shite when it happens, but both platform holders won't do anything as they want to avoid a netflix sharing type of system.
Just another faux concern, misinformation thread. Xbox is killing it, so expect it to keep coming.

There are two whole other consoles that don't do this.

This isn't a "console gaming" thing. It's clearly an Xbox thing.

Top Bottom