• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13th at 9:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I need Halo 1 AAA then.

I'm already ahead of you ;)

bJf7Tab.jpg

It won't sell what it used to if it continues down its current path... So they have to do something differently than they currently are.

Halo doesn't sell a lot because only Halo fans play it now. Especially since its an exclusive franchise. Casual shooter fans will just play COD.

There's nothing Halo can do to get that massive Halo 3 audience anymore. That was a time when Halo was the only console shooter franchise worth playing.

wwm0nkey

That seems kind of weird though, because just a couple weeks ago Frank O'Connor hinted on these forums that it wouldn't make much sense to release Halo 5 on PC now.

There is the possibility Halo 5 could get an expansion thus meaning Halo 5 /currently as is/ wouldn't make sense to release on Win 10 but the new version would. Just my thoughts on it since Frankie is sneaky with words sometimes

*Wait's until he crushes my dreams again*

Halo doesn't sell a lot because only Halo fans play it now. Especially since its an exclusive franchise. Casual shooter fans will just play COD.

There's nothing Halo can do to get that massive Halo 3 audience anymore. That was a time when Halo was the only console shooter franchise worth playing.

Halo still sells a crapload for a game. It's just not at the levels it once was. I think people forget that it's still a huge seller despite this fact.

Your points for its decline in sales are probably correct, though. I predict future sales declines won't be as drastic as the FPS market is about as saturated as it'll get.

Blinx or Crash....which irrelevant mascot will make a return first?!?

I can't see a scenario where Blinx is brought back before Banjo, Conker, or Cameo (also apparently Phil never wants to talk about it when people bring it up) - and I can totally see a scenario where Crash is brought back. So, Crash.

Classic Halo is dead unfortunately. Halo 5 launched with very limited MP game types. I don't like 343's art style for Halo either. The story in 4 and 5 were also lacking, going against many of the themes established by Bungie in the earlier titles. The story did not feel like a natural extension of the previous titles.

Halo 1 and 2 were great. 3 was good but the slowed movement speed and BR spread made the game pale in comparison to 1 and 2.

I will say, Halo 5 MP is great. One of the better FPS MP titles I've played. That said, in a perfect world Guardians would exist as a spinoff along side classic style Halo 5.

bidguy

Banned
eh announcing a pc game on the xbox conference would be disappointing. like reveal that shit after the conference game is almost a year old by then

There is the possibility Halo 5 could get an expansion thus meaning Halo 5 /currently as is/ wouldn't make sense to release on Win 10 but the new version would. Just my thoughts on it since Frankie is sneaky with words sometimes

*Wait's until he crushes my dreams again*

Frankie denies all rumors. Some turn out to be true while others don't. Probably the best way to handle things. He is really good about handling rumors.

With Halo 5 Forge on PC they've already ported the entire MP portion of the game over. I would assume the whole game was ported because of the way the recompiled things to run on Windows. I could see them releasing Forge for free and then selling the full game on the Windows store. The forge mode would function both as a tool for map creators and as demo/trail as sorts for PC users.

wwm0nkey

Frankie denies all rumors. So turn out to be true while others don't. Probably the best way to handle things. He is really good about handling rumors.

With Halo 5 Forge on PC they've already ported the entire MP portion of the game over. I would assume the whole game was ported because of the way the recompiled things to run on Windows. I could see them releasing Forge for free and then selling the full game on the Windows store. The forge mode would function both as a tool for map creators and as demo/trail as sorts for PC users.

Frankie deserves a medal for the way he handles rumors honestly lol

would anyone get excited about halo 5 taking time during the conference ? i sure as hell wouldnt
If it is an expansion (like ODST) with a PC release, then yeah I think that would get some people hyped

would anyone get excited about halo 5 taking time during the conference ? i sure as hell wouldnt

Considering Halo 5 is my favourite mp shooter this gen and I play it regularly, yes.

I'm looking forward to seeing a trailer for June's content drop.

I'm also one of the people who looks forward to seeing new Destiny footage at Sony conferences (although it might not happen this time because Bungie is doing their own reveal this thurs)

I'm also one of the people who looks forward to seeing new Destiny footage at Sony conferences (although it might not happen this time because Bungie is doing their own reveal this thurs)

Thats the big one for me. Hoping we get to see more of the European Dead Zone and Jupiter. Also hoping for custom games.

I like the way you think.

Bring back MechAssault
Win10/Xbox crossplay MechAssault. They could borrow some online elements from Chromehounds. Traditional MechAssault multiplayer and that campaign PvP mode from Chromehounds.

Zedox

The answer to your question is yes.
Just because you wouldn't be excited doesn't mean that there wouldn't be. People have been wanting a PC release of Halo proper for a while.
----------------------------------------------------------

I would fuck with a MechAssault.

Alexious

Frankie denies all rumors. Some turn out to be true while others don't. Probably the best way to handle things. He is really good about handling rumors.

It's not just that he denied the rumors, which of course he would do. Here's an excerpt of his post on the matter:

for folks wondering why we don’t “just” port the whole game – realtalk:
While I personally believe it’s an evergreen masterpiece of whimsy and wonder, it would be a year old by the time Forge released, and given the architecture, cloud, matchmaking, etc etc etcetc differences between platforms, it would be neither trivial to port, nor uncompromised in that process, given it was designed with targeted Xbox One perf in mind to begin with.

We have to work on things that are sustainable for the studio, and make sense for long term planning. This is something we wanted to do for Xbox One forgers for a long time and is of course an extension of the existing suite. This is a sustain beat for Halo 5 on Xbox One. It’s certainly a big bonus that PC creators and players will get to play around in that sandbox, but that’s not really the primary purpose of the tool.

We knew there’d be latent demands for a full version of the game (as there have been since H2 on Vista), but neither the time nor the finances make sense this far along the calendar. Halo Wars 2 will be a more palatable and straightforward example of the fact that we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio.

But hey, I'd love to see it on PC since I don't own an Xbox One. I just think these words kind of make it unlikely.

Just do ChromeHounds 2 with crossplay, I would never stop playing
Xbox exclusive, MS funded, FromSoftware, MechAssault title. The forums would melt. The best of both worlds.

It's not just that he denied the rumors, which of course he would do. Here's an excerpt of his post on the matter:
But hey, I'd love to see it on PC since I don't own an Xbox One. I just think these words kind of make it unlikely.
It wouldn't be the first time. I can see it going either way. If the entire Xbox UI on PC thing turns out to be true then ports might not even be necessary.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox exclusive, MS funded, FromSoftware, MechAssault title. The forums would melt. The best of both worlds.

It wouldn't be the first time. I can see it going either way. If the entire Xbox UI on PC thing turns out to be true then ports might not even be necessary.

New Chromehounds would be awesome

etta

my hard graphic balls
You know what would be awesome, Microsoft could leverage the Xbox UI on Windows 10 to incentivize developers. If all Xbox console games work on Windows 10, you'd have games like Madden and NHL that would be playable on PC as Xbox games, or other games where developers only want to develop for PS4 and XBO, those games could be played by PC gamers with the Xbox UI.

So in some cases developers get to take advantage of selling to a PC userbase with no additional hassle of developing for PC, just develop the Xbox console version.
Imagine something big like Red Dead Redemption (not that Rockstar would make another console exclusive) or Destiny. Or hell, GTA VI will probably be console exclusive for 6-12 months again just like with GTA V, but you'd be able to play the Xbox version on PC until Rockstar releases it on PC.

Zedox

You know what would be awesome, Microsoft could leverage the Xbox UI on Windows 10 to incentivize developers. If all Xbox console games work on Windows 10, you'd have games like Madden and NHL that would be playable on PC as Xbox games, or other games where developers only want to develop for PS4 and XBO, those games could be played by PC gamers with the Xbox UI.

So in some cases developers get to take advantage of selling to a PC userbase with no additional hassle of developing for PC, just develop the Xbox console version.
Imagine something big like Red Dead Redemption (not that Rockstar would make another console exclusive) or Destiny. Or hell, GTA VI will probably be console exclusive for 6-12 months again just like with GTA V, but you'd be able to play the Xbox version on PC until Rockstar releases it on PC.

"Xbox games" won't work on Windows 10 PCs. They will be UWAs. Madden can be deployed on PC...but as UWA...not "Xbox games". I do think it may happen but I don't think Madden will be on the Windows Store, I think it will still be in Origin but still as a UWA.

etta

my hard graphic balls
"Xbox games" won't work on Windows 10 PCs. They will be UWAs. Madden can be deployed on PC...but as UWA...not "Xbox games". I do think it may happen but I don't think Madden will be on the Windows Store, I think it will still be in Origin but still as a UWA.
No I am referring to the Xbox UI rumor on Windows 10, where it would allow any PC to be an Xbox One/Scorpio (given it has the specs of course). And Madden isn't on PC.

That is what some people are hoping for. That said, the bolded is what some people are concerned about. A few of us have been talking about what that means in another thread. I think that a move towards UWA (as mentioned below) would be great in that it would get more games running on PC but it would come at the cost of the openess of the PC platform since UWP is more or less a closed system like the Apple App Store on iOS. That is fine for mobile and consoles but would take away a small part of what makes PC games unique.

That is my thought as well but there is a rumor about the full XboxUI getting integrated in Windows 10 too. I suppose it could work like BackCompat on Xbox One with MS controlling which games (as Xbox UWAs on PC) could be played through the UI and each publisher agreeing what is ok and what isn't. It all sounds like a licensing nightmare to me. Honestly I am unsure what to believe.

Edit: As Etta just mentioned there are two rumors circulating right now. One is Xbox UI on PC and the other is that first party xbox exclusive titles will come to PC as UWAs.

If MS does HA3 they are reaching Capcom lvls of re-releasing shit
My dream scenario:
1) They fix MCC and release a PC version with cross-play. Make it Games with Gold on Xbox.
2) They turn Halo 2 Anniversary MP into simply Anniversary MP.
3) They release H3A Singleplayer Expansion in 2017 with a few Halo 3 MP maps for Anniversary MP and ODST firefight

My dream scenario:
1) They fix MCC and release a PC version with cross-play. Make it Games with Gold on Xbox.
2) They turn Halo 2 Anniversary MP into simply Anniversary MP.
3) They release H3A Singleplayer Expansion in 2017 with a few Halo 3 MP maps for Anniversary MP and ODST firefight

Please stop making me hope for these things arghhhh!!! I can't take it :(

Zedox

No I am referring to the Xbox UI rumor on Windows 10, where it would allow any PC to be an Xbox One/Scorpio (given it has the specs of course). And Madden isn't on PC.

Xbox UI coming to Windows 10 wouldn't make the PC "become" a XBO or Scorpio...it would just be the UI that we get from the Xbox. Remember when Phil Spencer said that he wanted the Xbox One to work with kb/m...that means that he wants the console to work with kb/m but also the PC to work the same. So the Xbox App would probably get an overhaul that is similar to the Xbox One UI in certain ways (and in which they are similar now).

rrc1594

You're correct that they're working on something else. However, if we see it at E3 this year I will be flabbergasted. Not even close to ready.

I don't know about their side projects (if they have any), though.

Bingo.

Thanks for the info we really don't have anybody to give inside info on what MS is doing.

Any idea of new IPs from MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom