• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think the Yooka kickstarter highlighted how big the base dedicated big Rare fans is, but Banjo should easily extend beyond this. Especially if Mayles were to do the level design again, because he is obviously one of the best level designers of the world.

Have you checked Steamspy? Looks like that player base is far off from the million sellers that Microsoft expects their games to be. I don't see anything suggesting they are interested in changing their stance, not with Scalebound being shut down and Lionhead closed. Sea of Thieves exists because it has the potential to appeal to 5 million people. You can't do a lot with Banjo in terms of DLC or microtransactions, which is what almost every Microsoft 1st party game offers (Halo, Gears, Forza). So I don't expect any Banjo game. I'd love to be proven wrong, but they'd have to step up their game and be better than Mario.

Welfare

Alright, this is as far as I have gotten. It's late and I had to figure a few things out. Things should go faster tomorrow. I will go back and get anyone that I missed at some point after I get up and exercise. But anyone can feel free to step in as conductor if they think they could do a good job! I am by no means good at photoshop at all lol.

ChIAWFq.jpg
I'll take a seat on this.

eso76

No car I reckon this time

yep, i was thinking the same.
Tbh even the Ford in 2015 just kind of appeared and went away and was totally unnecessary.
But i got the impression that Dan's presentation was cut at last minute and was supposed to last longer

jmartoine

Have you checked Steamspy? Looks like that player base is far off from the million sellers that Microsoft expects their games to be. I don't see anything suggesting they are interested in changing their stance, not with Scalebound being shut down and Lionhead closed. Sea of Thieves exists because it has the potential to appeal to 5 million people. You can't do a lot with Banjo in terms of DLC or microtransactions, which is what almost every Microsoft 1st party game offers (Halo, Gears, Forza). So I don't expect any Banjo game. I'd love to be proven wrong, but they'd have to step up their game and be better than Mario.

You don't need million sellers to make a profit on a game. A small title with a £3,000,000 budget sold at £30 would break even after 100,000 sales. Bearing in mind only the top Microsoft franchises such as Halo, Gears and Forza sell over 3 million, Microsoft would be naïve to think other franchises would be million sellers.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Alright, this is as far as I have gotten. It's late and I had to figure a few things out. Things should go faster tomorrow. I will go back and get anyone that I missed at some point after I get up and exercise. But anyone can feel free to step in as conductor if they think they could do a good job! I am by no means good at photoshop at all lol.

ChIAWFq.jpg

Choo-choo! I'm onboard.

Leflus

Fable I, II and III were multi-million sellers... The closure of Lionhead was the result of Xbox' failed attempt at GaaS with the Fable franchise. It had nothing to do with Microsoft's desire for million selling games.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point. Xbox seems to be moving away from small / mid-tier games with them parting ways with Twisted Pixel and shutting down Press Play and Project Spark. Which is a shame, because MS published and developed a bunch of cool small games between 2010 and 2014.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No, I don't even know what Steamspy is, does it have something to do with the PC storefront of similar name? Yooka-Laylee is an indie game with a meager marketing budget, that had its most popular version cancelled shortly before release, mediocre reviews and without the franchise attached, with the Kickstarter success you are basically looking at the absolute hardcore of Banjo fans, not at the full sales potential for a Banjo game. I am positive Banjo-Threeie, if marketed appropiately and developed by a good team at Rare under Gregg Mayles would have a reasonable chance of hitting a million sold.

It's not going to fit well with the online focus of MS, in fact, DLC seems rather misguided for such a game and it is also outside of MS' usual target audience. But in fact, the latter is something that should make Banjo all the more valuable for MS. Indeed, I doubt MS is seeing this, as they have not seen this in the past either, but I stand by the point that it would be strategically absolutely sound to release a new Banjo game.

ChIAWFq.jpg

Put me on that train good man.

Edit - that scorpion they sent you, GSY Miguel, is awesome :)

darkinstinct

but I stand by the point that it would be strategically absolutely sound to release a new Banjo game.

I am sure they gathered a lot of data from Rare Replay and if the playtime for Banjo is good they will think about it.

Checking Trueachievements:

Rare Replay

There are a maximum of 200 Rare Replay achievements worth 23,160 (4,000)
71,978 tracked gamers have this game, 107 have completed it (0.15%)

The Honey Bear's Tales68 (30)

Sampled every Banjo game in the collection.
Unlocked by 13,986 tracked gamers (19% - TA Ratio = 2.26)

To get this you must open up and play Banjo-tooie, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts.
once you have opened them up in the gallery and they're loading the game you can quit, it will still count as being sampled.

Yeah, there won't be another Banjo.

willbsn13

yep, i was thinking the same.
Tbh even the Ford in 2015 just kind of appeared and went away and was totally unnecessary.
But i got the impression that Dan's presentation was cut at last minute and was supposed to last longer

Yeah same, I think Dan was supposed to talk much longer.

Either way, I don't think we'll see a car this time. I think it'll be similar to Forza Horizon 3 since that reveal worked wonders for them last time. I reckon we'll get a crazy good-looking trailer with a more slow paced song (like FH3) then we'll get a short 4-5min stage demo from Dan talking features, e-sports most likely and a release date.

ChIAWFq.jpg

Get me on that train!

Leflus

I am sure they gathered a lot of data from Rare Replay and if the playtime for Banjo is good they will think about it.

Rare Replay

To get this you must open up and play Banjo-tooie, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts.
once you have opened them up in the gallery and they're loading the game you can quit, it will still count as being sampled.

Eh. True Achievements isn't really a good indicator of how well a game has sold.

Here's a stat for you, though: Banjo-Kazooie XBLA has 962K entries in its leaderboard.

Banjo-Kazooie has never been a GwG release so those entries, except for duplicates playing on the same console, are all from paying customers on XBLA or through Rare Replay.

Granted, there are no way for us to know how many of the B-K owners from the 360 era are invested in the Xbox ecosystem. Plus there's the fact that the XBLA version was released in 2008 and has had nearly 10 years to reach that number. Rare Replay must have boosted it quite a bit.

Edit: Banjo-Tooie has 520K entries.

Hype Trains are really stupid IMO.

"Hey, let's make a bunch of post asking someone to shop our avatars on a photo of a train to show how excited we are for a conference"

The thread's activity is more than enough to gauge hype levels
No fun allowed but guess what you get to wear the drivers cap right up front for a day!

ChIAWFq.jpg
I'm ready to ride the hype

Rare Replay

True Achievements only tracks those who've signed up to its site though, so those stats aren't really useful in your argument.

Ushay

New tweet from Gregg...

"Many a rhyme now completed,
Rubbish ones have been deleted,
If their role is what you seek,
Keep watchful eye this coming week"

https://twitter.com/ghoulyboy/status/872391417120919553

Nope, Nope not getting my hopes up.

ChIAWFq.jpg

I'm in :)

Isurus

ChIAWFq.jpg

All aboard! Put me on this beast, please.

Rare Replay

^^ lmao you are serious aren't you

Leyasu

Banned

ChIAWFq.jpg

One ticket please

JlNX

ChIAWFq.jpg

Strap me in on board conductor!!

Jason Schreier of Kotaku has confirmed on the Split Screen podcast that Bioware's new IP (Dylan) will effectively be announced at a conference that isn't the EA conference.

If we include that, along with the rumor that Jez Corden has heard that an unannounced EA game will be on the MS stage, along with all the rumblings that some of the GAFers here are hinting it, this means Dylan will be Xbox's Destiny in terms of a massive 3rd-party marketing partner.

The interesting tidbit here is the fact that Dylan... will apparently skip EA's conference altogether, to be at the MS conference instead. For that to happen implies it's a big marketing deal.

Rare Replay

Highly inaccurate my friend, either way if I recall rare collection actually sold really well for MS & Rare.

With that being said....still not falling into the traps of them twitter rhymes.

I HOPE ITS TRUE PLEASE!

vivekTO

Jason Schreier of Kotaku has confirmed on the Split Screen podcast that Bioware's new IP (Dylan) will effectively be announced at a conference that isn't the EA conference.

If we include that, along with the rumor that Jez Corden has heard that an unannounced EA game will be on the MS stage, along with all the rumblings that some of the GAFers here are hinting it, this means Dylan will be Xbox's Destiny in terms of a massive 3rd-party marketing partner.

The interesting tidbit here is the fact that Dylan... will apparently skip EA's conference altogether, to be at the MS conference instead. For that to happen implies it's a big marketing deal.

But I thought, Microsoft said that they will not Spend money on third party partnerships??

darkinstinct

^^ lmao you are serious aren't you

I wasn't suggesting that Rare Replay didn't sell (typically TA numbers are 1/10th of actual sales), just that only 1/5th of Rare Replay owners on TA ever bothered to at least start the three Banjo games once. And that's a number that is positively skewed because it is one of the easiest achievements there is and likely to be unlocked by achievement aficionados. So even if RR sold 1 million there are less than 200.000 owners that showed any interest in Banjo at all.

Raide

Everybody and their mother at this point already know MS also has AC Origin marketing along with Wardor. They're just spending less, I guess.

Or just being a bit more selective. Hopefully it's more money going into developing games and not just advertising them.

blakep267

But I thought, Microsoft said that they will not Spend money on third party partnerships??
That's not what Phil said. He said he's not going to try and do Dead rising or tomb raider type deals in the future i.e. Timed exclusive console launches for AAA games. They'll still do marketing deals and have full exclusives from 3rd party partners

Also the marketing deals stuff has been way overblown on here. They don't have COD Battlefront or Destiny, but they have annual madden, fallout 4, division etc

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

ChIAWFq.jpg

I am in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom