• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

sangreal

Seen this on reddit
gL2iGKs.jpg

lol, I know that pain. When I was a kid my puppy wrecked my playstation

L.O.R.D

just got the controller and the wireless adapter
how to install the driver? i plug it to my laptop but it wont install.

Windows 7 pro.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After a few months messing around with it, the "polygonal" dpad is really one of my favorite dpads ever. I was so skeptical of it when announced, it just looked like pure gimmickry...but the ease of control and the way it rocks into different degrees in a clicky way makes it feel like some weird hybrid of an analog stick and a traditional dpad that works brilliantly. It's just a dream to control in most games, especially after switching it out with the actual dpad piece and feeling how much stiffer the controls feel with that one.

Awakened

After a few months messing around with it, the "polygonal" dpad is really one of my favorite dpads ever. I was so skeptical of it when announced, it just looked like pure gimmickry...but the ease of control and the way it rocks into different degrees in a clicky way makes it feel like some weird hybrid of an analog stick and a traditional dpad that works brilliantly. It's just a dream to control in most games, especially after switching it out with the actual dpad piece and feeling how much stiffer the controls feel with that one.
Yep, it's great! I think MS should make a revision of their standard One controller with this same kind of D-Pad.

Shoogoo

Might sound stupid, but to those of you who broke their LB/RB buttons, do you mash it? Where do you push it, on the far end? Or on the whole surface?

I'm ready to bite on this, but those shoulder buttons make it hard to jump in.

pieface

So can anyone tell me how I edit the sensitivity of the triggers so when I have the "hairline trigger" setting activated I can still hold the trigger down as if it's all the way down?

Ie... Holding the trigger down to power up a plasma pistol in Halo, it doesn't power up with default trigger settings...

So can anyone tell me how I edit the sensitivity of the triggers so when I have the "hairline trigger" setting activated I can still hold the trigger down as if it's all the way down?

Ie... Holding the trigger down to power up a plasma pistol in Halo, it doesn't power up with default trigger settings...

If you're using the trigger stops, set your triggers to a 0-75 range instead of the default 0-100. Then when you've got it pulled as far as the trigger stop allows, it will register as a full trigger pull. Change 75 to a lower number for a more responsive trigger. Or just set it to 0-1 and barely pulling the trigger will register a full trigger pull, which may feel more responsive for shooters.

Ocho

So before I could ship my controller because left bumper was sticking, I decided to test it out again by playing Dark Souls (heavy bumper usage), and the problem is gone... so it fixed itself somehow, and I haven't had any issues for a week+. So not sure what happened, but the sticking was real.

I usually play with very clean hands so dunno.

O.DOGG

My 360 controller started acting up - appears to be a cable problem - and I'm now considering the Elite as a replacement. I can't seem to find a straight answer so I'll ask you guys who have it:
Does this controller work on Windows 8.1 with no problems - wirelessly with the dongle?
I understand the app is Windows 10 only but it's only for remapping the buttons, correct? Can I do without it?

I got a new job just recently with a better pay so I may treat myself to one of these if I know it'll work on my machine.

Warablo

Anyone have any advice for the stick deadzones/sensitivity?

When I first got the controller I could tell my aim was off. So I fiddle around with it and found that aggressive with a lower axis works best to emulate the default Xb1 controller. Then a week later I tried default pre-set again and couldn't tell a difference, but then I did notice that I wasn't winning faceoffs as much in Nhl on default. So I figured the deadzone/aim must still be off from the default Xb1 controller.

pieface

Has anyone got any experience with returning these to MS? (i'm in the UK)

My left bumper keeps coming out of its socket and it's really annoying, and the trigger "grinds" a little bit too when pressed.

How long does it take MS to generally turn them around with a replacement?

Has anyone got any experience with returning these to MS? (i'm in the UK)

My left bumper keeps coming out of its socket and it's really annoying, and the trigger "grinds" a little bit too when pressed.

How long does it take MS to generally turn them around with a replacement?

It was about 8 days from the time I shipped it until I got it back. Got there in 3, shipped back to me 2 days later, and got back to me in 3.

Ecto311

Any ideas on the new controllers or peripherals coming out for e3? I am really wanting another one of these since the one I had but had to return due to money issues at the time. I keep hearing about new hardware or controllers from MS coming around e3 but seen no leaks or rumors.

pieface

It was about 8 days from the time I shipped it until I got it back. Got there in 3, shipped back to me 2 days later, and got back to me in 3.

Thanks mate.

Do they replace it with a brand new one or a refurb?

I'll be a bit disappointed if I get a refurb unit considering it's still in warranty.

Oynox

I really need to send in mine too... dammit, but it is soo good!

However since Day One the lower left paddle is missing the "pressing point", this "click" sound is missing so you constantly have the feeling that you press it when you touch it. That is why I only use two paddles.

And for some weeks now the B button is a bit sticky, I do not know where that comes from.

pieface

Yeah my left bumper went weird, and my buttons started sticking so I've had to bite the bullet and return in. Though, 8-10 days without my pad is going to feel like a long time.

ekim

Any ideas on the new controllers or peripherals coming out for e3? I am really wanting another one of these since the one I had but had to return due to money issues at the time. I keep hearing about new hardware or controllers from MS coming around e3 but seen no leaks or rumors.

Wait for E3. :)

I really need to send in mine too... dammit, but it is soo good!

However since Day One the lower left paddle is missing the "pressing point", this "click" sound is missing so you constantly have the feeling that you press it when you touch it. That is why I only use two paddles.

And for some weeks now the B button is a bit sticky, I do not know where that comes from.

I got my Elite from Best Buy and had to exchange it twice. The first time was because one of the triggers would stick/grind mid press and it bugged me. The replacement had good triggers but then I discovered the non-clicking paddle you are describing, which was frankly worse than the grinding trigger (you are right, it felt like I was clicking constantly when I wasn't). Replaced that one (each replacement they had to reorder online because they didn't have any in stock) and it had the exact same problem as the 2nd one with the non-clicking paddle. At that point I didn't want to keep sending it back so I cut a very small piece of masking tape with an xacto knife and placed it on the little green button under the paddle. It is definitely better and the click is satisfying and useable now, but unfortunately there is still some up & down wiggle to the paddle that isn't present in the others. I actually just didn't use it for a couple of months because the whole experience soured me after being so excited to finally get an elite. I've just started using it again in the last couple of weeks and while I wish the elite were actually a little more elite, I'm enjoying it just fine. I'm just OCD enough that one day I'll likely pick up a second one when they are in-stock an I can more easily make exchanges if needed. Hopefully by then their manufacturing kinks will be worked out.

pieface

So I returned my Xbox Elite controller to MS. They have sent out a replacement, but there's no tracking details and they say it can take 28 days?!? 28 days?

That's ridiculous. Should I have a moan at their customer services, they told me it would all be turned around in 10 days. Why would they not put tracking on it? Is this just standard?

nick nacc

Banned
Man mine constantly loses connection on PC for half a second before reconnecting again. Annoying as hell.

same issue with me. Its always plugged in now because a random disconecct playing rocket league is a bad time. It tends to happen when I play with my hands below my desk. You? I don't really have any other wireless devices near it. I am also on the older xbox controller drivers since the new one had that mouse glitch.

So I returned my Xbox Elite controller to MS. They have sent out a replacement, but there's no tracking details and they say it can take 28 days?!? 28 days?

That's ridiculous. Should I have a moan at their customer services, they told me it would all be turned around in 10 days. Why would they not put tracking on it? Is this just standard?

I haven't RMA'd an Elite, but I did a Day One, and it took more than a month.

They did give me a tracking number three days after I shipped mine, but the number wasn't any good, MS couldn't tell me why, and then one day it just showed up like magic.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
same issue with me. Its always plugged in now because a random disconecct playing rocket league is a bad time. It tends to happen when I play with my hands below my desk. You? I don't really have any other wireless devices near it. I am also on the older xbox controller drivers since the new one had that mouse glitch.
Usb 2 by any chance? I had recurring disconnection issues with my controller until I changed to usb 3. It would last 10-30mins tops before being disconnected before the change, regardless of how close I was to the dongle. Now with it connected via usb 3 I can be on the other side of the house in a different room and the controller works just fine for hours.

pieface

I haven't RMA'd an Elite, but I did a Day One, and it took more than a month.

They did give me a tracking number three days after I shipped mine, but the number wasn't any good, MS couldn't tell me why, and then one day it just showed up like magic.

It's absolutely rubbish. Tried contacting MS support for a tracking number, but they can't provide one and tell me I need to wait the full 28days for delivery of my replaced Elite controller. If it was a standard controller then fine, but a £120 controller? With a 28 days shipping? It's pathetic.

Should have just bought it from Argos and replaced it there.

pitchfork

Pre-ordered the Gears 4 one announced at E3

Been planning on picking one up for a while now but thought i'd wait for E3 in expectation of some kind of LTD edition

As a gears fan I was secretly hoping it would be this and it looks glorious! slightly worried about these build quality issues i'm hearing though, i'll confess

Grabbed an X1 Elite bundle from GameStop since it's cheap right now, so I'll finally be able to use this goddamn sexy beast of a controller.

Has anyone used the Chronusmax+ with it for PS4 play? Worth it?

Klocker

So need to go grab a new controller this weekend, is the Elite really a worthy upgrade at that cost difference $91 with tax, from say a lunar white? Looking at around

Main feature I see using is custom button assignments and the paddles for extra features

I'm running my elite controller wirelessly to my PC via the wireless adapter. Is there anyway to get game audio through the controller's 3.5mm jack in this scenario? Sorry if this has been answered many times over.

jet1911

So need to go grab a new controller this weekend, is the Elite really a worthy upgrade at that cost difference $91 with tax, from say a lunar white? Looking at around

Main feature I see using is custom button assignments and the paddles for extra features

If you have the money I'd say yes. The paddles are a gamechanger. The build quality is crazy good too. Best controller I've ever used.

Should I assume the Gears 4 Elite doesn't have Bluetooth?

All I have seen is it comes with a dlc pack (unique multiplayer emblem and 3 gear packs), custom red USB cable and a gears branded case. Nothing about Bluetooth.

Was hoping it would have been one of the new pads in elite and I would have upgraded.

jfoul

I'm wondering if the new S controllers fixed the bumper flaw with the elite and 3.5mm controllers. It'll be interesting to see the teardown videos in the coming months.

Edit: Anybody know where I can get a bumper assembly replacement for the elite/3.5mm?

Klocker

Can you remap (or more specifically assign specific actions) to buttons in any game? Or does it need a dev provided profile for this controller?

Also, There are games where devs don't have certain functions available on certain controller defaults, but does this allow me to map a button to one of the features from another default in game action? Or just what is available in current default controller set up or other button action?

eek5

Can you remap (or more specifically assign specific actions) to buttons in any game? Or does it need a dev provided profile for this controller?

Also, There are games where devs don't have certain functions available on certain controller defaults, but does this allow me to map a button to one of the features from another default in game action? Or just what is available in current default controller set up or other button action?

You create your own profiles and you can save 2 at a time to the controller.

You can only remap buttons not assign buttons to new functions.

Is it still the case that the paddles can't be remapped to keyboard strokes when playing on PC?

Really want to get an elite but it feels like if I can't do the remaps then it's kind of a redundant purchase and I should just stick with my vanilla controllers.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
it doesnt, i asked one of the guys in charge on twitter

Damn

All I have seen is it comes with a dlc pack (unique multiplayer emblem and 3 gear packs), custom red USB cable and a gears branded case. Nothing about Bluetooth.

Was hoping it would have been one of the new pads in elite and I would have upgraded.

Me too. Would have replace my standard Elite instantly. Silly decision.

Unit24

Just got mine. It's pretty comfy overall, but I really wish there was a way to modify the sticks to have more resistance. They still feel too loose.

fritolay

I've had mine for 6 months. Easily best controller I have ever used.

I hope with Scorpio they will keep compatibility with XB1 controllers, or I hope they have the same Elite controller design with bluetooth that is compatibile if they go that route.

SwolBro

Banned
So, we were told at launch that there'd be new paddles, thumbsticks, a bunch of stuff coming from Scuf gaming.... a year later where is it? we've had nothing but a halo themed set that was priced at an absurd $50

Vuze

I really hope they enable keyboard paddle mapping one day. :/
There's a workaround for it on PC even if it's slightly convoluted thanks to UWP. Google ElitePaddles.
I should really start working on my modified branch again to allow non-hard coded key mappings but UWPs restrictive approach makes this an absolute bitch on so many levels.

There's a workaround for it on PC even if it's slightly convoluted thanks to UWP. Google ElitePaddles.
I should really start working on my modified branch again to allow non-hard coded key mappings but UWPs restrictive approach makes this an absolute bitch on so many levels.

ElitePaddles looks pretty useable, even if it is a bit hacky. I might reconsider this now.

UWP, making our lives better everyday!!

hwy_61

Banned
I went to a Best Buy yesterday to pick up FO4, and I came reeeeeeally close to buying this damn thing.

That box has some heft to it!

Just a quick note about FO4: you can still get a free copy of FO3. I thought that was a limited time deal, but apparently it isn't.

jax

Banned
Thanks, I'll check it out!!

Top Bottom