• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

eek5

I've been playing with stick curves (instant? on left since that's usually movement and I want to move fast) and some random ones on the right. I'm using long stick on right stick so I rarely move outside of 75% stick movement usually. Can't really notice a difference in gameplay. Might make them more aggressive to see if I can notice a difference.

Does this help?

N3Ib.png

See the difference in where the green dot is? With the adjusted curve, you get more turn speed from pushing the stick halfway than you do from the default settings. With the stick at full tilt, it'll be the same though.

One thing I'm not sure of and would like to know, is if this this gets layered on top of whatever curve the developer set for their game, or does this override their curve? I'm assuming it's the former, which means you more than won't be able to use the same setting s in this app for all games and have them all feel the same.

I'm pretty sure it just gets layered on top. It would probably be too complicated otherwise. You can set curves per profile though so you'd just have to fine tune your curve to specific games. I noticed last night that going to the accessory app doesn't boot me from black ops at least so I can make adjustments during lobbies which is nice.

I loaded up GTA V for the first time in more than 6 months, which is the first time since getting my elite, and it's getting stick drift on the right stick. It has deadzone sliders for aiming mode, so I can get rid of it there, but it doesn't have the same sliders for regular on foot/driving. I don't get it with my lunar white controller. I tried 11 other games with the elite, and none of them get stick drift.

Stick drift was what went wrong with my Day One controller, though it was the other stick and took 2 years to start showing up. I really hope this one isn't starting to go already.

SRTtoZ

Just got mine today! I didn't open it yet but holy shit the box this thing comes in is ELITE as fuck. Will update with impressions later.

Kanhir

Still salty that I can only bind paddles to other controller buttons. I was hoping for something that would let me assign Signs to the paddles in Witcher 3, for example, or switching combat styles in the original Witcher.

FX-GMC

Still salty that I can only bind paddles to other controller buttons. I was hoping for something that would let me assign Signs to the paddles in Witcher 3, for example, or switching combat styles in the original Witcher.

I can't see Microsoft giving Xbox Elite Controller owners access to extra inputs. That would be an unfair advantage. I can see it now. "XboxOne is now Pay2Win. M$ sucks."

SRTtoZ

Wow so quick first impressions are its easily the best controller ive ever held in my hands. As soon as you pick it up its noticeably heavier than both the DS4 and the standard XB1 controller. The silky smooth coating of the controller and the rubber grips feel great and all 4 of the paddles fit perfectly onto my fingers without losing control of the grip. The box it comes in is also S tier along with the carrying/storage case and all of the attachments. The Dpad feels very good (both of em). Also, can we buy extra analogs in case they wear out over time? Talk about an easy replacement instead of opening the controller and replacing them. Time to fire up Halo 5 and give this puppy a try, I'm guessing the shorter trigger option should be better for the magnum since less travel should mean faster response. I really hope Sony follows suit with some sort of DS4 elite because i'd be first in line for that.

10/10 first impressions.

Wow so quick first impressions are its easily the best controller ive ever held in my hands. As soon as you pick it up its noticeably heavier than both the DS4 and the standard XB1 controller. The silky smooth coating of the controller and the rubber grips feel great and all 4 of the paddles fit perfectly onto my fingers without losing control of the grip. The box it comes in is also S tier along with the carrying/storage case and all of the attachments. The Dpad feels very good (both of em). Also, can we buy extra analogs in case they wear out over time? Talk about an easy replacement instead of opening the controller and replacing them. Time to fire up Halo 5 and give this puppy a try, I'm guessing the shorter trigger option should be better for the magnum since less travel should mean faster response. I really hope Sony follows suit with some sort of DS4 elite because i'd be first in line for that.

10/10 first impressions.

Make sure to go into the controller app settings and tinker with it a bit. There are options to customize your trigger pull to when it registers 100%, so you can even make it more 'hair' if you'd like. :p

Also look above to the post someone showed about the sticks. It's quite an amazing amount of customization.

I love the elite. :) Made Halo 5 feel brand new and the paddles feel made for it!

Lima

Go to https://myservice.xbox.com and look under "Replace an accessory". After a few screens you should get you to one that lets you order whatever parts you want for an Xbox Elite Controller.

Might have to do this to get an extra set of short paddles. I absolutely can't stand the longer paddles. They are too loose and awkward to press. With 2 extra short paddles I might actually use all 4. Hmmm

eek5

Might have to do this to get an extra set of short paddles. I absolutely can't stand the longer paddles. They are too loose and awkward to press. With 2 extra short paddles I might actually use all 4. Hmmm

I'm using 4 short paddles now. I've slowly been integrating them into my gameplay and I like it so far. It doesn't get in the way and I can grip the controller like I would with two paddles and use the lower ones when I need them. Highly recommended!

Do they cost much?

$15 for a set of 4 paddles (2 long, 2 short)

You can get a set of 2 longs and 2 shorts for $15 from Microsoft's support site. Let me dig up exactly how you get to it. It took me a few minutes to figure it out because when I use the site in Chrome, half the links just refresh the page and do nothing.

Do not do this in Chrome, or the site probably won't work.
Go to https://myservice.xbox.com/en-US/Pages/Welcome.aspx
Click on "replace an accessory"
Click on "Xbox One"
Click on "Elite Controller"
click "next"
It will ask you if you have a product ID. I clicked no, and hit "continue" in the bottom right of the popup.
FINALLY, you will get to a screen that lets you select items to purchase replacements for. It should look like this:
W8Hb.png

SRTtoZ

Go to https://myservice.xbox.com and look under "Replace an accessory". After a few screens you should get you to one that lets you order whatever parts you want for an Xbox Elite Controller.

Fantastic, I had to register my Xbox1 and then it gave me the option to replace the accessories. I never knew about this so thank you and I'm going to order an extra set of analogs for backup just in case situations.

Make sure to go into the controller app settings and tinker with it a bit. There are options to customize your trigger pull to when it registers 100%, so you can even make it more 'hair' if you'd like. :p

Also look above to the post someone showed about the sticks. It's quite an amazing amount of customization.

I love the elite. :) Made Halo 5 feel brand new and the paddles feel made for it!

Yea I'm gonna tinker a bit and see what feels great. I have to get used to these damn paddles though but I see that the potential is huge! I'll be honest, aside from Halo 5, I'm primarily a PS4/PC gamer first but this controller makes me want to buy games on Xbox One more often :D

Wow that is terrible. If it were me I'd send it back. The box is really nice and useful for storing.

I think he means a bubble bag mailer, with the box inside, as opposed to a traditional shipping box. There's no way the controller was shipped without its retail packaging unless it was refurbished.

aaaaa0

I'm using 4 short paddles now. I've slowly been integrating them into my gameplay and I like it so far. It doesn't get in the way and I can grip the controller like I would with two paddles and use the lower ones when I need them. Highly recommended!

I did this too. $15 wasn't a bad price, and now I have 4 short paddles.

datamage

What are the odds of getting a second-hand one in a brand new box? I recently got one from Best Buy, and something just looked off. A couple of the sticks looked like they had some smudges on em, and the controller itself had a slight smudge next to the d-pad. Maybe this happened during the packaging?

Lastly, the right trigger, if I enable the hair trigger lock, I press down once on it, hit the limit, I can press down it again and it feels like it's making a small click. (The left trigger doesn't do this..)

Justinh

I am! I didn't realise until a few days ago but its awesome, I mapped X1 to opening the achievements app and its so fast its awesome. The chatpad in general is really good, its nicely built, has all the headset adapter controls and is nice and easy to type into. Well worth getting imo and the programmable buttons is a nice bonus, the customisation options seem really nice for that

I didn't even notice you could do this yet! I should pay more attention (although, I kinda like them set as screenshot and record that, though...).

A game that I started playing with the Elite Controller recently is a game in which I never thought I'd want to use paddles: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin.

Yeah being able to run and move the camera around more easily is the one that comes to mind at first, but I really love being able to jump with a paddle as opposed to the release and press B or clicking the thumbstick.

I usually used release and press B because I was used to it from Dark Souls 1, but it never felt "right." Clicking the left stick isn't that easy for me to do consistently and using a paddle to run and another to jump gives me so much more confidence when I need to clear a gap and have had much, much more success than when I played vanilla DkS2 on 360.

Whelp. My elite has drift on the right thumbstick now. Any fixes? Does this thing come.with a warranty?

Mine has drift on the right stick too, but it only shows up in GTA V. I hadn't done anything about it because I'm not playing GTA V so it doesn't bother me. I guess I should.

FX-GMC

I own 4 different controllers with stick drift. 2 are 360 pads, 1 is a DS3 and the last is my Special Forces XB1 controller. At this point I've learned to self-center my sticks. The alternative would be making the dead-zones larger and I don't want that at all.

Looks like the Halo accessory set is coming on April 11, for $50, exclusive to Gamestop.
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/ac...7&sourceID=te1Fq2FCseg-zlf8nXHMACJl0mJRE2sUvg

Officially licensed and specifically designed for the Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller
Low-friction, textured analog sticks
Custom sizes and shapes for individual gaming preference and accuracy
A 10-piece kit Including 2 Standard Analog Sticks, 2 Mid-Tall Analog Sticks, 2 Domed Mid-Tall Analog sticks, 2 Upper Paddles, 2 Lower Paddles, and 2 Directional Pads.

The description says 10 pieces, but then lists 12 parts (2+2+2 analog sticks, 4 paddles, 2 dpads). Not sure which is correct.

Pepiope

$50 is insane for that. If that's how much these kits will regularly cost, then I'll just stick with the ones that come with the remote.

eek5

$50!? I'm glad I got my short paddles for $15 now.

The only thing I want is the med tall convex sticks. Would be better if they priced it out separately.

Do they sell small (or regular size) domed sticks? It's my only gripe with the controller, as pressing L3/R3 is killing my thumbs with the default design. I tried using the tall domed sticks but there's way too much travel.

Separately, has anyone secured a warranty through SquareTrade for this, or any, controller? I can't figure out what product category to register this under--the "Video Games" one seems to apply to consoles only, but it's cheaper than selecting "Misc Electronics".

Do they sell small (or regular size) domed sticks? It's my only gripe with the controller, as pressing L3/R3 is killing my thumbs with the default design. I tried using the tall domed sticks but there's way too much travel.

I don't think so, which is a shame because I'd like a short (standard length) domed stick as well. I like that the controller comes with options, but they're just not the specific options I'd like. I want a short domed stick,a medium concave stick, and smaller paddles (smaller than the short ones).

The $50 pack is nice for extra options, but it's a bit too pricey and still doesn't have all the specific options I want.

Portman

Thought I lucked out and found one as an open box from Amazon but my luck might have been bad.

Got the controller and besides the debris in the case everything seemed fine. Hooked it up and it didn't want to work when it was on the cable. All it would do is vibrate a few times and then the light would go out. It did this on my PC and my Xbox One. Am I correct in thinking it should work without batteries while using the included cable?

Put batteries in and synced it up and then updated it. Found the app on my Xbox One to config it but I noticed that the right direction of the d-pad doesn't work. I swapped out the pads too and checked without the covers and no luck. :(

I like the feel of it and can see how it would be beneficial to change out the sticks and use the paddles but I'm worried mine might be defective (well besides the obvious d-pad). Can anyone chime in on how it works using the included cable?

I don't think so, which is a shame because I'd like a short (standard length) domed stick as well. I like that the controller comes with options, but they're just not the specific options I'd like. I want a short domed stick,a medium concave stick, and smaller paddles (smaller than the short ones).

The $50 pack is nice for extra options, but it's a bit too pricey and still doesn't have all the specific options I want.

Are there any third-party options yet? If not I hope they come out with some. Maybe we could use an existing third-party option since the sticks pop out? There's stuff like this but it's not ideal, but I may have to buy it if nothing else is available.

To anyone wondering, I was able to answer my second question in my previous post (about SquareTrade) myself--they told me to use Misc. Electronics.

Am I correct in thinking it should work without batteries while using the included cable?

Yes, it should work--it does for me.

Falchion

I started out using my Elite for only multiplayer games but now I just use it for everything. I'm worried that I'm putting a lot of wear on it but it's just so nice to use I can't go back.

jax

Banned
"They shilled out $250 for a controller with half baked functionality, surely they'll drop another $50 on parts they already have painted blue."

Man Microsoft really sucks now. And I like my Elite controller.

Chiggs

I used a ton of Best Buy Reward Zone coupons to purchase one of these last week and my initial impression can be summed up with: That's it?

Some of the responses in this thread indicated that this was truly a step-change with control/interaction, and while this controller is very nice and is definitely superior to the standard controller (and Scuf, in some ways), $149.99 seems like a bit much, Hair triggers are cool and the paddles (sometimes) are nice, but I sort of expected better precision?

Perhaps my expectations were off on this. It's a cool luxury item with a nice carrying case, but I can't say I'm overwhelmed or anything.

DJ_Lae

I used a ton of Best Buy Reward Zone coupons to purchase one of these last week and my initial impression can be summed up with: That's it?

Some of the responses in this thread indicated that this was truly a step-change with control/interaction, and while this controller is very nice and is definitely superior to the standard controller, $149.99 seems like a bit much, Hair triggers are cool and the paddles (sometimes) are nice, but I sort of expected better precision?

Perhaps my expectations were off on this. It's a cool luxury item with a nice carrying case, but I can't say I'm overwhelmed or anything.

The paddles are my main complaint with the controller, as I can only really use one set due to the way I hold it. And even then I will still accidentally flick them off as the magnet isn't particularly strong. And doing that mid-game is really annoying.

I understand why it's priced where it is, and I'm glad I own one, but I guess I don't feel it was completely worth it for me.

The smoothness of the stick movement is the best part.

Chiggs

The paddles are my main complaint with the controller, as I can only really use one set due to the way I hold it. And even then I will still accidentally flick them off as the magnet isn't particularly strong. And doing that mid-game is really annoying.

I understand why it's priced where it is, and I'm glad I own one, but I guess I don't feel it was completely worth it for me.

The smoothness of the stick movement is the best part.

This is where I'm at with me. And yes, the paddles can be really annoying. I still have to try some different configurations, but the only real difference to me in-game were the hair triggers, which do make a difference. Everything else, I'm not sold on the supposed leverage or comfort, but I might change my tune after some more sessions.

purg3

slept with Malkin
$50 is insanity for that shit considering the controller is already $150. Really disappointing. I was hoping sub $30.

I've noticed my right thumb stick kind of lifts up when you pull the stick up... For example if I try to take the stick off the whole cup thing comes up to the plastic shell before the magnet releases.
The other stick doesn't do this.

Doesn't really make a difference during game play but it's annoying.

Top Bottom