• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

The default Gears control scheme seems like the result of not being able to use the right stick and face buttons at the same time. When you roadie run or rev your chainsaw, the right stick goes dead and the left stick swaps from strafing to turning. This is because it's assumed you're using your right thumb on the A button instead of the right stick. Now I have a paddle on the back for A, and don't need to take my thumb off the right stick. The result is that I forget to turn with the left stick instead of the right. I really wish there was an option for the sticks to not change like that when you hit A or B. I also wouldn't mind an option to make roadie run function like sprint in other games (press once to toggle sprint, which turns off if you stop moving momentarily), though I can see how some might see that as a change to the core way the game controls.

Nailed it and yeah, Gears is one of those titles that... well, it's hard to find benefits with an Elite Controller because of it.
I mean, I like at least going-in/out of cover without having to move my right thumb at least.

Nailed it and yeah, Gears is one of those titles that... well, it's hard to find benefits with an Elite Controller because of it.
I mean, I like at least going-in/out of cover without having to move my right thumb at least.

Yeah, I still use paddles for A and B. Even if I don't really need to have my right thumb on the stick during those times, it does feel a bit better to just hit the paddle.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
what do i do gaf if my elite controller trigger isn't working do i call tech support? or can i do it online for a replacement :/

Vuze

In case anyone cares, I continued my fork of the EliteUI app.
Additions in comparison to the original:
  • Builds and works on Windows 10 Anniversary Update
  • Includes support for modifiers / second keys
  • Writes and reads a configuration file for extra comfort
  • Loads last saved configuration at launch
  • Updated look of UI and icons to the Xbox Elite vibe
  • Service Host starts minimized
fl7Qb9q.png

You can grab it here and find more info and install instructions here.

Haines

Banned
Does anyone actually change the way the analog sticks work in the settings?

Its a feature i was most excited for and i dont use it bc i feel oberwhelmed when i try to wrap my head around it.

Its a feature i was most excited for and i dont use it bc i feel oberwhelmed when i try to wrap my head around it.

I use one of the 2 profiles on the controller with the "instant" setting for the right stick. Some games just feel sluggish regardless of what in game setting I use, so I switch to that config for them. I used it for Overwatch until recently when they patched in a better feeling aiming mode.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I've tried it but I never felt like the difference was any different than changing look sensitivity. I know it is indeed different but I just never found it beneficial.

The sensitivity curve stuff won't be noticeable if you're pushing the stick all the way. It's when you're making small adjustments that you'll notice. In Overwatch, I felt like my turn speed was fine when I pressed the stick all the way so I could turn around. It was when trying to do small aiming adjustments that felt unresponsive until I switched to instant.

Like I said though, they patched in a new setting in OW and it feels better with default stick settings.

So I bought the controller on Friday to pair nicely with my TitanFall 2. Thr controller feels amazing in my hands, that is, after I take the paddles off. It feels too cumbersome in my hands. And that's unfortunate as that's a big feature of the controller. I'll give it another day or so before I return it.

I do see why people love the controller though, build quality is insane

So I bought the controller on Friday to pair nicely with my TitanFall 2. Thr controller feels amazing in my hands, that is, after I take the paddles off. It feels too cumbersome in my hands. And that's unfortunate as that's a big feature of the controller. I'll give it another day or so before I return it.

After nearly a year, I still only use 2 paddles. I put the small ones on the bottom slots, pointing downward, and press them with the middle sections of my ring fingers. Trying to do more than 2 paddles feels cumbersome, and trying to press them with my fingertips feels like I'm struggling to hold the controller in a way that doesn't feel natural.

I'd suggest sticking with it. It does take time to get used to but you have to train your mind and hands to hold something different.

In FPS games now I don't use the face buttons at all and use all four paddles.

Arondight

I tried connecting my XB1 elite to XB accessories on PC. Failed to update properly and kind of bricked the thing. I know it's connected as my PC still recognizes it,tried to roll back drivers and uninstall and not quite sure what to do now.

edit: Figured out how to get my controller working again. That was annoying. Basically reupdated the controller on a non windows 10 anniversary PC.

Any advice?

Purchased my Elite controller at launch in the UK, 26th October if memory serves.

Playing Titanfall 2 last night, something went "ping" inside (under the left bumper) and now it no longer works.

MS Support via e-chat said, warranty is up, no replacement sadly. (They were very apologetic)

I'm basically fucked, right? 7 days out of warranty, and it breaks.

(Kinda pissed about it)

Sounder2

Any advice?

Purchased my Elite controller at launch in the UK, 26th October if memory serves.

Playing Titanfall 2 last night, something went "ping" inside (under the left bumper) and now it no longer works.

MS Support via e-chat said, warranty is up, no replacement sadly. (They were very apologetic)

(Kinda pissed about it)

If you have a MS store near you go visit them. They are usually extremely helpful. I've taken many things there out of warranty and they've always been willing to help.

Haines

Banned

You get used to it and it begins to feel natural. I use the left two paddles and the one upper right one.

You absolutely have to train yourself all over again but it's so worth it when you pick up the controller and now you have 3 more inputs all natural without needing to move thumbs.

I like this controller but I too only use two back paddles. Bottom left and bottom right. Bottom left is great for sprinting in Skyrim and TF2. And for bottom right, in Skyrim I use it for jump (much better than the Y button, which is a reach and doesn't feel great), and for TF2 I use it for reload.

I tried to use the upper paddles several times and it's just too much. My fingers want to rest there and it's too hard to keep from pressing them unintentionally.

I also never change the sticks. I use the standard sticks and don't really see a reason to change. I guess the longer sticks are meant for more precise aiming in first-person shooters? Just feels too sensitive for me.

For Skyrim I have it setup as:

the larger right paddle in the top right slot for jump
The larger left paddle in the bottom left slot for crouch/sneak

I also have A and Y swapped in the Skyrim settings.

Smokey

The Elite controller with Gears 4 and the Gears UE preset absolutely enhanced my playing experience. It felt do much better playing with the 4 paddles vs using the road to switch weapons.

For Skyrim I have it setup as:

the larger right paddle in the top right slot for jump
The larger left paddle in the bottom left slot for crouch/sneak

I also have A and Y swapped in the Skyrim settings.

I thought about that, but the A but ("use" or interact) is used so often that switching it to Y doesn't really help. Still have to use the Y button too much.

I thought about that, but the A but ("use" or interact) is used so often that switching it to Y doesn't really help. Still have to use the Y button too much.

When I first booted up Skyrim, "use/interact" was set to Y, and "jump" was set to A.

So I swapped Y and A within Skyrim's settings so that "use/interact" was set to A and "jump" was set to Y.

I then mapped a paddle to Y, so that I could use the paddle for jumping.

Now the actual Y button never gets touched.

When I first booted up Skyrim, "use/interact" was set to Y, and "jump" was set to A.

So I swapped Y and A within Skyrim's settings so that "use/interact" was set to A and "jump" was set to Y.

I then mapped a paddle to Y, so that I could use the paddle for jumping.

Now the actual Y button never gets touched.

Wait what? Y is jump by default. So I don't know why it would have been switched when you first booted it up.

I had the "loose stick" issue with mine for months, and thought it was be design (my PS2/PS3 sticks used to do this), but later found out it ws a manufacturing flaw. Being beyond the warranty period, I decided to try fixing it myself after FX-GMC sent me this guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3tin5n/tech_xbox_one_elite_controller_loose_stick_fix/

Basically amounts to opening the controller up, which is pretty easy, just need a Torx 8 Security/Non-Tamper screw driver (bought a whole set for $12 at the hardware store). Was quick to open up the controller, and then I just tore a cotton ball into pieces and shoved it into the nook of the clicky part of the analog stick, pushed it all back together really firm, put the screws back in, and voila, was fixed.

Took maybe 10 minutes start to finish and now the controller is perfect.

Max_Po

Banned
Any advice?

(Kinda pissed about it)

But did you ask how much would it cost to get it repaired?

You can do it your self if you have a normal controller or try eBay for Replacement bumpers. ???? I am not sure but I have seen replacement joy sticks... like the ones that can be soldered on to the motherboard...

But did you ask how much would it cost to get it repaired?

You can do it your self if you have a normal controller or try eBay for Replacement bumpers. ???? I am not sure but I have seen replacement joy sticks... like the ones that can be soldered on to the motherboard...

Yeah, MS don't do repairs on pads/accessories apparently. :/

Wait what? Y is jump by default. So I don't know why it would have been switched when you first booted it up.
Me either haha. I started a new game straight away and couldn't jump once the scripted section of the tutorial was over, then checked the settings and saw it was set as such lol.

daemissary

I had the "loose stick" issue with mine for months, and thought it was be design (my PS2/PS3 sticks used to do this), but later found out it ws a manufacturing flaw. Being beyond the warranty period, I decided to try fixing it myself after FX-GMC sent me this guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3tin5n/tech_xbox_one_elite_controller_loose_stick_fix/

Basically amounts to opening the controller up, which is pretty easy, just need a Torx 8 Security/Non-Tamper screw driver (bought a whole set for $12 at the hardware store). Was quick to open up the controller, and then I just tore a cotton ball into pieces and shoved it into the nook of the clicky part of the analog stick, pushed it all back together really firm, put the screws back in, and voila, was fixed.

Took maybe 10 minutes start to finish and now the controller is perfect.

Thanks for posting this. I've had this issue once with the right stick and I sent back into MS and now the replacement they sent me is having this issue with both sticks. I might give this a shot this this weekend.

I got mine about 3 weeks now.

I absolutely love the controller, the paddles definitely took some use, and even after 3 weeks forcing myself to only play with them sometimes I still get a brain freeze XD But when it clicks is so much better! Playing Recore using all the paddles is definitely something else, in some intense battles feels like I will go insane lol. I'm adjusting more to them by changing the way I grab the controller, My main point of pressure is my palm, which makes possible to have all the fingers lightly touching the paddles and buttons. It helps that the controller has way less attrition than a regular xbone controller, specially for RB/LB otherwise I think this wouldn't work for me. I also have a chatpad and while it fits the controller perfectly, I do have some difficult typing to it without unintentionally touching a paddle, but I'm still getting used to it.

My only gripe is how the bottom paddles are so big that just resting the controller on the sofa activates them. It's a pain in the ass really, having always to rest the controller on a very flat surface.

I currently have 2 presets: FPS and everything else. Both have the paddles configured as XYAB, but everything else is different.

For the sticks, I'm still experiencing, but right now I'm using the shorter on the left, and the higher on right, coupled with a very intense slow curve. (For fps, for other games it's default on both)

For the triggers, for my fps settings I've set them to only start registering half way through, and also end very quickly. This coupled with the lock to make then sorter allows some rapid firing as I don't have to go all the way back to stop registering the fire. For other games the triggers are full range and I unlock the length also.

I downloaded some community presets, but didn't get to try with them that much, though, there's so little options. Ms should definitely allow us to upload configurations.

I'm really shocked there are this many issues and not a lot of outrage towards microsoft. 90 day warranty is just fucking insane.

I just got mine and the A & B buttons occasionally get stuck when pressed.

The controller feels fantastic, but this is not acceptable for $150. My regular X1 controller feels better due to this.

And I can't return it because my retailer don't think it's an issue. Welp.

Aswitch

Got mine last year with the Elite (when the controller was rare as hell) and could never get used to the paddles, i'm pretty sure i didn't give it enough time. Ended up getting the Gears 4 edition as well (since i got the console to match) so i'm going to take another crack at it. But overall, feel i can't go back now. I just love the build quality of the controller. It feels really great in the hands regardless of using the paddles.

I imagine we'll see a v2 either this summer or just in time for Scorpio.

I'd defintiely agree since There definitely isn't Bluetooth functionality in the Gears 4 Elite controller surprisingly especially considering how it came out after the Xbone S and New Controllers with bluetooth.

Also REALLY hope they make a xbox one Elite controller equivalent of Controller customization that you can make and order. As expensive as it would most likely be, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat! (Like a sucker)

Really Hope Playstation Follows suite soon with their Equivalent of an elite controller. Really yearning for a High quality PS4 controller. Although Modding Xbox One Thumbsticks DO help..... I didn't know i needed one until i was exposed to the Xbox One Elite Controller ;)

Vuze

The Xbox Device app got an update ICYMI (just noticed it because EliteUI wouldn't build anymore lol). Prebuilt configs have now been moved to "Community Configs" sub menu. Kinda funny you can select FFXV on PC ;)

These controllers made me think about the direction Scorpio could go.

With Microsoft having this Elite brand of controller and with Sony going with the "Pro" name for their upgraded console, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft name Scorpio "Xbox Elite" or something like that anyway and it could come with an Elite controller as standard.

Vuze

With Microsoft having this Elite brand of controller and with Sony going with the "Pro" name for their upgraded console, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft name Scorpio "Xbox Elite" or something like that anyway and it could come with an Elite controller as standard.
I'd be surprised and disappointed if Scorpio didn't come with it considering they are aiming to sell it as a premium console. Much like Sony has the plebs OG/Slim and the 'Pro' PS4 - just to a more significant degree.

===

While I'm at it, updated my EliteUI fork again. Now supports trigger vibration (not a lot of games use it, so now you can use the feature for every game where you RT/LT vibration makes sense) and also a dedicated profile manager.
Readme: https://github.com/mhvuze/Elite/tree/non-enhanced-with-config
Release: https://github.com/mhvuze/Elite/releases

gloone

en-INTL-L-XboxOne-Himalaya-Console-Bundle-KG4-00051-mnco.jpg

Heatseeker2

Neo Member
If you have a MS store near you go visit them. They are usually extremely helpful. I've taken many things there out of warranty and they've always been willing to help.

When you've taken stuff into the MS store that is out of warranty should I take the entire package, sticks and accessories with box or just the controller itself.

My left side rubbed grip is starting to bubble after 1 year of heavy use :(.

New002

You get used to it and it begins to feel natural. I use the left two paddles and the one upper right one.

You absolutely have to train yourself all over again but it's so worth it when you pick up the controller and now you have 3 more inputs all natural without needing to move thumbs.

This is what I feel like when I have to play Xbox without my elite controller:
11QE3tR.png

Really does become natural and second-nature over time.

Edit: That's also what it felt like when I started using it :p

Amazon had a Prime deal so I picked one of these up this week. I was really impressed out the gate. Feels great. Weighty. Firm. Everything nice and smooth.

Except for the right analog stick. There's a weird clicking feel/sound when I sweep the stick through about 2 o'clock. If I pull the cap off and run the stick around, it'll go away for a little while, but it comes back pretty quickly.

It doesn't seem to majorly impact functionality, but it's a pretty unpleasant feel in an otherwise super smooth controller. And I don't think it's really out of the question to expect solid quality out of such a pricey device.

Couldn't find anything online and this seems like the most relevant thread...
Anybody know what kind of sshd is in the Xbox one elite? Thinking of removing the sshd from it and putting it into the ps4 pro.

I got mine about 3 weeks now.

I absolutely love the controller, the paddles definitely took some use, and even after 3 weeks forcing myself to only play with them sometimes I still get a brain freeze XD But when it clicks is so much better! Playing Recore using all the paddles is definitely something else, in some intense battles feels like I will go insane lol. I'm adjusting more to them by changing the way I grab the controller, My main point of pressure is my palm, which makes possible to have all the fingers lightly touching the paddles and buttons. It helps that the controller has way less attrition than a regular xbone controller, specially for RB/LB otherwise I think this wouldn't work for me. I also have a chatpad and while it fits the controller perfectly, I do have some difficult typing to it without unintentionally touching a paddle, but I'm still getting used to it.

My only gripe is how the bottom paddles are so big that just resting the controller on the sofa activates them. It's a pain in the ass really, having always to rest the controller on a very flat surface.

I currently have 2 presets: FPS and everything else. Both have the paddles configured as XYAB, but everything else is different.

Had the same problem with the paddles being too sensitive. Solved it by buying some of those foam sticky pads used for furniture feet etc. Cut a small section to size and stick on the bottom of the paddles. Gives much better resistance and paddles dont register when you put the controller down.

Just be sure to get the foam ones and not the felt ones.

If you're in the uk poundstretcher do a set for a quid.

Spasm

Yeah, MS don't do repairs on pads/accessories apparently. :/

Did you ever get sorted out? If not, I was going to say you can repair it yourself.

I bought some replacement bumpers, with tools, for like $6.00 on eBay. It took a little over a week for them to arrive from China, and about ten minutes to swap them out. Other than being black (not silver), I am completely thrilled with how it turned out.

This is my 3rd Elite, BTW. The previous 2 also had a bad left bumper, but died quick enough to get replaced.

Top Bottom