• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

SURGEdude

Getting buttons stuck. I love this controller but I'm already on my 2nd and it's gonna be a 3rd one soon seemingly. Not impressed with the QA going into these bad boys.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
its all ready been a year and a half with this baby :) i just had to customize it all black :p
15057835_10157730622435023_1293261849_n.jpg

sorry about the quality pic.

Had the same problem with the paddles being too sensitive. Solved it by buying some of those foam sticky pads used for furniture feet etc. Cut a small section to size and stick on the bottom of the paddles. Gives much better resistance and paddles dont register when you put the controller down.

Just be sure to get the foam ones and not the felt ones.

If you're in the uk poundstretcher do a set for a quid.

That sounds easy, but I would probably mess something up lol.

DIYing is not really for me, every time I try I end up breaking something XD

Edit: Yeah, even for something as simple as that XD

My last "fix" was to try cleaning my SP3 type cover using alcohol, a brush and a soft cloth. I ended up tearing apart 5 keys from the keyboard :(

Did you ever get sorted out? If not, I was going to say you can repair it yourself.

I bought some replacement bumpers, with tools, for like $6.00 on eBay. It took a little over a week for them to arrive from China, and about ten minutes to swap them out. Other than being black (not silver), I am completely thrilled with how it turned out.

This is my 3rd Elite, BTW. The previous 2 also had a bad left bumper, but died quick enough to get replaced.

Microsoft agreed to replace it.

UPS picked it up to go to Frankfurt today, due back whenever they get around to it. :)

Vuze

My super short, 3D printed paddles came in today! They are just amazing. The regular short paddles were too large for me but these are just perfect. Same comfort, two more paddles to use. Quite a bit pricey since they are indivudally printed and all but already so worth it lol.
Also starring in this out-of-focus shot: sweaty fingerprints

img_0014e2p2l.jpg

Well, crap. I exchanged my controller with Amazon because it had a weird snap/click in the right stick. The replacement I just got back has the exact same problem. I'm really not pleased with the degree of quality control on these things. Strongly questioning whether I want to try to swap it again or just write it off and request a refund.

It's a shame because it feels really nice otherwise.

EmiPrime

Does anyone know which UK retailers offer this with an extended warranty? I don't mind spending £100 on something that will last but the broken bumpers and stick drift has me worried.

A lot of people in here talking about having issues with them, hopefully it's not that widespread. I returned mine after 3 months because of some springy clicking in one of the analog sticks. I then bought a new one and made sure to get an extended warranty, and it has lasted me 9 months with no issues so far.

I picked mine up a few days ago and it's already my favorite controller. I've already set up full on 4 paddle profiles for Halo Reach, Halo 5, Arkham Knight and Final Fantasy XV and it already lets me play all of those games in a way that I couldn't have before. I'm still not used to controllers entirely since I've been playing PC games exclusively for over a year but I'm sure I'll get used to it

I just bought a brand new GoW edition, but these QC concerns have me a bit nervous. It took forever to track down, but y'all have me halfway scared to even bother opening it as its a limited edition, and buying an extended warranty on something that may crap out on me 6 months down the road seems pointless if I can't get a replacement.

Hmmmm, should have thought this through more.

Oynox

It's been some months ago but I actually suggested community layouts for the controller via Xbox Feedback. Apparently they redesigned the app and called layouts like that. Hopefully they will allow real community layouts soon!

_Clash_

Need to give MS some kudos on their service with my Elite. Was frustrated to see my Elite left joystick was loose, sounded like a maracas. It was near new condition, but outside of 90 days.

MS(well, support staff) stood up to the plate and shipped me a replacement when they could have left me to rot.

Good work

etta

my hard graphic balls
What's the likelihood of a white revision to match the S, with Bluetooth and twice the range?
I want to get one but I don't want it in black.

nnarum

Had Best buy price match Costco and man this thing is awesome. Working with just two paddles right now to get used to it.

I don't know about US deals but it's been 99€ a bunch of times in the past weeks here in Germany so I'd assume US had seen better prices.
Got ya, thanks. I've been on the fence for a while so I've been wondering. Best I've seen lately, though I haven't really been looking, was in-store for $99 at Costco ($119 w/ a $20 MIR).

Hm went in to this thread to read how everyone would love this controller, to sway me Into buying one, instead I just see posts with faulty quality hm

Ecto311

Hm went in to this thread to read how everyone would love this controller, to sway me Into buying one, instead I just see posts with faulty quality hm

I have had one for a year or so and never had an issue. I assume it depends on the build and the play style. If you are hard on it and also play demanding games with a bad unit then it fails. Mine I play mostly shooters and a little bit of everything else. Plus my daughter at 7yrs old plays with it and it falls off the back of the couch a ton. Never had a problem other than the back paddles popping off or battery door flying across the floor because of a fall onto our hardwood floor.

So I saw that the Elite controller is 112 on Amazon right now. I have a 30 gift card and I also wanted to add a 4 year Protection Plan. So the total including the 30 dollar gift card would be 98 dollars. Is that a good price and is it worth it?

I paid 150 for my elite over 6 months ago and it was the best purchase I've made this gen.

I make profiles for every game I play.
I use the paddles as extra buttons with no hesitation. Using the right paddle for jump is now universally in my muscle memory for every game.

I want to train my brain to use 4 paddles instead of two.

We should all start sharing our profiles for different games!

I paid 150 for my elite over 6 months ago and it was the best purchase I've made this gen.

I use the paddles as extra buttons with no hesitation. Using the right paddle for jump is now universally in my muscle memory for every game.

I kinda went on a default assignment where my Left paddle is A (always jump usually) and my right paddle is B. So im a bit opposite of you where my left paddle is where i always pull to jump. heh

Yep. I use a right paddle for Jump in every game that has jump mechanics. For Destiny, a left paddle used for sliding. It's fundamentally changed the game for me since having the controller.

DirtyLarry

Anyone else having an issue where the XBox One S is reporting the batteries are low on the Elite controller even after replacing the batteries with brand new ones? Is there a trick or some shit I need to do to stop it from saying the batteries are low?

Literally the one and only issue I have had with the controller and it is a minor issue at that. Just odd and wondering if it is dying or something.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Thought my kids broke my elite. No matter what I tried my bumpers didn't work. Only after reentering the config app did I realize you can instantly disable re enable by double tapping the green connection button up top. Whew

DirtyLarry

Anyone else having an issue where the XBox One S is reporting the batteries are low on the Elite controller even after replacing the batteries with brand new ones? Is there a trick or some shit I need to do to stop it from saying the batteries are low?

Literally the one and only issue I have had with the controller and it is a minor issue at that. Just odd and wondering if it is dying or something.
Apparently someone in my household was putting used old batteries in the new battery pack. Third time's the charm and I had a full battery again and even better, rumble was back. I did not even realize it was off due to the battery being low

Spasm

I kinda went on a default assignment where my Left paddle is A (always jump usually) and my right paddle is B. So im a bit opposite of you where my left paddle is where i always pull to jump. heh
Halo 5:
Left index = jump (LB) and grenade (RT)
Left middle = thruster pack
Left ring = crouch
Left stick click = sprint
Right index = melee (RB) and fire (RT)
Right middle = switch weapon
Right ring = reload / activate
Right stick click = zoom

Face buttons are all deactivated, forcing me to use the paddles.

I've gotten so used to this, I can't play without the Elite. Sucked when the bumpers died, and it took nearly two weeks to get replacements from China.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Any easy way to buy two tall concave sticks, or two short convex ones? The whole idea of there being a market for modular parts for this thing seems to be a wash.

Any easy way to buy two tall concave sticks, or two short convex ones? The whole idea of there being a market for modular parts for this thing seems to be a wash.

Yeah I was hoping I'd be able to buy one stick or one paddle if I wanted. Instead it's all sold it packs that have 4+ items so they can charge more.

RoKKeR

Man, this thing has absolutely spoiled me haha. Was playing with a regular controller the other day in BF1 for a bit and was having the hardest time with aiming. I've been using the long RS option, and I've just gotten so used to the longer travel and smoother movement. I'm sure I'd readjust after a bit but it really makes a big difference.

Such a worthwhile investment.

Spasm

I would like to get my hands on middle-length concave sticks. The pack-in mids are my favorite length, but I hate the convex hat.

I hate using mine purely because I'm afraid I'm going to either break it or wear away at the grip padding until it comes off, lol. It's a beautiful controller, immense really. Just worried going forward. Also concerned my a button might keep sticking which would piss me off.

In case anyone cares, I continued my fork of the EliteUI app.
Additions in comparison to the original:
  • Builds and works on Windows 10 Anniversary Update
  • Includes support for modifiers / second keys
  • Writes and reads a configuration file for extra comfort
  • Loads last saved configuration at launch
  • Updated look of UI and icons to the Xbox Elite vibe
  • Service Host starts minimized

You can grab it here and find more info and install instructions here.

Thank you. :)

Short stick on left, long stick on right.

Upper left paddle, run
Lower left paddle, reload
Upper right paddle, jump
Lower right paddle, crouch, vault etc

Except for gears where reload is right bumper. In which case I use lower left for weapon switch after changing settings to single button press for weapon switch

That sounds easy, but I would probably mess something up lol.

DIYing is not really for me, every time I try I end up breaking something XD

Edit: Yeah, even for something as simple as that XD

My last "fix" was to try cleaning my SP3 type cover using alcohol, a brush and a soft cloth. I ended up tearing apart 5 keys from the keyboard :(

You literally just cut a small piece of sticker and stick it on the bottom of the paddle lol.

Works a treat.

ParityBit

I just picked one up and have only used it in FH3. It feels so comfortable! I am hoping to try it within Gears (Finished just before I got it) and when I get TF2.

Got an elite on release day and I love it but the sticks are really loose now. The left one is so bad I can't type at all on the on screen keyboard with my conttoller. It just randomly clicks back and forth between upper and lowercase and moves to different letters by itself.

Justinh

So I saw this yesterday on siftd:
Xbox One Elite Controller gets new, exclusive accessories from Scuf Gaming

I am so accustomed to the "quadrants" of paddles now, that a row of paddles really seems unappealing to me. I just think it would be easier to get confused with them in a row and really like how my middle and ring fingers naturally rest on the paddles now. The grips actually perked my interest, though since I need to figure out how I'm going to fix my peeling left rubber grip "panel."

Top Bottom