• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

amdb00mer

Just curious. Has anybody here using an Elite controller been reported/accused for cheating, simply because it made you better in a game?

amdb00mer

I've often been reported for cheating, I'm just that good, but no action has been taken against me.

I got reported last night in Titanfall 2. I kept killing the same dude over and over during while playing Skirmish matches. On one match I went 16 and 1. Next thing I know I got reported by the guy. I'm like WTF?!? Dude needs to chill or learn to play better.

I'm average at competitive games, not great. I've never been reported for cheating, with or without the elite. For me the elite is more of a comfort and convenience thing. I enjoy the ability to customize things, but I don't feel like it gives me a competitive edge. It might allow me to do something easier (complicated things like slide+shotgun+melee in Destiny), but it doesn't allow me to do things that I can't do with a regular controller.

Dabanton

Was very tempted to get one of these today. But MS must be close to putting out a newish version right?

Think I'll wait till after E3.

I'm still having the config saving issues with the Xbox Accessories App but while looking into third party solutions to the paddles, I found two:

1. Someone wrote a custom UWP that has to be compiled, signed, installed by the user and allows specific remapping of the paddles into keyboard keys.
http://shawnquereshi.com/2017/02/binding-the-elite-controller-paddles-to-the-keyboard-redux/

2. Daemon Tools has made a replacement application called reWASD that does what the XA app does but more, including mapping keyboards keys to the paddles.
http://www.rewasd.com/map-xbox-elite

I got the first installed and it works as advertised. It adds on top of the usual paddle inputs so if you don't want double input you have to save a config to the controller that has the paddles unmapped. This app has to remain open for it to work.

I also installed the second and it seems to work and saves multiple configs just fine for me. The UI can sometimes be a little unclear about what is currently saved in the controller but it's easy enough to make sure by applying the specific configs to the slots you want before closing the app. Unlike the first, this can be closed and the keyboard mappings still hold (a background service manages this I'm sure). This one also has deadzone settings for the sticks and can map any keyboard/mouse output to the controller.

Vuze

I'm still having the config saving issues with the Xbox Accessories App but while looking into third party solutions to the paddles, I found two:

1. Someone wrote a custom UWP that has to be compiled, signed, installed by the user and allows specific remapping of the paddles into keyboard keys.
http://shawnquereshi.com/2017/02/bin...eyboard-redux/

2. Daemon Tools has made a replacement application called reWASD that does what the XA app does but more, including mapping keyboards keys to the paddles.
http://www.rewasd.com/map-xbox-elite

I got the first installed and it works as advertised. It adds on top of the usual paddle inputs so if you don't want double input you have to save a config to the controller that has the paddles unmapped. This app has to remain open for it to work.

I also installed the second and it seems to work and saves multiple configs just fine for me. The UI can sometimes be a little unclear about what is currently saved in the controller but it's easy enough to make sure by applying the specific configs to the slots you want before closing the app. Unlike the first, this can be closed and the keyboard mappings still hold (a background service manages this I'm sure). This one also has deadzone settings for the sticks and can map any keyboard/mouse output to the controller.
reWASD looks great! Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

Laiza

Just got my own elite controller. Refurbished for $105. Pretty sweet deal, I think.

It really does feel quite a bit nicer just to hold than the normal XB1 controller. That being said, the paddles feel really awkward to me and I'm wondering how long it'll take for me to work them into my muscle memory. It's especially rough because the way I hold the controller normally means I accidentally depress a paddle every so often, which totally throws me off.

Gonna have to spend some time with this one, I think.

jayvo

Just got my own elite controller. Refurbished for $105. Pretty sweet deal, I think.

It really does feel quite a bit nicer just to hold than the normal XB1 controller. That being said, the paddles feel really awkward to me and I'm wondering how long it'll take for me to work them into my muscle memory. It's especially rough because the way I hold the controller normally means I accidentally depress a paddle every so often, which totally throws me off.

Gonna have to spend some time with this one, I think.

There's just a bit of a learning curve with the controller. But once you get past the initial shock of the paddles, then it becomes the best controller ever.

So one of the buttons on my old controller has crapped out on me and I'm really thinking of picking this up considering the games I'm playing right now, Overwatch and Titanfall, kinda feel awkward at times to play with a standard controller.

Two questions, do we know if this will end up working with scorpio? What about a design refresh, E3 is in a couple of months, do we think Microsoft will incorporate something significant in the future?

MrBlonde

I just got one of these this past week, beautiful controller, quality and feel is great but getting used to the paddles is harder then I thought and will take some time. Mainly bought it for Infinite Warfare but will be good for other games also.

I'm sure it will be compatible with Scorpio, it better be.

Well, after 106 days of use (since Christmas) the P1 button stopped clicking. It still registers, but no click and therefore feels awful.

Talked to XBox chat support and was told the warranty could be extended if I found the receipt. Found the receipt, clicked the link to talk to the same agent again— and waited and waited and clicked it again and got a different agent— to be told no dice.

Very infuriating that the warranty is only 90 days and that the agents are unable or unwilling to keep customers happy (three consoles and eight controllers and two 10-year XBL subscriptions... c'mon).

There may be a new warranty policy in the pipe? The agent said he had two Elite controllers that he was waiting to get fixed if the warranty period were extended. Not sure I'll hold my breath— feels a lot like Apple retail employees knowing about rumoured products— they read the same websites I do.

Pjsprojects

Sorry to thread barge but anyone know if Scuff thumb sticks can be replaced with Elite thumb sticks?
I have a Scuff that is the same spec as an Elite controller but the thumb sticks are worn out.

SRTtoZ

Go to https://myservice.xbox.com and look under "Replace an accessory". After a few screens you should get you to one that lets you order whatever parts you want for an Xbox Elite Controller.

Am I crazy or does this not work anymore? Back when I posted in this thread I could order new sticks or paddles but now I can't find the option anymore. I really hope MS didnt remove it.

Nevermind I found it. You have to create a repair order for your Xbox One and then choose accessories and then Elite Controller and then it will give you options to order new items like thumbsticks or paddles and it even has the different colored ones for the Gears Elite Controller. So yea, 20 bucks for a new set of every thumbstick, not too bad IMO. I'm happy because mine are a bit worn :)

OrangeOak

After one month of use my left bumper broke completely. I thought that something that expensive will last longer than this. I am so disappointed by this thing. I googled it an I see I am not the only one with bumper problem and people say that MS will not fix this under a warranty.
I tried to register it on MS site but only option I see is to buy accessories. Do I need to chat with support or what to try and send it to them?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
After one month of use my left bumper broke completely. I thought that something that expensive will last longer than this. I am so disappointed by this thing. I googled it an I see I am not the only one with bumper problem and people say that MS will not fix this under a warranty.
I tried to register it on MS site but only option I see is to buy accessories. Do I need to chat with support or what to try and send it to them?

Definitely begin by trying to get a replacement, maybe from where you bought it, but if that fails it's an easy and fairly cheap fix. Search this thread for my posts for info or search YouTube for how tos and Amazon for parts

Zousi

Had that same problem with a broken bumber, but managed to fix that pretty easily with a new replacement part that i ordered through ebay. Had to be done and it didn't cost too much. There are videos on youtube how to do this.

OrangeOak

Thanks for reply. First I will try to get a replacement in store where I bought it.
If it fails then I will try to fix it if it is so easy.
Bumpers in all Xbox One controllers are terribly designed in my opinion. Every click makes that plastic fatigue. They shouldn't be connected like this.
It's a shame because it is best game pad I have ever used.

El Txou

I've often been reported for cheating, I'm just that good, but no action has been taken against me.

Quick question, how do you know if you've been reported? On the 360 they gave you some stats on the percentage that avoided you etc. But I can't find any of that on the Xbox One.

The rubber grip from mine has a bubble and it's now peeling off T-T

I also think my analog sticks have a malfunction, the ones from my controller get lose of you turn the controller upside down, but I tested other 2 elite controllers that doesn't do that. It's not annoying or anything, but sometimes they click, I'm worried they might stop working eventually.

MS have uploaded a new Elite Controller to their official Xbox channel on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/kkPN55JNQnY

It contains series of brief commentators talking about the controller, it's features, and some footage from Forza Horizon 3, Gears, and Overwatch.

Incoming new push for the Elite Controller?

I got mine day one and still absolutely love it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Copy and paste from the halo thread, FYI

Replacing my elite's bumpers for the second time and there are these little plastic nubs on the silver plastic surrounding the power button that hold the bumpers in place that broke when I removed the bumpers. Now my new bumpers slide around ever so slightly, which is leading to quite a few miss registering melees, and jumps (I play bumper jumper). When I first reassembled it id go into full 100% ground pound charge up any time I jumped. Now I've figured out that if I press almost straight down near the tips of the bumpers it works 99% of the time - just got to retrain my brain on how to hold and use it. Still fucked. Word of caution to anyone else doing repairs...

So I've had my Elite controller for about a year now or so, but here in the last few months my right analog stick has developed an upward drift and it's extremely annoying.

A part of me is tempted to just go out and re-buy a new one, but at 150 it's really tough to justify just dropping down that money just for a new controller.

For some context, the only game I really play right now is Halo 5 multiplayer competitively, and an Elite controller gives a huge edge and makes a giant difference. Being able to sprint, crouch, jump and thrust without giving up the ability to move the reticule simultaneously is definitely a game changer.

I really don't want to go back to a standard Xbox controller as I've adjusted to playing with the paddles and love the amount of control the Elite pad gives.

Did MS improve the build quality on these? Should I just drop another 150 on another Elite? Or should I consider getting a SCUF or other comparable? Traditionally, I avoid any third party controllers though as they almost never feel as good from an ergonomic perspective.

I don't really want to drop another 150 if I'm just going to have another controller with stick drift within a year...

Defect

So I've had my Elite controller for about a year now or so, but here in the last few months my right analog stick has developed an upward drift and it's extremely annoying.

A part of me is tempted to just go out and re-buy a new one, but at 150 it's really tough to justify just dropping down that money just for a new controller.

For some context, the only game I really play right now is Halo 5 multiplayer competitively, and an Elite controller gives a huge edge and makes a giant difference. Being able to sprint, crouch, jump and thrust without giving up the ability to move the reticule simultaneously is definitely a game changer.

I really don't want to go back to a standard Xbox controller as I've adjusted to playing with the paddles and love the amount of control the Elite pad gives.

Did MS improve the build quality on these? Should I just drop another 150 on another Elite? Or should I consider getting a SCUF or other comparable? Traditionally, I avoid any third party controllers though as they almost never feel as good from an ergonomic perspective.

I don't really want to drop another 150 if I'm just going to have another controller with stick drift within a year...
Contact them on live chat and they'll give you a replacement for free. I got mine yesterday

brawly

I go tall rounded on the left and tall concave on right.

thats-good.gif

I had been using the normal sticks. Gamechanger.

I like to use the tall one for the right stick.

With the delay/slow curve it's awesome for quick twitching and still maintain high precision.

Slow curve meaning what? Bar all the way to the right?

thats-good.gif

I had been using the normal sticks. Gamechanger.

Slow curve meaning what? Bar all the way to the right?

I forgot what was the name, but it's the delay curve on this image:

I actually made the delay even stronger, this allows me to even more grossly movements on the right stick to have a greater precision, you pretty much have to go all the way to move fast.

I found this and the tall stick the best combo. I can aim precisely without having to barely move the stick (it is specially difficult for me to keep the force down in the heat of the moment, specially when I'm using the paddles), but at the same time with the taller stick I can easily move all the way through and enjoy all the speed, so it's also nice when you need to move fast.

Just another update.. I talked to Xbox Support Live Chat and got my launch Elite controller replaced for free.

Does anyone know if the model # changed at some point? My Elite is Model #1698.

At some point the left stick "ball" became dislodged and loose. When I asked about it, they said the grip they put on the detachable sticks was "too good" and caused the issue, and was fixed sometime down the road. It still works, but the left stick was way too loose. I was lazy and never got around to replacing it.

Very nice to see them replace something almost 2+ years old free of charge. I almost bought a refurb online.

I've not been in this thread really since I got mine but I just want to say these things are fucking trash. For a controller with a price tag in triple digits there's some huge oversights on these things. Firstly I've had to replace mine 3 times now, all because they decided it would be a fantastic idea for the shoulder buttons only support to be the stem it sits on, with nothing inside to act as a cutoff point when pressing them down and easily breakable.

My fourth one now and the Dpad was broken from the get go and I just can't even be bothered to replace it since I know the shoulder button will give way...again. All it would take is a small lip around the inside and the fact nobody has considered this on the design team is outright pathetic. Replacements take a long as time too since the local store can hardly get a hold of them due to having to replace them all the time.

Problem is other than that the controller feels great, but my god they're built like shit.

the right bumper keeps popping off mine and the left grip is almost totally off. How do I contact MS to get a replacement? I tried calling 1-800-4my-xbox but they couldnt help me.

My elite controller I bought on launch ended up getting terrible drift on the left stick so I bought another one since the warranty was up. Do you guys think Microsoft would do anything for my original elite at this point?

FinKL

I had to go through 3 reps but they offered to replace it free of charge. Exact same problem, looks like I got a new replacement but I'm scared the drift might happen again if it's all launch window controllers
1st rep was down to replace free of charge BUT s/he forgot to make an order # and I assume I would get an email in a few days, I never did and the 2nd rep could not find that this conversation happened weird (keep your chat logs and order#!) 3rd rep wanted pictures but they still offered to replace it free of charge even though I bought it close to launch. So thanks MS for the good customer service! Never had a problem with a controller except the most expensive one ironic huh

I had to go through 3 reps but they offered to replace it free of charge. Exact same problem, looks like I got a new replacement but I'm scared the drift might happen again if it's all launch window controllers
1st rep was down to replace free of charge BUT s/he forgot to make an order # and I assume I would get an email in a few days, I never did and the 2nd rep could not find that this conversation happened weird (keep your chat logs and order#!) 3rd rep wanted pictures but they still offered to replace it free of charge even though I bought it close to launch. So thanks MS for the good customer service! Never had a problem with a controller except the most expensive one ironic huh

I also had the drift but I fixed it. I never called microsoft because at that point I had it for over 3 months and people on reddit told me that microsoft didn't help them.

So I did something drastic, that helped me. I DON'T RECOMMEND OTHER PEOPLE TO DO THIS BECAUSE IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU.

I took the controller apart and removed the plastic ring around the analog stick and shaved the sides off to make it bigger.

Here is an image.

vZpvgO5.jpg

I didn't do the greatest job sanding it off so it looks a little janky. But the feel contrary to what it looks is very smooth and It got rid of the drifting. I liked it so much that I did it for the other analog stick too even though that one wasn't drifting. lol

My grips are coming off as well. Contacted support but they said I'll have to pay to have it repaired since the warranty is only 1 year and I bought it the day it came out

Should I just keep trying reps? Lol

Top Left Paddle - Run
Bottom Left Paddle - Change grenade type

Top Right Paddle - Jump
Bottom Right paddle - Thrust

I also use the Elite controller on my PC (for Witcher 3). I can't remember the profile I have set up for it, but it also worked well. You don't realize how often you take your thumbs off of the sticks in games until you have the paddles available to you.

What's your setup for witcher 3 on the PC?

Novocaine

My elite controller I bought on launch ended up getting terrible drift on the left stick so I bought another one since the warranty was up. Do you guys think Microsoft would do anything for my original elite at this point?

Honestly no harm in trying. I got a replacement after having mine for over a year after it broke, no questions asked sans a receipt check.

brawly

Do the buttons, sticks and triggers get more loose over time? As it is right now it's really uncomfortable to play especially going back to my old controller.

hwalker84

Need special elites. I want another elite but buying another till either they release a special edition or update to the Bluetooth version.

Oynox

Need special elites. I want another elite but buying another till either they release a special edition or update to the Bluetooth version.

They really need to add Bluetooth with the next iteration. Hopefully there is a new iteration coming though :(

Got my replacement Elite today.

Brand new in box.

Had to mail back the body of my launch Elite, they let you keep the sticks and accessories, which is nice I guess. Now I have a backup set.

They did ask for my console serial #, as the repair order seems tied to it. Same thing happened with the Kinect adapter for Xbox One S. I slacked on sending it back, but once I did the turn around was pretty quick.

I appreciate getting a brand new replacement for my almost 2-year old controller.

If anyone else is having issues with the launch model, I'd keep trying reps. I didn't have a receipt or anything.

Outrun

Got my replacement Elite today.

Brand new in box.

Had to mail back the body of my launch Elite, they let you keep the sticks and accessories, which is nice I guess. Now I have a backup set.

They did ask for my console serial #, as the repair order seems tied to it. Same thing happened with the Kinect adapter for Xbox One S. I slacked on sending it back, but once I did the turn around was pretty quick.

I appreciate getting a brand new replacement for my almost 2-year old controller.

If anyone else is having issues with the launch model, I'd keep trying reps. I didn't have a receipt or anything.

I got mine back a couple of weeks ago.

Great customer service.

Top Bottom