• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

What are you guys having them replaced for?

The left stick ball thing(TM) on mine popped "up and down" like it wasn't secured properly. Happened after a while and I just kind of lived with it. But I eventually just stopped really using it and didn't bother calling since it was well past the 90 days.

After talking to some of the MS people at E3 they said to just contact support and they'd take care of it, and sure enough they did.

Spasm

I'm looking to desolder the analog stick assembly and replacing it, to fix drift. I'm up for a good challenge. Looks like the replacement parts are on eBay for $3-$5 bucks, but they don't specify Elite. Has anyone tried this?

Are the xbox accessory app completely borked for anyone else?

I try to upload a config to the console and it just create a generic Config 1 and then 2. I can edit those as the way I like, but every now and then it loses some set up (mostly the right stick that completely forgets how I set it up) and I have to create a new one again and start over from scratch.

Got my replacement last week. Basically no questions asked when I contacted support again, though I think the agent looked up the previous conversations I had in April with them about it.

What are you guys having them replaced for?

One of the paddle buttons stopped clicking. The left stick started drifting towards the end, but that's not why I contacted them at first.

GECK

Not sure if I'm just lucky or the support guy I talked to hooked me up. But I sent my faulty day 1 controller with everything removed for RMA and I received a brand new one about a week later, including a new box/case/removable parts and everything. Which is fucking great as my previous sticks were waning.

Not sure if I'm just lucky or the support guy I talked to hooked me up. But I sent my faulty day 1 controller with everything removed for RMA and I received a brand new one about a week later, including a new box/case/removable parts and everything. Which is fucking great as my previous sticks were waning.

Did you call or chat online?

m23

Same with me. I just filled in the online form and stuff, was very surprised to get a whole new package.

I wasn't so lucky with online chat. My handle grips were coming off and I contacted the online service to see if I could get official replacements (which you can't). I was offered to trade my controller for free if I had a purchase proof, which was ebay... They didn't accept it. Everything was great until that part (their customer service was really good)

Then I went to a physical store and without asking for proof of purchase they just gave me a new one. It took less than 10 minutes. I don't know if anyone is having trouble with online customer service but try going to a physical store (at least in the US).

DKqIgKQX0AAtTni.jpg:large

that's an elite controller

https://scufgaming.com/eu/scuf-forza-elite-controller

Sorry if this has been asked before but what revision is the elite controller based on?

I assume the first revision with the audio jack and no bluetooth? Is the ergonomics the same between the elite and the first revision(Audio jack and no bluetooth)

My right thumb had problems on the new S controller revision. Feels like its being stretched a bit more than before. So hoping it's not the same as the elite.

Sorry if this has been asked before but what revision is the elite controller based on?

I assume the first revision with the audio jack and no bluetooth? Is the ergonomics the same between the elite and the first revision(Audio jack and no bluetooth)

My right thumb had problems on the new S controller revision. Feels like its being stretched a bit more than before. So hoping it's not the same as the elite.

correct
the "S controller" are the second revision

Will MS replace my controller if the left thumbstick can freely move up and down? It's hard to explain but it's loose.

Doesn't necessarily cause drift or affect gameplay, though.

edit: d'oh!
The left stick ball thing(TM) on mine popped "up and down" like it wasn't secured properly. Happened after a while and I just kind of lived with it. But I eventually just stopped really using it and didn't bother calling since it was well past the 90 days.

After talking to some of the MS people at E3 they said to just contact support and they'd take care of it, and sure enough they did.

correct
the "S controller" are the second revision

Fantastic, thanks! Can't seem to find the first revision anywhere, so thought I'd get the Elite then instead. My thumb just feels so stretched on the S controller for some reason.

Can anyone confirm that there was a design change, even a slight one for the S controller?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
After having this controller now for over a year and using it only on Windows 8 I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and for the first time was able to use the app to configure this controller....

Holy mother of god.... Now I know why they say this controller is supposed to be for pro gamers.

Shame it has no Bluetooth though. Well, luckily the adapter is only 20 bucks so ...

Fantastic, thanks! Can't seem to find the first revision anywhere, so thought I'd get the Elite then instead. My thumb just feels so stretched on the S controller for some reason.

Can anyone confirm that there was a design change, even a slight one for the S controller?
The chassis for the S controller is the same as before only molded in one plastic part, rather than the extra two part design around the Xbox logo snd light. The only difference is the back has a slightly rugged plastic feel for better grip (not the rubber from the Elite or Forza 6 controller though).

I think you are imagining the stretch, there's no difference in width or height.

I think you are imagining the stretch, there's no difference in width or height.

I honestly thought I was until I read this PCworld review
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3109702/consumer-electronics/xbox-one-s-controller-review-new-features-and-custom-colors-make-for-a-great-successor.html

The controller's overall shape has been slightly tweaked for a more ergonomic grip.

Might be holding the S controller in a slightly different way than the others. So might just not be use to it

I honestly thought I was until I read this PCworld review
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3109702/consumer-electronics/xbox-one-s-controller-review-new-features-and-custom-colors-make-for-a-great-successor.html

Might be holding the S controller in a slightly different way than the others. So might just not be use to it

Yeah, I haven't at least noticed anything and I use my controllers a lot. I swap between the previous model and the S ones alot too. Grip feels the same to me, except the differences in rubberized, rugged and smooth backs to the various controllers I have.

Klocker

Will MS replace my controller if the left thumbstick can freely move up and down? It's hard to explain but it's loose.

Doesn't necessarily cause drift or affect gameplay, though.

edit: d'oh!

yep chatted with support last night and explained the same situation with mine. (right stick for me however)

i think it's been over a year since purchase but they made me wait and be very patient and slowly but surely they got around to saying they will send me a replacement controller. arriving friday

the popping up and down stick must be a common issue
they said it was still under warranty but I am not sure

being chill and just asking for help and not demanding anything seems to help

Are they making you guys send your original controller back before they'll ship the new one?

Pretty obnoxious to be without any Elite controller for several weeks.

Johnohno

Has anybody from the UK had theirs replaced out of warranty? I tried going through chat who referred me to the hardware team. They said they have no free replacement offers in the UK.

Mine has the same issue as most people. Both sides grips have come off and the left thumb stick is incredibly loose. Quite poor after only 15 months use.

I had this same problem and fixed it using a cotton ball and about ~10 mins of effort surprisingly. I had just lived with it because it never got in the way but then one day a YouTube video popped up in my feed about how to fix it, and it was surprisingly easy.

If anybody else has this problem and wants to fix it on their own:

You need a torque X security screw driver (~$6 at my local hardware store) and some cotton balls (pack of 50 for like $2, or if you paint your nails or live with someone who does, you should have some). It'll void your warranty but was really easy to repair and mine's been going strong for about a year since fixing it.

Basically you disassemble the plastic around the controller (theres like 8 screws if I remember correctly), popping off the face plate, and then take you stuff some cotton material around the metal piece for the stick, and then push the plastic piece back onto the stick with some cotton ball pieces. It basically just makes the grip tighter on the plastic topper for the stick so that ti doesn't pop up and down and stays snug. Re-assmble it and it should be good. While I was at it I used some alcohol to clean the bumpers and triggers.

You shouldn't *have* to do this for an "Elite" expensive controller but if you do have this problem and don't want to ship it back it was a quick fix for me. THe only real cost was the Torque X screw driver, I had to buy one at my local hardware store and bought the universal one that has multiple fittings. I think it was a Torque X s6 or s7 size. A universal one will do the trick and the YouTube videos of fixing it will tell the right size.

Ultimadrago

I was using my controller for Cuphead recently and noticed that when recoiling from a left flick or twitch, there's a chance the game registers my character to the right anyways. Not sure if I just need to control the stick more or if it's an Elite defect.

Are they making you guys send your original controller back before they'll ship the new one?

Pretty obnoxious to be without any Elite controller for several weeks.

Yeah, they keep telling me to ship the original controller before I could get a new one, even after pushing the issue.

SRTtoZ

It looks like THIS thread was right.

I've always had an issue with my left stick going right sometimes (if I press my analog left and then let go of it the character I'm playing as will turn right quickly). I't wasn't ever a big deal until I started playing Cuphead today. As you know Cuphead requires very precise movements so I noticed while fighting bosses I would die because I would be shooting one way and then all of a sudden he would change directions. ANNOYING as fuck. I knew I was out of warranty but what the hell I gave it a shot and had no issues. The person on chat was great, very nice, helpful and all she asked for was a proof of purchase which I supplied a screenshot from my Best Buys order history. The best part is I don't even have to send it back. Its a perfectly usable Elite Controller with a minor issue that I hardly notice in most games. They are sending me a replacement right away. Until then I'll just play Cuphead with the dpad. She said something about the controller might be a different color based on their stock. I had no idea they even had other colors. Anyway, color me excited.

Sizzle55

Had to order a replacement today, right trigger is squeaking and feels like the spring is cooked gotten progressively worse. I am in Australia anyone know of the turn around time for the replacement? Do you get a new one or a refurb? I had to register the console serial number was a pretty easy process.

Can anyone tell me how the dpad on the Elite is?

I'm going to buy one in the week but I totally forgot about checking up on the dpad, especially for games like Ori and Cuphead.

Thanks

Had to order a replacement today, right trigger is squeaking and feels like the spring is cooked gotten progressively worse. I am in Australia anyone know of the turn around time for the replacement? Do you get a new one or a refurb? I had to register the console serial number was a pretty easy process.
Came here to post that I received my Elite replacement for the thumbstick issue (which I had to pay $11 for shipping and be without a controller for a week) and the one I got works fine but I can tell it's a refurb. When I view it on X1 it says someone else's name as the controller name. Pretty lame.

Sizzle55

Came here to post that I received my Elite replacement for the thumbstick issue (which I had to pay $11 for shipping and be without a controller for a week) and the one I got works fine but I can tell it's a refurb. When I view it on X1 it says someone else's name as the controller name. Pretty lame.
Ah man that sucks! I have not got mine back yet will let you know how I go! No idea why you had to pay $11 postage? I got a reply paid in an email, seems odd. Agree with you that your experience was very ordinary.

Update: Got mine back today seems like a refurb but it's in perfect condition! Was hoping for a boxed one but just happy to have it back. Didn't realise how used to it I had become.

Sizzle55

Sorry for the double post! My second elite has done the same thing right trigger is squeaking and creeping like hell sending it back! Anyone else had it happen?

LazyGuysStudio

Neo Member
I fell in love with this controller when I saw it for the first time. When I look at the back of this controller I instantly think of supercars. Am I the only one?

It looks nice, but that paddle placement is still the same terrible scuff style. The MS Elite controller paddle placement is what everyone else should copy. It's unbeatable IMO.

Yeah, it's my main gripe with SCUF and others, the MS paddles are the best position for pretty much everything.

Also:
Retails for $299.95

lolno

It looks nice, but that paddle placement is still the same terrible scuff style. The MS Elite controller paddle placement is what everyone else should copy. It's unbeatable IMO.

IMO the MS paddles are perfect once you order an extra set so you've got 4 short paddles. They should really ditch the longer bottom ones for 4 shorts.

Top Bottom