• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox fans, do you wish the 1/1S were retired?

sn0man

Pretty simple. It feels like MS now will have the more powerful system twice in a row (Xbox one X, now Xbox series x). Yet I feel like this spanning generations plan was conceived of a time when MS was still hurting from the xbone and xboneS being inferior hardware to the PS4 amateur.

Does it make sense for MS to announce that the new base console is the X1x and let it price drop to $299 and then bring in the XSX for $450? All the 2 years of cross platform could be 2 years of X1x forward compatible with XSX software. That way developers could focus a bit on only two platforms instead of 3.5 systems.

thoughts? Should the average xbone/S gamer hope for all titles, or should we cut them loose?

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Xbox One is already discontinued. They discontinued it when the Xbox One S came out.

Both the Xbox One S and Xbox One X will be discontinued when the Series X/Lockhart come out.

There's no reason for MS to keep the older hardware in the channel with newer hardware that's fully compatible with all of the software.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Would prefer a cleaner generational move, like what Sony is doing, and I hope it doesnt impact high-end visuals, but at the same time, I'm intrigued. By both this, and Xcloud.

The Microsoft approach seems to be to cast a net as wide as possible, and I'm fascinated to see what it catches.

Yea dump them. I can still kinda agree with Halo Infinite being cross-gen because as a X1 owner it doesn't feel fair that I bought a Xbox console without a single good Halo game, but beyond that cut last gen off.

Yes, they need to go. And I am a gamer and own everything and play everything. But I do believe they need to be retired.

With PS5 coming out as well, I think PS4 Pro is the only one that needs to stay as well.

jigglet

Banned
I don't see how supporting the previous gen is going to hold games back. Did anyone remember COD Ghosts? COD looked GREAT on PS3 / 360 until the next gen consoles came out, then Ghosts looked like ass on PS3 / 360. It's like they just gave up.

Just like how COD went from looking great to ass, there's no reason why devs won't do the same. Just because 1 and 1s are still supported doesn't mean devs will give two fucks about making them look good and optimising them. I think people will be surprised at how bad some games will look on 1 and 1s even compared to existing games, not next gen ones.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I don't understand why I would care if the Xbox one is still supported. When the big first party games start hitting in 2 to 3 years, they will be exclusive to next gen machines. It's not any different than any other console launch.

I can launch a game on my Xbox one and fly across a literal Galaxy (NMS). I just don't or can't comprehend a gameplay experience I am going to be missing out on because MS first party made a game and had a compatible variant for Xbox one.

Ailike

As someone who skipped this console generation, holy shit these stupid Xbox names. I'm a target customer. I want to buy a system soon. I have market confusion, and I'm not going to look up a product matrix when I know there is a PS5.

Kagey K

Banned
As someone who skipped this console generation, holy shit these stupid Xbox names. I'm a target customer. I want to buy a system soon. I have market confusion, and I'm not going to look up a product matrix when I know there is a PS5.
Likely there won’t be an Xbox one S and Xbox one X when next gen launches, just series X or Series S.

I imagine you are fine knowing the difference between the iPhone XR, iPhone XS and the IPhone SE?

Tell me how one is more confusing then the other?

Why do we pretend consumers are stupid when they are all the most educated price wise, and can look up facts and specs on the spot instead of relying on the salesperson.

This is the most educated consumer, with a wealth of resources at thier fingertips in their pocket, yet most people assume they are Neanderthals.

Last edited:
Not right away it doesn't bother me. Games will run like ass on it. I played Control on my Xbox One og and thats when I realized I needed a One X. I dont think the OG one will affect the XsX games too much the first year, games will just be borderline unplayable on the Xbox one, causing ppl to upgrade to series s...I think that's their plan in general.

Personally I don’t see the point of it. Any game on the X1X would be able to work on X1S for the most part. And a year of cross gen first party games doesn’t effect me as long as they are good games and play well. More people being able to play them won’t hurt me

No, I love my One S. Leave One S alone.

Without it I wouldn't have stepped in to the Xbox ecosystem this generation. Without it I wouldn't have enjoyed the wonders of GamePass. Without it I wouldn't buy a Series X.

oldergamer

What's with this threads about series S, or the xbox one S, or the original xbone. It's concern trolling. People really need to get over that the older systems are not actually going to hold back new games.

We will see this in a few weeks.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Of course they should, no question about it.

However I believe they're trying to just keep everyone happy at the same time. Especially those who probably recently bought the 1x.

Max_Po

Banned
they will retire this fall/ come November

But I think I will want to play Halo on Xbx1x ... somehow I feel I never got my money's worth enjoyment out of day1 Scorpio ED 1x

Last edited:

SSfox

Honestly even back when i couldn't afford a console a day one, i never wanted devs to make next gen games for current gen. because that's just silly to want to dumb down games like that, for me games are arts, not fast food.

Why would you ask? Simply because i wanted that one day i'll get the next gen, i'll get to experiment my favorite games as the most next gen and best way possible.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The easy answer is if they can sell games and services across multiple consoles and PC, that gives them an install base bigger then any of their competition.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I hope Forza Horizon 5 will not be cross-gen when it releases in 2021. I'm praying it's not but man I worry it is.
Until then idc tbh. But yeah FH5 being a big jump is very important to me.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I would start clearing out the Xbox One All Digital Edition and the Slim Disc Edition by October because with Series S, you're not going to need either one of those consoles anymore. Plus, it would allow them to release Series S at $200 without it competing against the Xbox One Slim/All Digital Editions.

As for Xbox One X, it's already been discontinued and is no longer being manufactured so whatever is left out there is pretty much the end of it.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I know that Sony dominates the media and slices and dices the narrative but since when was this a difference with your typical cross gen period? With BC and Lockheart why would you buy an Xbox one? MS will discontinue the HW ASAP but this does not mean that the old machines won't receive games for a year or a year and a half, like your typical cross gen period. Besides, a lot of the upcoming indies can easily run on an Xbox one.

tryDEATH

These sort of generational cuts were always stupid and extremely anti-consumer from both the console makers to game publishers that made you double dip in games and forced you to upgrade to new systems to play new games. That archaic mentality should have been eliminated long ago. The fact that Sony is doing it is mind boggling to me, as they are basically leaving behind 100Mil+ gamers. There should be an outrage yet many people here are trying to praise it like its something good.

You never see this sort of crap in PC gaming, which has been the dominant graphical platform since basically the X360 days. Console players have been brainwashed to go against their own interest.

The only reason for next generation that is new is the SSD from prior generations, this revolutionize game design gimmick needs to be shut down until either company actually release a game that showcases it. Both companies have know they will have SSD's for years now, but somehow didn't think that they should come out guns blazing showcasing that technology to convince gamers how phenomenal it is going to be and not just shorten load times.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
To be clear, I'm a fan of Xbox and Playstation but I'll still give my 2 cents.

I don't think it matters. I think it'll phase out naturally. What I do wish is that they had a better naming scheme so the average consumer wouldn't be confused. I'm still wondering how they're gonna pull this off.

Dolomite

I wouldn't care if they continued it into 2025 via smart delivery tbh. As long as the XSX version of a title is the best version across all platforms🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️ what someone else eats won't make me shit

In my opinion, Yes. Xbox one/S is Ancient tech. Can't wait to pull the plug on my One S and throw it as far as I can and replace it with the
Series X along with a brand spanking new TV.

Last edited:

Chromata

I think even X1X should be discontinued because of its HDD. Lockhart can work if it's designed around 1080p to scale things down, but it seems pretty clear that the SSD will allow for things impossible on current gen.

Maybe for the next year which is the cross gen transition period they'll just stick with loading time upgrades so PC/X1X people have time to transition, but eventually I'd think they need to commit on that SSD. People WILL notice if Sony first party is doing amazing things on that SSD and Xbox first party is just better textures/lighting.

Last edited:

Somoza

Not really, i mean, look at pc market. A game with great graphics, high framerates and 4k can still scale down to a crappy pc if you are willing to accept the sacrifice. As a nowadays poor person who plays in a 1080p monitor and when playing pc games i go 720p so my pc doesnt overheat i couldnt care less about ultrahigh framerates or rez. Just leave the option there. But i know that it requires lots and lots of testing, q.a., certification etc... so idk really.

I am just going to leave here a screenshot of how i see overwatch. Mind that i have played arround 1500 hours in these settings
uUa4PLj.jpg
08TnaNB.jpg

So if you ask me, Should they drop current gen so the nextgen looks better? I say, i could not care less about how it looks as long as i have fun playing it.

I got a brick og xbox one for arround 100 euros and i had tons of fun with it, played resi2 remake, resi3, final fantasy 15 and tons of others and i dont gave a fuck about resolution or how it looked really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom