• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Founder - PS4 Wins The Console War 'By A Nose'

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

zfMfYLr.gif

Sorry, I'm not to good at making gifs.

No the game is already decided. Unless you are talking US only. If so please be more specific.

That's the challenging part. Anytime time console sales are talked about everyone talks in absolutes, but some are referring to WW and others are focused solely on US. You have to be living in crazy land if you think Xbone will overtake PS4 WW. Also slightly less crazy to think PS4 will only nose out the Xbone WW. In order for that to happen the Xbone would have to outsell the PS4 WW for once in its existence, and continue to do so for months to years. That's why the quote this thread is based on is so funny.

Unless people are conflating shrinking monthly sales gap with closing the LTD sales gap? I have seen that before, and it is always befuddling to me.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm talking about the Xbox One vs the 360's numbers except people have spun it to hell. Go ahead and look at my post that started some to get upset. It's pretty funny.

here.. i'll make it easy to find. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162483748&postcount=595

It's taken a lot of work for the Xbox One to actually remain above the PS3 and 360 at this point. If there was not a Kinect removal and price drop + holiday bundle then that line would most likely be under the PS3's aligned sales.

Gigglepoo

Helldiver's is definitely an exclusive

It's on PS4 and Vita. The importance of exclusives is that you'd have to buy a system to play that game. Helldivers doesn't force the ownership on any system.

I just find it strange how portables and PC are often ignored when talking about exclusives. I don't own an Xbox One because every "exclusive" I care about (save Sunset Overdrive) is on PC, too.

This was versus Ori. which isn't exclusive.

I know it's not. I'm playing it on PC.

Welfare

So Sony not gonna announce any more games this year? How about Nintendo since you seem to know a lot.

The only thing I know is that I know nothing.

Microsoft announces most of their games at E3 and around that time. Sony and Nintendo spread out their announcements.

It's on PS4 and Vita. The importance of exclusives is that you'd have to buy a system to play that game. Helldivers doesn't force the ownership on any system.

I just find it strange how portables and PC are often ignored when talking about exclusives. I don't own an Xbox One because every "exclusive" I care about (save Sunset Overdrive) is on PC, too.

But one of the best parts about it is hat you can play with people that have Vita's and ps3s. That doesn't take away from it requiring you play it on a PlayStation of some sort.

If 10 people instantly make the same joke as you, you probably aren't funny.

No fun allowed

truth411

I know it's not. I'm playing it on PC.

Isn't Helldrivers cross buy? If so what difference does it make since it will be a Sony platform.

Gigglepoo

But one of the best parts about it is hat you can play with people that have Vita's and ps3s. That doesn't take away from it requiring you play it on a PlayStation of some sort

Um, sure? It's Sony exclusive, but it's not relevant when talking about PS4 exclusives.

List wars are silly, but it's even sillier when we label things "exclusive" that are on multiple systems.

jesu

It's still the same thing haha.

Plus the source and context was already in the OP. Just had to read it right.

God you are full of shit.

The source isn't in the OP.
Neither was the context.

iFEST Seattle was the source.

the question was where will things be at the end of the generation

Was the context.

Neither are in the OP.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Was the context.

Neither are in the OP.

There are two pages in that article. The second has the context.

Yes iFest wasn't mentioned in the article but what I meant by source is the OP listed the article as the source in the first post.

Serious question: why do people care so much about which company makes more money?

Hopefully more sales leads to more games.

Also I think a lot games got overlooked on PS3. With PS4 leading the way this new crop of games will get the attention(and sales) they deserve this time. I hope Bloodborne was just the start. Persona 5 is up next.

Not really. This holiday period should be interesting. The pennant race isn't even close to be started. We're not even at the all star break yet.
Theoretically you are correct

But factually; an Xbox console has never outsold it's Playstation equivelant. PS4 has a big lead already. Sony have yet to even do a price drop. And they have a far more interesting game changing technology coming up that will likely blow the lead out further. As far as I see it Sony is winning comfortably and they have only started the warm up lap

angelic

Banned
Pretty long nose

after 12 pages of pictures of long noses, comments about noses, gifs about noses, edited gifs about those noses, amalgamations of those nose gifs and graphs into newer versions, more and more jpgs of every possible long nose everyone can think of. every combination of nose joke that could be thought of in 24 hours has been placed within this thread, because of a comment of by a nose.

bearing all of that in mind, which you just read and saw. now did you really think it was nessecary to pop in to add to this noserama, if you will, and say.."pretty long nose". yes. actually, that IS a long nose! ive only just noticed. or should i say nose-ticed. yeah, i'll say nosetised.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Theoretically you are correct

But factually; an Xbox console has never outsold it's Playstation equivelant. PS4 has a big lead already. Sony have yet to even do a price drop. And they have a far more interesting game changing technology coming up that will likely blow the lead out further. As far as I see it Sony is winning comfortably and they have only started the warm up lap

If you're interested in Holiday sales-

ZhugeEX said:
The PS4's first holiday season for example can be the end of 2014 where Sony sold through 4.1 million units to end users between November 23rd 2014 and January 4th 2015. The console had been released in over 123 countries and regions at this time. Including the whole of November, sell through exceeded 1.9 million units during the final two months of the year in North America.

The Sony PlayStation 2 saw its first proper holiday season at the end of 2001, a year after it had been released in North America and Europe. The console sold through more than 5.3 million units worldwide between November 26th 2001 and January 6th 2002. This is compared to 4.1 million PlayStation 4 consoles during the same time period in 2014. Going back to the PS2, Japan saw 1.1 million units sold, North America with approximately 2.5 million and Europe with over 1.7 million. Including the whole month of November, total sales exceeded 6.85 million units to end users in the final two months of the year.

The Sony PlayStation 3 saw its first holiday season at the end of 2007 with 1.2 million units sold through to end users in North America between November 23rd and December 31st. Including the whole month of November, total sell through exceeded 1.4 million in North America. Worldwide sell through figures are not available for the PlayStation 3 during its first holiday season.

The Sony PlayStation 2's second holiday season ran from November 3rd 2002 through to January 5th 2003. During this period Sony sold through more than 8.5 million units to end users breaking all records for console sell through at the time. North America accounted for more than 4 million units, Europe accounted for more than 3.4 million units whilst Japan saw sales of 940,000 for the final two months of the year.

The Sony PlayStation 3's second holiday season ran from November 23rd through to December 29th 2008. Worldwide sell through for the console exceeded 2.2 million units with North America accounting for almost 1 million units alone. Total sell through for the final two months of 2008 exceeded 1.1 million units in North America.

The Sony PlayStation 2's third holiday season ran from November 2nd 2003 through to the 4th of January 2004. Worldwide sell through to end users exceeded 7.83 million during this period with 2.94 million units sold through in North America, 3.56 million in Europe and 1.11 million sold in Japan. To compare, the last two months of 2001 saw 6.85 million units sold through, the last two months of 2002 saw 8.5 million units sold through and the last two months of 2003 saw 7.83 million units sold through.

The Sony PlayStation 3 saw more than 3.8 million units sold through worldwide during its third holiday season which ran from November 23rd 2009 through to December 28th 2009. This huge boost in sales can be attributed to the new slim PS3 which launched at a lower price as well as great software titles such as Uncharted 2 which sold more than 3 million units before the end of the year.

Whilst the PS4 has easily beaten PS3 holiday sales for 2007 and also peak sales for the PS3 in 2009/11 it has failed to match the PS2's first holiday season.

No one spun it to hell. As someone already pointed out, MS resorted to significant measures last holiday season. The 360 never had to rely on such aggressive price-cutting and bundling.

It's taken a lot of work for the Xbox One to actually remain above the PS3 and 360 at this point. If there was not a Kinect removal and price drop + holiday bundle then that line would most likely be under the PS3's aligned sales.

Yep. I know this. Yet when all is said and done. They are still outpacing the 360's.

I know the 360 didn't have to price cut like the X1 has had to. Just like the PS4 hasn't had to like the PS3 did.

All I said was that it was good to see the X1 out pace the 360. I don't care what they've had to do. It's done. And it's out pacing it. You think I care they have to cut their price? Ha.. I wish they all did. I'd buy them all. Love having cheaper consoles come out because they have to with games bundled. Reminds me of the old days of consoles that came with games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom