• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass estimated to have over 9.5 million monthly subscribers. Accounts for "impressive" Percentage of overall revenue.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
<<< Source >>>

Microsoft has not revealed exact subscriber numbers for Game Pass, but we have learned that there are currently some 9.5 million monthly users. Game Pass is an attractive proposition for publishers and developers because Microsoft pays out to developers each time a game is installed. It has become hugely valuable to small independents in particular, who now find themselves with a regular income and a strong community. The deal is similarly beneficial for Microsoft, which doesn’t need to worry about disc manufacture and only takes a royalty cut from games that have been installed, with several games added every week.

We understand that Game Pass accounts for an impressive percentage of Xbox revenue, and our sources see this as a major factor in the Scarlett equation. It’s a service that Sony cannot easily rival with PlayStation 5, and, combined with Project xCloud, puts Microsoft in a very strong position against Google and Amazon. With PS5, we are told, focus for Sony is hardware first and foremost – a powerful physical console. For Scarlett, Microsoft is putting forward the notion of a next-gen platform playable anywhere.

If this is even close to accurate...this would make Gamepass a billion-dollar a year service. I'm just gonna let that sink in.

And this is before PC even gets a full realization of Game pass. Right now we can download Xbox Play Anywhere games for free that are on the console's Game Pass service. So it's limited right now.

What do you guys think?

mejin

tenor.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Game Pass is the best think Microsoft has done in a long time. As a parent it's impossible to imagine a better value to allow my children a large selection of games for a low cost. It's even better than when we could rent games for a few dollars decades ago.

I subscribed for a whole year just because that same value honestly. It's ridiculously good. They just added Wolfenstein II...I mean come on. I might just stop buy single player games on day 1 altogether. Just wait for gamepass.

cliffnotes? At work and can't watch videos right now

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Billion dollars? Not possible now. Gamepass has been doing $1 subs since last year. I'd say a lot of people are on that. I'm one of them.
1 dollar for the first month maybe. Like I said, it's an estimate. I think regardless, just the nature of the service would dictate that those numbers go up and down.

I would also consider the factor of the Xbox Discless console being a bit of a boost. I still think that was the worst decision especially because of the games that are included.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just over 8.3 million subs at full whack $10 over 12 months is $1 billion. I wouldn't be surprised if true or not true.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Imagine believing this when $1 game pass subscriptions are being given out every month or so.
I dont know if I believe it or not, but I will say I dont think 9.5 million subscribers got it at $1. The bigger factor is retention. I think I'm an outlier being that I subscribe continuously for full price. While not economically sound, I do want to support this type of thinking because the more successful this is the better games that will come out of it..

ethomaz

Banned
Fake.

Even at full price you need about 200 million subscribers to reach 30% Xbox revenue too.

BTW it was posted last week.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I subscribed for a whole year just because that same value honestly. It's ridiculously good. They just added Wolfenstein II...I mean come on. I might just stop buy single player games on day 1 altogether. Just wait for gamepass.

cliffnotes? At work and can't watch videos right now
Doesn't say anything. Nothing of value

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Doesn't say anything. Nothing of value
Thanks for enlightening me?

If it was that successful, I don't think they would be offering 1 dollar deals for 3 months.

:messenger_downcast_sweat:...:messenger_pensive:

Do you not know anything about marketing? I guess Netflix isn't successful because they offered the first month free, or 14 day free trials. Oh yea HBO Now sucks too because they offer 7 day trials right at the start of the GoT season.

They are different service, but it's the concept of marketing that matters. They are in growth mode. They will be perpetually in this mode as it will be an easy in for anybody who is even thinking about giving Game Pass a shot. It's called the low bar for entry.

I mean c'mon really?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Thanks for enlightening me?

:messenger_downcast_sweat:...:messenger_pensive:

Do you not know anything about marketing? I guess Netflix isn't successful because they offered the first month free, or 14 day free trials. Oh yea HBO Now sucks too because they offer 7 day trials right at the start of the GoT season.

They are different service, but it's the concept of marketing that matters. They are in growth mode. They will be perpetually in this mode as it will be an easy in for anybody who is even thinking about giving Game Pass a shot. It's called the low bar for entry.

I mean c'mon really?

Many people know why they're offering one dollar deals, and that's to get people on the service. If they use their 1 dollar subscription, then a lot of subscribers are going to stick around for much longer.

They're still giving you 3 months for a dollar, which is far different than 1 month and 14-day trials. Also, comparing video streaming services to gaming services is ridiculous. These video services reaches far more people than video games.

DanielsM

Banned
<<< Source >>>

If this is even close to accurate...this would make Gamepass a billion-dollar a year service. I'm just gonna let that sink in.

And this is before PC even gets a full realization of Game pass. Right now we can download Xbox Play Anywhere games for free that are on the console's Game Pass service. So it's limited right now.

What do you guys think?

Doubtful. If I were to guess XBLG is probably in the 14-16m range but not this on an annual basis which is only $40-65 a year. PS Now offers 600+ games plus streaming at a cheaper price (than game pass, generally speaking) and its way under a million users.

We understand that Game Pass accounts for an impressive percentage of Xbox revenue, and our sources see this as a major factor in the Scarlett equation.

Made up, just like the PS Now numbers were made up last year.

All of this was made up, see below... this article below and the SuperData data - phony made up bullshit. Adults claiming they have "sauces". LOL

Sony released the true subscribers numbers at the last quarter, all of those revenue numbers are bullshit.

The average annual increase in paid subscribers has exceeded 40% since the service was launched and the number of users has increased around the same amount every year, reaching approximately 700,000 today.

It’s a service that Sony cannot easily rival with PlayStation 5, and, combined with Project xCloud,

This is the funny part..... they don't even know Sony already has a service that has been deployed for nearly 5 years now yet they have "sources", well, my "sources" would say they are full of shit if they can't figure that part out. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Don't believe the lies!" - Mark Copeland Radio Freedom Oregon (Days Gone) :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've done the $1 thing many times on my account already. Not a one time thing
Sweet. So their system isn't smart enough to know you already did it? Or maybe they don't care.

After a $1 month passes, what's the timing for MS to re-offer a $1/month deal again? Right away? Or months later?

pr0cs

Love game pass, REALLY hope they announce a combined PC version at e3 this year. For me it's paid for itself for a year in the first month.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Many people know why they're offering one dollar deals, and that's to get people on the service. If they use their 1 dollar subscription, then a lot of subscribers are going to stick around for much longer.

They're still giving you 3 months for a dollar, which is far different than 1 month and 14-day trials. Also, comparing video streaming services to gaming services is ridiculous. These video services reaches far more people than video games.
Exactly, comparing video service and games service IS ridiculous. So what is your basis for saying offering $1 for 3 months mean the service means the service is less than successful?

TLZ

Banned
1 dollar for the first month maybe. Like I said, it's an estimate. I think regardless, just the nature of the service would dictate that those numbers go up and down.

I would also consider the factor of the Xbox Discless console being a bit of a boost. I still think that was the worst decision especially because of the games that are included.
Nah man. I've been continuously on a game pass sub since last year for a $1 every time. I let it run out then sub again for a $1. Sometimes it's $2 for 2 months. This last one was $1 for 3 months.

But yeah of course if the pricing is right the future looks good. I know they're getting people invested in their ecosystem.

kingwingin

Sweet. So their system isn't smart enough to know you already did it? Or maybe they don't care.

After a $1 month passes, what's the timing for MS to re-offer a $1/month deal again? Right away? Or months later?
The one before this one was when crackdown released. Think it was $2 for 2 months. Hoping they do it again when gears drops.

I just paid $1 for 3 months. Sweet. There is a limited library on PC but it will keep me busy for a few months however.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
great article i paid a grand total of 4 bucks for like a years worth of gamepass

dumb ass new articles

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Exactly, comparing video service and games service IS ridiculous. So what is your basis for saying offering $1 for 3 months mean the service means the service is less than successful?

It's 3 months for $1 dollar.

3 months.

I'm not saying the service is not successful, but if it was as big as some people are trying to make it out to be, I doubt they would even offer 1 dollar for 3 months. I'm also sure they took a huge loss with Crackdown 3 going straight to GP because the game didn't even make a dent when it comes to digital\physical sales.

I'm sure they're going to stop these 1 dollar deals when Gears of War 5 rolls around.

ph33rknot

Banned
It's 3 months for $1 dollar.

3 months.

I'm not saying the service is not successful, but if it was as big as some people are trying to make it out to be, I doubt they would even offer 1 dollar for 3 months. I'm also sure they took a huge loss with Crackdown 3 going straight to GP because the game didn't even make a dent when it comes to digital\physical sales.

I'm sure they're going to stop these 1 dollar deals when Gears of War 5 rolls around.
after i played crackdown on game pass i bought it so that i can play offline

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox Game Pass is legitimate, Microsoft is really good at services (Xbox Live) SONY shouldn't under estimate them.

I doubt it's fake, it says "USERS" not "SUBSCRIBERS". They're tallying the amount of Xbox accounts which make use of the service, this can be one on a device or multiple. To add to this you can get GamePass for like $1 a month with promotions so it wouldn't at all be shocking, I buy all of my games and I still have like 6 months of GamePass on deck.

That number could definitely be real but we have to be as well. MS has said that GP has helped increase sales ideally because it let's people try games and then buy it after their GP trial or deal to get them in. The interesting part is how it fares a couple years in especially with a new gen looming.

lucius

I think I got 8 months for like $5 , from offers from MS . Sometimes its $2 for one month. I have it until Sept free, there was some reward offer for free month also. I am not complaining I would never pay more than $3 a month for the service. But if they wanna use me to boost their numbers thats fine with me. Sony almost never offers any good free trials for Playstation Now, I think I got 2 weeks once free.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I think I got 8 months for like $5 , from offers from MS . Sometimes its $2 for one month. I have it until Sept free, there was some reward offer for free month also. I am not complaining I would never pay more than $3 a month for the service. But if they wanna use me to boost their numbers thats fine with me. Sony almost never offers any good free trials for Playstation Now, I think I got 2 weeks once free.

Same. I've had over 6 months now, all with 1$ promos 1$ for 3, 2$ for 2 etc. I still have a free month whenever it runs out. I have a hard time to believe that service is profitable.

I would never pay full price because if you wait for a sale you can buy most games and own them forever.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Don't forget you don't get these offers if your already subscribed, and lots of people are shit with canceling subs or just leave them running because they shit with managing their finances or just don't care.

I'd find the 1 billion more believable if that was the total since the launch of Game pass.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Isn't the XB1 install base around 40 million? 1/4 of all XB1 owners subbing to it sounds really high tbh.

I mean, if they do have that sort of engagement, then it's an outstanding success. It's something that they will tout to the high heavens to their investors.

I suppose there's some people who are PC only who may have subbed and add to the number, but I imagine that number is really low.

Top Bottom