• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass for PC seems to be broken and the Microsoft support as well

Hey,

so after playing only consoles for the last 5-6 years I build a new gaming PC and got the Xbox Game Pass for PC for 4 months.

Unfortunately the thing doesn't work properly. I'm logged in and on the website it shows that I have subscribed the service.

But once I open the app, it doesn't let me download any games and I only have the option to buy a subscription. The same is true on the website and the Microsoft Game Store.

I thought I get in touch with the support but then realized that Microsoft doesn't have much of a support anymore.

First stage is a Chat-Bot which gave me around 10 wrong responses about my problem before letting me get to the next stage of support.

On the next stage of support you can choose between: Ask the community, ask a gamer and get a call.

Of course I choose the call for which I waited more than an hour. The customer support agent was friendly but was totally clueless and told me that he cannot help me as they never had a similar problem.

After doing some research on the internet I found out that a lot of people have the same problem but Microsoft seems to close their threads without providing a solution.

I guess it is probably much easier to pirate a game instead of paying Microsoft to play their games...

Had anyone a similar experience? Or even a solution for the problem?

meirl

Banned
Your answer to refute anecdotal evidence is with anecdotal evidence? These issues are often most frustrating for consumers (e.g. poor remote play performance for PS4 users), and dismissing them because you don't personally have a problem is not cool.
Doesnt work for 1 Person: BROKEN!!!
Lol

Works for me fine. No issue at all on multiple PCs.

Get your shit fixed, yo. Pathetic.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Lol

There have been numerous complaints about Gamepass on PC. If you are lucky enough to get it working, some games are unstable. And don't get me started with the lack of quality control. Games launching with cloud saves, XBL features, achivements, and so on.

You have to log in in the app. Not possible?

The thing is that I'm logged in in the app. I can even click on the account settings and it redirects me to the Microsoft page where it says that I have the subscription. It is really strange. But as I said there are a lot of complaints online about this and no seems to have a solution for it.
I also already tried to uninstall the app and install it again, log out on the website, app etc and log in again. restart the pc several times.

There have been numerous complaints about Gamepass on PC. If you are lucky enough to get it working, some games are unstable. And don't get me started with the lack of quality control. Games launching with cloud saves, XBL features, achivements, and so on.

Reading through some of the complaints I think Microsoft shouldn't charge money for a service that isn't working for so many people. And from what I read the most common problem seems to be that the games don't download or don't work.
Or at least they should ramp up their customer support for this new product. There isn't even a topic you can choose in the support about Xbox Game Pass. So even if you get a call from a support representative, they are not familiar with the product.

Graciaus

I tried it and eventually set it up. Then I couldn't download any games without them stopping. I got frustrated and just turned on my Xbox.

It says beta so hopefully it improves since it would be great service.

Shifty

Lol

Oh god, you're one of those people that shit up tech support topics with an utterly unhelpful "works for me", only somehow worse.

How about you get your head out of your ass and stop being so hyper-defensive about Game Pass?

It working for you is fine, using that as reason to play asshole is not.

Cute. There are millions who use that service. Out of those millions, only 2000 have issues. That’s pretty good actually
And that is not grounds to dismiss the people that do have trouble. How much is MS paying you for these outbursts? Tree fiddy?

Last edited:

CyRuZ

Banned
Beta app broke my win install. Couldn't download anything from the ms store anymore. Had to re-install win. Nice concept - pathetic implementation.

It was for me and I ran across a power shell command to run and it fixed the issue for me.

And to be fair it worked for a while and then stopped. Reinstalled windows and still didn’t work. Powershell command fixed it. It was on Microsoft’s site under the help section from Xbox Beta App.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The thing is that I'm logged in in the app. I can even click on the account settings and it redirects me to the Microsoft page where it says that I have the subscription. It is really strange. But as I said there are a lot of complaints online about this and no seems to have a solution for it.
I also already tried to uninstall the app and install it again, log out on the website, app etc and log in again. restart the pc several times.

That is weird. It works just fine for me, but the app needs some time to understand that I'm actually logged in. Everything is presented as if I'm not for 10 seconds or so, then it works as intended.

Vlaphor

I myself was having so many issues getting it working on PC that I just unsubscribed. It did work for a bit, but only for a bit.

It was for me and I ran across a power shell command to run and it fixed the issue for me.

And to be fair it worked for a while and then stopped. Reinstalled windows and still didn’t work. Powershell command fixed it. It was on Microsoft’s site under the help section from Xbox Beta App.

Thanks. Maybe I will give it another try on the weekend.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
For me, I can not update Windows to version 1903, which is required to install the app for PC. I tried to go through Windows Update and the app installer but nothing to do, when I reboot the PC refuses to update.
Seems like i'm stuck at the 1803 version :messenger_crying:

pr0cs

For me, I can not update Windows to version 1903, which is required to install the app for PC. I tried to go through Windows Update and the app installer but nothing to do, when I reboot the PC refuses to update.
Seems like i'm stuck at the 1803 version :messenger_crying:
I had this problem too but I had to manually adjust one of the windows partition sizes in order to update. Not really gamepass app problem but random window issue.

I want to like the gamepass app, it has promise, it's certainly not hideous... But.... It's broken. I was almost done playing mutant year zero, enjoying my time and gamepass updated and KILLED all my save files. Effectively deleting them. Like OP support is nonexistent, not even a twitter response.

Needless to say I am not playing a lot of gamepass pc games because of this

logicslayer

A service/software that's in beta doesn't work as expected for everyone?

KR93TA2.gif

Also, in order to get the Game Pass for PC beta, you have to install build 1903 which is an Insider build. Meaning it's not expected to work flawlessly. I know it sucks, but how much did you pay to get Game Pass for PC? $1? Unfortunately, you may have to wait until they get the shit working right for everyone.

DanielsM

Banned
After doing some research on the internet I found out that a lot of people have the same problem but Microsoft seems to close their threads without providing a solution.

I guess it is probably much easier to pirate a game instead of paying Microsoft to play their games...

Had anyone a similar experience? Or even a solution for the problem?

You need to get use to it, this the name of the game with Microsoft for over a decade. They never fixed Games for Windows Live, they haven't fixed the Microsoft Store, all they did was release another half ass app. It has nothing to do with just gaming, you can go through their support forums and stuff rarely gets resolved, they just move on.

Their consumer software products are always in beta, the Microsoft Store has been around for 4+ years now. They have never tried to fix the Microsoft Store.

Wishful thinking it ever will, either deal with it or move on. A digital store that not only doesn't support Win 7 and 8, but also doesn't fully even support Win10. The app wouldn't even install for me on two computer that I tried a few months back. Why do you need 1903? If they are going to support win32 they need to make it work on 7,8, and 10.

Last edited:

It's not like MS has a good track record when it comes to this stuff. I know people who still can't play games they bought on the Microsoft Store years ago because their downloads either won't start or literally take forever (it will start downloading hundreds of gigabytes of data endlessly until you abort the process). The one time one of them managed to actually download Gears 4 the game told them that an update was required and then promptly proceeded to re-download the entire game (which is around 100gb) only to fail halfway through.

People can trust Phil Spencer and his promises all they want, fact is Microsoft hasn't changed one bit when it comes to PC gaming. They just plain suck at it.

logicslayer

I see a lot of people just saying it's plain broken and will never get fixed. If it works for some and not others, how is it broken? To be honest, it's likely an environmental issue if it's not working for you. Or it could just be that it's not ready for release, almost like it's in beta.

Dunki

funny note. I downloaded Outer Worlds. Sadly it was only a 15 MB file for watever reason but it says I actually now have the game :p

DanielsM

Banned
They need to make this software work on dying operating Systems? Windows 7 has a planned EoL 4 months from now.

Windows 7 is borderline but every other digital storefront supports it. Literally what they are doing on every level makes zero sense.

I see a lot of people just saying it's plain broken and will never get fixed. If it works for some and not others, how is it broken? To be honest, it's likely an environmental issue if it's not working for you. Or it could just be that it's not ready for release, almost like it's in beta.

If it doesn't work for everyone its technically broken in a general sense, if they refuse to fix it or offer a solution - its broken.

almost like it's in beta.

Its not in beta, the app is in beta, that replace the other app that was in the beta, all they had to do is fix what was broken i.e. the Microsoft Store. The refused to fix Games for Windows Live and now they are refusing to fix the Microsoft Store, so Phil, instead of fixing the MS Store.... built another stupid app.

He's not going to fix shit just like he didn't fix Games for Windows Live. The whole concept of what they are doing makes very little sense.

Last edited:
I have a TON of problems with the latest Game Bar. I can’t join 99% of parties which is making Looking For Group impossible to use. Dogshit, the Xbox app was much better. But now game bar removes notifications for Xbox app rendering it useless.

Last edited:

logicslayer

Windows 7 is borderline but every other digital storefront supports it. Literally what they are doing on every level makes zero sense.

If it doesn't work for everyone its technically broken in a general sense, if they refuse to fix it or offer a solution - its broken.

Its not in beta, the app is in beta, that replace the other app that was in the beta, all they had to do is fix what was broken i.e. the Microsoft Store. The refused to fix Games for Windows Live and now they are refusing to fix the Microsoft Store, so Phil, instead of fixing the MS Store.... built another stupid app.

He's not going to fix shit just like he didn't fix Games for Windows Live. The whole concept of what they are doing makes very little sense.
From a security aspect, maintaining Windows 7 support (for games) is an awful idea.

It's not in beta, but its in beta, I gotcha.

Sometimes it's better to nuke and pave, start from the ground up. Duct taping Games for Windows would not have worked out.

DanielsM

Banned
From a security aspect, maintaining Windows 7 support (for games) is an awful idea.

Sometimes it's better to nuke and pave, start from the ground up. Duct taping Games for Windows would not have worked out.

What does this have to do with maintaining Windows 7, they can stop support at some time in the future just like they are doing with the OS itself. There is also Win 8 and 8.1, let alone a person has to have 1903. It has nothing to do with security, literally all the other digital storefronts support Microsoft's OS.

Its in beta meaning, they never actually finish a product... this shit should have worked years ago. The Microsoft store is a fucking disaster worse imo than GFWL which was fucking joke. Basically, what Phil is trying to do is by pass Games for Windows Live v2.0 (which is really what the Microsoft Store)

Sometime its better to just write off a company as being incompetent by nuking the whole fucking thing. Its horrible quality and horrible support and this isn't just pertaining to the Store. What you are describing is exactly what they will do.... they will eventually just scrap the newer Xbox beta app and start from scratch.

At least with game pass you just unsubscribe, the idiots buying from the MS Store.... sorry I don't feel sorry for their stupid asses.... especially when MS nukes the whole thing.

i-say-we-take-off-nuke-the-site-from-orbit-53467801.png

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
The service has just recently started getting rolled out. Give it time, it will get better.
The "service" is being rolled out but the backend i.e. the Store if fucked, and that's been around since Windows 10 was launch 2015. All he did was build yet another stupid app on a broken ass store. Its very simple, they have been unable or more like unwilling to fix any of this (any of their digital PC Stores) since 2007, and all they are doing is building more half-ass shit on top of the stuff that doesn't work. If history is a guide, the chances are not good and since they are eventually going to have revamp all this shit to eventually get rid of UWP, you can expect this for way into the future. This is not unique to PC gaming with Microsoft, a whole variety of their consumer products have been handled this way Skype, Groove, etc. Broken garbage that they eventually scrap with new broken garbage.

(rinse and then repeat)

The Microsoft consumer is the guinea pig, you either deal with what you have or chances are you will be disappointed.

I would say their cloud services are hit and miss - depending on what they are and I haven't tried them all, some stuff is good like Visual Studio team, Office is just Office, other stuff I've used say Sharepoint Online was a disaster the last time I used it. The consumer based applications and services have generally been a fucking disaster i.e. Skype, Games for Windows Live, Microsoft Store, Cortana, Groove, etc.

Skype is just one of many things, literally just a trash bin of bad quality software and decision making.

What is even more confusing is Cortana was actually probably the most advanced and best of the voice assistant that existed when it was released, they have spent the last 5 years just fucking it up.

Last edited:
I was getting errors when downloading last month and ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling which seemed to fix whatever was going on.

zeorhymer

Once I updated to 1903, I haven't had problems with GP. *only* Issue I have is games asking me to log into my gamer profile even though I'm logged in on GP.

DanielsM

Banned
Isn't it still in beta on the pc? If so, then well there's your problem.

No, the problem is Microsoft, instead of fixing the problem i.e. the Microsoft Store, all Phil did was release another silly app rides on top of the broken Store. They'll eventually scrap this app and replace it with another broken app and while not fixing the Store.

Pantz

Gold Member
It does suck that support seems to be impossible to find. I know I've gotten direct chat support for Xbox before but not sure if that works with PC, could be worth a shot.

I had a problem with GP for PC too, it wouldn't let me install games (oops). When I clicked install on any game it would just give an error code message. I did some searching and found that some people with the same problem had it fixed by joining the Windows Insider Program. Which basically helps you to update to the latest Windows builds. It actually took me two updates and restarts before it started to let me install games. Don't really know how/what I did but it did fix my problems and it's been smooth sailing since then. If you want to try here is a link, https://www.windowscentral.com/how-join-windows-insider-program

Tygeezy

Lol

Its an incredibly good deal for 5 dollars a month. It's even cheaper if you can find a good deal on xbox live gold membership and then upgrading to game pass for a dollar. With more and more titles coming out it's the best value in gaming.

Top Bottom