• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Stare-Bear

Banned
Game Pass cheapens the product. Just like with Netflix, people say: It's a good movie...for Netflix.

With PS5 taking a healthy lead already on the Xbox, it's going to be very hard for Microsoft to convince third-party developers to put their games up on GP day 1. Stalker was a modest hit, with 1.65 million copies sold. But let's not pretend it's a system seller...

ethomaz

Banned
This isn't the reality of the situation though. So far, there have been 0 "Game Pass Exclusives". Anything that comes out on Game Pass, you can still outright purchase.
That is not the ideia of Gamepass... see Netflix to understand... they started focusing in 3rd-party deals but after some time they realized it was best to focus on 1st-party Netflix exclusives and to be fair that is the best think today in Netflix... the Orignal shows and movies.

Gamepass will indeed in the future start to have Gamepass only exclusives I believe.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
IMO:

All Sony need to do, is improve the current PSnow, combined it with PS Plus.
Dont have to be better than Gamepass, dont have to be the same quality as Gamepass.

As long its better than the current PSnow, they can go for subscription/Physical/digital hybrid modal.

PlayStation gamers do not want a Gamepass or PSNow.

We want the freedom to choose what we buy..... lowering the day 1 price back to 60 would be the best choice.

Topher

Gold Member
I really don't see that it matters. If Sony continues to crank out top notch games like they have then people are going to want to buy them. I know I am.

Having said that, I will certainly also subscribe to Game Pass when there is a game I want to play, but I'm not going to stay subscribed all year round. So when a game like Avowed hits then it will be time to either use some of my MS rewards points or pay $10 for a month to play the game.

So I don't see why either of these models are not going to work just fine. Some want to buy their games and others are fine renting. I'll do both.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That is not the ideia of Gamepass... see Netflix to understand... they started focusing in 3rd-party deals but after some time they realized it was best to focus on 1st-party Netflix exclusives and to be fair that is the best think today in Netflix... the Orignal shows and movies.
And it turns out, you can buy (to own digitally) a lot of Netflix Original shows on services like iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. So my point still stands - consumers have a choice of how they'd like to pay and what purchasing model works for them.

SaucyJack

stalker 2, Hades,shredder, etc etc are all multiplats that are on gp....there is no doubt that playing them on rival platforms costs much, much more.
Sony will be preparing a response to gamepass has no other alternative

Sony have PS Now already, which is already a lot cheaper than GP and has more games.

Sony probably could do with packaging a PS Now and PS+ combo and marketing it better.

PS Now/Plus and Gamepass are pretty similar in terms of bigger third party games coming for a 3-6 month period, and both are also filled to the brim with Indie games, filler and shovelware.

The biggest meaningful difference is first party day one on Gamepass and PlayStation first party typically taking a couple of years to come to Plus. I’m not convinced that Sony needs to change that right now.

Having a better solution for PS3 games would really improve PS Now.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And it turns out, you can buy (to own digitally) a lot of Netflix Original shows on services like iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. So my point still stands - consumers have a choice of how they'd like to pay and what purchasing model works for them.
Most Netflix exclusive content are exclusives and it can't be brought in any other platform.

Atrus

Gold Member
Game pass is a game rental service.

It’s a lot different from actually owning the games in order to play them whenever you want.

The only reason I am even subscribed to Netflix is because it burns billions in new exclusive shows found nowhere else. Even then, it is subpar because it doesn’t have the films that I want to see when I want them so I continue to secure a library of films to watch when and wherever I want.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I really don't see that it matters. If Sony continues to crank out top notch games like they have then people are going to want to buy them. I know I am.

Having said that, I will certainly also subscribe to Game Pass when there is a game I want to play, but I'm not going to stay subscribed all year round. So when a game like Avowed hits then it will be time to either use some of my MS rewards points or pay $10 for a month to play the game.

So I don't see why either of these models are not going to work just fine. Some want to buy their games and others are fine renting. I'll do both.
Exactly.

The Xbox showcase just had me glad I got in on the Game Pass deals for $1. I am set until Oct next year. After that....I dont know what I'll do. I actually have a reason to play on Xbox later this year. Havent played on it since I got a PS5.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Rental vs ownership.

I'll take ownership.
"Owning" something on a Playstation is laughable concept. They keep trying to shut down their own servers.

Not to mention, you still have that option on Gamepass. You can try the game with your subscription, and if you like it, you buy it at a discounted price.

Here is a mind-blower: You don't have to choose between owning and renting.

pr0cs

I must point out though most people don’t care about ownership.
Unless you're a collector I have no idea why you would care if you own a game, especially digital.
I play games for the experiences they offer, not for the boxes or their order in my "list" of playable software. Who actually does?

sony aint stupid and will shift with where the market goes. obviously right now, they aint going to change much with how much they are dominating with PS5 but once they start seeing a decline and the market shifting, they will change. just like when online multiplayer was becoming huge with xbox live, sony shifted and made playstation network. even though they were late, look at how succesfull ps network is today. sony will have no problem shifting to a primarily subscription model, if they have to.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder who is to be convinced of the GamePass greatness with these threads. Those subscribed seem more invested than those without a sub.

Currently subscribed to GamPass PC at the moment myself, but only because it was 3 months for £1 and I wanted to binge Yakuza games. That is its worth to me given the majority of the library of games I either already own or played. I'm not paying full price after that ends when I have plenty more games on numerous platforms to play at no extra cost now.

ethomaz

Banned
Game pass is a game rental service.

It’s a lot different from actually owning the games in order to play them whenever you want.

The only reason I am even subscribed to Netflix is because it burns billions in new exclusive shows found nowhere else. Even then, it is subpar because it doesn’t have the films that I want to see when I want them so I continue to secure a library of films to watch when and wherever I want.
That is the reason I signed off from Netflix two years ago... I could not find what I wanted to watch in the service so even watching some interesting exclusive content I found it lacking and useless to me.

Actually I have no streaming services subscription... my time is scarce and most of want to watch is separated in several sub services that makes it a non option to me... so I find it useless unless you have several streaming services lol

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A bunch of weird comments implying that you can't buy games that are on gamepass. I don't know if it's deliberate or just ignorance.
I don't understand this either. I guess people are worried that games will get locked behind some subscription service paywall when they've out and out said that's not what is going to happen.

BootsLoader

Banned
What is this? Why Sony has to do the same thing? Are they not selling consoles? Maybe they don’t have games that sell like hot cakes? Wtf? I don’t see a reason for Sony to change. I like things as they are. GP has a lot o value I give you that, but there’s no reason for other companies to change. Sony releases a GOTY every year, that says a lot.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If MS forces Sony to do the same thing I wonder what the long term effect of it is though. Will developers make games differently when they know it will be part of the subscription service?
The long term effect will be intense pressure on Sony, who doesn't have the investment money that MS does.

Amazon / Google may scoop up Sony gaming at that point or combine.

mxbison

This isn't the reality of the situation though. So far, there have been 0 "Game Pass Exclusives". Anything that comes out on Game Pass, you can still outright purchase.

Technically true. Slapping a 70€ Steam price tag on a game like Gears Tactics sends a pretty clear message though.

Bryank75

Banned
"Owning" something on a Playstation is laughable concept. They keep trying to shut down their own servers.

Not to mention, you still have that option on Gamepass. You can try the game with your subscription, and if you like it, you buy it at a discounted price.

Here is a mind-blower: You don't have to choose between owning and renting.

You can still play what you bought on PS even if the stores are shut down. SIngle player games are playable off the disc with no sign in needed. I believe there are DRM issues even if you buy a disc version on Xbox.

I also believe that the Series X version is not on the disc when you buy them, you need to connect to download the data from servers.

So....there certainly is a point in owning your game on PlayStation...more of a point than almost any system apart from Switch right now.

ZywyPL

Banned
th

No joke, you read the ingredients, and it's shocking how much junk there is in what we eat, even fruits and vegetables are either GMO or full of pesticides, whereas pets food is all natural, with meat from stuff like salmon, kangaroo and what's not.

mxbison

Hard to put a price tag on entertainment.

Why even pay for GamePass when there are so many completely free games? Infinite value for $0.

People want to play the Playstation exclusives so they will continue to buy the consoles.

Didn't Microsoft try to sneakily double the price for Xbox Live a few months ago?

Doesn't seem to bode well for the security of the "value proposition" of GamePass

Elog

The fundamental error behind the article is the assumption that money is what keep people from playing games. That is certainly true for a segment of the market, but for the majority of adult gamers (that is the main market segment in USD) time and not money is the rate limiting resource.

The moment time is the rate limiting resource you want a smashing good game when you play and the relative small differences in price matters much less. The 'eat as much as you can from the buffet' approach of GP does very little to this segment - but the lack of smashing exclusives hurts this segment. This difference in preference is completely missed by many on this forum.

Riky

$MSFT
I can already get an Outriders digital key for £23 on Xbox, a fraction of the price on release. It may be even cheaper by the time it leaves Gamepass, if it ever does. That saving has paid for my Gamepass subscription for months and access to another 400 odd games.
Unbeatable value.

JeloSWE

I don't play enough games to justify a monthly subscription fee when there are no games I'm interested in. Also I preferer to own the title, I don't like when a service removes a game or show.

jshackles

I can already get an Outriders digital key for £23 on Xbox, a fraction of the price on release. It may be even cheaper by the time it leaves Gamepass, if it ever does. That saving has paid for my Gamepass subscription for months and access to another 400 odd games.
Unbeatable value.
That's how I see Gamepass as well, especially for stuff that comes Day One. Play it Day One, and if it's a great experience (or I think I'll want to replay it again at some point) I'll pick up a physical copy or digital one if physical doesn't exist. I usually play over 50 games a year to completion and Gamepass has really helped lower the costs of that endeavor.

Fredrik

3 games.
That is my actual backlog for around two months without play.
Well there you have it then, the math.

If those were $70 games and you’ve had the PS5 since launch it adds up to $210 for 7 months.

7 months of regular Gamepass (used in the article) is $70.

7 months of Gamepass Ultimate (which you should choose, comes with EA Play, cloud and PC Gamepass) is $105.

You got 3 games for your $210. I think it would be easier to understand the positives if I said:
- Imagine that you had only payed $70 to play those three 1st party games and you also got to play Dirt 5, Outriders, Yakuza Like a Dragon, MLB if you like that, plus all the older games that are still great to play and Kena and the rest of the upcoming games.
That would be Playstation Pass. And it would be awesome.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think stalker is only PC and Xbox...

It's still a little weird to me that people were outraged at not being about to share a game they own and having to be online but are 100% on board for a rental service where they don't fully control the selection, don't own the titles, can't share games and you have to have internet access. I guess Don Mattrick and Xbox one really was ahead of it's time.

I think Stalker 2 is Console "Launch" exclusive.

That's because people don't know any better... yet.

And apple sheep's don't mind paying way more for iPhone than the other brands.

Just like Apple, Sony know they can get away with nearly everything.

I wouldn't brag about being happy to pay more for games.

Are you two bragging about having the ability to rent many games for their day one releases? It's cool and all, but lets stop acting as if owning things is a bad thing now. People around here will start thinking your paid MS shills if you keep this up. We gamers have paid for our games since 1985. Why is it being treated as a crime now?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You can still play what you bought on PS even if the stores are shut down. SIngle player games are playable off the disc with no sign in needed. I believe there are DRM issues even if you buy a disc version on Xbox.

I also believe that the Series X version is not on the disc when you buy them, you need to connect to download the data from servers.

So....there certainly is a point in owning your game on PlayStation...more of a point than almost any system apart from Switch right now.
You can still play it, if you have it downloaded before the servers shut off. Sony delist their own games as well, without the entire servers being shut down. Didn't they wait like less than two years before trying to shut down the servers on Gravity Rush 2?
Owning something digitally is a hard sell, due to the nature of licenses, even without bringing in Sony, who are notorious for shutting things down and taking things away.

Sure, it's not much of a better situation on Xbox when it comes to actually "owning" something, but at least there are legacy titles available. I can play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (just one example) on Series X, if I bough it on 360. I don't know if there is a single Playstation game "purchase" that has carried through from PS3 to PS5. Is there?
Even if there is, most legacy titles aren't available on the platform, whether you bought them at one time or not, while they are on Xbox.

Neither of these situations are really ideal for "owning" something anymore, which sort of blows. That's why I wouldn't hold one above the other when it comes to owning a game. Both are glorified license rentals, but one is a really good value.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Gamepass will indeed in the future start to have Gamepass only exclusives I believe.

This would be the DEATH of the Xbox brand if they did this. No way MS does this.

sony aint stupid and will shift with where the market goes. obviously right now, they aint going to change much with how much they are dominating with PS5 but once they start seeing a decline and the market shifting, they will change. just like when online multiplayer was becoming huge with xbox live, sony shifted and made playstation network. even though they were late, look at how succesfull ps network is today. sony will have no problem shifting to a primarily subscription model, if they have to.

But change to what? They already have PS+ and PSNow. What are you guys asking Sony to do? No way people think Sony shifting to a subscription only model makes sense right?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Are you two bragging about having the ability to rent many games for their day one releases? It's cool and all, but lets stop acting as if owning things is a bad thing now. People around here will start thinking your paid MS shills if you keep this up. We gamers have paid for our games since 1985. Why is it being treated as a crime now?

Yo why are you dragging me into this. I'm not pro game pass nor do I play on Xbox.

I was talking to Ethomaz about higher prices on games this gen and nothing about game pass.

Talk about seeing shilled ghosts.

ethomaz

Banned
Well there you have it then, the math.

If those were $70 games and you’ve had the PS5 since launch it adds up to $210 for 7 months.

7 months of regular Gamepass (used in the article) is $70.

7 months of Gamepass Ultimate (which you should choose, comes with EA Play, cloud and PC Gamepass) is $105.

You got 3 games for your $210. I think it would be easier to understand the positives if I said:
- Imagine that you had only payed $70 to play those three 1st party games and you also got to play Dirt 3, Outriders, Yakuza Like a Dragon, MLB if you like that, plus all the older games that are still great to play and Kena and the rest of the upcoming games.
That would be Playstation Pass. And it would be awesome.
But I should not be playing the games I want… what the point?

I understand the old quantity game but my time is very limited already… I want to play the games that I want to play… most if not all games I want to play I buy what launch.

I don’t need several games available to play..: I need to play that single game that I find interesting to me.

Paying $70 is a very minor matter imo.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I understand the old quantity game but my time is very limited already… I want to play the games that I want to play… most if not all games I want to play I buy what launch.

I don’t need several games available to play..: I need to play that single game that I find interesting to me.

Yeah but $70 many times is a less minor matter, that’s what the article is saying. You don’t have to play a lot of games if you don’t want to, but I’m guessing that you plan to play a few more games this year. Maybe Kena? Maybe Ratchet? Maybe Horizon Forbidden West if that comes out this year? Next year, maybe you want God of War? Maybe Gran Turismo? It adds up. Each month with a new $70 game could’ve got you 7 months of 1st and 3rd party games through a $10/month Playstation Pass sub, if there was such a thing.

cormack12

Gold Member

JLB

Banned
Game Pass cheapens the product. Just like with Netflix, people say: It's a good movie...for Netflix.

With PS5 taking a healthy lead already on the Xbox, it's going to be very hard for Microsoft to convince third-party developers to put their games up on GP day 1. Stalker was a modest hit, with 1.65 million copies sold. But let's not pretend it's a system seller...

What a ridiculous post. Better call Saul is a good series, on Netflix, and on my pirate torrent directory as well.
What is the indication that the games offered on GP are going to get cheap? As of now, future day one GP games (Perfect Dark, Avowed, Gears 6, Forzas, Halo, etc) look much expensive and ambitious that current ones.
Same thing can be said of Nextflix, by the way: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/netflix-2021-content-spend-17-billion-1234955953/ Looks like stable incomes like the ones subs provide help to accelerate the pace of content investments.

With PS5 taking a healthy lead already on the Xbox, it's going to be very hard for Microsoft to convince third-party developers to put their games up on GP day 1"

What is the rationale of this? I see absolutely no connection at all. Even the opposite is more probable.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It wasn’t the best idea to merge the thread on the main page with this OT (which wasn’t exactly ideal to begin with), now we get to see again the same bad, debunked a million times takes from all the usual suspects. And it’s not like it adds any value to the OT.

Yeap. Came here to check any news of the service, and on last page people saying that GP is the root of all evils. Tiring.

If we are going to have a Gamepass OT we need it to be something updated like every month, or at worst every quarter, and made by somebody who cares about Gamepass. Randomly throwing all the Gamepass news and troll threads into one place means this OT is more like a garbage bin instead of a place for people who actually use Gamepass and want to chat about it, favorite games, new games, articles, etc.....

Kagey K

Banned
If we are going to have a Gamepass OT we need it to be something updated like every month, or at worst every quarter, and made by somebody who cares about Gamepass. Randomly throwing all the Gamepass news and troll threads into one place means this OT is more like a garbage bin instead of a place for people who actually use Gamepass and want to chat about it, favorite games, new games, articles, etc.....
Exactly how it was meant to be. Just look at the OP.

You can tell it was made hastily and out of frustration. It was supposed to be corrected and rebooted, but it got moved to community instead.

I personally think it's still fucking stupid but I gave up fighting about it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
To get things back on track.... what games were missing from that coming this year Gamepass pic?

I know Warhammer: Darktide and I'm sure there were 3 or 4 more games announced previously that didn't make that infographic.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Bold is 100% on point. Why do the OP and\or the author always forgetting that many people rent their games, borrow their games, or buy their games used? Who spends $70 on every game purchase in the real world?

The one thing about this though that's not being quantified is all the games you get to try that you would not have, and sometimes they are even fantastic games. I would have never tried tetris effect if not for gamepass, and that would have been a straight up travesty.

Top Bottom