• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass - Includes over 100 Games at Launch, 14 Day Trial (Live Now)

New games for October

https://news.xbox.com/2017/09/28/xbox-game-pass-october-2017/

n honor of our Halloween theme through October, our Game Pass Goal will focus on unlocking achievements in our Frightfully Fun collection of titles. Getting an achievement in two different games from the collection gets you a reward, but you’ll need to get an achievement in six different Frightfully Fun games this month if you want to be eligible for the grand prize!

Lastly, we are excited to announce that fans can now use Xbox Gift Card credit to purchase an Xbox Game Pass membership. Starting September 12 and in addition to debit card, credit card and PayPal, an Xbox Game Pass membership can be purchased with an Xbox Gift Card, or existing credit sufficient to cover the low monthly fee.

Now let’s learn more about the new games coming to Xbox Game Pass in October:

Super Street Fighter IV

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls – get your fight sticks ready, because Capcom’s Super Street Fighter IV is coming to Xbox Game Pass! Street Fighter is a legendary fighting franchise and for our money, SSF IV is one of the greatest fighting games ever released. Fight as Ken, Cammy, Zangief, Dhalsim, and the rest of the crew across a variety of single and multiplayer game modes, including classic Arcade and online ranked head-to-head battles. Fine tune your strategy and stickwork to become one of the finest combatants Street Fighter has ever seen. Or at least, the best fighter your couch has ever seen.

State of Decay

We are so excited to announce Undead Lab’s gem, State of Decay, is also joining Xbox Game Pass in October! Remastered and re-released for Xbox One, State of Decay is an engrossing third-person open world zombie action survival game (say that three times fast) where you step into the shoes of everyday store clerk Marcus Campbell, tasked with navigating the apocalypse and contributing to the survival of your friend and newfound allies in Trumbull Valley. If you’re a fan of zombie games or survival games, here’s your bacon. And don’t forget, the saga continues with State of Decay 2, coming soon to the Xbox One family of devices in 2018!

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

The deal sweetens in October with Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, the fun and exciting standalone epilogue to the open world action adventure hit, Saints Row IV: Re-Elected. Choose either Johnny or Kinzie, and use your superpowers to defeat enemies, summon demons, and defeat Satan (never a small achievement). Also, if you’ve been enjoying Saints Row IV and continue enjoying the action in Gat Out of Hell, you should check out the latest installment in the Saints Row realm, Agents of Mayhem, available right now in the Xbox Store.

The Bug Butcher

You’re welcome; we’ll just say that now. Because we think you are really going to dig Awfully Nice’s The Bug Butcher. Jump into your classic story-based Arcade mode or see how long you can last against the insect horde in Panic mode. Whichever you choose, the premise is simple: look up, squeeze trigger, and use power-ups to obliterate every enemy bug that comes your way. Oh, and try not to get hit. Do that, and you’ll easily collect all 90 stars on hard in Arcade mode and become a legend as the last Bug Butcher standing atop the leaderboards in Panic mode. If only it were as easy as it sounds. Things can get heavy in a hurry in Panic mode, so consider finding a friend to fight alongside you for some co-op action! We love this game and are so excited to share it with our members. Want a target to shoot for? Beat all 30 levels in Arcade mode and collect 51 or more stars to best the Xbox Game Pass team top performer.

Costume Quest 2

Halloween isn’t all scares and screams. Double Fine’s Costume Quest 2 is great Halloween-focused fun for all ages this October. Costume Quest 2 is set on Halloween night and offers players the choice to control one of two twins, Reynold or Wren, and discover the host of fun Halloween surprises their neighborhood has in store as you try to save Halloween from the evil dentist, Dr. White. Of course, evil villains are sometimes complex individuals, so take a hop in the Costume Quest time machine to learn more about why the evil dentist grew to hate Halloween and how you may be able to end he and his orcs’ reign of candy-less terror. Engage the locals in conversation, smash objects with your candy bag, combat monsters, and evolve both your powers and costume as you level up this October in Costume Quest 2.

Maldita Castilla EX – Cursed Castle

When we think of castles, we think of ghosts. And when we think of ghosts, we think of Halloween. So, it only makes sense that we would bring you Maldita Castilla EX this month, a tremendous retro medieval platformer and extension upon the original Maldita Castilla arcade game. But beware: conquering the Castle is not for the faint at heart. This is a challenging game with multiple endings depending on how precise your stickwork is (aka how often you die). Make it through in a single run without dying and unlock the ultimate ending. Or accept the frequent deaths and simply enjoy the scenery, which is full of all kinds of spooky, grotesque, and interesting enemies and objects throughout the game.

Tower of Guns

Your mission in Tower of Guns is clear and present — run the gauntlet and destroy the Tower of Guns. Actually, achieving that mission in this first-person shooter is both fun and challenging, as you select one gun and one perk to help you through each run at the Tower. Replayability for Tower of Guns is high, with randomly generating levels ensuring familiar but fresh experiences across hours and hours of gameplay. Dodge cannon shots, malicious robots, and grab secret loot stashes as you strategically move from room to room and take your shot at glory. Can you take the Tower?

Chris1

I'm not expecting it, but hopefully they announce which games will leave more than 3-4 days in advance.

yep first games leave in november, they will probably announce the games that are leaving the same time new games get announced

my bet is a big game is added to soften the blow of games leaving and to steer the media articles direction to "X comes to game pass" rather than "X leaves game pass", gonna go with Gears 4 since it's getting a pretty big patch for the X

Vert boil

Octobers games are up now except for State of Decay, shouldn't take too long for them to fix it.

Costume Quest 2 (One)
Maldita Castilla EX (One)
Saint's Row: Gat Out of Hell (One)
State of Decay (One)
Super Street Fighter IV (360 BC)
The Bug Butcher (One)
Tower of Guns (One)

MouldyK

So would you guys say it’s worth the price?

Really tempted, but on the fence.

Sell me on it...or tell me why I shouldn’t get it.

Alx

So would you guys say it's worth the price?

Really tempted, but on the fence.

Sell me on it...or tell me why I shouldn't get it.

There is a 14 days free trial, it's probably best if you see for yourself if it's for you or not.
As for myself I haven't subscribed yet because of my backlog, but my intention was to try it first, maybe subscribe here and there for one month or two to play a few games I want. Not too different from how I subscribe to Netflix (never stayed more than 4 months in a row)

MouldyK

There is a 14 days free trial, it's probably best if you see for yourself if it's for you or not.
As for myself I haven't subscribed yet because of my backlog, but my intention was to try it first, maybe subscribe here and there for one month or two to play a few games I want. Not too different from how I subscribe to Netflix (never stayed more than 4 months in a row)

I got a Month Free Code from EGX so I’m using it to try out State of Decay as the game always interested me, but I have to get out the “Try to do everything” mantra I sometimes have and enjoy the game for what it is.

pswii60

Not amazing additions but given there aren't any removals I suppose it's not too bad.

To confirm, if a game is removed from the service, do you lose access to it even if you're still subscribing? Do they give any advanced warning about games being removed from the service?

Edit: It says MGSV will be on the service for 3 months. Wasn't MGSV just recently a Plus game on PS4?

Chris1

Not amazing additions but given there aren't any removals I suppose it's not too bad.

To confirm, if a game is removed from the service, do you lose access to it even if you're still subscribing? Do they give any advanced warning about games being removed from the service?
MGS is pretty amazing.. I know people here don't like it but it is a 94? metacritic.

Yes you lose access, yes they will give advanced warning but not sure how far in advance. Probably announce games leaving the same times new games are added, so a couple of days.

Edit: I see your edit, interesting that it's leaving in 3 months. That's plenty of time to complete it if people want though.

pswii60

MGS is pretty amazing.. I know people here don't like it but it is a 94? metacritic.

Yes you lose access, yes they will give advanced warning but not sure how far in advance. Probably announce games leaving the same times new games are added, so a couple of days.
I didn't mean the games weren't great, just that they're a bit older now and available for cheap. I thought Game Pass was going to offer us more recent titles, but I suppose the service is still finding its feet at this stage and third party publishers will want to give it more time before fully embracing it.

When I get my X it'll be the first time I'm jumping back in to Xbox since the 360, having been exclusively PS4 (and more recently Switch too) this gen. So between Game Pass, EA Access and Gold I'm going to have a decent library day one and won't need to buy anything for a while, so it's still good for someone like me jumping in so late :)

Alx

The more they add to the library and the more scared I am to subscribe. It would be like having your backlog triple its size in an instant, "OMG all those games, so little time !".
Obviously a good thing especially for newcomers to the platform, but still I wouldn't know where to begin.

Chris1

I didn't mean the games weren't great, just that they're a bit older now and available for cheap. I thought Game Pass was going to offer us more recent titles, but I suppose the service is still finding its feet at this stage and third party publishers will want to give it more time before fully embracing it.

Well, Halo Wars DE is pretty new. But I wouldn't expect new games tbh, the service is only $10 after all there has to be some sort of wait before adding it to the gamepass otherwise noone will buy games.

I think most of the "newer" games we see will be coming from MS since they will be getting the bulk of the profit from game pass. All their $20-$40 games will probably be on the service within a year like Recore and Halo Wars DE, while their $60 games might take a litle longer. So stuff like Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale will make it before this time next year.

Vert boil

**this will likely be a tale from my arse**

When they were added a few games had their discounts ending this year. These could be extended at any time so again, tales from my arse.

November 1st 2017,
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Dead Island Definitive edition
DmC
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil 6

December 1st 2017,
NBA 2K16
WWE 2K16

Kaji AF16

I started the free trial yesterday just to get some achievements from F1 2015. After checking the available games and downloading several among them (RE6, Garou MOTW, Recore, etc.), I am seriously considering paying the monthly fee.

01DragonFly

Vert boil

The new games for December are available to download now,

Casey Powell Lacrosse 16
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Gears of War 4
Mass Effect 1 (360 BC)
Mega Man 10 (360 BC)
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter
This War of Mine: The Little Ones

Hot damn, I remember playing Ninja Gaiden Black back when it released, I can't believe it's been so long and even on OG Xbox.
Game is still hard but I do remember dying a lot back then, more than I do now.

solis74

The new games for December are available to download now,

Casey Powell Lacrosse 16
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Gears of War 4
Mass Effect 1 (360 BC)
Mega Man 10 (360 BC)
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter
This War of Mine: The Little Ones

nice

Vert boil

Games that will be coming in January,

Bayonetta (360 BC)
Deadlight: Director’s Cut
Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
Fuzion Frenzy (OG Xbox)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (360 BC)
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes
NBA Playgrounds
Tecmo Bowl Throwback (360 BC)
WRC 5 FIA World Rally Championship
Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection

Currently 1$ for people that haven't subbed yet.

They are? Hmm... I have Game Pass - how do I access the Play Anywhere games on my PC? I hate the Windows Store, so I'm not surprised I haven't figured it out.

When I look at my library on the Windows Store, the only Xbox games that show there are ones I have actually purchased.

Vert boil

They are? Hmm... I have Game Pass - how do I access the Play Anywhere games on my PC? I hate the Windows Store, so I'm not surprised I haven't figured it out.

When I look at my library on the Windows Store, the only Xbox games that show there are ones I have actually purchased.

In the store app just go to the Gears of War 4, Recore or Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection page and there will be an Install button alongside the Install on Xbox One button. Halo Wars 2 and Riptide GP Renegade will be playable at the start of Feb.

In the store app just go to the Gears of War 4, Recore or Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection page and there will be an Install button alongside the Install on Xbox One button. Halo Wars 2 and Riptide GP Renegade will be playable at the start of Feb.

Ah, so there's no way to simply see all the Game Pass games that are available, you have to go to each game in the store. Why does this not surprise me? Ugh. WTF is up with Microsoft and the Windows Store? Some of this stuff would just be common sense to implement.

Now I'll have to make sure to keep checking to see which games on Game Pass are Play Anywhere, and then go to each game in the store directly. Got it.

Anyway, thanks though! That is great to know.

Last edited:

Vert boil

^^Halo Wars 1 is also a play anywhere title.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and WWE 2k16 will be leaving Game Pass on Jan 31st.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This... Is... HUGE.

Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Froza, Gears... Any new version that comes out will now be on Gamepass and free to those who subscribe. That's INSANE. Good job MS, you just made something that was already awesome a total steal.

Top Bottom