• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass - Includes over 100 Games at Launch, 14 Day Trial (Live Now)

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
They barely have anything coming out this year so I guess that makes sense.

Yeah, they barely have anything. If you only own a PS4 you mean? Get that fanboy bullshit out of here, cheers. I'm looking forward to God Of War and... Nothing else. Meanwhile, on my xbox, I'm looking forward to a lot more...

Alx

That's great. I wasn't sure to pay 70€ for Sea of Thieves, but I'll definitely open a subscription for its release in March.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I think there may still be a one week for free trial? Also don't forget, those of you who bought an xbox one x, you got a month for free as well :)

That's just crazy, Microsoft has to lose money on this right?

$60 for a game or $10 to play it for a month. That's plenty of time to finish most games. Even games like Halo I normally only play for a few months.

enewtabie

Don't forget if you use Microsoft rewards, you can use points from using Bing and answering quizzes to buy Game pass as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's actually pretty cool and certainly adds more value to the service.

But for me this just confirms that Microsoft is following the industry and pivoting towards "service" games - they don't care much about losing out on the initial value if they can get you with microtransactions. And of course you're much more willing to spend money on microtransactions since the game was "free" as part of your subscription service. I guess time will tell if my fears are justified.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
kaboom.gif

Wow.

Like netflix, I suspect this will evolve to mainly Microsoft created stuff with older and smaller 3rd parties MS can put up there for cheap.

And just to clarify, its not a trial for ms Exclusives you get to play them as long as you have an active game pass sub.

Thorrgal

i guess

But for me this just confirms that Microsoft is following the industry and pivoting towards "service" games - they don't care much about losing out on the initial value if they can get you with microtransactions. And of course you're much more willing to spend money on microtransactions since the game was "free" as part of your subscription service. I guess time will tell if my fears are justified.

Looks like it

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
They barely have anything coming out this year so I guess that makes sense.
Although a valid opinion to have, posting it in this manner without expanding on your feelings is not the best way to present your opinions. It also encourages responses like this:
Yeah, they barely have anything. If you only own a PS4 you mean? Get that fanboy bullshit out of here, cheers. I'm looking forward to God Of War and... Nothing else. Meanwhile, on my xbox, I'm looking forward to a lot more...
Which also shouldn't be happening as it only adds to the issues with the original post.

Thanks.

As an aside to any people posting threads here, I know it's on the official site but we generally don't like to see full articles posted here as it can reduce the hits to the site that have put the work into the article. It's generally best to post the salient points and then people who want more information can then choose to visit the site if they need more information.

I'd be grateful if you could edit the original post to do that Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens :)

Vert boil

Nice addition coming soon,

Today, we’re excited to announce plans for a major expansion to Xbox Game Pass that underscores our commitment to deliver our fans the ultimate gaming subscription service.

Moving forward, we plan to release all new Xbox One exclusive games from Microsoft Studios into Xbox Game Pass on the same date as their global release. This means that when Sea of Thieves launches on March 20, it will be included in Xbox Game Pass to all members.

This plan to bring new games timed with their global release into Xbox Game Pass not only includes announced titles like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, and Crackdown 3 but future unannounced games from Microsoft Studios including new iterations of our biggest Xbox One exclusive franchises such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War, on the same day they launch.

https://majornelson.com/2018/01/23/...-include-new-releases-from-microsoft-studios/

Well, if you don't mind collecting games or replaying them, it's an insane deal. It's perfect for a play and burn typology of gamer.
If you want to have your games at your disposal, not so much, since you will always have to renew your membership, it's a fidelization programm. But it makes sense because ms exclusives are now more weak than ever, but they can boost this type of subscription. It's a great strategy.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its disapointing the other thread got merged!

Exclusives being on game pass is big news and deserves its own thread!

It really does deserve it's own thread. This is risky move but a very smart one. MS can focus on getting more users to pay for DLC now since they have more access to their games catalog. That is the catch. Obviously, you won't get special editions and season passes for new games.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.

You're correct it does, this was my error though and I do apologise to both Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens and Vert boil Vert boil for doing that after they both took the time to create the threads.

We're hurrying around trying to find ways to undo it but we're not having any luck, new toys and stuff. :(

Please feel free to create a new one and I am genuinely sorry for MY error.

Calibos

This is an awesome addition. Gamepass already includes a ton of great games to play while you wait for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and whatever else they have coming...Good job.

Vert boil

Feb's games are up early,

Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition
Fable Anniversary (360 BC)
Halo Wars 2 (XPA) (on Xbox you have to DL the base game (that doesn't have a price attached) not the standard edition version atm)
Letter Quest: Grimm’s Journey
NBA 2K17
RiME
Riptide Renegade GP (XPA)
WWE 2K17

sublimit

Banned
For me this is the biggest Trojan Horse ever conceived in gaming. With just one move Microsoft will finally plunge the final nail on the retail market's coffin with all the consequences that come with it (no more used games, no option to exchange games with friends etc). They are basically doing what they tried to do with the start of this gen but this time with a much more subtle way targeting our gamer's greed and our inability to see too much ahead.We will have so many games to play but basically we will be owning nothing but hot air.
Don Matrick must be laughing hard right now...

For me this is the biggest Trojan Horse ever conceived in gaming. With just one move Microsoft will finally plunge the final nail on the retail market's coffin with all the consequences that come with it (no more used games, no option to exchange games with friends etc). They are basically doing what they tried to do with the start of this gen but this time with a much more subtle way targeting our gamer's greed and our inability to see too much ahead.We will have so many games to play but basically we will be owning nothing but hot air.

Playstation Now has been out much longer, has more games, yet I can still buy PS3 games but I guess if Microsoft offers a monthly service the world will end. If there is a market for physical games there will continue to be a market for physical games. If you are suggesting you will not be able to buy the physical copy of Crackdown 3 then you are gravely mistaken, so enough of the exaggerations.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Playstation Now has been out much longer, has more games, yet I can still buy PS3 games but I guess if Microsoft offers a monthly service the world will end. If there is a market for physical games there will continue to be a market for physical games. If you are suggesting you will not be able to buy the physical copy of Crackdown 3 then you are gravely mistaken, so enough of the exaggerations.

PlayStation Now is different. It's streaming games which makes it cool that you don't need a console. But less cool that the games look worse. Game Pass downloads the game to your Xbox and you play it there. The only thing really like it is EA's services on the Xbox or PC. It's also different from the "free" games with PS+ and Xbox Live. Those you need to claim each month. This is a library you have full access when you subscribe.

munroe

We will have so many games to play but basically we will be owning nothing but hot air.

How is this any different to say Steam? Everyone who shops on Steam probably has a large collection of games but ultimately are "owning nothing but hot air"

Or if comparing purely gamepass how about a video streaming service like Netflix? You don't own any of the films/TV shows yet these still get sold in stores

Retailers can still sell hardware and 3rd party games. Ultimately this is good for the consumer. A new customer needs only pick up an Xbox and gamepass and they have access to 100+ games straight away.

Last edited:
PlayStation Now is different. It's streaming games which makes it cool that you don't need a console. But less cool that the games look worse. Game Pass downloads the game to your Xbox and you play it there. The only thing really like it is EA's services on the Xbox or PC. It's also different from the "free" games with PS+ and Xbox Live. Those you need to claim each month. This is a library you have full access when you subscribe.

Full access? It only has about 100 games and you never explained how this is going to replace physical games when they are still selling new games in physical form that are also on Game Pass. Sony and Nintendo sell new games on their own stores you can download, that didn't kill physical copies anymore than this service will

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I find it strange that Microsoft continues to advertise this as “over 100 games” when it’s actually over 150. They’re underselling it.

My only console right now is an Xbox One S. Had a Pro but I haven't owned a Sony console for more than six months since the original PlayStation lol. I'm such a rabid Sony fanboy lol.

SScorpio

Full access? It only has about 100 games and you never explained how this is going to replace physical games when they are still selling new games in physical form that are also on Game Pass. Sony and Nintendo sell new games on their own stores you can download, that didn't kill physical copies anymore than this service will

Yes, "Full Access". With PS+ or Xbox Live you only get the games you claim. Someone just starting the use or either service will have the two games available for the month. With Game Pass you have immediate access to those 100 games.

And yes there will be physical copies of games like Crackdown 3. But Game Pass is going to put a dent in the sales. Why buy Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves if for the same price I could have a year of Game Pass and play both games on launch day, along with other games? Some people do like to hold on to their copies of games. But looking at places like Gamestop, plenty don't.

Digital versions of games have also affected physical sales. But outside of games being pulled for licensing issues like music. Many times it's easy and cheap to pick up a digital copy of a niche game. There are even some games that completely skip having a physical release.

Nobody knows just how this service will affect gaming, but have a Netflix of games would be enough for a whole lot of people. Look at console attach rates. Having 5-6 games per console sold is considered good. Paying $10/month would fit a lot of people's budgets, and Microsoft would be keeping a lot more of that money than the sale of physical games at retail stores.

Virtua Fighter 5 FS? Metal Slug? NeoGeo Battle Colosseum? Monster World and Pac Man DX+?

Tasteful as fuck launching of the service between those aforementioned titles and the heavy hitters like Gears 1-3 and Halo 5.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Virtua Fighter 5 FS? Metal Slug? NeoGeo Battle Colosseum? Monster World and Pac Man DX+?

Tasteful as fuck launching of the service between those aforementioned titles and the heavy hitters like Gears 1-3 and Halo 5.

Huh?

When sea of thieves comes out I’ll definitely subscribe and you get a discount on purchasing games guess that’s how I’ll buy crackdown 3

DonJimbo

Great concept but 10 bucks per month is too much money if you can buy the game second hand or in a sale or download it from the store

cooper59

Banned

you don't know what micrograms are, do you?because paying 10 month to play over a 100 games is not microtrans.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you don't know what micrograms are, do you?because paying 10 month to play over a 100 games is not microtrans.

I think maybe you misunderstood. Yes at it's core it's still over 100 games you can play for $10/month and it's a great deal.

But these games won't include any of the DLC - that will be extra. Even current games like Forza Horizon 3, people say that the DLC is better than the base game. And Microsoft is pulling some interesting human behavioral responses in this area, because your brain says during a purchase decision "It's okay, the game was free so I can spend $20 on the DLC". The DLC will still add value to the game sure, but a lot of people are more likely to buy the DLC now since they got the base game "for free". I'm sure they have tons of market research in this area in regards to GWG titles.

My fear, which is hopefully unfounded, is that we'll see more egregious abusers of micro-transactions (think Battlefront 2) but people will be totally cool with it since, again, the game itself was "free". Anyone complaining about it will probably be told "it's not like you have to play that game" or even "you didn't pay for the base game so stop being ungrateful". Kinda like how if there's a terrible show on Netflix, people just kind of shrug it off and will tell you to "just watch something else". On that note, people are calling this "Netflix for gaming" which is somewhat accurate, I just worry it will turn into "like Netflix for gaming, where the first season of your favorite shows are free and additional seasons cost even more money."

Vert boil

New games coming in March,

Dovetail Games: Euro Fishing
Oxenfree (PC version isn't XPA.)
Resident Evil Revelation 2 (full game)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC version isn't XPA.)
Sea of Thieves (XPA. Available March 20th)
Sonic CD (360 BC)
Super Lucky’s Tale (XPA)
The Final Station

Some game will likely be leaving soon (no official announcement other than them being temp list of the gamepass dash earlier this month),

Capcom Arcade Cabinet
Dark Void
D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die
Flock
Iron Brigade
Joe Danger 2: The movie
Monday Night Combat
N+
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage
Sega Vintage Collection: Monster world
Strider
Virtua fighter 5: Final Showdown

Last edited:

hiphopcr

New games coming in March,

Dovetail Games: Euro Fishing
Oxenfree (PC version isn't XPA.)
Resident Evil Revelation 2 (full game)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC version isn't XPA.)
Sea of Thieves (XPA. Available March 20th)
Sonic CD (360 BC)
Super Lucky’s Tale (XPA)
The Final Station
Great! Somehow never played RoTR... will give me something to do until Sea of Thieves

lefty1117

Gold Member

My thoughts exactly. The original vision for the Xbox One was to move away from retail purchases - it would be either purchased digitally or a subscription service, though I don't remember a lot of talk about the latter. EA Access I think proved the viability of that approach. But going back to the first point, they were pretty dead on that digital sales would be more common than physical. Poor Don, I guess he really was a visionary :p

Vert boil

If you want to pre-download Seas of Thieves you can start downloading it from the New Zealand region now. 9.16GB for Original One's, 19GB for the enhanced version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/p/sea-of-thieves/9p2n57mc619k

You might have to switch to New Zealand on you console to start the download (Settings>System>Language & Location>Location to New Zealand>Restart Now). Once the download has started you can switch back to you normal region and the download will continue.

Alx

The original vision for the Xbox One was to move away from retail purchases - it would be either purchased digitally or a subscription service, though I don't remember a lot of talk about the latter.

As a matter of fact, it was a way to give retail purchases a place in the digital market. The whole concept was "buy a physical game, use it as a digital one". Only to make it work it required stricter DRM, and that's what caused its failure.

If you want to pre-download Seas of Thieves you can start downloading it from the New Zealand region now. 9.16GB for Original One's, 19GB for the enhanced version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/p/sea-of-thieves/9p2n57mc619k

You might have to switch to New Zealand on you console to start the download (Settings>System>Language & Location>Location to New Zealand>Restart Now). Once the download has started you can switch back to you normal region and the download will continue.
You can actually play the game early via the same method if you have the Game Pass (not the preorder).

I think maybe you misunderstood. Yes at it's core it's still over 100 games you can play for $10/month and it's a great deal.

But these games won't include any of the DLC - that will be extra. Even current games like Forza Horizon 3, people say that the DLC is better than the base game. And Microsoft is pulling some interesting human behavioral responses in this area, because your brain says during a purchase decision "It's okay, the game was free so I can spend $20 on the DLC". The DLC will still add value to the game sure, but a lot of people are more likely to buy the DLC now since they got the base game "for free". I'm sure they have tons of market research in this area in regards to GWG titles.

My fear, which is hopefully unfounded, is that we'll see more egregious abusers of micro-transactions (think Battlefront 2) but people will be totally cool with it since, again, the game itself was "free". Anyone complaining about it will probably be told "it's not like you have to play that game" or even "you didn't pay for the base game so stop being ungrateful". Kinda like how if there's a terrible show on Netflix, people just kind of shrug it off and will tell you to "just watch something else". On that note, people are calling this "Netflix for gaming" which is somewhat accurate, I just worry it will turn into "like Netflix for gaming, where the first season of your favorite shows are free and additional seasons cost even more money."

I find TV shows better than ever thanks to investments made by Netflix, Amazon and so on. Your comment about DLC and Forza Horizon 3 don't make much sense either. The game itself was good and the DLC made it even better. You're trying way too hard to now make it seem like any DLC from here on out will be needed more than ever to compensate for the low entry fee of the subscription. The service is going to live or die based on the content it provides and a free to play model you are implying wouldn't take too long for consumers to stop subscribing.

It's funny how some act like once they commit to something there is no turning back.

VAL0R

Banned
I find TV shows better than ever thanks to investments made by Netflix, Amazon and so on. Your comment about DLC and Forza Horizon 3 don't make much sense either. The game itself was good and the DLC made it even better. You're trying way too hard to now make it seem like any DLC from here on out will be needed more than ever to compensate for the low entry fee of the subscription. The service is going to live or die based on the content it provides and a free to play model you are implying wouldn't take too long for consumers to stop subscribing.

It's funny how some act like once they commit to something there is no turning back.

Also GP will include DLC at times aparrently. State of Decay has the Lifeline and Breakdown DLC included, right?

Top Bottom