• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass India Subscription Free for 8 Months For All Members

Kagey K

Banned
If Microsoft wants to compete with Sony and offer value, they should first be cutting the price of Series S in India by atleast $100 equivalent. Its too overpriced currently. PS5 digital edition is just $70 more and far more powerful.
I don’t know the demographics there, but how many in India have a 4K tv?

Is 70, a lot to a person working there? Is it just a couple hours extra?

If 70, is a lot then wouldn’t having something like Gamepass be much cheaper in the end. Instead of paying 70 every time a new game came out?

or is the extra 70,plus 70 p,us 70 plus 70 not 210 more?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If Microsoft wants to compete with Sony and offer value, they should first be cutting the price of Series S in India by atleast $100 equivalent. Its too overpriced currently. PS5 digital edition is just $70 more and far more powerful.
Yeah, but the main value the Series S brings to the table is Gamepass and cheaper gaming.
buying a digital PS5 and being stuck with $70 or $60 games is a tough call for many in that economy. The regular PS5 would then be the much better long term purchase since you can swap or resell games.

it’d be interesting to see if the $399 steamdeck takes off there, even though it’s seriously underpowered for TV gaming.

Azurro

Banned
"The Reserve Bank of India recently added new requirements for processing recurring transactions through the RBI-E mandate, intended to enhance the safety and security of these transactions," reads the email from Microsoft. "We at Microsoft are updating our payment systems to enable recurring payments in accordance with these requirements. In the meantime to help avoid disruption, we have added 8-months of Xbox Game Pass ultimate to your account at no additional charge so you don't have to worry about making recurring payments during this time and can just enjoy playing games.

Interesting, it sounds like they either didn't see those changes coming, the Indian government just went ahead with the changes without giving proper warnings to businesses or they are so late to implementing them that they need to give up 8 months of revenue to finish the implementation. Still, that's pretty much unheard of and not something a business wants to do.

Kagey K

Banned
Interesting, it sounds like they either didn't see those changes coming, the Indian government just went ahead with the changes without giving proper warnings to businesses or they are so late to implementing them that they need to give up 8 months of revenue to finish the implementation. Still, that's pretty much unheard of and not something a business wants to do.
It is a great example of customer service though.

I know now we are all used to poor to shitty customer service, so seeing an example of it done right makes us all feel like we are missing out.

Have to give credit where credit is due, when a company makes good though.

Good form by Microsoft. Nothing but a positive move here from a consumer's perspective.
billy-dee-williams-clapping.gif

This should not have been necessary, though. Could the Indian government not give advance enough warning?

RBI isn't as bad as Government. All streaming services have already made changes in payment processing.

This just seems like a goodwill gesture.

If 70, is a lot then wouldn’t having something like Gamepass be much cheaper in the end. Instead of paying 70 every time a new game came out?

$70 is lot in India. Minimum wages can be $100 a month.

It's a different economy, not geared towards consumption, especially electronic items.

Azurro

Banned
It is a great example of customer service though.

I know now we are all used to poor to shitty customer service, so seeing an example of it done right makes us all feel like we are missing out.

Have to give credit where credit is due, when a company makes good though.

It's not customer service, they literally can't process recurring transactions, so they HAVE to do it. It's a fuck up of epic proportions if a business can't process recurring payments. Of course it's great for the users, but I wonder what went wrong there.

Kagey K

Banned
RBI isn't as bad as Government. All streaming services have already made changes in payment processing.

This just seems like a goodwill gesture.

$70 is lot in India. Minimum wages can be $100 a month.

It's a different economy, not geared towards consumption, especially electronic items.
So the post saying only 70 more can be 6 months to a year worth of savings, that seems like a big gap, not the minor one they intended it to be.

Kagey K

Banned
It's not customer service, they literally can't process recurring transactions, so they HAVE to do it. It's a fuck up of epic proportions if a business can't process recurring payments. Of course it's great for the users, but I wonder what went wrong there.
They could have just cancelled all subscriptions, instead of honouring them.

Of course it’s customer service. Seems like there were a few companies that did full cancellations.

So the post saying only 70 more can be 6 months to a year worth of savings, that seems like a big gap, not the minor one they intended it to be.

Umm, it's a bit more complicated than that.

People earning minimum wages tend not to be interested in console gaming. Lol.

With some qualifications/experience, you can earn more like $500 a month. At that point you can afford gaming cause everything else is much cheaper.

RaZoR No1

It is you rich country guy. People in developing country also play games.

There are many game pass users there but they use it mainly game pass PC and some Xbox
Found the Indian guy? /s

Most of the developing countries prefered playstation over anything else. (at least in the past)

Nowhere I mentioned or said they are too poor or not playing any games at all, so stop with the prejudices.

It is just a fact that Xbox is not that famous in asian countries like in the West and for me it is unkown how popular and how many sales or Gamepass users Xbox has in India..

How generous the gift from MS is depends on that number.

Kagey K

Banned
Umm, it's a bit more complicated than that.

People earning minimum wages tend not to be interested in console gaming. Lol.

With some qualifications/experience, you can earn more like $500 a month. At that point you can afford gaming cause everything else is much cheaper.
K well that upsets me a bit. I believe that gaming belongs to the Everyman.

You shouldn’t have to be rich or elite to be able to enjoy something outside your reality.

Again makes that trivial 70.00 seems so much bigger, but I guess when you can afford it.

Thank you for the info, I honestly had no clue prior.

Kagey K

Banned
Found the Indian guy? /s

Most of the developing countries prefered playstation over anything else. (at least in the past)

Nowhere I mentioned or said they are too poor or not playing any games at all, so stop with the prejudices.

It is just a fact that Xbox is not that famous in asian countries like in the West and for me it is unkown how popular and how many sales or Gamepass users Xbox has in India..

Wasn’t it’s popularity based on how easy it was to pirate games?

PS2 and 3 were broken to the point you could buy one and never buy a game.

I haven’t heard much about sales for PS4 and 5.

Hydroxy

Yes gamepass is tremendous value but I still feel Microsoft is leaving some money on the table by keeping a high barrier to entry for Series S. Xbox One S was a similar product that Series S is this gen but One S was priced around $300 while this is $500 for no discernible reason.

Kagey K

Banned
There always has been. Its the skin that is a lot thinner.
Look at all the talk talk about actual games, here now.

Even if it’s only been a week or two the culling was worth it.

It’s a much more pleasant place to be and actual game discussion has never been better, those that want to derail threads can take longer breaks.

And I hate seeing anyone banned.

Ozriel

M$FT

I suspect it’s not that inconvenient for them. India has never been a big market for their games and services, and this way this works as a face-saving way to give a demo to Indian customers and try to make a push for a decent toehold in a country with a massive population.

RaZoR No1

Wasn’t it’s popularity based on how easy it was to pirate games?

PS2 and 3 were broken to the point you could buy one and never buy a game.

I haven’t heard much about sales for PS4 and 5.
Then PS4 should have high sale numbers too.

On older FW the system is completly open and afaik all games until 03/2020 can be played

cragarmi

what? Did you not read that it is game pass ultimate being offered? How does that double sub numbers
As not all Xbox Games Pass games are available on PC, and visa versa, that makes the subscriptions for both, 2 separate entities, so you better believe that everyone who has GPU is counted as 2 Game Pass subscriptions! Now I don't know this for a fact, but if you wanted to show dominance in the subscription service industry, and you weren't made to disclose how you were calculating numbers anyway, why wouldn't you?

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

I have read online that all accounts have access to gamepass titles on a xbox. You could download using India account, then play using main account.

But I feel gold conversion trick itself is good enough for most people.
Does the gold conversion trick still work in the UK?

I've got about 5 days remaining on my current ultimate sub.

I just buy a years normal gold and then one month ultimate to upgrade all of it?

Md Ray

Jeez at that list. Why didn't you subscribe before?
Haha, I had subbed to 1 mnth GP Ultimate before but never got the chance to check them all out in time. Also, my GTX 970 was dead so couldn't play anything until I got a 3070.
Play Hades and Ori. Both are great games.
Will definitely do. Can't wait to play Hades especially. :)
If you like Lonely Mountains, Descenders is on there as well and is basically the same thing with a full 3D camera. Both are a lot of fun.
Fantastic. Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to check that out actually.
Download and play Prey. It's better than all of these games combined.
Awesome. I think I might have it on Steam.:messenger_ok:

Found the Indian guy? /s

Xbox real sales are unknown everywhere

CitizenZ

Banned
Because the banks changed the way subscription payments can be done in the country, and they are giving the people a break while updating thier systems to the new laws?

Or is it something more sinister?

You know how the stock market works right? A sub is a sub even if they are not paying. They have to make sure they show growth, this ensures that factor.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have given MS a whole dollar for the 4 years that I have it. But this is a great deal for game players of India.

Kagey K

Banned
You know how the stock market works right? A sub is a sub even if they are not paying. They have to make sure they show growth, this ensures that factor.
I know enough that any thing Xbox doesn’t move the stock a penny up or down. Investors don’t even ask about Xbox in the open calls.

They aren’t doing it for the stock prices, if that is what you are suggesting.

CitizenZ

Banned
They’ve had no trouble with growth so far.

no one know how many PAID subs there actually are, they only provide numbers. Reminder there are are dozens, literally, of free months of giveaways for GP tied to almost anything electronic Laptops, Graphic Cards, consoles, etc.

Kokoloko85

Soon…… MS: “We have a billion Subscribers”

MS is gonna bleed money to keep this going and good thing for them they can afford it and some

FrankWza

Back for less than a week and already being the hall monitor.

It has nothing to do with thin skin. I’m sure if anyone went into a PSNow thread and posted the same shit they would be banned as well.

Get over it and stop shitposting in threads you don’t actually care about.

It’s not that fucking hard.
back from where? What were you doing? Staring at my account to see my activity? Kreepy. Calling people out for bs=hall monitor? Ok, but it’s better than being a rat.
And shitpost?

As a pleasant side effect…. the seething from some in this thread has been entertaining.
You can spell cagey with a k but you’ll always be a c word ;)
200.gif

Top Bottom