• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass is five times more popular than PlayStation Now

d7LvO3M.png

MupGHj0.png

:messenger_hushed:

It was $19.99 up until October of last year and even with the price drop they hardly market it at all.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
An IG page for your dog doesn't count as a business. Get the hell outta here. Or better yet go sign up for PS Now, it's free and it could use an extra subscriber or two.
Naaa I don't want PSNow to be successful. I hate streaming and subscription services. With all my business expertise, I can afford to actually buy games, you see.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter MS and Sony have totally different strategies. How many copies do you think Gears of War 5 sold for MS? didn't even make the NPD top 20 the month after release it only got to number 7 the month of release and NPD covers their strongest market by far the United States.

Sony has had more 10 million plus selling exclusives this gen then they ever have before, there is a reason why PSN alone makes more money for Sony than ALL of Xbox does for Microsoft and has for a while now. Think about it PSN brings in more money than Xbox console sales, physical and digital game sales, game pass, Xbox live gold subscriptions, controllers/accessories etc.

Sony's focus isn't on subscription services PSNow is just there as an option, most PlayStation gamers probably aren't interested in a subscription service right now anyway and it'd be stupid to put games that are selling millions of copies into a service where people can play them on launch day for $10 a month. That would be the fastest way to make sure that the AAA exclusives we are used to on PlayStation end up becoming a thing of the past.
OK that fine you keep paying 60 bucks for every game wile i paid nothing and get all the games launch day 1 for basically free which is better for the consumer spending 60 bucks or just 1 dollar or even free.

Naaa I don't want PSNow to be successful. I hate streaming and subscription services. With all mys business expertise, I can afford to actually buy games, you see.

Nobody with business expertise says "business expertise". That's how somebody in high school would talk like.

I'll try it I subbed once for a $1 if I see the promotion again now you have me wondering if I could again. Will suck if I can't.

I have done it twice for $1 and once for the GP Ultimate that was $2 for two months. I played through Gears 5 for $2.00 and for me it worked out because I would have hated to have paid for that game. That doesn't mean it's still going to let you do another $1 but I did them several months apart so hopefully it works for you.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
It’s $1 vs $10.

plus Sony isn’t really marketing ps now much. And the majority of worthwhile current gen games are not on ps now.
Wow. GamePass is only $1 per month?

No wonder why it's sooooo much more popular than Now. That's just a great value.

Thank you for your informative and accurate post.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like I’m the only one (certainly not, but it feels that way) in here who doesn’t care which mega corporation is leading game service numbers this quarter.

They’re fighting for my benefit, and they’re both doing well. That’s all I care about.
Best reply in the thread so far. I've been a huge fan of Game Pass and a member since day one. It's a service that just seemingly gets better with time, thanks in no small part to Microsoft committing to put their first party games there day one. I've still got about a year left on my subscription but I'm more than happy to continue paying the asking price for the subscription once it's up for renewal. The One X is a great console and with the consumer-friendly Smart Delivery system for the Series X I'm definitely planning on buying my games that way going forward in anticipation of their new console.

On the other hand, Sony has been absolutely killing it with exclusives this generation which has made buying a PlayStation 4 an incredible value. If they keep up this level of output, I'll personally have no problem forking over the cash for the PlayStation 5.

Both business models can work, it really just comes down to which you prefer and your own personal preferences and what you're comfortable paying for the things you want to play.

OK that fine you keep paying 60 bucks for every game wile i paid nothing and get all the games launch day 1 for basically free which is better for the consumer spending 60 bucks or just 1 dollar or even free.

That would hurt if MS put out anything worth a damn in the last two years lol, I was more than happy to pay for Ori 2.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Series X and Game Pass is the next-gen value proposition to beat, for me. I simply can't afford both consoles, so I'm curious to see what Sony's response to Game Pass' success will be now that it's gaining pretty serious traction...
simpson_monkey_knife_fight.gif

edit: before I get more likes, what I posted below is factually incorrect ;)

Ps now and game pass aren’t equivalent? One is a streaming service the other is games as service? Am I wrong about what PS Now is?
I think that's part of the problem -- that people still aren't clear on what PS Now is. I know I'm not. Lol Sony isn't doing a good job marketing the service (asking other things), imo.

Last edited:

Can you play PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 1 games on PSNOW? That's whats so confusing. This is the main question, how do you make additional revenue and squeeze every penny out of past games? Otherwise its going to just sit their and collect dust as a physical copy.

Consider movies on Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll and YouTube. If you like anime, you watch fighting anime like Naruto movie. After you watch it, the algorithms recommend something similar, example: dragonball z eventhough its a bit old. You are being exposed more and more to content that you never knew existed (assuming you dont know anything about dragon ballz)!!!

There are literally physical barriers to getting physical copies of something. If you download soul caliber for xbox, it will recommend other sword fighting games or fighting games like Tekken. I dont really like Tekken, but I am willing to give it a try instead of going to the store or ordering online, and when purchasing I dont like it and wanting to return it.

Same thing with music streaming and download, if I like deep house music and like one artist, it will recommend other artists in the same genre or a subset of another genre.

How do you know you like a game unless you are willing to try it with no penalty and barriers and hassles? another example:

Bayonetta Xbox 360
Bayonetta Xbox One S and Xbox One X

If you have a physical copy of Bayonetta 360, you can play it on Xbone and its fully backwards compatible. But this is when game streaming comes in. Assuming you have no lag, why purchase the physical copy of xbox 360 when you can stream it with updated graphics? You could buy a physical copy of Bayonetta Xbox One S/Bone X you like it a lot. Up to you

Last edited:
That would hurt if MS put out anything worth a damn in the last two years lol, I was more than happy to pay for Ori 2.
Just cause you don't like their games does not mean everyone share your view ill be glady to play Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 day 1 on gamepass. Can you do that with your new God of War or Spider man on PSNow nope that is why Gamepass is more popular and better.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I have done it twice for $1 and once for the GP Ultimate that was $2 for two months. I played through Gears 5 for $2.00 and for me it worked out because I would have hated to have paid for that game. That doesn't mean it's still going to let you do another $1 but I did them several months apart so hopefully it works for you.

Yeah thts what I figured because I think I did tht before but I wasnt sure after his comment 🤔

Thanks for clarification.

Vawn

Banned
Just cause you don't like their games does not mean everyone share your view ill be glady to play Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 day 1 on gamepass. Can you do that with your new God of War or Spider man on PSNow nope that is why Gamepass is more popular and better.

No one is arguing GamePass isn't a better value than PS Now.

We argue that PlayStation and Nintendo GAMES are better BECAUSE they are being made to be sold (or not sold) for full price.

I have money. Therefore, I never want to see games on Nintendo or Playstation consoles watered down for a subscription service. It's great there is an option for lesser, cheaper games as well. I'll just happily pay for the games I want and only the games I want.

I got burnt by Sony by them totally dumping PlayStation 3. I had so many games, and was a proud owner, and thought it would cross over!! Billions of dollars invested in an exotic system and amazing games, and they only way to play them is to purchase popular most selling re-makes, or buying the ps3 with physical copies, while the other games just sink into the abyss of video game wasteland! :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Create new Xbox account. Sign up for $1 trial for your first month. Cancel recurring billing. Sign into Xbox or PC with that account, download and play games. When the trial month is up, rinse and repeat. Ideally, use a different credit card every time. You'll obviously lose your game progress between accounts. Total cost: $1.00/month.

If you want to do it on the same account like a normal sane person, the best value is pre-paying for 3 years of Xbox Live Gold ($60/year, you might be able to find cheaper deals if you shop around) then upgrading your account to Game Pass Ultimate for $1 which will convert your three years of Gold to Game Pass Ultimate. Doing this method, you'll be out $181-ish dollars but you'll be good for the next three years. Total cost: $5.02/month.

If you're already a subscriber and in the US, Best Buy and Amazon have occasionally run deals where you buy 3 months of subscription time ($45) and get 3 additional months free. So $45 for 6 months, or $7.50/month if you can wait for this deal to happen again. It's popped up about 4-5 times since Christmas. Total cost: $7.50/month
Interesting, thanks. I see Costco has 2 years for $100 too.

The game selection seems decent. I still dunno if I'd really play it all that much. Does anyone have any idea how long they'll keep that $1 upgrade promotion going?

Time is money
Money doesn't buy you time, sorry
Uh, OK.

Vawn

Banned
AAA PlayStation and Nintendo games remind me of summer blockbusters and stuff that goes straight to streaming services are made-for-TV movies.

Gamernyc78

Banned

We argue that PlayStation and Nintendo GAMES are better BECAUSE they are being made to be sold (or not sold) for full price.

I have money. Therefore, I never want to see games on Nintendo or Playstation consoles watered down for a subscription service. It's great there is an option for lesser, cheaper games as well. I'll just happily pay for the games I want and only the games I want.

Mmmm ppl have also argued tht psnow is a better proposition and it's a valid argument. You have hundreds more games, don't need plus for multiplayer on psnow and can both download and stream.

But yes I also agree we don't want watered down AA games just to fill a service.

Obviously something is going to be popular when it's been offered up with special deals. Who wouldn't take advantage of that $1 upgrade offer!?

I ended up letting the GamePass sub expire I got with an AMD GPU tho, my backlog across multiple systems is far bigger than the worthwhile games on the service so I didn't need the subscription for more games 🤷‍♂️

So being consumer friendly and not charging 60 bucks for games when it on gamepass is watered down wtf is that logic lol so you prefer to get rip off and paid full price for everything. And Nintendo remaking another Mario game and charging full price is anti consumer.

Last edited:
Lame. Come up with something smart for once.
I used the one dollar pass once. Then around Xmas they offered 3 months for 1 dollar I always unsubbed afterwards.

Now around the time of gears tactics it is being offered again for 1 dollar so I subbed.

this bizarre notion that they only offer the 1 dollar for one month is lies. The 1 dollar is constantly being offered. Might not be Consecutive months, you might have to unsubscribe for abit but they are there offering you the one dollar again.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I used the one dollar pass once. Then around Xmas they offered 3 months for 1 dollar I always unsubbed afterwards.

Now around the time of gears tactics it is being offered again for 1 dollar so I subbed.

this bizarre notion that they only offer the 1 dollar for one month is lies. The 1 dollar is constantly being offered. Might not be Consecutive months, you might have to unsubscribe for abit but they are there offering you the one dollar again.

90 days seems to be the roll over. But it also depends on if you have XBLG.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Damn they must of waters down spiderman because that’s on the subscription service now?

forza horizon is every bit as good and maybe better than all the previous horizons games. No watering down there.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Damn they must of waters down spiderman because that’s on the subscription service now?

forza horizon is every bit as good and maybe better than all the previous horizons games. No watering down there.

Well the under carriage of the lotus Elise is no longer rendered. Thanks a lot game pass.

kretos

Banned
PS Now is cheaper.

Both are 10$. Difference is one is heads and shoulders a superior service.

And because you guys are so predictable, if you're going to come back with something don't come to me with that 1$ BS.

You guys are so right. Microsoft should sit back and let Sony shit all over them, I mean any attempt they make to improve services at affordable prices and have more revenue in their business decisions is just a futile effort in their ultimate demise in the video game industry.

🙄

the service had many promotions for 1 or 2$ , hell i've seen many people a while back saying they got 2 years of gamepass for 2$

and i wasn't saying that to diss the service, in fact it's a great service with great value to consumers no one can argue about that

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
the service had many promotions for 1 or 2$ , hell i've seen many people a while back saying they got 2 years of gamepass for 2$

and i wasn't saying that to diss the service, in fact it's a great service with great value to consumers no one can argue about that
Nah I gotcha. The people (like me!) who "got two years for $1" or whatever combination you've heard - they're only telling you a half truth. You can pay $1 to upgrade your existing Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate, and whatever prepaid Gold time you have left on your account (up to three years) will be upgraded along with it. So Rentahamster Rentahamster posted earlier that Costco has 2 years of XBLG for about $100. So for about $100+$1, you could get two years of Game Pass Ultimate. An excellent deal that pencils out to just over $4/month, but still a huge difference between that and $1 for 3 years like others have claimed.

Last edited:

Yeah I've also seen "many people" on the internet tell me they have a high end gaming PC. Truth is they probably have a chrome book.

Also 10 people on Neogaf claiming something is totally irrelevant to the real world.

Bryank75

Banned
Move on kiddo, pretty sure you have some homework or something to finish before you're allowed to play your console.
I was going to send you my thesis on Corporate Governance and its effect on Share Price but...

glpZFRg.jpg

Anyway, I'd be fine for Xbox to have the streaming / subscription market.... and PlayStation to have the hardware and game sales market.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

It's clear that even with the first parties added for 3 months and the cheaper annual price, growth has been bad. This market will be tough for Sony no doubt since it goes against their whole business model.

But let's be honest, Sony already lost the race.

XCloud is coming to Samsung devices and XCloud is supporting Game Pass later this year. That alone brings A LOT more exposure to Xbox band and Xbox Game Pass. How can Sony compete against that?

Beyond consoles, PlayStation has no exposure or partnerships and that is something Sony will need to overcome because Sony has provided no incentive for any device manufacturer, carrier, or ISP to work with Sony to promote PSNow.

5 times? that's not bad, it use to be 10 times :messenger_tears_of_joy: give it a few more months, it'll only be 4 times...

That's assuming that Game Pass doesn't grow, it should be obvious that Game Pass is growing faster, so the gap will become bigger.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's clear that even with the first parties added for 3 months and the cheaper annual price, growth has been bad. This market will be tough for Sony no doubt since it goes against their whole business model.

XCloud is coming to Samsung devices and XCloud is supporting Game Pass later this year. That alone brings A LOT more exposure to Xbox band and Xbox Game Pass. How can Sony compete against that?

That's assuming that Game Pass doesn't grow, it should be obvious that Game Pass is growing faster, so the gap will become bigger.
They will find a way, Sony have some great games and people are willing to pay for both.

it’s not like Netflix users don’t have amazon prime as well. Market for both for all users

Put tht 1 dollar sub tht pops up all the time on there buddy 😂😂😂 you know what your doing.

With your logic... Sony waited for the Lockdown to happen worldwide to announce their subscription service increased to 2.2 million, 1 month later it'll decrease back down to less than a million.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

110 million consoles with actual game sales.... is winning.

46 million console sales while giving away subscriptions for 1 dollar.... is not winning. It's actually called losing.

Gears is meant to be a premier XBox IP and the sales are pathetic, Witcher 3 (which Xbox people love to claim) sold 4 times more on PlayStation.

I'd be totally fine with Xbox having the crappy streaming sector if they want to drop out of hardware.

12Dannu123

46 million console sales while giving away subscriptions for 1 dollar.... is not winning. It's actually called losing.

Gears is meant to be a premier XBox IP and the sales are pathetic, Witcher 3 (which Xbox people love to claim) sold 4 times more on PlayStation.

I'd be totally fine with Xbox having the crappy streaming sector if they want to drop out of hardware.

If that's what you think of the future of Game Streaming, then Sony is screwed in that market. Netflix makes no money and they have 140+ Million paying subscribers and no one else is close.

"Witcher 3 (which Xbox people love to claim) sold 4 times more on PlayStation."
Sold 4 times more on PlayStation you said but the numbers below shows otherwise are we making up fake stats now lol.

• PC: ~12 million
  • PS4: ~ 10.8 million
  • Xbox One: ~ 4.3 million
  • Nintendo Switch: ~ 700,000
  • Total: ~28.3 million

Last edited:

XCloud is coming to Samsung devices and XCloud is supporting Game Pass later this year. That alone brings A LOT more exposure to Xbox band and Xbox Game Pass. How can Sony compete against that? PSNow will only be confined to the console market and nowhere beyond it since Sony has done absolutely nothing to bring exposure to the service.

Is obvious that you thought I was serious. Let's be honest, you need to relax.

Last edited:

Jesb

I love gamepass on pc but why does the app run like trash? Nothing else is anywhere near as slow.

Top Bottom