• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass is five times more popular than PlayStation Now

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The bolded is silly talk in a video game forum though. Like the question that's underlined. What do you mean "who cares if UC4 is super profitable"? And I doubt MS will gouge Sony in pricing for their servers considering MS isn't the only ones out here with them.
Sure. Who cares. Why do you care so much that a game makes big profits? Minecraft and GTAV probably make more profits than UC4. Who cares. I guess some of you do.

I care about getting great games and service at $1 not worrying about the P/L statement for each game. MS bean counters can worry about that.

We differ in priorities.

Darth

I don't have an Xbox this generation but the PS Now selection is severely limited in selection. i just did a three month plan again to play through Killzone 2 again (damn this game is so good) and try some other stuff. I just wish it had more content.

I expect a pretty big revamp for PSNow on PS5 because right now, without day and date launches and with so many games requiring streaming (all of them if you're a PC user) there's really no mystery as to why Gamepass is doing better.

Gamepass is Super value when it cost me £1 for a couple of years but will all these customers still be signed up after it ends? I never touched it in months till streets if rage came out on there.
By the time the 1 dollar thing expires all the new studios MS acquired will be running at full throttle meaning games pass is going to have a constant stream of new first party stuff. Also in regards to the one dollar thing people still had to buy 3 years of Xbox Live to convert it with a dollar so in reality the promotion was a 120-180 dollar promotion pending on how many years of Xbox Live one stacked. The mental gymnastics around the 1 dollar promotion are pretty hilarious

Ifs no surprise why. When you give something away for next to nothing, it's easy to find enough value to subscribe. I have an x1x and I'm subscribed to gamepass, i havent played it since ori 2. I signed up to avoid buying ori 1. They're the only 2 games I've ever played through gamepass but for 5 bucks a month I'm not likely to cancel anytime soon 🤷‍♂️

pr0cs

I'll let MS worry about Xbox Gamepass denting their balance sheets where they make about $10 billion profit per quarter.
It's crazy, the worst kind of fanboyism.
I'm 'worried about the business viability of a multi billion dollar company'.. Who the fuck cares, if they can't sustain it that's their problem, in the meantime my bank account loves that I don't have to spend as much money to try a lot of new great games

Not really. I don't see MS putting GamePass on Playstation as long as they sell consoles.
I mean, yeah. It’s as much Sony not allowing GP on PS, I’d say if given the opportunity MS would absolutely put GP on PS. But my point was you just said “I won’t ever get GP” in a really convoluted way. So, ... cool for you? I guess.
I expect it to be much higher considering there were so many $1 deals.
Greater than 20% attach rate Vs Less than 2% attach rate. Yeah, should really be higher /s
\

Not enough for xbox to not release it on their streaming service day one
Let me rephrase that, nobody cool buys xbox games lol
Are you literally twelve? “Nobody cool”. Jesus Christ, grow up dude.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So? If they’re both on PC it would either equate to an equal boost in subs or the popularity of PS as a brand would suggest they’d get more PC subs. Doesn’t really mitigate the huge difference in console attach rate or overall subs.

regardless of how you feel. You're going to get a huge boost of subscribers if you give out subscriptions for a dollar.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's crazy, the worst kind of fanboyism.
I'm 'worried about the business viability of a multi billion dollar company'.. Who the fuck cares, if they can't sustain it that's their problem, in the meantime my bank account loves that I don't have to spend as much money to try a lot of new great games
Most of them actually don't care. But the last resort to putting up a defence is to justify paying $60 for a game when a competitor has a sub plan with first party games on day 1 is to play the game of video game forum accountant and "I care about balance sheets". It just kills them that many of us signed up for $1 and MS is funding it, yet Sony with it's huge PS growth and profits is giving them no deals or breaks. It's all about maximizing every dime from its user base. PS+ is down to two games, and the latest duo was Farming Simulator and City Skylines. lol. Years back it was about 6 games across PS4, PS3 and Vita. Sony never bothered boosting up the PS4 games to take into account the drop in legacy systems.

In life, it doesn't matter which brands you like. A good deal for anything is universally acknowledged as a score for consumers. People like getting a good deal when they buy things.

But only in fanboy video games do you see this where getting charged more is better.

Those same people surely use Amazon to buy stuff and sub to Netflix or other streaming sites. Most of these companies lose shit loads of money every year, with Amazon and Netflix squeaking out tiny profits if they're lucky. I think Amazon at one point lost money for 15 years in a row.

Yet I'm sure they don't criticize the service or balance sheets, since those brands are their favourite for online delivery and movies.

Last edited:
regardless of how you feel. You're going to get a huge boost of subscribers if you give out subscriptions for a dollar.
Yep, we’re well established in this thread that cheap subs = more subs. Does nothing to diminish the numbers difference given how oppositely skewed the console sales are. You and everyone spewing “bUt ItS oNlY oNe DoLlAr!” like it’s some kind of defence. Maybe ask for PsNow to be better instead. You guys love telling us otherwise how successful PS4 is so surely they can afford it?
You might want to rethink what your point is, because that's not what I said.
You said you might sub based on an entirely unrealistic scenario. You’re either being wilfully ignorant or your full of shit.

Azurro

Banned
So now you're revising the very numbers you initially stated. Ok. lol

Don't worry. If you're a Sony shareholder and enjoy Sony getting big revenue from selling first party games, that's fine.

I prefer paying $1 for 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate where there's first party games on day one and much more third party focus on recent games. And all games on the service are downloadable too. None of that streaming stuff.

I'll let MS worry about Xbox Gamepass denting their balance sheets where they make about $10 billion profit per quarter.

Not that I care all that much about any subscription service, but weren't you and others taking offence at people saying MS is giving away the service? And yet here you are saying you are paying $1 per month for 3 years. They ARE giving away the service, which makes sense, as they absolutely need a win, SOMETHING to show the Xbox division has growth somewhere, because so far the entire generation has been a failure for them in the market.

Psnow and game pass are two different services. I don’t see the point of game pass if games are consistently being taken away and replaced. Would it not be cheaper to just buy the games you like? Most of the games on game pass can be bought for less than £5 and who wants to play 80% of the games on offer?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Psnow and game pass are two different services. I don’t see the point of game pass if games are consistently being taken away and replaced. Would it not be cheaper to just buy the games you like? Most of the games on game pass can be bought for less than £5 and who wants to play 80% of the games on offer?
Except not really. The part of PS Now is exactly like gamepass. Besides if you have the GP, games are on 20% sale, at least when they are leaving and 10% off the DLC, so still a sale.

John254

Banned
Nope. They are almost exactly same
1. difference: PS Now isn't supported in as many countries as Xbox Game Pass (but they are support in all of main markets)
2. difference: Sony is taking away even 1st party games after some time, while Microsoft will have their 1st party games in Game Pass always
3. difference: PS Now will also let you stream your games (Game Pass will allow you that too, after xCloud release)
In both services you are paying monthly fee to play bunch of games which can go away after some time. But at least Microsoft will give you 20% off game purchase if the game is leaving GP.

I prefer Gamepass, it's just a better service and is available on Xbox and my PC. Paying £10p/m to stream games at 30fps or less does not strike me as a worthwhile use of my money.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Most of them actually don't care. But the last resort to putting up a defence is to justify paying $60 for a game when a competitor has a sub plan with first party games on day 1 is to play the game of video game forum accountant and "I care about balance sheets". It just kills them that many of us signed up for $1 and MS is funding it, yet Sony with it's huge PS growth and profits is giving them no deals or breaks. It's all about maximizing every dime from its user base. PS+ is down to two games, and the latest duo was Farming Simulator and City Skylines. lol. Years back it was about 6 games across PS4, PS3 and Vita. Sony never bothered boosting up the PS4 games to take into account the drop in legacy systems.

In life, it doesn't matter which brands you like. A good deal for anything is universally acknowledged as a score for consumers. People like getting a good deal when they buy things.

But only in fanboy video games do you see this where getting charged more is better.

Those same people surely use Amazon to buy stuff and sub to Netflix or other streaming sites. Most of these companies lose shit loads of money every year, with Amazon and Netflix squeaking out tiny profits if they're lucky. I think Amazon at one point lost money for 15 years in a row.

Yet I'm sure they don't criticize the service or balance sheets, since those brands are their favourite for online delivery and movies.

Good post. I own a PS4 and not an Xbox One but I've been wondering for years what the fuck Sony are doing with PS+. It was amazing at first when they cared and now it's arse shite.

PS Now is an acquired taste. That taste being contingent on whether or not you missed out on the PS3 era.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
If the game supports 60fps, you aren't going to get 60fps out of a game if it maxes out at 30fps or less.

Then how is framerate at all relevant to what you were saying?

Its 5$ a month if you buy the year by the way.

Gamepass on PC is sub par at the moment. But yeah overall Gamepass is great value and a superior value proposition to PSNow.

Then how is framerate at all relevant to what you were saying?

Its 5$ a month if you buy the year by the way.

Gamepass on PC is sub par at the moment. But yeah overall Gamepass is great value and a superior value proposition to PSNow.

The games are running at 30fps, that's the core point. A stream capable of 60fps doesn't mean anything if the titles i want to play only run at a maximum of 30fps.

As a PC player, paying a monthly sub to have 30fps titles streamed to my machine rather, than being able to download the games and play them on my actual hardware is not worthwhile to me. I certainly don't want to subscribe for a year to try and save some money on a dervice that doesn't seem all that great in the first place. I wish there were more titles on the PC iteration of gamepass, but it's decent so far and there is plenty to play.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Same can be said for any pro Sony article anywhere else. Why would that be any different?

The data should be out there. Compare global revenue and sales for PlayStation vs the same for Xbox and see the amount of pro PlayStation vs pro Xbox articles by these contributors and do the maths... for all intents and purposes, even judging the interest PS5 material gets on social channels, abundance of excited PS material should be what you expect.

If that's what you think of the future of Game Streaming, then Sony is screwed in that market. Netflix makes no money and they have 140+ Million paying subscribers and no one else is close.
Movies are not games, almost everybody in the world loves watching movies, a smaller part of people loves to play games😉

d7LvO3M.png

MupGHj0.png

:messenger_hushed:
These guys have nerves... "over 100 games" for the same price as "hundreds of games" , and they get praised by some for it.

Kokoloko85

Kokoloko85 has spoken. Sony has officially won the console war.

Lol You dont need me to tell you Sony won the console war.
When has Sony lost a console war? Unless you count grandma’s toy the wii lol
Anyone that actually thinks xbox is gonna ever gonna sell close to the 360 era is living in lala land

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I mean, yeah. It’s as much Sony not allowing GP on PS, I’d say if given the opportunity MS would absolutely put GP on PS. But my point was you just said “I won’t ever get GP” in a really convoluted way. So, ... cool for you? I guess.

Greater than 20% attach rate Vs Less than 2% attach rate. Yeah, should really be higher /s

Are you literally twelve? “Nobody cool”. Jesus Christ, grow up dude.

How about relax lol.... its a joke or is it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not that I care all that much about any subscription service, but weren't you and others taking offence at people saying MS is giving away the service? And yet here you are saying you are paying $1 per month for 3 years. They ARE giving away the service, which makes sense, as they absolutely need a win, SOMETHING to show the Xbox division has growth somewhere, because so far the entire generation has been a failure for them in the market.
Not taking offence at all. More to do with if MS wants give people GP for $1, I'll take it and it's a good deal. And that people picking it apart are basically Sony fans, since their sub plan is regular price.

Not too often in life people try to defend getting charged more by corporations. But if it suits their agenda that paying full price for games is better than paying $1 for 3 years of first party day one games, so be it.

It's like the old PS3 days when Sony was losing $200-300 per unit at the beginning. Who cares. Let them. Whether or not someone liked the launch games, the $600 price was cheaper than BR players which were about $1000 and PS3 even plays games so it is a double featured system. PS3 was even cheaper than Sony's own dedicated BR players.

Why complain? Sounds like a good deal. Let Sony's finance department worry about losing money. Di you want to get charged $600 for PS3? Or $1000?

Last edited:
OK that fine you keep paying 60 bucks for every game wile i paid nothing and get all the games launch day 1 for basically free which is better for the consumer spending 60 bucks or just 1 dollar or even free.
  1. You own none of these games
  2. Not all games are 60$ (most aren't)
  3. The price of 60$ games drops pretty fast
  4. If the games you get "day 1" aren't good enough to buy, they are not worth your time
  5. Games are day 1 only a couple of hours
  6. The gamespass library is only "over 100" games, this is not nearly enough to replace a personal library where you play the games you want and choose... I mean, pick 100 games at random what are the chances they are the ones you would buy if you were given the choice?
But the most important point is that you lie to yourself and others about the real price of the service sure for 1$ it's inconsequential on anyone's budget... but also, I did not even bother to register for the service to try out Gears 5, Ms needs to step up their game for the whole "day 1 games" argument to carry any significant weight... so 9.99$ is what people will pay for it in a couple of months, no way it makes sense, imagine Netflix with "over 100" movies and TV shows, they would never ave made a dent in Blockbuster physical rentals service.

They get praised because you can actually download the games. Which is a far better way of delivering games than streaming them.
PSNow allows you to download games that are native to your platform, does gamepass allow you to stream console games to PC?

Either way, PSNow has 370 PS2 and PS4 games that you can download, more than the whole gamepass library.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I'd give you gold if I could. But poor. Thank God game pass is only $1! Am I right!?

PSNow allows you to download games that are native to your platform, does gamepass allow you to stream console games to PC?

Either way, PSNow has 370 PS2 and PS4 games that you can download, more than the whole gamepass library.

It's not a streaming service, so they don't stream games to you at all. You just download them, that's why people like it.
You can stream Xbone games remotely to your PC, though not directly from their servers. But that's not really all that appealing to many people anyway, they like the downloads and using their hardware to run the games.

Also, PSNOW does not allow you to download and stream to all native devices. Only PS4 can download titles.
Downloading Games from PlayStation Now to Your PlayStation 4

Azurro

Banned
Not taking offence at all. More to do with if MS wants give people GP for $1, I'll take it and it's a good deal. And that people picking it apart are basically Sony fans, since their sub plan is regular price.

Not too often in life people try to defend getting charged more by corporations. But if it suits their agenda that paying full price for games is better than paying $1 for 3 years of first party day one games, so be it.

It's like the old PS3 days when Sony was losing $200-300 per unit at the beginning. Who cares. Let them. Whether or not someone liked the launch games, the $600 price was cheaper than BR players which were about $1000 and PS3 even plays games so it is a double featured system. PS3 was even cheaper than Sony's own dedicated BR players.

Why complain? Sounds like a good deal. Let Sony's finance department worry about losing money. Di you want to get charged $600 for PS3? Or $1000?

This just means that you don't understand the market. Of course it's a great deal, because as I mentioned, MS needs some sort of winner product/service as they have had a terrible few years. Even the One X meant nothing in the market other than a great PR move for their core base, as its release didn't end up stimulating sales of the console.

What I want you to understand is the following: No service that is given away for free is sustainable. What does that mean and why do people care when criticising a service? It's simple, if there is no financial incentive, no company will continue in that line of business/service. It's a bit bigger whether you get a great deal or not, it has to be a win/win scenario for both consumers and producers, otherwise it goes away, or it changes.

Let's take an example, mobile apps. Everyone had rushed to try to get everyone to install theirs and no one knew what were the proper price points, they just knew there were hundreds of millions of potential new customers and they wanted those bucks. The result was a race to the bottom, where eventually every app was a couple of bucks or just plain free. Sounds great, excellent value for customers, right? Well, not exactly, in the case of games, you can't have a sustainable business giving away your games, you need to pay facilities, developers, equipment, so on and so forth, something has got to give.

So, if you can't exist with the price of the game on the story, what do you do? Well, voila, the answer was, Games as a Service and micro transactions, which lead to the discovery of whales, marketing to children and people with addictive personalities and other lovely things. So, the developers adapted to the market, created awful games designed to draw you in then annoy you until you agreed to either give them money or quit.

That is why when people brag over a service because of stupid console wars (and anyone that does has the mental maturity of a 5 year old) then that is why this is pointed out: anyone can give away something in a closed system with a captive audience. Anyone.

The question is, how will the service fare once it stops being given away for free? How long is MS willing to keep funding this system for tiny, tiny revenues? What proportion of customers are paying the actual monthly fee vs the given away memberships? And so on and so forth. They are relevant questions and they spur conversation and they will reveal how sustainable it is.

What is not healthy is having the attitude of "fuck corporations, let them bleed!" because that just reveals a lack of understanding that that thing you enjoy will disappear if it doesn't end up being very profitable for any company.

It's not a streaming service, so they don't stream games to you at all. You just download them, that's why people like it.
You can stream Xbone games remotely to your PC, though not directly from their servers. But that's not really all that appealing to many people anyway, they like the downloads and using their hardware to run the games.

Also, PSNOW does not allow you to download and stream to all native devices. Only PS4 can download titles.
Downloading Games from PlayStation Now to Your PlayStation 4
Even then, gamepass offers less downloadable games than PSNow.

From what I understand there are very few PC games anyway, and the library is barely existant on gamepass, so I'm not sure the "love" goes beyond liking to listen to Phil talk about it, or the discounted price some people get.

Gamepass: no streaming + very few downloadable games
PSNow: lets you stream games that aren't on your platform + a bigger and better selection of games for the same base price.. Still not interesting.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What I want you to understand is the following: No service that is given away for free is sustainable. What does that mean and why do people care when criticising a service? It's simple, if there is no financial incentive, no company will continue in that line of business/service. It's a bit bigger whether you get a great deal or not, it has to be a win/win scenario for both consumers and producers, otherwise it goes away, or it changes.
Quote me or anyone on this board who took advantage of the GP deal thinking the $1 deal will be forever.

And even if MS yanks it after 3 years, who cares? Let their bean counters care. Like many people, I get GP for 3 years for a total of $1 + tax.

People like you are paying full price for games and PS Now.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see what happens to GP subs when the price goes from $12 a year to $180
It's actually not $12/yr.

It's $1 flat to upgrade Gold to GP Ultimate for a max of 3 years (actually $1 + tax).

So lots of people extended their Gold for 3 years (I did mine to 2022), then upgraded for $1.

Even then, gamepass offers less downloadable games than PSNow.

From what I understand there are very few PC games anyway, and the library is barely existant on gamepass, so I'm not sure the "love" goes beyond liking to listen to Phil talk about it, or the discounted price some people get.

Gamepass: no streaming + very few downloadable games
PSNow: lets you stream games that aren't on your platform + a bigger and better selection of games for the same base price.. Still not interesting.

Just being able to download the games is the catch. Very few people want to pay to stream games that are generally only hitting 30fps at most, with no guarantee of stability. If the person owns an xbox, as well as their PC, it's actually quite a lot of games to choose from. (Edit: Almost 200 to choose from, with probably more on the way)

Even if i owned a PS4 i would not be interested in PSNOW. But downloading games via gamepass suits me pretty well, and a lot of other people i know. Going by the numbers, it seems like a common theme.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Quote me or anyone on this board who took advantage of the GP deal thinking the $1 deal will be forever.

And even if MS yanks it after 3 years, who cares? Let their bean counters care. Like many people, I get GP for 3 years for a total of $1 + tax.

People like you are paying full price for games and PS Now.

Ah, so you are just a mindless fanboy, kind of wasted that explanation, it seems you read nothing on what a sustainable service/product is. I'm not subscribed to PsNow btw, just explaining the difference.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ah, so you are just a mindless fanboy, kind of wasted that explanation, it seems you read nothing on what a sustainable service/product is. I'm not subscribed to PsNow btw, just explaining the difference.
I don't need someone telling me a service costing $1 for 3 years isn't a lifetime price.

But if it makes you feel better, thanks for the business tip!

lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom