• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass: Oxenfree 3 million plus installs via Game Pass

Probably good numbers for them.

But i've bought it for forever for 4$ instead of rent it for 2$. Maybe i'm a more valuable buyer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What does this mean for the developer? Does Game Pass have a revenue sharing system in place?
They aren't officially allowed to disclose that, but there have been some leaks that suggest there is a revenue share in place that is based on several factors but predominantly based on "interaction time" (play time, essentially).

So if you're a Game Pass subscriber and you only used your subscription to play Oxenfree this month, the Oxenfree devs will get the lion's share of your $10. If you played this game for an hour and another game for nine hours, they'll get approximately 1/10th of the split.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's a really cool game and I'm ashamed I only played it a few months ago after getting a recommendation from a friend. I'll be getting Afterparty on day 1.

How many of those 1 million sales was from people who played it for free through gamepass first?

In fact, how many of those sales were from current gamepass suscribers overall? Id love to know this info to see if having your game on gamepass translates to more sales.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is a really cool little game, btw. Recommended, especially for spooky month.

They aren't officially allowed to disclose that, but there have been some leaks that suggest there is a revenue share in place that is based on several factors but predominantly based on "interaction time" (play time, essentially).

So if you're a Game Pass subscriber and you only used your subscription to play Oxenfree this month, the Oxenfree devs will get the lion's share of your $10. If you played this game for an hour and another game for nine hours, they'll get approximately 1/10th of the split.

If this is how it works, this seems like a really smart way of doing things.

ethomaz

Banned
3 million is the combination of installs and giveaway... basically what they didn't got money from.
1 million is what they really sold and got money.

Humdinger

That's great sales for an indie. It's a good game and deserves it.

It's hard to know what the Gamepass numbers mean. It's a free download, so it doesn't tell you anything about whether those people went on to actually buy the game or not. They must get something for having their game on GP to begin with (otherwise why do it), although I don't know how that works.

jakinov

3 million is the combination of installs and giveaway... basically what they didn't got money from.
1 million is what they really sold and got money.
Depends on the model. They could have got a nice lump sum for being on game pass. Or enough to cover a salary or two if they made a nickel per install/play.

manfestival

It's there in the US on both Microsoft Store and Xbox (Beta) app. "Included with XGP" for PC.

Perhaps it's not available in your country...
wild, it shows up on one of my computers but not the other. I went back to the other computer and it doesn't show up on it. *shrug* oh well, downloaded.

nikolino840

“What I was worried about was, 'Is this going to cannibalize other sales early on?' That was the main concern. If this is going to be out on the same platform -- I want people buying it on Xbox still -- but what we found out was not only did it not [cannibalize sales], it increased our sales everywhere else on every platform,” Krankel said.

Last edited:

Crew 511A

So Gamepass is working.

With all the sales Microsoft has on Gamepass, I don't understand how they make any money. I've never paid more than a few bucks a month for it. Using the Microsoft Rewards Program, I get it free all the time as well. It's a strange business model.

With all the sales Microsoft has on Gamepass, I don't understand how they make any money. I've never paid more than a few bucks a month for it. Using the Microsoft Rewards Program, I get it free all the time as well. It's a strange business model.
You're thinking short term...MS has a long play strategy and certainly has the money to see it through.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s not for you to understand then? It seems to be working well for them and will tie into xCloud rather well once it arrives. If it didn’t fit their business model, it wouldn’t exist.

just like xbox hardware sales.

if your going to fanboy couldn’t you simply try a little harder? The bar is getting pretty low with this one.

Last edited:

mejin

if your going to fanboy couldn’t you simply try a little harder? The bar is getting pretty low with this one.

we don't have numbers, nothing concrete. you have to forgive me for being skeptic.

so, it was just a little joke, peace.

we don't have numbers, nothing concrete. you have to forgive me for being skeptic.

so, it was just a little joke, peace.
As an optimist, I’d think That if they started shutting services down, then its time to consider that it’s over for Xbox. But as it is Satya just handed Phil a giant budget to make it bigger within the last year or two. To me, that’s a sign of growth, you don’t put money into something that’s failing.

Last edited:

Three

2012: 8 million sales
2017: 5 million players
2019: 3 million installs
2021: 1 million gazes at our icon

I'm just kidding, good for them. Weird metric though.

Gamepass is the greatest thing to happen to gamers in my 25+ years of gaming.

Whether or not its the best thing to happen to gaming is yet to be seen.

Keep it up Microsoft and I'll be buying xbox scarlett as well as a ps5

Maybe it’s not for you to understand then? It seems to be working well for them and will tie into xCloud rather well once it arrives. If it didn’t fit their business model, it wouldn’t exist.
Tell that to Moviepass.

At this point, I am way past assuming corporations are infallible. Don't assume corporations always make the right decisions, especially since you see evidence to the contrary every gen.

Last edited:
Tell that to Moviepass.

At this point, I am way past assuming corporations are infallible. Don't assume corporations always make the right decisions, especially since you see evidence to the contrary every gen.

Either way, Phil has only held the reigns as Vice President of The gaming division since October of 2017. So 1.25 years Isn’t a lot, but he’s done quite a bit in that amount of time. At that point he was given the budget to turn that ship around. I’m the end, Next-gen really matters for Xbox and I think they will be putting up quite the fight, which is exciting. None of us need a cocky Sony again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Either way, Phil has only held the reigns as Vice President of The gaming division since October of 2017. So 1.25 years Isn’t a lot, but he’s done quite a bit in that amount of time. At that point he was given the budget to turn that ship around. I’m the end, Next-gen really matters for Xbox and I think they will be putting up quite the fight, which is exciting. None of us need a cocky Sony again.

He’s always been in charge of Microsoft Games Studios the entire XB1 lifespan and a good bit before it, however.

Just as Shu is head of Sony’s WWS in contrast.

He’s always been in charge of Microsoft Games Studios the entire XB1 lifespan and a good bit before it, however.

Just as Shu is head of Sony’s WWS in contrast.
Head of Xbox Game Studios and Vice-President of The Xbox Division are far different in terms of hierarchy. He now can make executive decisions that he couldn’t make before and is able to now create change instead of providing ideas how to change. His only report to is Satya.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Head of Xbox Game Studios and Vice-President of The Xbox Division are far different in terms of hierarchy. He now can make executive decisions that he couldn’t make before and is able to now create change instead of providing ideas how to change. His only report to is Satya.

I understand that, that's why I added Shu as contrast. There was a huge difference in the game production between what essentially was equal jobs within their respective companies. the entire generation for both.

I am looking forward to next gen to see the fruits of their studio acquisition labor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom